independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 10th Dec 2019 1:11am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Did Prince have different versions of Let's Work in the Vault?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 02/20/19 8:31am

Astasheiks

avatar

Did Prince have different versions of Let's Work in the Vault?

You know like Let's hug, Let's kiss2, Let's love, Let's pat

biggrin lol

Anybody here different versions?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 02/20/19 8:41am

KoolEaze

avatar

It was called Let´s Rock before it became Let´s Work.

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"




http://kooleasehvac.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 02/20/19 8:50am

soladeo1

Here's the real mystery...supposedly there was a dance craze sweeping the MidWest in the early 80s called THE ROCK and Prince wanted to immediately capitalize on it so e recorded the song LET'S ROCK...what does this song sound like versus the final LET'S WORK...

...but also....

What the heck did the dance THE ROCK look like????!!!!

[Edited 2/20/19 8:51am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 02/20/19 4:07pm

EmmaMcG

avatar

soladeo1 said:

Here's the real mystery...supposedly there was a dance craze sweeping the MidWest in the early 80s called THE ROCK and Prince wanted to immediately capitalize on it so e recorded the song LET'S ROCK...what does this song sound like versus the final LET'S WORK...



...but also....



What the heck did the dance THE ROCK look like????!!!!

[Edited 2/20/19 8:51am]



I don't know what The Rock dance craze looked like but I bet it was a Jabroni beating, pie eating, trailblazing, eyebrow raising, most electrifying dance in all of entertainment.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 02/20/19 4:11pm

rdhull

avatar

It was simply moving your hips side to side holding it for two-three counts every full swing and how hard would it be to change one word from Rock to Work. Geezus.

[Edited 2/21/19 20:42pm]

c'mon baby, where's ya guts?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 02/20/19 6:15pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

soladeo1 said:

Here's the real mystery...supposedly there was a dance craze sweeping the MidWest in the early 80s called THE ROCK and Prince wanted to immediately capitalize on it so e recorded the song LET'S ROCK...what does this song sound like versus the final LET'S WORK...

...but also....

What the heck did the dance THE ROCK look like????!!!!


I mean, MJ had a song called "Rock With You", which was about dancing (not fucking).

We don't know that "Let's Rock" was simply a word change and became "Let's Work". Rock is a dance, whereas Prince uses "work" as a euphemism for sex. I would imagine there are production & lyrical differences. Maybe in the way "200 Balloons" sorta turned into "Batdance", or how he reworked "Cream" into a half-dozen other songs on that EP. (Same with "Gett Off" and "New Power Generation" EPs.)

It would be pretty sweet to hear that outtake on an expanded Controversy set.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 02/21/19 5:38am

databank

avatar

KoolEaze said:

It was called Let´s Rock before it became Let´s Work.

IIRC Prince wished to release it immediately as a non-album single and WB said the N word.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 02/21/19 6:43am

KoolEaze

avatar

databank said:

KoolEaze said:

It was called Let´s Rock before it became Let´s Work.

IIRC Prince wished to release it immediately as a non-album single and WB said the N word.

I think in hindsight it was the right decision to change the name of the song.

Most songs about certain dances from the 80s have aged badly and sound date, lyricwise.

But lyrics dedicated to having sex are much more timeless.

Who remembers the Wiggle, the Bird, the Cabbage Patch, the Wobble and so on today? Just old folks.

Let´s Work is the better title, in my opinion.

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"




http://kooleasehvac.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 02/21/19 8:09pm

SoulAlive

the rock? I wonder if this is the same dance that was popular in the disco era (1979)?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 02/21/19 8:10pm

SoulAlive

rdhull said:

It was simply moving your hips side to side holding it for tow-three counts every full swing



you just answered my question
smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 02/21/19 8:48pm

poppys

rdhull said:

It was simply moving your hips side to side holding it for two-three counts every full swing and how hard would it be to change one word from Rock to Work. Geezus.

falloff

politics: the art or science of government.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 02/22/19 1:59am

yello1

From Princevault (2day updates):

The track was initially recorded (as '''Let's Rock''') between 10-21 July 1979 at [[Mountain Ears Sound Studio]] in Boulder, Colorado, during sessions for [[Album: The Rebels (1979)|The Rebels]] album. '''Let's Rock''' was named after a dance called "The Rock" [[Prince]] had seen in clubs during the summer of 1979 (The dance itself influenced or was influenced by [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Starr Edwin Starr]'s single "It's Called The Rock" from his album "Happy Radio" released that year). [[Prince]] wanted to release it as a single immediately after recording but [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Bros._Records Warner Bros.] declined. It was considered as the opening track for the [[Album: Prince|Prince]] album before being shelved a few years.

Alternate Album Configuration

  1. Let's Rock (4:00)
  2. I Wanna Be Your Lover (3:30)
  3. Bambi (3:30)
  4. Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad? (3:00)
  5. When We're Dancing Close And Slow (4:30)
  6. With You (4:00)
  7. Still Waiting (3:00)
  8. It's Gonna Be Lonely (3:50)
  9. Sexy Dancer (2:50)
  10. Darling Marie (2:00)

https://www.princevault.com/index.php?title=Album:_Prince

http://princevault.com/index.php?title=Let%27s_Work&curid=2714&diff=213620&oldid=210524

[Edited 2/22/19 2:00am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 02/22/19 4:39am

TrevorAyer

EmmaMcG said:

soladeo1 said:

Here's the real mystery...supposedly there was a dance craze sweeping the MidWest in the early 80s called THE ROCK and Prince wanted to immediately capitalize on it so e recorded the song LET'S ROCK...what does this song sound like versus the final LET'S WORK...



...but also....



What the heck did the dance THE ROCK look like????!!!!

[Edited 2/20/19 8:51am]



I don't know what The Rock dance craze looked like but I bet it was a Jabroni beating, pie eating, trailblazing, eyebrow raising, most electrifying dance in all of entertainment.


Ha!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 02/22/19 5:45am

databank

avatar

yello1 said:

From Princevault (2day updates):

The track was initially recorded (as '''Let's Rock''') between 10-21 July 1979 at [[Mountain Ears Sound Studio]] in Boulder, Colorado, during sessions for [[Album: The Rebels (1979)|The Rebels]] album. '''Let's Rock''' was named after a dance called "The Rock" [[Prince]] had seen in clubs during the summer of 1979 (The dance itself influenced or was influenced by [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Starr Edwin Starr]'s single "It's Called The Rock" from his album "Happy Radio" released that year). [[Prince]] wanted to release it as a single immediately after recording but [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Bros._Records Warner Bros.] declined. It was considered as the opening track for the [[Album: Prince|Prince]] album before being shelved a few years.

Alternate Album Configuration

  1. Let's Rock (4:00)
  2. I Wanna Be Your Lover (3:30)
  3. Bambi (3:30)
  4. Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad? (3:00)
  5. When We're Dancing Close And Slow (4:30)
  6. With You (4:00)
  7. Still Waiting (3:00)
  8. It's Gonna Be Lonely (3:50)
  9. Sexy Dancer (2:50)
  10. Darling Marie (2:00)

https://www.princevault.com/index.php?title=Album:_Prince

http://princevault.com/index.php?title=Let%27s_Work&curid=2714&diff=213620&oldid=210524

[Edited 2/22/19 2:00am]

eek eek eek

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 02/22/19 8:24am

Astasheiks

avatar

rdhull said:

It was simply moving your hips side to side holding it for two-three counts every full swing and how hard would it be to change one word from Rock to Work. Geezus.

[Edited 2/21/19 20:42pm]

lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 02/22/19 1:28pm

luvsexy4all

but is it essentially a rework of lets work??

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 02/23/19 11:52am

poppys

Astasheiks said:

rdhull said:

It was simply moving your hips side to side holding it for two-three counts every full swing and how hard would it be to change one word from Rock to Work. Geezus.


lol


It's really Let's Werk with a Minnie accent.

politics: the art or science of government.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 02/23/19 7:32pm

Militant

avatar

moderator

Andre Cymone's wife Katherine mentioned they still have the tape, which makes sense since Andre was part of The Rebels sessions. She said it's basically the same song just with the different word.



  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 02/24/19 10:26am

luvsexy4all

miley cyrus is covering it ......lets twerk

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 02/24/19 3:41pm

TheKid94

avatar

luvsexy4all said:

miley cyrus is covering it .....lets twerk



Smh what?
prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Did Prince have different versions of Let's Work in the Vault?