independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 15th Jul 2019 10:04pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Jesse & Sly - Crazay
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 03/07/19 12:38pm

EekAhBoo

Jesse & Sly - Crazay

Always loved this song and video

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/07/19 1:05pm

SoulAlive

music

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 03/07/19 1:06pm

CoolMF

True story- back in my younger days (early to mid 90s), when "testing" out a new car stereo system, I'd play that song. Pioneer, Kenwood, it didn't matter- a true test of a car stereo's effectiveness was how hard it bumped the first 45 seconds of that song.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 03/07/19 10:11pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 03/08/19 10:33am

EekAhBoo

The remixes are cool too! I still have the 45s. How this collaboration even happened is interesting. There was a single already released with just Jesse singning before Sly came along to record.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 03/08/19 3:36pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

I have the 12" (45 rpm) promo copy of this. I always prefer the album version, though.


A1 Crazay (Remix) 8:18
A2 Crazay (Dub Version) 6:45
B1 Crazay (Paul Edit)
Edited By – Cameron Paul
4:21
B2 Crazay (7" Remix) 4:32

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 03/08/19 4:42pm

SoulAlive

Back when this song came out,there were rumors that Sly Stone was working on a solo comeback album and that Jesse would produce some of it.Such a shame that it never happened.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 03/09/19 12:35am

phunkdaddy

avatar

SoulAlive said:

Back when this song came out,there were rumors that Sly Stone was working on a solo comeback album and that Jesse would produce some of it.Such a shame that it never happened.

Yes he was supposed too. The only thing Sly got off the ground was a single from the

Soul Man soundtrack I believe Eek O Bo Static Automatic(Tell Me Where The Funk You Been)

I sure Sly's drug use got in the way of the supposed project.

Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 03/09/19 1:31am

EekAhBoo

phunkdaddy said:

SoulAlive said:

Back when this song came out,there were rumors that Sly Stone was working on a solo comeback album and that Jesse would produce some of it.Such a shame that it never happened.

Yes he was supposed too. The only thing Sly got off the ground was a single from the

Soul Man soundtrack I believe Eek O Bo Static Automatic(Tell Me Where The Funk You Been)

I sure Sly's drug use got in the way of the supposed project.

Sly made a lot of music. Jesse produced a few songs with him, as did some other notable names. But Sly was never satisfied with the music and that's why nothing ever came out. Btw, Eek Ah Boo was not a true Sly song! That was ruined by the label who just redid the music without Sly. The demos from the sessions with Sly were much funkier!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 03/09/19 4:01am

deebee

avatar

CoolMF said:

True story- back in my younger days (early to mid 90s), when "testing" out a new car stereo system, I'd play that song. Pioneer, Kenwood, it didn't matter- a true test of a car stereo's effectiveness was how hard it bumped the first 45 seconds of that song.

cool Nice.

"Not everything that is faced can be changed; but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 03/09/19 4:29am

RJOrion

EekAhBoo said:



Always loved this song and video




hell yeah...jesse's hats >>> _____
[Edited 3/9/19 4:31am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 03/09/19 10:27pm

sunlite

I would love to hear more songs from Jesse and and Syl's collaboration.
Release Yourself
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 03/10/19 4:36pm

SoulAlive

sunlite said:

I would love to hear more songs from Jesse and and Syl's collaboration.

me too

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 03/11/19 8:23am

EekAhBoo

Heard some stuff and it's really good but idk if it will ever get released sad

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 03/12/19 4:50pm

PeteSilas

never will cease to amaze me how he's still walking around and prince and mj are dead.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 03/13/19 10:27pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

I have the 12" (45 rpm) promo copy of this. I always prefer the album version, though.


A1 Crazay (Remix) 8:18 A2 Crazay (Dub Version) 6:45 B1 Crazay (Paul Edit)
Edited By – Cameron Paul
4:21 B2 Crazay (7" Remix) 4:32

What's Crazay as hell (see what I did there) is there were 2 different versions of the

Crazay 12 inch which I have both . One version was the Crazay Remix as you have posted

which was released after the original 12 inch which contained the Extended Version of Crazay

and the B side Drive Yo Cadillac. When I first heard the remix in which Jesse and Sly trade verses I immediately went out to buy it. Jesse was the 12 inch king during that time. He also had 12 inch

version of She(I Can't Resist) and Baby Let's Kiss.

Edit: Just noticed Mickey beat me too it.

[Edited 3/13/19 22:28pm]

Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 03/13/19 10:30pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

EekAhBoo said:

phunkdaddy said:

Yes he was supposed too. The only thing Sly got off the ground was a single from the

Soul Man soundtrack I believe Eek O Bo Static Automatic(Tell Me Where The Funk You Been)

I sure Sly's drug use got in the way of the supposed project.

Sly made a lot of music. Jesse produced a few songs with him, as did some other notable names. But Sly was never satisfied with the music and that's why nothing ever came out. Btw, Eek Ah Boo was not a true Sly song! That was ruined by the label who just redid the music without Sly. The demos from the sessions with Sly were much funkier!

I know he recorded with other artists. I was just mainly talking about the project with Jesse that

didn't go.

Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 03/14/19 10:54am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

phunkdaddy said:

What's Crazay as hell (see what I did there) is there were 2 different versions of the

Crazay 12 inch which I have both . One version was the Crazay Remix as you have posted

which was released after the original 12 inch which contained the Extended Version of Crazay

and the B side Drive Yo Cadillac. When I first heard the remix in which Jesse and Sly trade verses I immediately went out to buy it. Jesse was the 12 inch king during that time. He also had 12 inch

version of She(I Can't Resist) and Baby Let's Kiss.


Was it a 12" released in another country, maybe? Have you dug into it on Discogs to see where your two 12"'s were released? I'd be curious to know.


This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 03/14/19 11:35am

EekAhBoo

phunkdaddy said:

EekAhBoo said:

Sly made a lot of music. Jesse produced a few songs with him, as did some other notable names. But Sly was never satisfied with the music and that's why nothing ever came out. Btw, Eek Ah Boo was not a true Sly song! That was ruined by the label who just redid the music without Sly. The demos from the sessions with Sly were much funkier!

I know he recorded with other artists. I was just mainly talking about the project with Jesse that

didn't go.

There was never really a project bewteen Sly and Jesse. Anything they recorded just went towards what Sly was already working on since early 1985.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 03/14/19 4:22pm

UnderMySun

sunlite said:

I would love to hear more songs from Jesse and and Syl's collaboration.

A good case for releasing them as bonus tracks for a future reissue of Shockadelica. Plus Jesse Johnson's Revue and Every Shade of Love with bonus tracks as well.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 03/15/19 9:14am

phunkdaddy

avatar

I've had Jesse's She's A Doll on repeat for a few weeks

His first 2 albums were A+ material.

The musicians he had on those 2 albums were kick ass musicians.

Every Shade Of Love was good but not as good as the first 2.

Jesse played the majority of instruments on Every Shade Of Love and

it showed.

Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 03/19/19 7:54pm

SoulAlive

phunkdaddy said:

I've had Jesse's She's A Doll on repeat for a few weeks


His first 2 albums were A+ material.


The musicians he had on those 2 albums were kick ass musicians.


Every Shade Of Love was good but not as good as the first 2.


Jesse played the majority of instruments on Every Shade Of Love and


it showed.



I agree,’Every Shade Of Love’ has some great moments but it is noticeably weaker than the first two albums.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 03/20/19 3:49pm

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

PeteSilas said:

never will cease to amaze me how he's still walking around and prince and mj are dead.

So Prince, whom fought 4 his first record deal & got it, fought 4 a movie deal & got it, fought 4 freedom from his WB contract & got it, fought 4 his masters & got them.Gets a curable illness & says 2 himself ok, I'm done. "Life is a Box Of Chocolates"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 03/23/19 3:55am

EekAhBoo

UnderMySun said:

sunlite said:

I would love to hear more songs from Jesse and and Syl's collaboration.

A good case for releasing them as bonus tracks for a future reissue of Shockadelica. Plus Jesse Johnson's Revue and Every Shade of Love with bonus tracks as well.

A Shockadelica reissue would be good. There's a version of Crazay with Sly singing everything, that would be great to include.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 03/23/19 11:16am

sexton

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

phunkdaddy said:

What's Crazay as hell (see what I did there) is there were 2 different versions of the

Crazay 12 inch which I have both . One version was the Crazay Remix as you have posted

which was released after the original 12 inch which contained the Extended Version of Crazay

and the B side Drive Yo Cadillac. When I first heard the remix in which Jesse and Sly trade verses I immediately went out to buy it. Jesse was the 12 inch king during that time. He also had 12 inch

version of She(I Can't Resist) and Baby Let's Kiss.


Was it a 12" released in another country, maybe? Have you dug into it on Discogs to see where your two 12"'s were released? I'd be curious to know.



I have both "Crazay" 12" singles. They were both commercial U.S. realeases.

The 12" single to get back then was "Baby Let's Kiss" which revisits "Be Your Man" in the extended part of the remix. And the b-side "Fool's Paradise" was a rock song unlike anything Jesse had released up to that point.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 03/23/19 1:35pm

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

sexton said:

TrivialPursuit said:


Was it a 12" released in another country, maybe? Have you dug into it on Discogs to see where your two 12"'s were released? I'd be curious to know.



I have both "Crazay" 12" singles. They were both commercial U.S. realeases.

The 12" single to get back then was "Baby Let's Kiss" which revisits "Be Your Man" in the extended part of the remix. And the b-side "Fool's Paradise" was a rock song unlike anything Jesse had released up to that point.

That 12" remains in my playlist to this day! Jesse is SO underrated. I always thought that him & D'angelo could pick up where Prince left off and be prolific.

So Prince, whom fought 4 his first record deal & got it, fought 4 a movie deal & got it, fought 4 freedom from his WB contract & got it, fought 4 his masters & got them.Gets a curable illness & says 2 himself ok, I'm done. "Life is a Box Of Chocolates"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 03/23/19 10:03pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

sexton said:

TrivialPursuit said:


Was it a 12" released in another country, maybe? Have you dug into it on Discogs to see where your two 12"'s were released? I'd be curious to know.



I have both "Crazay" 12" singles. They were both commercial U.S. realeases.

The 12" single to get back then was "Baby Let's Kiss" which revisits "Be Your Man" in the extended part of the remix. And the b-side "Fool's Paradise" was a rock song unlike anything Jesse had released up to that point.

nod

He was the 12 inch vinyl king around this time.

Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 03/25/19 11:33am

scratchtasia

sexton said:

TrivialPursuit said:


Was it a 12" released in another country, maybe? Have you dug into it on Discogs to see where your two 12"'s were released? I'd be curious to know.



I have both "Crazay" 12" singles. They were both commercial U.S. realeases.

The 12" single to get back then was "Baby Let's Kiss" which revisits "Be Your Man" in the extended part of the remix. And the b-side "Fool's Paradise" was a rock song unlike anything Jesse had released up to that point.



Co-sign. I've got both of the "Crazay" 12" singles. It was sort of odd for there to be multiple 12" singles available for the same song, but it happened sometimes. There were a couple different ones for Janet Jackson's "Nasty," too.

And the "Baby Let's Kiss" remix is the one I return to most often. And I love "Fool's Paradise," too.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 03/25/19 11:56am

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

scratchtasia said:

sexton said:


I have both "Crazay" 12" singles. They were both commercial U.S. realeases.

The 12" single to get back then was "Baby Let's Kiss" which revisits "Be Your Man" in the extended part of the remix. And the b-side "Fool's Paradise" was a rock song unlike anything Jesse had released up to that point.



Co-sign. I've got both of the "Crazay" 12" singles. It was sort of odd for there to be multiple 12" singles available for the same song, but it happened sometimes. There were a couple different ones for Janet Jackson's "Nasty," too.

And the "Baby Let's Kiss" remix is the one I return to most often. And I love "Fool's Paradise," too.

Maybe because they were both on A&M Records. I have those 12" for both Jesse & Janet(including the nasty summertime mix)

So Prince, whom fought 4 his first record deal & got it, fought 4 a movie deal & got it, fought 4 freedom from his WB contract & got it, fought 4 his masters & got them.Gets a curable illness & says 2 himself ok, I'm done. "Life is a Box Of Chocolates"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Jesse & Sly - Crazay