independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 18th Aug 2019 12:48pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Chaka Khan claims she had discussed a collaborative album with Prince and Miles Davis
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 02/11/19 4:19am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

Chaka Khan claims she had discussed a collaborative album with Prince and Miles Davis

Excerpt from "Brand New Dance" by Gail Mitchell, an article in the 9 February 2019 issue of Billboard magazine, in the section "The Beat - The pulse of music right now":

.

On her first album in 12 years, R&B icon Chaka Khan just wants to “keep it light”

.

Chaka Khan is releasing her first album in 12 years, but don’t call it a comeback. As far as the 10-time Grammy Award-winning legend is concerned, she never left. “I’ve been on the road constantly,” says Khan, speaking from her home in Los Angeles, “doing the songs that everybody loves to hear. Nobody was asking for nothing new.” Khan, 65, sees herself as a perennial — “a seed that blooms when the season’s right.”

.

Apparently, it’s that time. On Feb. 15 she’ll release her 13th studio album, Hello Happiness (Diary Records/Island Records). Its funky lead single, “Like Sugar,” arrived last June and sparked the global #LikeSugarChallenge, a testament to Khan’s staying power after 46 years in the business. Meanwhile, her current single, the new album’s title track, is a testament to her sunnier state of mind. The LP marks Khan’s first since she decided to enter rehab for prescription drug abuse following the death of her “brother,” and former NPG Records boss, Prince.

.

Over her career, Khan has talked about various potential one-off recordings, from a jazz album produced by Robert Glasper to a Joni Mitchell covers album. Today, she adds an extraordinary, never-to-be-realized project to the list: a collaborative album she had discussed with Prince and Miles Davis before “they both left.” (Davis played on her 1988 CK track “Sticky Wicked,” which was produced by Prince and Khan.)

.

The article is also available online: https://www.billboard.com...-interview

.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 02/11/19 5:11am

databank

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

Excerpt from "Brand New Dance" by Gail Mitchell, an article in the 9 February 2019 issue of Billboard magazine, in the section "The Beat - The pulse of music right now":


.



On her first album in 12 years, R&B icon Chaka Khan just wants to “keep it light”


.


Chaka Khan is releasing her first album in 12 years, but don’t call it a comeback. As far as the 10-time Grammy Award-winning legend is concerned, she never left. “I’ve been on the road constantly,” says Khan, speaking from her home in Los Angeles, “doing the songs that everybody loves to hear. Nobody was asking for nothing new.” Khan, 65, sees herself as a perennial — “a seed that blooms when the season’s right.”


.


Apparently, it’s that time. On Feb. 15 she’ll release her 13th studio album, Hello Happiness (Diary Records/Island Records). Its funky lead single, “Like Sugar,” arrived last June and sparked the global #LikeSugarChallenge, a testament to Khan’s staying power after 46 years in the business. Meanwhile, her current single, the new album’s title track, is a testament to her sunnier state of mind. The LP marks Khan’s first since she decided to enter rehab for prescription drug abuse following the death of her “brother,” and former NPG Records boss, Prince.


.


Over her career, Khan has talked about various potential one-off recordings, from a jazz album produced by Robert Glasper to a Joni Mitchell covers album. Today, she adds an extraordinary, never-to-be-realized project to the list: a collaborative album she had discussed with Prince and Miles Davis before “they both left.” (Davis played on her 1988 CK track “Sticky Wicked,” which was produced by Prince and Khan.)



.


The article is also available online: https://www.billboard.com...-interview


.


That would have been something... I hope her new album will be good. I had found the last one quite substandard for Chaka, very generic sounding.
A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 02/11/19 5:35am

pinkcashmere23

Interesting. Thanks!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 02/11/19 6:38am

scififilmnerd

avatar

"Rehab for prescription drug abuse following the death of her “brother,” and former NPG Records boss, Prince." eek

[Edited 2/11/19 6:41am]

rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 02/11/19 11:19pm

databank

avatar

scififilmnerd said:


"Rehab for prescription drug abuse following the death of her “brother,” and former NPG Records boss, Prince." eek

[Edited 2/11/19 6:41am]


Calling him her former "boss" is a little far fetched. I was told she scolded him badly (and in front of his band) about some things that didn't go her way during the European 98 tour (probably around the time you interviewed her and she was upset the next interview), and Prince reportedly took it all and didn't say a word, like a scolded child. Only Chaka could get away with this lol
[Edited 2/11/19 23:20pm]
A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 02/12/19 10:08am

scififilmnerd

avatar

databank said:

scififilmnerd said:

"Rehab for prescription drug abuse following the death of her “brother,” and former NPG Records boss, Prince." eek

[Edited 2/11/19 6:41am]

Calling him her former "boss" is a little far fetched. I was told she scolded him badly (and in front of his band) about some things that didn't go her way during the European 98 tour (probably around the time you interviewed her and she was upset the next interview), and Prince reportedly took it all and didn't say a word, like a scolded child. Only Chaka could get away with this lol [Edited 2/11/19 23:20pm]

H.M. Buff said in his Violet Reality interview that when he denied Chaka Khan the opportunity to play with prince's guitar during the recording of Come 2 My House, prince scolded him afterwards: "You don't say "no" to the Queen". So prince must have really been in awe of her. biggrin

This new interview is also fun, although it doesn't offer any further details: https://www.thesun.co.uk/...nce-death/ biggrin

rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 02/12/19 10:23am

databank

avatar

scififilmnerd said:

databank said:

scififilmnerd said: Calling him her former "boss" is a little far fetched. I was told she scolded him badly (and in front of his band) about some things that didn't go her way during the European 98 tour (probably around the time you interviewed her and she was upset the next interview), and Prince reportedly took it all and didn't say a word, like a scolded child. Only Chaka could get away with this lol [Edited 2/11/19 23:20pm]

H.M. Buff said in his Violet Reality interview that when he denied Chaka Khan the opportunity to play with prince's guitar during the recording of Come 2 My House, prince scolded him afterwards: "You don't say "no" to the Queen". So prince must have really been in awe of her. biggrin

This new interview is also fun, although it doesn't offer any further details: https://www.thesun.co.uk/...nce-death/ biggrin

“I had so much sh*t to battle with in the Eighties and Nineties with my record label. I was a slave to the system until I got free from Warners.”

“Prince and I had plans of having a label together but things didn’t quite work out.

“It was going to be him, myself and Miles Davis, and we were also going to do an album together.

“I have no doubt we will do one in heaven.”

.

It's funny because I've always said if Miles had lived, he'd either have ended the 90's working with Bill Laswell OR adding a 4th album to the Newpower Pak trilogy. However realistically I suspect Miles would never have taken the chance to release a record on NPG Records, Miles was beyond superstardom at this stage of his career, he was major material and probably wanted major money.

.

Now that statement by Chaka is challenging because I'm not sure when her problems with WB started, but Miles died in 91 so that would have meant that at some point before 1991, loooong before the Newpower Pak, she, Prince and Miles discussed the possibility of leaving WB to go indie, and that doesn't really add-up with what we know of the Prince/WB relationship. I wonder under which circumstances they discussed this.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 02/12/19 10:34am

NorthC

Three big egos in one studio? bitchfight
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 02/12/19 1:30pm

scififilmnerd

avatar

I'm sure there were many projects Prince talked about with potential collaborators during his career that never went beyond the discussion point. smile

The most interesting are the ideas that were actually worked on before being abandoned. biggrin

rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 02/12/19 3:04pm

iZsaZsa

avatar

scififilmnerd said:

I'm sure there were many projects Prince talked about with potential collaborators during his career that never went beyond the discussion point. smile

The most interesting are the ideas that were actually worked on before being abandoned. biggrin

biggrin

What?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 02/17/19 12:20am

olb99

avatar

It's old news. From George Cole's "The Last Miles" (2005):

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 02/22/19 7:00am

scififilmnerd

avatar

olb99 said:

It's old news. From George Cole's "The Last Miles" (2005):

Thank you for the info. I used it in my Chaka Khan chapter on my princevswarners-blog and mentioned you in the Thank You-list of the Acknowledgments section for bringing it to my attention. biggrin

rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 02/22/19 7:16am

onlyforaminute

Oh wow that would've been awesome.
Year of Return 2019
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 02/22/19 8:32am

olb99

avatar

scififilmnerd said:

olb99 said:

It's old news. From George Cole's "The Last Miles" (2005):

Thank you for the info. I used it in my Chaka Khan chapter on my princevswarners-blog and mentioned you in the Thank You-list of the Acknowledgments section for bringing it to my attention. biggrin

Cool. The whole book is worth reading, IMO. There's a small chapter about Prince. Nothing earth-shattering, but it was pretty good (and accurate) for 2005.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 02/22/19 4:17pm

TrcikyChristop
her

databank said:

scififilmnerd said:

"Rehab for prescription drug abuse following the death of her “brother,” and former NPG Records boss, Prince." eek

[Edited 2/11/19 6:41am]

Calling him her former "boss" is a little far fetched. I was told she scolded him badly (and in front of his band) about some things that didn't go her way during the European 98 tour (probably around the time you interviewed her and she was upset the next interview), and Prince reportedly took it all and didn't say a word, like a scolded child. Only Chaka could get away with this lol [Edited 2/11/19 23:20pm]

She also cursed him out at a club in front of Larry, his wife and Mayte during a stop at the Newpower Soul Festival tour and left the tour on the spot...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 02/22/19 5:06pm

PennyPurple

avatar

TrcikyChristopher said:

She also cursed him out at a club in front of Larry, his wife and Mayte during a stop at the Newpower Soul Festival tour and left the tour on the spot...

Why did she cuss him out? smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 02/22/19 5:38pm

TrcikyChristop
her

PennyPurple said:

TrcikyChristopher said:

She also cursed him out at a club in front of Larry, his wife and Mayte during a stop at the Newpower Soul Festival tour and left the tour on the spot...

Why did she cuss him out? smile

Well, first off, she was drunk off her ass...

Secondly, from what I heard from someone there, it had something to do with Larry and his influence on Prince. She knew at the time that Mayte wasn't into the JW thing and Chaka respected Larry's views but did not respect the way she felt P was being "brainwashed".

If you really pay attention to Chaka's attitude on their interview on Vibe (June 98) and then BET Tonight (October 98), she was fed up by October. Prince tried to make amends by trying to get Come 2 My House distributed on Arista/BMG (without the NPG label) during his initial talks with Clive, but by that time, she was done.

[Edited 2/22/19 17:58pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 02/22/19 6:48pm

PennyPurple

avatar

TrcikyChristopher said:

PennyPurple said:

Why did she cuss him out? smile

Well, first off, she was drunk off her ass...

Secondly, from what I heard from someone there, it had something to do with Larry and his influence on Prince. She knew at the time that Mayte wasn't into the JW thing and Chaka respected Larry's views but did not respect the way she felt P was being "brainwashed".

If you really pay attention to Chaka's attitude on their interview on Vibe (June 98) and then BET Tonight (October 98), she was fed up by October. Prince tried to make amends by trying to get Come 2 My House distributed on Arista/BMG (without the NPG label) during his initial talks with Clive, but by that time, she was done.

[Edited 2/22/19 17:58pm]

Ah, thanks. I don't think a lot of people were happy with the Larry thing.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 02/23/19 9:53am

onlyforaminute

Chaka got her issues but she's no fool.
Year of Return 2019
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 02/26/19 8:57am

databank

avatar

TrcikyChristopher said:

PennyPurple said:

Why did she cuss him out? smile

Well, first off, she was drunk off her ass...

Secondly, from what I heard from someone there, it had something to do with Larry and his influence on Prince. She knew at the time that Mayte wasn't into the JW thing and Chaka respected Larry's views but did not respect the way she felt P was being "brainwashed".

If you really pay attention to Chaka's attitude on their interview on Vibe (June 98) and then BET Tonight (October 98), she was fed up by October. Prince tried to make amends by trying to get Come 2 My House distributed on Arista/BMG (without the NPG label) during his initial talks with Clive, but by that time, she was done.

[Edited 2/22/19 17:58pm]

What I was told about the incident I mentioned apparently had more to do with the tour itself, she wasn't happy with the touring conditions, IDK what exactly. But both stories do not necessarily exclude each other, it's very possible she was fed-up with a lot of different things and you know how things pile up when you start getting upset.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 02/26/19 8:59am

poppys

Thanks for the thread. What a great collaboration to try, even just a few songs would be nice. Such a specific place and time back then for those 3 to do something experimental. They were all already famous, so it was artist not industry driven.


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 02/27/19 6:02am

Vannormal

avatar

-

I love chaka's new album

but a bit short, 7 tracks, 27 minutes or so

-

producer Switch did a great job !

I love that producer

he did great with M.I.A.

check it out

even his own music is worth to have a listen

-

"...no matter what, all will be fine, always."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Chaka Khan claims she had discussed a collaborative album with Prince and Miles Davis