independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > I hope Bruno takes the torch
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 04/29/16 10:41am

Astasheiks

avatar

emesem said:

I was thinking whatever Bruno does next may take him to the next level. I wonder if this raises the stakes for him and he really shoots for the top artistically.

Torch of what? Prince's Son is going to take the Purple Torch to continue on the Purple Music not Bruno Mars! eek razz lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 04/29/16 10:55am

lrn36

avatar

The reason there will never be another Prince because very few people will have the time and commitment that Prince had to his work. The man lived and breathed music 24/7 to the point of risking his health with little to no sleep. Aretha Franklin, "I love music, but not as much as Prince did." She described someone who was almost unreal in his devotion to creating. Prince was a rare combination of immense, varied talent, determination, artistic vision, and work ethic. There will never be another like him in our lifetime if ever.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 04/29/16 11:02am

BklynDiamond

avatar

lrn36 said:

The reason there will never be another Prince because very few people will have the time and commitment that Prince had to his work. The man lived and breathed music 24/7 to the point of risking his health with little to no sleep. Aretha Franklin, "I love music, but not as much as Prince did." She described someone who was almost unreal in his devotion to creating. Prince was a rare combination of immense, varied talent, determination, artistic vision, and work ethic. There will never be another like him in our lifetime if ever.

This and the fact that this generation does not understand the sacrifice that comes with that type of dedication.

It is not an overnight thing. You give in to the creativity whenever and wherever it is. You give total control to it to the muse and leave none for yourself.

I can see none of today's "stars" having that type of self sacrificing ... this is the me me me generation and that is all they care about.

Because of their half-baked mistakes, we get ice cream, no cake; all lies, no truth; is it fair to Kill the YOUTH ~~ Party Up
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 04/29/16 11:52am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

Astasheiks said:

emesem said:

I was thinking whatever Bruno does next may take him to the next level. I wonder if this raises the stakes for him and he really shoots for the top artistically.

Torch of what? Prince's Son is going to take the Purple Torch to continue on the Purple Music not Bruno Mars! eek razz lol

there is someone that claims to be but i doubt it very highly. there is also at least one other saying he is Prince's long lost half brother.


Show why people with an estate need a damn will.

The Spike is Real Wear a Mask (this is not the 2nd Wave)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 04/29/16 11:56am

leslievette

avatar

Bruno's cool and all...but nah. I met him years ago before he blew up. He sang the chorus on a friend of mines song and I was there for the video shoot. He's just ok to me. Uptown funk irritated the crap out of me. Actually, let me rephrase that. The fascination and hype over that song irritated me.

From now on, 4 U I shall be wild 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 04/29/16 11:56am

weirdozmedia

avatar

I see somebody like Pharrell as more like Prince than Bruno Mars, but even then it's just not the same thing. If anything I see Bruno as more following in Michael Jackson's footsteps. Prince & Pharrell are dudes that can go into the studio on their own and come out with a finished product, Bruno & MJ rely more on production teams and outside songwriters to help them create, and seem a bit more about the image and stage show (though Prince was an expert there as well, which makes him hard to match).

¡The Future Is Ours, If You Can Count! https://www.youtube.com/w...A_zTY0qWWk
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 04/29/16 12:22pm

meagemini2

leadline said:

Allanya said:

No! [img:$uid]http://www.theroot.com/content/dam/theroot/blogs/the_grapevine/2016/04/all_of_the_greatest_prince_gifs_you_could_ever_need/tumblr_n9qvk8570x1r3s3a3o1_500.gif[/img:$uid]

[Edited 4/29/16 8:12am]

Thank you for that pic, Prince has absolutely summed up my feelings on this.

What a nice surprise - sums it up - made me smile and tear up at the same time.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 04/29/16 12:26pm

wouldntulove2l
oveme

Allanya said:

No! [img:$uid]http://www.theroot.com/content/dam/theroot/blogs/the_grapevine/2016/04/all_of_the_greatest_prince_gifs_you_could_ever_need/tumblr_n9qvk8570x1r3s3a3o1_500.gif[/img:$uid]

[Edited 4/29/16 8:12am]

yeahthat

If a man is considered guilty
For what goes on in his mind
Then give me the electric chair
For all my future crimes"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 04/29/16 12:30pm

BombFunk

avatar

emesem said:

I was thinking whatever Bruno does next may take him to the next level. I wonder if this raises the stakes for him and he really shoots for the top artistically.

Purple Rain voice: just lay off it!

Seriously, it will take 100 Brunos to come anywhere close near what prince has done all by himself, so please stop this laughable suggestion. Thanks.


dove Forever changed dove wilted

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 04/29/16 12:33pm

meagemini2

lrn36 said:

meagemini2 said:

No apologies here - but there will not be another to pick up the torch. I can't even imagine. There was no one like him - think about it - one that writes, arranges, produces, sings and PLAYS on his albums. Really? Who else does that? I just don't see anyone of that caliber. Guitarists? yes. Singers? yes. Producers? Yes. Writers? yes. But all those things in one? Come on. No one even close. And I haven't even mentioned film, philanthropy, activist and entertainer yet? Peace and Love.

Jacob Collier is only 21 years old and wrote, produced, arranged, played all the instruments, and sang all the vocals on his debut album. He even made and edit his first music video. He's working with MIT to create equipment that would allow him to play multiple instruments and vocals in a live setting. As far as film, philanthropy, activist and entertainer, he's not there. But you never know.

Thank you for the enlightenment - I will be watching him. Rare. Peace and Love.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 04/29/16 12:34pm

RogerRoger

Bruno who?

If you mean Bruno Mars.. I can't remember any of his songs or melodies

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 04/29/16 12:37pm

Shawy89

avatar

With no disrespect, you guys are PLAIN diehard Prince fans. lol lol

Your opinion doesn't matter, you're not experienced in the music buisness, you're not record executives or famous recording artists, you're just fans who are willing to kill anyone who says "this one is the new Prince".

On the other hand, Frankie Valli, the front man of The Four Seasons, someone who's been around in the buisness since the 50's, has an opinion that clearly matters:



Same goes for Elton John, a respected artist who has more experience in "the way things go" than all of us here do, of course: (He even called him a junior Prince)

Here's Jimmy Jam - who's known Prince since high school - opinion about Bruno, an opinion that was based on his 30+ years old experience as a producer & label guy, therefore an opinion that is more relevant & important than our opinions, us, poor devils whose fascination with Prince is only matched with Prince's fascination with Prince: (There's an interview of Jam talking about Bruno in details but I couldn't find it)

Untitled 1

Adele, the biggest global superstar in our lifetime, says this, and yes, Adele is a musical talent who knows much more than you do: (@5:49)

And here's Prince's note to Bruno:


Why would your opinion matter at all? lol lol lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 04/29/16 12:51pm

kenkamken

avatar

Can the moderators please move this ridiculous thread to Other Artists forum? Thank you.

"So fierce U look 2night, the brightest star pales 2 Ur sex..."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 04/29/16 12:56pm

train23

Nobody can ever ever ever ever carry that mans torch!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 04/29/16 1:01pm

DarkKnight1

avatar

Shawy89 said:

With no disrespect, you guys are PLAIN diehard Prince fans. lol lol

Your opinion doesn't matter, you're not experienced in the music buisness, you're not record executives or famous recording artists, you're just fans who are willing to kill anyone who says "this one is the new Prince".

On the other hand, Frankie Valli, the front man of The Four Seasons, someone who's been around in the buisness since the 50's, has an opinion that clearly matters:



Same goes for Elton John, a respected artist who has more experience in "the way things go" than all of us here do, of course: (He even called him a junior Prince)

Here's Jimmy Jam - who's known Prince since high school - opinion about Bruno, an opinion that was based on his 30+ years old experience as a producer & label guy, therefore an opinion that is more relevant & important than our opinions, us, poor devils whose fascination with Prince is only matched with Prince's fascination with Prince: (There's an interview of Jam talking about Bruno in details but I couldn't find it)

Untitled 1

Adele, the biggest global superstar in our lifetime, says this, and yes, Adele is a musical talent who knows much more than you do: (@5:49)

And here's Prince's note to Bruno:


Why would your opinion matter at all? lol lol lol

I think you are in the wrong place, and definitely at the wrong time.

(Insert something clever here)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 04/29/16 1:06pm

SoulAlive

Today's artists are not capable of "carrying the torch" of any of our legendary artists.I'm not putting Bruno down,I'm just being honest.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 04/29/16 1:23pm

Guitarhero

The only torch i know is for using in the dark.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 04/29/16 1:39pm

Grog

My kids love Bruno. I like Bruno, but unless something or someone has been holding him back, he does not possess the gritty, "I don't give a damn" attitude that made Prince Prince. In addition, while I find him interesting, even fascinating at times, I can't imagine him ever ascending to the artistic heights required for "Prince" status. Yes, well-respected musicians have "endorsed" him, but that is what musicians should do when they identify someone with genuine talent. The shold encourage him to continute growing, but that type of encouragement does not mean that he will ever evolve to the genius level.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 04/29/16 1:43pm

rainbowchild

avatar

I just hope Bruno Mars doesn't join the JW. Biggest mistake in Prince's life. confused
"Just like the sun, the Rainbow Children rise."

"Am I black or white? Am I straight or gay?"

"We had fun, didn't we?"
-Prince (1958-2016) 4ever in my life
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 04/29/16 1:46pm

Onthe1jb

i'm confused...what aspect of bruno is like a prince or mj or james brown...

He is very talented but original or an innovator? no

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 04/29/16 1:54pm

MendesCity

avatar

I have to admit, my first thought when I read this was "Who's Bruno?"

He's a talented hitmaker for sure, but there's nowhere near the depth. He's like a reallly adorable karaoke machine.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 04/29/16 2:25pm

Astasheiks

avatar

rainbowchild said:

I just hope Bruno Mars doesn't join the JW. Biggest mistake in Prince's life. confused

Amen! smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 04/29/16 3:05pm

DAV123

avatar

jaypotton said:

No NO NO NO


I know right? neutral
"A Man Can't Ride Your Back Unless It's Bent" MLK 4/3/68
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 04/29/16 3:10pm

Philly76

avatar

Nothing compares 2 Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #84 posted 04/29/16 3:17pm

1p1p1i3

avatar

Well he's short.

Erm that's about it.

Bruno Mars lol.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #85 posted 04/29/16 6:34pm

toshi

DarkKnight1 said:

Shawy89 said:

With no disrespect, you guys are PLAIN diehard Prince fans. lol lol

Your opinion doesn't matter, you're not experienced in the music buisness, you're not record executives or famous recording artists, you're just fans who are willing to kill anyone who says "this one is the new Prince".

On the other hand, Frankie Valli, the front man of The Four Seasons, someone who's been around in the buisness since the 50's, has an opinion that clearly matters:



Same goes for Elton John, a respected artist who has more experience in "the way things go" than all of us here do, of course: (He even called him a junior Prince)

Here's Jimmy Jam - who's known Prince since high school - opinion about Bruno, an opinion that was based on his 30+ years old experience as a producer & label guy, therefore an opinion that is more relevant & important than our opinions, us, poor devils whose fascination with Prince is only matched with Prince's fascination with Prince: (There's an interview of Jam talking about Bruno in details but I couldn't find it)

Untitled 1

Adele, the biggest global superstar in our lifetime, says this, and yes, Adele is a musical talent who knows much more than you do: (@5:49)

And here's Prince's note to Bruno:


Why would your opinion matter at all? lol lol lol

I think you are in the wrong place, and definitely at the wrong time.

With all due respect, you could regurgitate everything that everyone said about Bruno, but he stil ain't Prince to me.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #86 posted 04/30/16 6:26am

Giftofmusic

avatar

WHere did the note come from then? Did P give it to you to deliver to Bruno, but you kept it and that is why Bruno is still crap?

He can dance and sing and couldn't be Michael Jackson or near him so why is he fated by some as the closest thing, or the torch carrier in realtion to Prince.

As far as I am concerned it is farcical....like saying Pluto is close to the sun.

[Edited 4/30/16 6:27am]

'If you don't want to slip up tomorrow, tell the truth today.'

Bruce Lee
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #87 posted 04/30/16 6:58am

Aerogram

avatar

Hey ShawyDismissive...

Go ask Bruno Mars if he thinks he could be the new Prince.

My guess is that it will be one of those 3 answers:

- Are you out of your mind?

- Seriously, are you on drugs?

- Please have that concussion checked pronto!

I like Bruno Mars, he's a great singer and performer, but to carry Prince's torch, you have to be a very prolific composer and arranger, plus a multi-instrumentalist that happens to be a guitar god and great pianist.

It's just very hard to match. Doesn't mean Bruno Mars isn't a great artist in his own terms.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #88 posted 04/30/16 7:07am

bonatoc

avatar

databank said:

Comparing Bruno Marz to Prince to me is like comparing Britney Spears to Kate Bush. Gross.


Xactly.

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #89 posted 04/30/16 7:17am

Elvie

avatar

databank said:

Comparing Bruno Marz to Prince to me is like comparing Britney Spears to Kate Bush. Gross.



:thumbsup: Totally.

I can't see him being the next Prince. No one would ever come close.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > I hope Bruno takes the torch