independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Who's on your Mt. Funkmore?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 10/20/20 6:14am

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

Who's on your Mt. Funkmore?

On mine:

James Brown, George Clinton, Rick James, Prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 10/20/20 7:08am

CoolMF

James, Sly, George, Prince

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 10/20/20 8:08am

RJOrion

James Brown

George Clinton

Bootsy Collins

Mark Adams (Slave bass player)

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 10/20/20 9:28am

donnyenglish

George Clinton, Prince and Roger Troutman

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 10/20/20 10:58am

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

donnyenglish said:

George Clinton, Prince and Roger Troutman

I forgot about Roger...

You got one more pick.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 10/20/20 12:43pm

mrwiggles

James, SLY, The Dr GC & Bootsy

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 10/20/20 3:02pm

donnyenglish

MotownSubdivision said:

donnyenglish said:

George Clinton, Prince and Roger Troutman

I forgot about Roger... You got one more pick.

Rick James. I"m from Dayton, Ohio. There is an argument that the Funk Mr. Rushmore should be located in Dayton Ohio. Slave, Ohio Players, Zapp/Roger, Lakeside, Sun, Fazo, Van Hunt and others are from Dayton.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 10/20/20 4:33pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

George Clinton, James Brown, Rod Temperton, Sly Stone

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 10/20/20 4:56pm

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

donnyenglish said:



MotownSubdivision said:


donnyenglish said:

George Clinton, Prince and Roger Troutman



I forgot about Roger... You got one more pick.


Rick James. I"m from Dayton, Ohio. There is an argument that the Funk Mr. Rushmore should be located in Dayton Ohio. Slave, Ohio Players, Zapp/Roger, Lakeside, Sun, Fazo, Van Hunt and others are from Dayton.

Honestly, there should be no argument on this matter. No city in the world can hope to outfunk Dayton.

Have you been to the funk museum? I want to drive there to see it one day.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 10/20/20 5:05pm

donnyenglish

MotownSubdivision said:

donnyenglish said:

Rick James. I"m from Dayton, Ohio. There is an argument that the Funk Mr. Rushmore should be located in Dayton Ohio. Slave, Ohio Players, Zapp/Roger, Lakeside, Sun, Fazo, Van Hunt and others are from Dayton.

Honestly, there should be no argument on this matter. No city in the world can hope to outfunk Dayton. Have you been to the funk museum? I want to drive there to see it one day.

Not yet, but I plan to. Prince used to talk about how back in the day each city had their own sound and how the radio was different depending on what city you lived in. He talked about the rivalries between the cities. I remember that we would talk trash about how the Minneapolis sound and Motown could not compete with the Dayton sound. D.C. had their go go thing and Philly had their thing. It was a beautiful time to love music. Prince said that now radio all sounds the same and that is really a shame.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 10/20/20 5:16pm

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

donnyenglish said:



MotownSubdivision said:


donnyenglish said:



Rick James. I"m from Dayton, Ohio. There is an argument that the Funk Mr. Rushmore should be located in Dayton Ohio. Slave, Ohio Players, Zapp/Roger, Lakeside, Sun, Fazo, Van Hunt and others are from Dayton.



Honestly, there should be no argument on this matter. No city in the world can hope to outfunk Dayton. Have you been to the funk museum? I want to drive there to see it one day.


Not yet, but I plan to. Prince used to talk about how back in the day each city had their own sound and how the radio was different depending on what city you lived in. He talked about the rivalries between the cities. I remember that we would talk trash about how the Minneapolis sound and Motown could not compete with the Dayton sound. D.C. had their go go thing and Philly had their thing. It was a beautiful time to love music. Prince said that now radio all sounds the same and that is really a shame.

I didn't know Prince, himself, addressed this. I know others here who were around back then have mentioned how radio lineups varied across state lines VS everyone drinking from the same well now.

Speaking of Philly, apparently that's how The Hooters managed to nab a slot at Live Aid because of their local popularity. Can't picture that happening now.

The beauty of the Dayton Sound was that each band stood out sonically from the others. Definitely wouldn't confuse Lakeside for Slave or Sun for Sun for the Ohio Players. That's incredible.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 10/20/20 5:45pm

slyjackson

Sly, James, George and Bootsy and Prince

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 10/20/20 6:14pm

looby

Prince, Prince, Prince, and Prince! lol....Okay, that's my personal choice, but I would probably go with Prince, James Brown, Bootsy, and Sly.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 10/20/20 6:27pm

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

Remember y'all, keeping with the theme, you can choose up to and only 4 people.

Pick wisely! wink
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 10/20/20 6:33pm

OperatingTheta
n

James Brown, George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, Larry Graham and Prince.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 10/21/20 1:45am

phunkdaddy

avatar

James is the Godfather but for funk

PFunk,Barkays,Cameo,Rick James

Till this day I still have a few people tell me the PFunk tour of 1978
with Cameo and the Barkays is the funkiest show they ever witnessed.
[Edited 10/21/20 1:46am]
Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 10/21/20 6:07am

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

phunkdaddy said:

James is the Godfather but for funk

PFunk,Barkays,Cameo,Rick James

Till this day I still have a few people tell me the PFunk tour of 1978
with Cameo and the Barkays is the funkiest show they ever witnessed.
[Edited 10/21/20 1:46am]
All that funk on one stage?? :pop:

Is there footage??

Also, individually, who would you carve into your Mt. Funkmore?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 10/21/20 6:32am

datdude

MotownSubdivision said:

On mine:

James Brown, George Clinton, Rick James, Prince


u nailed it in one take! there could be others, but as it relates to hits, visibility, and influence, I concur.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 10/21/20 9:58am

phunkdaddy

avatar

MotownSubdivision said:

phunkdaddy said:

James is the Godfather but for funk

PFunk,Barkays,Cameo,Rick James

Till this day I still have a few people tell me the PFunk tour of 1978
with Cameo and the Barkays is the funkiest show they ever witnessed.
[Edited 10/21/20 1:46am]
All that funk on one stage?? eyepop

Is there footage??

Also, individually, who would you carve into your Mt. Funkmore?


There is a clip on YouTube in Houston when Parliament performed the show stopping finale Flashlight and invited the Barkays and Cameo on stage. Larry Dodson had on these big moon shades singing his ass off. lol I don't know how to post these YT videos now since they changed. A friend of mine who is a few years older told me he went to this show in Columbia SC and he still can't name a tour that was funkier.
Oh individually James Brown of course. George Clinton. Sly Stone, Sugarfoot
[Edited 10/21/20 10:00am]
Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 10/21/20 10:27am

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

phunkdaddy said:

MotownSubdivision said:

All that funk on one stage?? eyepop

Is there footage??

Also, individually, who would you carve into your Mt. Funkmore?


There is a clip on YouTube in Houston when Parliament performed the show stopping finale Flashlight and invited the Barkays and Cameo on stage. Larry Dodson had on these big moon shades singing his ass off. lol I don't know how to post these YT videos now since they changed. A friend of mine who is a few years older told me he went to this show in Columbia SC and he still can't name a tour that was funkier.
Oh individually James Brown of course. George Clinton. Sly Stone, Sugarfoot
[Edited 10/21/20 10:00am]
I'll scope that when I get off work but man, what a time to be alive. No doubt God had me born when I was for a reason but some times I wish I was born a few decades earlier.

I'm glad you mentioned Sugarfoot (stupid autocorrect). I was actually thinking about him when I made this topic and honestly I'm kinda on the fence including Prince and Rick, particularly the latter. Both have strong, strong cases but I'm not as sure after seeing some of these other names lol
[Edited 10/21/20 14:12pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 10/21/20 10:34am

phunkdaddy

avatar

MotownSubdivision said:

phunkdaddy said:



There is a clip on YouTube in Houston when Parliament performed the show stopping finale Flashlight and invited the Barkays and Cameo on stage. Larry Dodson had on these big moon shades singing his ass off. lol I don't know how to post these YT videos now since they changed. A friend of mine who is a few years older told me he went to this show in Columbia SC and he still can't name a tour that was funkier.
Oh individually James Brown of course. George Clinton. Sly Stone, Sugarfoot
[Edited 10/21/20 10:00am]
I'll scope that when I get off work but man, what a time to be alive. No doubt God had me born when I was for a reason but some times I wish I was born a few decades earlier.

I'm glad you mentioned Sugarcoat. I was actually thinking about him when I made this topic and honestly I'm kinda on the fence including Prince and Rick, particularly the latter. Both have strong, strong cases but I'm not as sure after seeing some of these other names lol


Me leaving Prince or Rick off is no disrespect but me paying homage to the
guys that paved the way. I was in the 6th grade during this PFunk tour in 78 and missed out but got to see Cameo and the Barkays in their prime once I got to high school and college and a few times during their golden years in the 2000's. lol
I never got to see PFunk until 2002. The band played onstage for 30 minutes
before George came out. lol
[Edited 10/21/20 10:41am]
Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 10/21/20 4:32pm

datdude

for clarity, and ease for the scupltors of said mountain. individuals only NOT groups! razz

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 10/21/20 4:51pm

mrwiggles

phunkdaddy said:

MotownSubdivision said:
I'll scope that when I get off work but man, what a time to be alive. No doubt God had me born when I was for a reason but some times I wish I was born a few decades earlier. I'm glad you mentioned Sugarcoat. I was actually thinking about him when I made this topic and honestly I'm kinda on the fence including Prince and Rick, particularly the latter. Both have strong, strong cases but I'm not as sure after seeing some of these other names lol
Me leaving Prince or Rick off is no disrespect but me paying homage to the guys that paved the way. I was in the 6th grade during this PFunk tour in 78 and missed out but got to see Cameo and the Barkays in their prime once I got to high school and college and a few times during their golden years in the 2000's. lol I never got to see PFunk until 2002. The band played onstage for 30 minutes before George came out. lol [Edited 10/21/20 10:41am]

I didn't see P-Funk live until 1980. A bit raggedy by then. That clip of Flashlight with Dodson and Blackmon is from Houston 1978.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 10/22/20 9:23am

CAL3

James Brown, Clyde Stubblefield, Fred Wesley, Bootsy
I’ve been informed that my opinion is worth less than those expressed by others here.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 10/22/20 9:30am

MattyJam

avatar

Any Mt Funkmore without Sylvester "Sly Stone" Stewart is like the Jackson 5 without MJ. Just wrong.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 10/22/20 10:14am

SantanaMaitrey
a

MattyJam said:

Any Mt Funkmore without Sylvester "Sly Stone" Stewart is like the Jackson 5 without MJ. Just wrong.


Exactly! And the same goes for Larry Graham, because funk would not be what it is without the slap bass. So here we go:
James Brown, excuse me, mr. Jaaaaames Brooooown!
Sly Stone
Larry Graham
George Clinton
Sorry for Prince, but he wasn't an innovator in the way these four were. Prince's greatest talent was mixing the funk with pop music and bringing the Linn drumbeats into it.
O tempora! O mores!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 10/22/20 12:26pm

SoulAlive

James Brown,Sly Stone,George Clinton,Prince

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 10/22/20 1:49pm

slyjackson

MattyJam said:

Any Mt Funkmore without Sylvester "Sly Stone" Stewart is like the Jackson 5 without MJ. Just wrong.

Indeed.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 10/22/20 6:31pm

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

SantanaMaitreya said:

MattyJam said:

Any Mt Funkmore without Sylvester "Sly Stone" Stewart is like the Jackson 5 without MJ. Just wrong.


Exactly! And the same goes for Larry Graham, because funk would not be what it is without the slap bass. So here we go:
James Brown, excuse me, mr. Jaaaaames Brooooown!
Sly Stone
Larry Graham
George Clinton
Sorry for Prince, but he wasn't an innovator in the way these four were. Prince's greatest talent was mixing the funk with pop music and bringing the Linn drumbeats into it.
That's why I'm second-guessing Prince on mine. While he was influential and damn funky, he wasn't a "funk star" like James, George and many of the others mentioned. Prince was far more of a pop star with heavy funk influences, mainly in the earlier part of his career.

Rick I'm unsure about to but he has a stronger hold on his spot because to me, he contributed more to the funk than P did. Really, a lot of what Prince was known for Rick did as well but it was primarily within the genre of funk. The closest he ever expanded out of that niche community was with Street Songs on sheer popularity and that was ALL funk.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 10/28/20 9:17pm

whodknee

avatar

James Brown

Bootsy Collins

Sly

Rick James

Cameo, The Ohio Players, Zapp, and Prince are all worthy but I can't leave these guys off.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Who's on your Mt. Funkmore?