independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 20th Oct 2019 3:17pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > German Blu-ray of the Sign O' The Times movie to include new 90 minute documentary "Prince - The Peach & Black Times"
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 5 of 5 <12345
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #120 posted 05/14/19 12:44am

JorisE73

tab32792 said:

the fact that Prince is a black man, and during that time most of his band is black and no black people are included in the film at all is an issue and the only people that seem to think it isn't are...you guessed it, white fans.


That's bullshit, I've heard from black fans who were disappointed that the only black person who reacted asked for to much money but they were more dissappointed that the black people from his band didn;t even react to the questions of the producer.

You seem butt hurt and need an excuse to blame it on white people, you seem pretty racist.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #121 posted 05/14/19 4:52am

lurker316

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

lust said:

violetcrush said: Thing I’m unclear on though is that it seems that the set is 4 discs, two Blu Ray and two DVDs so what’s on what disc is anyone’s guess. The DVD region is not the same in Europe as it is in Australia but presumably they are region free. Very confusing.

.

Sweet jebus, how about thinking for two seconds before posting? It's obvious that the DVDs will be dupes of the BD contents, except in DVD quality.

.

Obvious? How is that obvious? Usually blu-ray and DVD sets are sold separetely not combined. In fact, I've never heard of a single set coming with both the blu-ray and the DVD version of the same exact content. What would be the point? If that is what's happening here, it's highly unusual, not intutive, and certainly not obvious.

.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #122 posted 05/14/19 5:16am

JorisE73

lurker316 said:

BartVanHemelen said:

.

Sweet jebus, how about thinking for two seconds before posting? It's obvious that the DVDs will be dupes of the BD contents, except in DVD quality.

.

Obvious? How is that obvious? Usually blu-ray and DVD sets are sold separetely not combined. In fact, I've never heard of a single set coming with both the blu-ray and the DVD version of the same exact content. What would be the point? If that is what's happening here, it's highly unusual, not intutive, and certainly not obvious.

.


It's actually pretty common (in Europe at least) that Blu Ray movies come with a DVD version packed as one.

I even have some 3D BluRays (Avatar, Gravity and some more) that were packed including a standard non 3D BluRay, a DVD and a digital copy.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #123 posted 05/14/19 6:07am

lurker316

avatar

JorisE73 said:

lurker316 said:

.

Obvious? How is that obvious? Usually blu-ray and DVD sets are sold separetely not combined. In fact, I've never heard of a single set coming with both the blu-ray and the DVD version of the same exact content. What would be the point? If that is what's happening here, it's highly unusual, not intutive, and certainly not obvious.

.


It's actually pretty common (in Europe at least) that Blu Ray movies come with a DVD version packed as one.

I even have some 3D BluRays (Avatar, Gravity and some more) that were packed including a standard non 3D BluRay, a DVD and a digital copy.

.

Really? What's the point of selling them together? If you have a blu-ray player you'll always watch the higher quality blu-ray disc -- the DVD is superfluous. And if you only have a DVD player, then you won't be able to use the blu-ray disc.

.

In the US DVDs are primiarly sold as a cheaper alternative to blu-ray, not as a pointless duplication.

.

I've literally never in my life met anyone who thought they needed both the blu-ray and DVD of the same exact disc (unless there was some slightly varition in content). In fact, quite the opposite: I know a lot of people who recently upgraded to blu-ray so they are selling off their DVDs or donating them to charity shops because it makes no sense to have both a DVD and a blu-ray of the same exact content.

.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #124 posted 05/14/19 6:35am

JorisE73

lurker316 said:

JorisE73 said:


It's actually pretty common (in Europe at least) that Blu Ray movies come with a DVD version packed as one.

I even have some 3D BluRays (Avatar, Gravity and some more) that were packed including a standard non 3D BluRay, a DVD and a digital copy.

.

Really? What's the point of selling them together? If you have a blu-ray player you'll always watch the higher quality blu-ray disc -- the DVD is superfluous. And if you only have a DVD player, then you won't be able to use the blu-ray disc.

.

In the US DVDs are primiarly sold as a cheaper alternative to blu-ray, not as a pointless duplication.

.

I've literally never in my life met anyone who thought they needed both the blu-ray and DVD of the same exact disc (unless there was some slightly varition in content). In fact, quite the opposite: I know a lot of people who recently upgraded to blu-ray so they are selling off their DVDs or donating them to charity shops because it makes no sense to have both a DVD and a blu-ray of the same exact content.

.


Some people do not a have a BluRay player in the car but only a DVD player (for people sitting in the back) so that could be a reason. Or maybe people who have a media setup in the bedroom or kitchen or wherever based on DVD tech and not BluRay etc. there are numerous reasons you can come up with for these bundles existing.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #125 posted 05/14/19 7:29am

scratchtasia

JorisE73 said:

lurker316 said:

.

Obvious? How is that obvious? Usually blu-ray and DVD sets are sold separetely not combined. In fact, I've never heard of a single set coming with both the blu-ray and the DVD version of the same exact content. What would be the point? If that is what's happening here, it's highly unusual, not intutive, and certainly not obvious.

.


It's actually pretty common (in Europe at least) that Blu Ray movies come with a DVD version packed as one.

I even have some 3D BluRays (Avatar, Gravity and some more) that were packed including a standard non 3D BluRay, a DVD and a digital copy.



It's pretty common in the U.S., too. Not unusual at all. I see multi-format combo packs all the time.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #126 posted 05/14/19 8:03am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

lurker316 said:

Obvious? How is that obvious? Usually blu-ray and DVD sets are sold separetely not combined. In fact, I've never heard of a single set coming with both the blu-ray and the DVD version of the same exact content.

.

Oh come on. Numerous releases like that.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #127 posted 05/14/19 8:44am

eyewishuheaven

avatar

Canada here. I'd bet approximately half of my (quite large) blu-ray collection came with dvds included. I'd sooner pay less for just the standalone blu-ray, but it's not even an option. Anyone who hasn't witnessed this must be buying dvds, not blu-rays.

[Edited 5/14/19 8:45am]

PRINCE: the only man who could wear high heels and makeup and STILL steal your woman!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #128 posted 05/14/19 3:19pm

violetcrush

Wondering how long it will take for the documentary piece to show up on YT smile smile
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #129 posted 05/15/19 12:36pm

stillwaiting

lurker316 said:

JorisE73 said:


It's actually pretty common (in Europe at least) that Blu Ray movies come with a DVD version packed as one.

I even have some 3D BluRays (Avatar, Gravity and some more) that were packed including a standard non 3D BluRay, a DVD and a digital copy.

.

Really? What's the point of selling them together? If you have a blu-ray player you'll always watch the higher quality blu-ray disc -- the DVD is superfluous. And if you only have a DVD player, then you won't be able to use the blu-ray disc.

.

In the US DVDs are primiarly sold as a cheaper alternative to blu-ray, not as a pointless duplication.

.

I've literally never in my life met anyone who thought they needed both the blu-ray and DVD of the same exact disc (unless there was some slightly varition in content). In fact, quite the opposite: I know a lot of people who recently upgraded to blu-ray so they are selling off their DVDs or donating them to charity shops because it makes no sense to have both a DVD and a blu-ray of the same exact content.

.

Not sure where you are at, but although most BR/DVD are standalone in the USA, it is more and more common for them to be packaged together, many with the digital download. We have these tiny little stores called Wal Maht and Tahget(In Boston), where there are tons of common releases that have both. I do think it is pointless, but since Blu Ray is far better, I wish they would just stop making standard dvd, so more releases would be BR, since the discs seem to be better made, and most sound better than dvd. Getting Cherry Moon and Bridge on BR is a miracle, seems like everything else is dvd sad

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #130 posted 05/21/19 7:42am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #131 posted 05/21/19 7:48am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

An article in Dutch by Edgar Kruize on how the SOTT movie was made: http://www.purplepicks.ne...imes-film/ . Edgar has also contributed to the documentary on this German Blu-ray.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #132 posted 05/21/19 11:25pm

JorisE73

BartVanHemelen said:

An article in Dutch by Edgar Kruize on how the SOTT movie was made: http://www.purplepicks.ne...imes-film/ . Edgar has also contributed to the documentary on this German Blu-ray.


thumbs up! Guess I'll have to check out that book.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #133 posted 05/27/19 9:21am

Vannormal

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

An article in Dutch by Edgar Kruize on how the SOTT movie was made: http://www.purplepicks.ne...imes-film/ . Edgar has also contributed to the documentary on this German Blu-ray.

-

Thank you very much.

Thàt by the way, is a wonderful site.

With loads of great read and spot on comments.

Love these guys.

-

For those who can read and understand Dutch: purplepicks.net

great discovery.

smile

-

"...no matter what, all will be fine, always."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 5 of 5 <12345
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > German Blu-ray of the Sign O' The Times movie to include new 90 minute documentary "Prince - The Peach & Black Times"