independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Hidden gems on underwhelming/underperforming albums
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 3 <123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 09/23/20 2:23pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

I'd say almost any Hall & Oates song that had a lead vocal by John, since they were rarely released as singles. One in particular is Alone Too Long which is on their self titled album (aka Silver foil album).

You can take a black guy to Nashville from right out of the cotton fields with bib overalls, and they will call him R&B. You can take a white guy in a pin-stripe suit who’s never seen a cotton field, and they will call him country. ~ O. B. McClinton
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 09/23/20 3:08pm

RJOrion

MickyDolenz said:



CoolMF said:


Not to derail the thread but the bolded is an interesting statement that I've never heard from hardcore Stevie fans. Too "experimental" for me to get with other than the "Send One Your Love" joints but I'm curious as to why that's your favorite over Songs, Fulfillingness, or Innervisions.



It's a soundtrack to a plant life documentary. I'm not sure what kind of songs you would expect for that. lol I've seen the movie. It also has Here Comes The Sun by The Beatles in it. There's a previous plant album by Mort Garson called Mother Earth's Plantasia. The Garson album is designed to be played to plants. Playing music for flowers or talking to them and how the plants respond is brought up in the documentary, which was based on a book by the same name. It's interesting that Here Comes The Sun is in the movie because George Harrison was into gardening as a hobby at Friar Park. Maybe that's how it got approved.

I have some Sun Ra records, now that's more out there. In a way Stevie's soundtrack is kinda like a Sun Ra record by a mainstream singer. Maybe not music wise, but Sun Ra is an influence on Funkadelic & Earth Wind & Fire, esepcially the outfits and the Mothership. He was doing all that in the 1950s & 1960s. Stevie has a song called Saturn which is also something Sun Ra always talks about. Race Babbling is sort of like an early version of techno music. Herbie Hancock has a song from 1974 called Nobu that's electronic too.



i used to play Space Is The Place lp all the time, and my wife hated it, until i showed her the movie...then it all made sense...the EWF connection is real because SunRa and Maurice White have the same esoteric spiritual beliefs...it showed in thier music, lyrics, album art, and stage shows...theres even a sax solo and keyboard riffs on EWFs song "Energy" (on their 2nd album) thats pretty much lifted from the SunRa's Space Is The Place lp
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 09/23/20 3:12pm

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

"One More Chance" and "One More Night" by Phil Collins needs a mashup. It's the same damn song.

Janet threw Randy some money when she covered "One More Chance" on the IF maxi.

"Be Not Always" is a gem, too. It's really a precusor to stuff like "Man in the Mirror" and "Gone Too Soon."

Never really dug "Be Not Always". Out of all the tracks it feels the most like filler despite how much it stands out from the rest of the album.

Victory really is an intriguing query since as a simple compilation of songs, it's pretty good but it falls short as a collective album. Falls short even more when you take into account the hype, spectacle and hysteria surrounding it at the time.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 09/24/20 12:33pm

CoolMF

MickyDolenz said:

CoolMF said:

Not to derail the thread but the bolded is an interesting statement that I've never heard from hardcore Stevie fans. Too "experimental" for me to get with other than the "Send One Your Love" joints but I'm curious as to why that's your favorite over Songs, Fulfillingness, or Innervisions.

It's a soundtrack to a plant life documentary. I'm not sure what kind of songs you would expect for that. lol I've seen the movie. It also has Here Comes The Sun by The Beatles in it. There's a previous plant album by Mort Garson called Mother Earth's Plantasia. The Garson album is designed to be played to plants. Playing music for flowers or talking to them and how the plants respond is brought up in the documentary, which was based on a book by the same name. It's interesting that Here Comes The Sun is in the movie because George Harrison was into gardening as a hobby at Friar Park. Maybe that's how it got approved.

I have some Sun Ra records, now that's more out there. In a way Stevie's soundtrack is kinda like a Sun Ra record by a mainstream singer. Maybe not music wise, but Sun Ra is an influence on Funkadelic & Earth Wind & Fire, esepcially the outfits and the Mothership. He was doing all that in the 1950s & 1960s. Stevie has a song called Saturn which is also something Sun Ra always talks about. Race Babbling is sort of like an early version of techno music. Herbie Hancock has a song from 1974 called Nobu that's electronic too.

Gotcha. Kinda saw the movie back in college but that was decades ago. 'Preciate the response- you learn something new every day.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 09/24/20 6:51pm

alphastreet

slyjackson said:



alphastreet said:


X girlfriend and did I do that on Mariah’s rainbow album are hidden gems

And Crybaby the very best song in that album.



Also a good song! In a way I feel rainbow underperformed but had some really good r&b/hip hop tracks
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 09/24/20 8:48pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

Little Richard ~ The Rill Thing (The Rill Thing)
Little Richard ~ Money Is ($ Soundtrack)
Richard "Dimples" Fields ~ Taking Applications (Mr. Look So Good)
Richard "Dimples" Fields ~ Jazzy Lady {1977 version} (Ready For Anything)
Roger & The Human Body ~ Take A Break (Introducing Roger)
L.T.D. ~ Eldorado Joe (Gittin' Down)
Bobby McFerrin ~ Heaven's Design (Bang!Zoom)
En Vogue feat. Bobby McFerrin ~ Those Dogs (Masterpiece Theatre)
Jon Hendricks, Bobby McFerrin, Al Jarreau, George Benson ~ Freddie Freeloader (Jon Hendricks And Friends)
George Benson, Al Jarreau, Paul McCartney ~ Bring It On Home To Me (Givin' It Up)

Sugarhill Gang ~ Bad News (Sugarhill Gang) The lead vocal on this track is by Craig Derry, not Mike, Hank, or Master Gee
Chicago ~ Street Player (Chicago 13)
Rance Allen Group ~ Reason To Survive (Say My Friend)
Rance Allen Group ~ Where Did I Go Wrong (I Feel Like Going On)
Whitesnake ~ Belgian Tom's Hat Trick (Trouble)
Brand X ~ -Ish (Livestock) Phil Collins was the drummer in this band
Brand X ~ Disco Suicide (Moroccan Roll)

Van Halen ~ Stay Frosty (A Different Kind Of Truth)

You can take a black guy to Nashville from right out of the cotton fields with bib overalls, and they will call him R&B. You can take a white guy in a pin-stripe suit who’s never seen a cotton field, and they will call him country. ~ O. B. McClinton
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 09/25/20 4:32am

JoeTyler

"Out Go the Lights" - Music from Another Dimension (Aerosmith)

"Josephina" - Van Halen III (VH)

"Sink the Pink"/"Shake Your Foundations" - Fly on the Wall (AC/DC)

"Woman from Tokyo" - Who Do We Think We Are (Deep Purple)

"Never Say Die "- Never Say Die (Black Sabbath)

"God Gave Me Everything" - Goddess in the Doorway (Mick Jagger)

"Leave in Silence"- A Broken Frame (Depeche Mode)

"Love In Itself" / "Everything Counts" - Construction Time Again (Depeche Mode)

"Loving the Alien" / "Blue Jean" - Tonight (David Bowie)

"Time Will Crawl" - Never Let Me Down (David Bowie)

"Overjoyed" - In Square Circle (Stevie Wonder)

"You Will Know" - Characters (Stevie Wonder)

"These Three Words" - Jungle Fever (Stevie Wonder)

"Song for Guy" - A Single Man (Elton John)

"Sad Songs" - Breaking Hearts (Elton John)

"Nikita" - Ice on Fire (Elton John)

"Sacrifice" - Sleeping With the Past (Elton John)

"The One" / "Runaway Train" - The One (Elton John)

"Believe" - Made in England (Elton John)

"Come Go With Me"- MIU Album (The Beach Boys)

"Good Timin' " - LA Album (The Beach Boys)

"Male Ego" - The Beach Boys '85 (The Beach Boys)

"Serious" / "My Antarctica" - Liberty (Duran Duran)

"Stone Love" - Forever (Kool and the Gang)

"Solid Rock" - Saved (Bob Dylan)

"Brownsville Girl" - Knocked Out Loaded (Bob Dylan)

"Silvio" - Down in the Groove (Bob Dylan)

"Girl Gone Wild" - MDNA (Madonna)

"Something Beautiful Remains" - Wildest Dreams (Tina Turner)

"Living for Love" - Rebel Heart (Madonna)

"Every Breaking Wave" - Songs of Innocence (U2)

I could include Prince in the 2010s but the wounds are still fresh. RIP.

[Edited 9/25/20 5:08am]

tinkerbell
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 09/25/20 4:38am

JoeTyler

MickyDolenz said:


Whitesnake ~ Belgian Tom's Hat Trick (Trouble)

Uh, no lol Solid album '70s hard-rock from start to finish.

tinkerbell
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 09/25/20 7:08am

MickyDolenz

avatar

JoeTyler said:

Uh, no lol Solid album '70s hard-rock from start to finish.

The album was not a popular seller though, which is the case on pretty much everything I've listed in this thread. Whitesnake was not really a thing (in the USA at least) until that record with Here I Go Again & Is This Love. In Square Circle by Stevie Wonder was a popular album with several hit singles. So that does not qualify any more than Thriller does.

You can take a black guy to Nashville from right out of the cotton fields with bib overalls, and they will call him R&B. You can take a white guy in a pin-stripe suit who’s never seen a cotton field, and they will call him country. ~ O. B. McClinton
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 09/25/20 2:34pm

slyjackson

JoeTyler said:

"Out Go the Lights" - Music from Another Dimension (Aerosmith)

"Josephina" - Van Halen III (VH)

"Sink the Pink"/"Shake Your Foundations" - Fly on the Wall (AC/DC)

"Woman from Tokyo" - Who Do We Think We Are (Deep Purple)

"Never Say Die "- Never Say Die (Black Sabbath)

"God Gave Me Everything" - Goddess in the Doorway (Mick Jagger)

"Leave in Silence"- A Broken Frame (Depeche Mode)

"Love In Itself" / "Everything Counts" - Construction Time Again (Depeche Mode)

"Loving the Alien" / "Blue Jean" - Tonight (David Bowie)

"Time Will Crawl" - Never Let Me Down (David Bowie)

"Overjoyed" - In Square Circle (Stevie Wonder)

"You Will Know" - Characters (Stevie Wonder)

"These Three Words" - Jungle Fever (Stevie Wonder)

"Song for Guy" - A Single Man (Elton John)

"Sad Songs" - Breaking Hearts (Elton John)

"Nikita" - Ice on Fire (Elton John)

"Sacrifice" - Sleeping With the Past (Elton John)

"The One" / "Runaway Train" - The One (Elton John)

"Believe" - Made in England (Elton John)

"Come Go With Me"- MIU Album (The Beach Boys)

"Good Timin' " - LA Album (The Beach Boys)

"Male Ego" - The Beach Boys '85 (The Beach Boys)

"Serious" / "My Antarctica" - Liberty (Duran Duran)

"Stone Love" - Forever (Kool and the Gang)

"Solid Rock" - Saved (Bob Dylan)

"Brownsville Girl" - Knocked Out Loaded (Bob Dylan)

"Silvio" - Down in the Groove (Bob Dylan)

"Girl Gone Wild" - MDNA (Madonna)

"Something Beautiful Remains" - Wildest Dreams (Tina Turner)

"Living for Love" - Rebel Heart (Madonna)

"Every Breaking Wave" - Songs of Innocence (U2)

I could include Prince in the 2010s but the wounds are still fresh. RIP.

[Edited 9/25/20 5:08am]

Agree on Living For Love, although there are much more gems in that album than Living For Love like Beautiful Scars, Best Night, Joan of Arc and some others. The same with MDNA Falling Free.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 09/28/20 8:50am

emesem

Liz Phair "Friend of Mine" on Funstyle (althought I really liked that album).

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 10/01/20 5:27am

gsmith5678

I'll Be Alright from TTD's Neither Fish Nor Flesh.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 10/01/20 9:00pm

Superstition

avatar

Stevie’s “Journey” isn’t one I listen to in full often, but Send One Your Love, A Seed’s a Star/Tree medley, Black Orchid and Same Old Story are excellent. Race Babbling sounds like a precursor to techno/house music, and Power Flower is sublime. It’s one of the only songs Stevie sings with falsetto. A really smooth track.

Outside My Window is a grower too. If you take the vocal tracks and put them in a playlist, it’s quite an intriguing listen.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 10/05/20 1:19am

slyjackson

Superstition said:

Stevie’s “Journey” isn’t one I listen to in full often, but Send One Your Love, A Seed’s a Star/Tree medley, Black Orchid and Same Old Story are excellent. Race Babbling sounds like a precursor to techno/house music, and Power Flower is sublime. It’s one of the only songs Stevie sings with falsetto. A really smooth track. Outside My Window is a grower too. If you take the vocal tracks and put them in a playlist, it’s quite an intriguing listen.

It's a very good album actually.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 10/06/20 12:40am

BlueShakooo

Nik Kershaw:
"Cowboys and Indians" on "The Works".
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 10/14/20 2:54pm

slyjackson

Shakira has some of these and so Mariah like Crybaby in the Rainbow album.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 10/20/20 8:47am

MickyDolenz

avatar

Freedom Williams (C+C Music Factory) ~ Groove Your Mind (Freedom)

You can take a black guy to Nashville from right out of the cotton fields with bib overalls, and they will call him R&B. You can take a white guy in a pin-stripe suit who’s never seen a cotton field, and they will call him country. ~ O. B. McClinton
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 10/20/20 6:48pm

wilmer

Whatever Happens from Invincible. I think Invincible was an underperforming record by MJ's standards.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 10/21/20 1:47pm

slyjackson

wilmer said:

Whatever Happens from Invincible. I think Invincible was an underperforming record by MJ's standards.

That song is great, Threatened, Heaven Can Wait, Butterflies, Breakdown, Invincible, Unbreakable.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 10/21/20 1:59pm

alphastreet

wilmer said:

Whatever Happens from Invincible. I think Invincible was an underperforming record by MJ's standards.

Nous material
Yes!!! One of the best songs on the album, it’s a shame it wasn’t a single though someone once auditioned with it on American idol. Had it been released it would have been a hit like maria maria

I listened to invincible after so long the other day and used to think it was one of his best but felt differently once more songs of his came out after 2001 and some of the posthumous material. But still glad it got voted album of the decade by billboard, made me feel like he won!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 10/21/20 4:01pm

wilmer

alphastreet said:

wilmer said:

Whatever Happens from Invincible. I think Invincible was an underperforming record by MJ's standards.

Nous material
Yes!!! One of the best songs on the album, it’s a shame it wasn’t a single though someone once auditioned with it on American idol. Had it been released it would have been a hit like maria maria

I listened to invincible after so long the other day and used to think it was one of his best but felt differently once more songs of his came out after 2001 and some of the posthumous material. But still glad it got voted album of the decade by billboard, made me feel like he won!


What do you think of Butterflies? I thought it was a departure in sound. Beautiful song though. I wish he would have done more unexpected things like that. Outside the lines. Don't you wish Michael had done an unplugged show, sort of like Babyface?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 10/21/20 4:09pm

slyjackson

alphastreet said:

wilmer said:
Whatever Happens from Invincible. I think Invincible was an underperforming record by MJ's standards.
Nous material Yes!!! One of the best songs on the album, it’s a shame it wasn’t a single though someone once auditioned with it on American idol. Had it been released it would have been a hit like maria maria I listened to invincible after so long the other day and used to think it was one of his best but felt differently once more songs of his came out after 2001 and some of the posthumous material. But still glad it got voted album of the decade by billboard, made me feel like he won!

Really? In which way they regarded that album as album of the decade? there are thousands of better albums that decade than Invincible

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 10/21/20 4:16pm

alphastreet

wilmer said:

alphastreet said:


Nous material
Yes!!! One of the best songs on the album, it’s a shame it wasn’t a single though someone once auditioned with it on American idol. Had it been released it would have been a hit like maria maria

I listened to invincible after so long the other day and used to think it was one of his best but felt differently once more songs of his came out after 2001 and some of the posthumous material. But still glad it got voted album of the decade by billboard, made me feel like he won!


What do you think of Butterflies? I thought it was a departure in sound. Beautiful song though. I wish he would have done more unexpected things like that. Outside the lines. Don't you wish Michael had done an unplugged show, sort of like Babyface?


I like it, but it didn’t catch me until the third listen or so. Now I think it’s one of the best on the album. An unplugged show would have been so great, I think he was going for that for the cancelled one night only show in 95
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 10/21/20 4:18pm

alphastreet

slyjackson said:



alphastreet said:


wilmer said:
Whatever Happens from Invincible. I think Invincible was an underperforming record by MJ's standards.

Nous material Yes!!! One of the best songs on the album, it’s a shame it wasn’t a single though someone once auditioned with it on American idol. Had it been released it would have been a hit like maria maria I listened to invincible after so long the other day and used to think it was one of his best but felt differently once more songs of his came out after 2001 and some of the posthumous material. But still glad it got voted album of the decade by billboard, made me feel like he won!

Really? In which way they regarded that album as album of the decade? there are thousands of better albums that decade than Invincible



People had to vote on the billboard site so fans got all over it. I agree there are much better albums from the decade that aged better than invincible, from Mariah and beyonce to name a few
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 10/21/20 4:33pm

slyjackson

alphastreet said:

slyjackson said:

Really? In which way they regarded that album as album of the decade? there are thousands of better albums that decade than Invincible

People had to vote on the billboard site so fans got all over it. I agree there are much better albums from the decade that aged better than invincible, from Mariah and beyonce to name a few

NOW I get it. Yes, they released better albums, well Mariah not so much Beyoncé. Still Invincible is a good album.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 10/21/20 6:53pm

alphastreet

slyjackson said:



alphastreet said:


slyjackson said:


Really? In which way they regarded that album as album of the decade? there are thousands of better albums that decade than Invincible



People had to vote on the billboard site so fans got all over it. I agree there are much better albums from the decade that aged better than invincible, from Mariah and beyonce to name a few

NOW I get it. Yes, they released better albums, well Mariah not so much Beyoncé. Still Invincible is a good album.



It’s definitely a good album, but not better than his past ones if you know what I mean though it had a lot of strong moments too. I thought mimi is one of mariahs best albums. Having said that, I do wish more singles were released from invincible and Sony didn’t mess with the album.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 10/22/20 1:39pm

slyjackson

alphastreet said:

slyjackson said:

NOW I get it. Yes, they released better albums, well Mariah not so much Beyoncé. Still Invincible is a good album.

It’s definitely a good album, but not better than his past ones if you know what I mean though it had a lot of strong moments too. I thought mimi is one of mariahs best albums. Having said that, I do wish more singles were released from invincible and Sony didn’t mess with the album.

What a shame Xscape wasn't released as a single or it would have been a great first single a great opener but not in Invincible but naother album because I don't think Xscape sound nothing alike Invincible album.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 10/22/20 2:52pm

alphastreet

slyjackson said:



alphastreet said:


slyjackson said:


NOW I get it. Yes, they released better albums, well Mariah not so much Beyoncé. Still Invincible is a good album.



It’s definitely a good album, but not better than his past ones if you know what I mean though it had a lot of strong moments too. I thought mimi is one of mariahs best albums. Having said that, I do wish more singles were released from invincible and Sony didn’t mess with the album.

What a shame Xscape wasn't released as a single or it would have been a great first single a great opener but not in Invincible but naother album because I don't think Xscape sound nothing alike Invincible album.



Xscape is amazing for sure, but I hear my was pissed when it leaked thanks to some fan who posted a private copy floating around on her site
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 10/22/20 4:12pm

slyjackson

alphastreet said:

slyjackson said:

What a shame Xscape wasn't released as a single or it would have been a great first single a great opener but not in Invincible but naother album because I don't think Xscape sound nothing alike Invincible album.

Xscape is amazing for sure, but I hear my was pissed when it leaked thanks to some fan who posted a private copy floating around on her site

A Place With No Name in my mind it's a sequel to Xscape, it would have been the second single after XSCAPE and a video connected to Xcape video.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 10/29/20 5:15am

MotownSubdivis
ion

avatar

Invincible is a strange beast in that while still very commercially successful, by MJ standards it was a grave disappointment.

It also, as an album, is not as good as MJ's previous works but is still vastly underrated at the same time and has plenty of gems hiding in plain sight.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 3 <123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Hidden gems on underwhelming/underperforming albums