independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 25th Aug 2019 1:09am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > The Estate Discussion - Part 20 - continued
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #120 posted 05/15/19 8:13am

onlyforaminute

Kares said:



laytonian said:




BartVanHemelen said:


So the estate is now spending time and money on making sure that the color purple is associated with Prince: http://www.thefashionlaw....age-filing


.




A very specific formulation of purple, not all tones and shades of the color.
It's an important issue for future marketing opportunities.



Nunya ever heard of Tiffany owning that specific shade of aqua?
UPS brown? Target red?
https://www.businessinsid...ked-2012-9



.


The point is (as you've clearly missed it), it's an utterly stupid idea. Prince's music, his entire art and persona was about colours: the whole spectrum of colours. Using purple on everything by the Estate is ignorant, boring and it's degrading Prince's art. It is an amateurish and narrowminded way of branding.



Where are you getting that their plan is to use this color on only Prince music stuff? All I see is they trademarked a color that is obviously synonymous with Prince based on the explosion of emotions about the color orange. I've been waiting to see the plan. Lipstick, car paint, what? Seems you took it the extra mile just to have an opinion.
Year of Return 2019
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #121 posted 05/15/19 8:37am

Kares

avatar

onlyforaminute said:

Kares said:

.

The point is (as you've clearly missed it), it's an utterly stupid idea. Prince's music, his entire art and persona was about colours: the whole spectrum of colours. Using purple on everything by the Estate is ignorant, boring and it's degrading Prince's art. It is an amateurish and narrowminded way of branding.

Where are you getting that their plan is to use this color on only Prince music stuff? All I see is they trademarked a color that is obviously synonymous with Prince based on the explosion of emotions about the color orange. I've been waiting to see the plan. Lipstick, car paint, what? Seems you took it the extra mile just to have an opinion.

.

Gosh, I've no idea what you're trying to say. I give up.

Friends don't let friends clap on 1 and 3.

The Paisley Park Vault spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/zzWHrU
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #122 posted 05/15/19 9:06am

onlyforaminute

Kares said:



onlyforaminute said:



Kares said:


.


The point is (as you've clearly missed it), it's an utterly stupid idea. Prince's music, his entire art and persona was about colours: the whole spectrum of colours. Using purple on everything by the Estate is ignorant, boring and it's degrading Prince's art. It is an amateurish and narrowminded way of branding.



Where are you getting that their plan is to use this color on only Prince music stuff? All I see is they trademarked a color that is obviously synonymous with Prince based on the explosion of emotions about the color orange. I've been waiting to see the plan. Lipstick, car paint, what? Seems you took it the extra mile just to have an opinion.

.


Gosh, I've no idea what you're trying to say. I give up.



You understood. How do you know what they are planning to do with this color? Obviously you must know you had an opinion about how dumb it was.
Year of Return 2019
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #123 posted 05/17/19 3:01pm

Astasheiks

avatar

Will Tyka get her cut this year? Opinons??? razz smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #124 posted 05/17/19 8:34pm

muchtoofast

avatar

Astasheiks said:

Will Tyka get her cut this year? Opinons??? razz smile


Carnac the Magnificent says: not likely!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #125 posted 05/17/19 10:03pm

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

muchtoofast said:

Astasheiks said:

Will Tyka get her cut this year? Opinons??? razz smile

Carnac the Magnificent says: not likely!



WTF??? Why just Tyka?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #126 posted 05/18/19 9:50pm

Astasheiks

avatar

ISaidLifeIsJustAGame said:

muchtoofast said:

Astasheiks said: Carnac the Magnificent says: not likely!



WTF??? Why just Tyka?

Okay,,,, Tyka'Nem! biggrin smile razz lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #127 posted 05/19/19 10:35am

jfenster

oh how they have no faith in his music

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #128 posted 05/19/19 11:43am

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Please keep this thread on topic folks. This is about the Estate.


http://www.mncourts.gov/I...elson.aspx

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #129 posted 05/21/19 2:55pm

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar



Omarr and Alfred's attorneys have withdrawn as their counsel.



eek eek

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #130 posted 05/21/19 10:15pm

PennyPurple

avatar

ISaidLifeIsJustAGame said:



Omarr and Alfred's attorneys have withdrawn as their counsel.



eek eek

Oh sheesh. sad

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #131 posted 05/23/19 11:45am

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

The Judge issued an Interim Order on the Contempt Motion against Omarr and Alfred's "advisor" Gregg Walker.

The Judge is not playing with the Heirs and he reiterated his concerns about the Heirs and their advisors:

"The Court is still smarting from the alleged intentional and outrageous violation of the rules of non-disclosure by the Court appointed Heir's representatives who

appear to have, with the knowledge and conspiracy of some of the Heirs,

disseminated confidential information for the purpose of circumventing the role of

the Personal Representative and to enrich themselves."

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #132 posted 05/23/19 12:13pm

littlemissG

avatar

In light of the continuing legal battles and financial drain is there any danger Paisley Park May close? Even temporarily?
No More Haters on the Internet.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #133 posted 05/23/19 12:37pm

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

littlemissG said:

In light of the continuing legal battles and financial drain is there any danger Paisley Park May close? Even temporarily?



Closure of PP has never been mentioned in court documents.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #134 posted 05/23/19 10:53pm

MoodyBlumes

laytonian said:

BartVanHemelen said:

So the estate is now spending time and money on making sure that the color purple is associated with Prince: http://www.thefashionlaw....age-filing

.


A very specific formulation of purple, not all tones and shades of the color.
It's an important issue for future marketing opportunities.

Nunya ever heard of Tiffany owning that specific shade of aqua?
UPS brown? Target red?
https://www.businessinsid...ked-2012-9

Prince wasn't a brand like Tiffanys, UPS or McDonald's. He was an artist who painted with a rich palette of purples, golds, oranges, blues (shimmering most recently on Rave), peach, yellow, browns, black, white. Even his cloud guitars are a fiesta of color. The estate should focus on expanding his legacy, not diminishing it, in color or dollar. Why not release his live performances... he taped all of them.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #135 posted 05/24/19 5:50am

udo

avatar

MoodyBlumes said:

Why not release his live performances... he taped all of them.

.

They'd spend most of the profit$ before release of these tapes on lawyers and other overhead.

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #136 posted 05/24/19 7:03am

MoodyBlumes

udo said:



MoodyBlumes said:


Why not release his live performances... he taped all of them.

.


They'd spend most of the profit$ before release of these tapes on lawyers and other overhead.


Ah, so that's why nothing has been released. There won't be a market for marketing at this rate, so still pointless trademarking a color.
[Edited 5/24/19 16:13pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #137 posted 05/24/19 7:27am

lurker316

avatar

MoodyBlumes said:

laytonian said:


A very specific formulation of purple, not all tones and shades of the color.
It's an important issue for future marketing opportunities.

Nunya ever heard of Tiffany owning that specific shade of aqua?
UPS brown? Target red?
https://www.businessinsid...ked-2012-9

Prince wasn't a brand like Tiffanys, UPS or McDonald's. He was an artist who painted with a rich palette of purples, golds, oranges, blues (shimmering most recently on Rave), peach, yellow, browns, black, white. Even his cloud guitars are a fiesta of color. The estate should focus on expanding his legacy, not diminishing it, in color or dollar. Why not release his live performances... he taped all of them.

.

I have heard of other brands trademarking colors and I think it's just as ridiculous.

.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #138 posted 05/24/19 9:05am

Dalia11

True! Also, releasing the live concert performances is a great idea. I and many Prince fans would buy them all Plus his music videos.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #139 posted 05/24/19 9:19am

MoodyBlumes

lurker316 said:

MoodyBlumes said:

Prince wasn't a brand like Tiffanys, UPS or McDonald's. He was an artist who painted with a rich palette of purples, golds, oranges, blues (shimmering most recently on Rave), peach, yellow, browns, black, white. Even his cloud guitars are a fiesta of color. The estate should focus on expanding his legacy, not diminishing it, in color or dollar. Why not release his live performances... he taped all of them.

.

I have heard of other brands trademarking colors and I think it's just as ridiculous.

.

Iconic Tiffany blue (from 1845) - http://press.tiffany.com/...ounderId=6

Prince's purples -

- https://www.google.com/se...rs_klyYlM:

- https://www.google.com/se...xrDWjOmMM:

- https://www.google.com/se...9tolY-GkM:

- https://www.google.com/se...7KQRqN0hM:

- https://www.google.com/se...rRU60pj5M:

- https://www.google.com/se...rRU60pj5M:

- https://www.google.com/se...GvqWWoW3M:

- https://www.google.com/se...e0CWnJefM:

- https://www.google.com/se...TkoL90y3M:

- https://www.google.com/se...YyvcIXnrM:

- https://www.google.com/se...QSXsEyT-M:

[Edited 5/24/19 9:34am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #140 posted 05/24/19 9:38am

PennyPurple

avatar

I think them trying to get the color is a great idea, after all, the color name is Love Symbol #2. Someone diffently had Prince on their mind when they created this color.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #141 posted 05/24/19 10:47am

MoodyBlumes

PennyPurple said:

I think them trying to get the color is a great idea, after all, the color name is Love Symbol #2. Someone diffently had Prince on their mind when they created this color.

Prince's identity as an artist was such that he didn't restrict himself to one shade of purple.

There are very high legal costs involved in preparing such a 400+ filing:

"The whopping 400-plus page filing is rife with articles, social media posts (including tweets from NASA showing a "purple nebula in honor of Prince"), screenshots such as one of Google's adoption of a purple color scheme shortly after Prince's death, and photos of purple-hued monuments, such as the Eiffel Tower in April 2016".

http://www.thefashionlaw....age-filing

Prince was celebrated all around the world in every different shade, tint and tone of purple.

The upcoming album release 'The Originals' has no purple to be found, though nothing limiting the estate from any hue of purple they wish (all are good).

[Edited 5/24/19 11:20am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #142 posted 05/24/19 12:17pm

PennyPurple

avatar

MoodyBlumes said:

PennyPurple said:

I think them trying to get the color is a great idea, after all, the color name is Love Symbol #2. Someone diffently had Prince on their mind when they created this color.

Prince's identity as an artist was such that he didn't restrict himself to one shade of purple.

There are very high legal costs involved in preparing such a 400+ filing:

"The whopping 400-plus page filing is rife with articles, social media posts (including tweets from NASA showing a "purple nebula in honor of Prince"), screenshots such as one of Google's adoption of a purple color scheme shortly after Prince's death, and photos of purple-hued monuments, such as the Eiffel Tower in April 2016".

http://www.thefashionlaw....age-filing

Prince was celebrated all around the world in every different shade, tint and tone of purple.

The upcoming album release 'The Originals' has no purple to be found, though nothing limiting the estate from any hue of purple they wish (all are good).

[Edited 5/24/19 11:20am]

Prince identified with Purple...they made this color specifically with Prince in mind and also name it Love Symbol #2. I like it. The hue fits. smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #143 posted 05/24/19 1:44pm

onlyforaminute

MoodyBlumes said:



laytonian said:




BartVanHemelen said:


So the estate is now spending time and money on making sure that the color purple is associated with Prince: http://www.thefashionlaw....age-filing


.




A very specific formulation of purple, not all tones and shades of the color.
It's an important issue for future marketing opportunities.



Nunya ever heard of Tiffany owning that specific shade of aqua?
UPS brown? Target red?
https://www.businessinsid...ked-2012-9



Prince wasn't a brand like Tiffanys, UPS or McDonald's. He was an artist who painted with a rich palette of purples, golds, oranges, blues (shimmering most recently on Rave), peach, yellow, browns, black, white. Even his cloud guitars are a fiesta of color. The estate should focus on expanding his legacy, not diminishing it, in color or dollar. Why not release his live performances... he taped all of them.




I've been curious what the plan was. It's been a bit disappointing that a well thought out one wasn't in place before the concept went public. Nothing wrong with a fresh new idea but doing stuff just to be doing it when there are other crucial tedious things on the table that need to be sorted out first waste a lot of money as we see.
Year of Return 2019
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #144 posted 05/24/19 2:30pm

PennyPurple

avatar

Looks like the Estate is still cracking down:

They sent this letter to Chazz


No photo description available.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #145 posted 05/24/19 3:32pm

MoodyBlumes

PennyPurple said:

MoodyBlumes said:

Prince's identity as an artist was such that he didn't restrict himself to one shade of purple.

There are very high legal costs involved in preparing such a 400+ filing:

"The whopping 400-plus page filing is rife with articles, social media posts (including tweets from NASA showing a "purple nebula in honor of Prince"), screenshots such as one of Google's adoption of a purple color scheme shortly after Prince's death, and photos of purple-hued monuments, such as the Eiffel Tower in April 2016".

http://www.thefashionlaw....age-filing

Prince was celebrated all around the world in every different shade, tint and tone of purple.

The upcoming album release 'The Originals' has no purple to be found, though nothing limiting the estate from any hue of purple they wish (all are good).

[Edited 5/24/19 11:20am]

Prince identified with Purple...they made this color specifically with Prince in mind and also name it Love Symbol #2. I like it. The hue fits. smile

The estate can use Love Symbol #2 or any other shade of purple. But paying lawyers' fees to prepare hundreds of pages of trademarking documentation, and battle in court are only the path to bankruptcy, imho.

https://www.billboard.com...mismanaged

[Edited 5/24/19 16:09pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #146 posted 05/24/19 4:27pm

MoodyBlumes

onlyforaminute said:

MoodyBlumes said:

Prince wasn't a brand like Tiffanys, UPS or McDonald's. He was an artist who painted with a rich palette of purples, golds, oranges, blues (shimmering most recently on Rave), peach, yellow, browns, black, white. Even his cloud guitars are a fiesta of color. The estate should focus on expanding his legacy, not diminishing it, in color or dollar. Why not release his live performances... he taped all of them.

I've been curious what the plan was. It's been a bit disappointing that a well thought out one wasn't in place before the concept went public. Nothing wrong with a fresh new idea but doing stuff just to be doing it when there are other crucial tedious things on the table that need to be sorted out first waste a lot of money as we see.

One of his Clouds in a Tiffanyesque blue...

https://www.google.ca/sea...qjxbawkcM:

I'd love to see this beauty being played... c'mon estate show us!

[Edited 5/24/19 16:31pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #147 posted 05/24/19 4:28pm

stillwaiting

ladygirl99 said:

Damn this might end up be another James Brown's estate situation. It would be drag on....................

And also I am wondering would be anything left for the siblings? Tax bill and interest, and fees too. It seems like lawyers and accountant and adminstrators is going to get paid the most per the lawyer in the article....

[Edited 4/21/19 8:39am]

What usually happens in these situations, is that the family usually

1: knows nothing about the music of their family member(Other than Purple Rain, CHECK!)

2: everyone VERY HIGHLY OVERESTIMATES the value of what was left behind (Double CHECK!)

3: Can't agree on who should do what(Londell McMuffin anyone???, TRIPLE CHECK!)

4: Will or no Will, FIGHTING ENSUES with said family(QUAD CHECK)

5: Whatever is released is not really done with care or regard to true fans (HELL YEAH CHECK)

And of course, after all is done, and they release one album a year for a few years, they are left with a vault that will rot away, as the fans age, and they realize there are not a bunch of young auto tuners waiting around to pay for old timer music.

How to fix?

Probably not possible. The powers that be care more for money that does not exist than the music. A bunch of multi disc box sets would solve several problems. It would give a gauge on how much we are willing to spend, and at least to a minor point, keep us from complaining about what is not included. With one cd released at a time, there will always be a billion things not included.

I would release:

The Best of The Vault: 20 Discs $115 or less

Hightlights of The Vault 4 Discs $25 or less

Video collection on both Blu Ray/DVD

And some Live box sets Blu Ray/CD/DVD

Yes, the above can be done without taking 30 years. Just ask Bob Dylan's estate...ok, Bob's not dead, but his live shows...well, I'll leave Bob alone...smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #148 posted 05/24/19 9:36pm

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

MoodyBlumes said:

PennyPurple said:

Prince identified with Purple...they made this color specifically with Prince in mind and also name it Love Symbol #2. I like it. The hue fits. smile

The estate can use Love Symbol #2 or any other shade of purple. But paying lawyers' fees to prepare hundreds of pages of trademarking documentation, and battle in court are only the path to bankruptcy, imho.

https://www.billboard.com...mismanaged

[Edited 5/24/19 16:09pm]



No one has talked about bankruptcy in court documents other than Sharon so there is that....



blunt blunt blunt

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #149 posted 05/24/19 9:37pm

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

PennyPurple said:

Looks like the Estate is still cracking down:

They sent this letter to Chazz


No photo description available.



Chazz needs to be shut down.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > The Estate Discussion - Part 20 - continued