independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Albums, books and dvds found at Paisley
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 04/28/18 10:12pm

CandaceS

avatar

jayceman said:

Maybe not seen in the photos, but we KNOW he owned a DVD of Finding Nemo, ...I probably saw it twenty times in the NPG Room, while waiting for him to play.


IKR ?! lol I was watching for that one, didn't see it in any of the photos though.

"I would say that Prince's top thirty percent is great. Of that thirty percent, I'll bet the public has heard twenty percent of it." - Susan Rogers, "Hunting for Prince's Vault", BBC, 2015
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 04/28/18 10:16pm

CandaceS

avatar

I spotted this VHS copy of the old movie "Rebecca", on a shelf in the video vault (pic turned sideways for readability): cool







"I would say that Prince's top thirty percent is great. Of that thirty percent, I'll bet the public has heard twenty percent of it." - Susan Rogers, "Hunting for Prince's Vault", BBC, 2015
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 04/28/18 11:10pm

CandaceS

avatar

Book in a drawer in the bathroom that has the tub in the middle of the room... "Tutankhamun: The Exodus Conspiracy" by Andrew Collins and Chris Ogilvie-Herald. (Found in 4/21 photos by badge 459)

"I would say that Prince's top thirty percent is great. Of that thirty percent, I'll bet the public has heard twenty percent of it." - Susan Rogers, "Hunting for Prince's Vault", BBC, 2015
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 04/28/18 11:28pm

CandaceS

avatar

"Prince in Hawaii" by Afshin Shahidi...on corner table in gold office (pic # 111 in 10 May folder).

"I would say that Prince's top thirty percent is great. Of that thirty percent, I'll bet the public has heard twenty percent of it." - Susan Rogers, "Hunting for Prince's Vault", BBC, 2015
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 04/29/18 1:46am

FullLipsDotNos
e

avatar

fen said:

FullLipsDotNose said:

The books on black feminism though jerkoff

-

(On a side note, there should be a female masturbation emoji!! How come this website has none if it's dedicated to the author of Darling Nikki?!)

Why jerkoff? They strike me as being among the better items. I wonder what he would have made of someone like Shulamith Firestone?

Of course, I absolutely cherish them. I only date people who subscribe to the ideas of intersectional feminism - and who obviously mean it. I can see there are men in Western countries who say they are feminists just to get laid.

full lips, freckles, and upturned nose
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 04/29/18 2:39am

Marrk

avatar

callimnate said:

PeteSilas said:

i heard one of the most obvious things was a vhs of elvis' 68 special, i always claimed that he was a huge elvis fan although most people couldn't see it.


P was a musician and a performer. Of course he would've appreciated Elvis.

I dont like Elvis that much but even I have greatest Hits CD's and Live performances, for musical educational purposes. wink
.

Same here. AND a Christmas album. I don't consider myself an Elvis fan either, but he sneaked in there. lol

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 04/29/18 3:10am

FullLipsDotNos
e

avatar

Marrk said:

callimnate said:


P was a musician and a performer. Of course he would've appreciated Elvis.

I dont like Elvis that much but even I have greatest Hits CD's and Live performances, for musical educational purposes. wink
.

Same here. AND a Christmas album. I don't consider myself an Elvis fan either, but he sneaked in there. lol

I used to be his fan.

full lips, freckles, and upturned nose
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 04/29/18 7:46am

fen

avatar

FullLipsDotNose said:

fen said:

Why jerkoff? They strike me as being among the better items. I wonder what he would have made of someone like Shulamith Firestone?

Of course, I absolutely cherish them. I only date people who subscribe to the ideas of intersectional feminism - and who obviously mean it. I can see there are men in Western countries who say they are feminists just to get laid.

Oh, I see… I wouldn’t know anything about that of course, and I would’ve have thought that Prince’s “getting laid game” was pretty strong without it. wink In all seriousness, despite some missteps, I always felt that his interest in women was pretty genuine. That said, it wouldn’t be easy to reconcile this with some of the more conservative religious messages that he was receiving (and in some cases, championing). In any case, if getting laid is your agenda then there are easier ways of doing it – genuinely active, radical feminism is fairly rare even among women (in my limited experience, that is).

[Edited 4/29/18 8:38am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 04/29/18 2:42pm

XxAxX

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

XxAxX said:


falloff The Twilight Zone lol lol lol

Is that the TV show or the movie version from 1983?



hug scroll up dearie. scroll up

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 04/29/18 2:51pm

XxAxX

avatar

savagedreams said:

alandail said:

Not Twiligiht, The Twilight Zone, something completely different and vastly superior.

.

i mentioned to someone at work recently i had got the complete twilight zone on blu ray, they thought i was talking about twilight as well. how can so much information and media be available to everyone and yet so many still only know whatever the current mainstream crap is.

The Twilight Zone is a classic! such a shame folks don't know about this series, even if it is older.

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fewedit.files.wordpress.com%2F2017%2F12%2Ftwilight-zone.jpg%3Fw%3D2000&w=700&q=85

[Edited 4/29/18 15:04pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 04/29/18 4:10pm

poppys

SanDiegoFunkDaddy said:

He bought the remastered Talking Book by Stevie Wonder at Electric Fetus days before he died

+ these 5

1) Stevie Wonder,
"Talking Book"

2) Chambers Brothers, "The Time Has Come"

3) Joni Mitchell, "Hejira"

4) Swan Silvertones, "Inspirational Gospel Classics"

5) Missing Persons, "The Best Of Missing Persons"

6) Santana, "Santana IV"

"if you can't clap on the one, then don't clap at all"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 04/29/18 4:16pm

poppys

XxAxX said:

savagedreams said:

.

i mentioned to someone at work recently i had got the complete twilight zone on blu ray, they thought i was talking about twilight as well. how can so much information and media be available to everyone and yet so many still only know whatever the current mainstream crap is.

The Twilight Zone is a classic! such a shame folks don't know about this series, even if it is older.

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fewedit.files.wordpress.com%2F2017%2F12%2Ftwilight-zone.jpg%3Fw%3D2000&w=700&q=85

fallinluv Favorite show as a kid. It's still on Me TV every night.

"if you can't clap on the one, then don't clap at all"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 04/29/18 5:02pm

Asenath

KoolEaze said:

kmama07 said:

sfinky1 said: Agreed. I noticed that as well.

Cinnamon Girl is a song that deals with the political and social aftermath of 9/11, and Call My Name also has some lyrics that mention spying on the citizens after 9/11. Like Istenzek said, Prince also mentioned OBL during a concert, too. The Xenophobia video is also about...well, xenophobia and fear after 9/11 and what middle eastern looking people have to deal with after 9/11 and so on.

He´s also talked about 9/11 and the Middle East in many other songs and interviews.

The song Pearls Before the Swine and the line about baklava and a bagel with cream cheese is about Arabs and Jews.

I love Prince fam who drop the knowledge. (extra love when they do it without being condescending and arrogant). Thank u

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 04/29/18 5:04pm

ufoclub

avatar

Stuff I spied with my own eyes back in 2002 at the "Xenophobia" celebration were VHS movies...

and I remember quite vividly these two:

"Jason and the Argonauts" (the 1963 movie that probably what lead to the imageryin the Glam Slam Ulysses show)

"Bill Cosby Himself" (the popular film of a live comedy concert)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 04/29/18 5:07pm

Asenath

fen said:

A strangely eclectic selection of films and books - L'avventura (a masterpiece) sitting alongside Dumb and Dumber? biggrin

Don't you love it though?!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 04/29/18 5:12pm

Asenath

pricetag said:

Nicely eclectic movie tastes. But his book choices look depressingly iffy. They're wacky, underground bunker, conspiracy, maniacal drawing books. Stuff that would definitely NOT get a man laid.

Sorry, you're wrong. You would be surprised how many sexual people are into "wacky, conspiracy, underground bunker" stuff. Not to mention, that Prince could sit and count to 20 and recite the alphabet and somebody would want to sex him; afro, socks with flip-flops, eyeliner and all

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 04/29/18 5:22pm

purplerabbitho
le

Oh, yeah. I now know what I would have talked to Prince about if I ever got to meet him--movies. I am a massive movie geek and have seen most of the movies in that list. And believe it or not, but one of the movies in my top ten is Doctor Strangelove. I literally let out an audible "yes" when I saw that one in his. I would have recommend him to see a Hard Day's NIght rather than Help (much better movie) and to see the original Manchurian Candidate ASAP.

His books are hit and miss..some a bit conservative politically, some religious but not too crazy, some kooky but harmless, some a bit more paranoid than I would like, some progressive (black feminism and Jon Stewart) some funny (inponderables and the Jon Stewart sound amusing), some historical and about the industry and some profoundly moving (Rilke..) He was curious man but I think he could have used some direction. . I would have recommended some novels and poetry books if I could have especially if he was interested in black feminist writers (Toni Morrison for example).

Asenath said:

fen said:

A strangely eclectic selection of films and books - L'avventura (a masterpiece) sitting alongside Dumb and Dumber? biggrin

Don't you love it though?!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 04/29/18 5:26pm

Asenath

sfinky1 said:

I find it curious that he was reading/read a book about Osama bin Laden, he never professed to have much interest in politics, didn't vote, never commented on 9/11... Just seems a curious choice and like it really sticks out among all the other titles

I don't know, I think he kind of did, through the music:

  • Ronnie talk to Russia before its too late Before it's too late Before it's too late Ronnie talk to Russia before it’s too late Before they blow up the world
  • How you gonna make me kill somebody I don’t even know... You're gonna have to fight your own damn war 'Cause we don't wanna fight no more
  • Does anybody hear us pray For Michael Brown or Freddie Gray? Peace is more than the absence of war
  • A sister killed her baby 'cause she couldn't afford to feed it and yet we're sending people to the moon
  • I was born and raised on the same plantation In the united states of the red, white and blue I never knew that I was different Till Dr. King was on the balcony lying in a bloody pool
  • It's time for new education the former rules don't apply we need a power structure that breeds productionInstead of jacks who vandalize
  • Upload: a 2-party system The lesser of 2 dangers Illusion of choice Download: a veiled form of fascism Nothing really ever changes U never had a voice
  • Everybody’s got a bomb. We could all die any day.
  • Tax dollars build a plane drop a bomb
    Supposedly to keep us all safe from Saddam
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 04/29/18 5:35pm

Asenath

purplerabbithole said:

Oh, yeah. I now know what I would have talked to Prince about if I ever got to meet him--movies. I am a massive movie geek and have seen most of the movies in that list. And believe it or not, but one of the movies in my top ten is Doctor Strangelove. I literally let out an audible "yes" when I saw that one in his. I would have recommend him to see a Hard Day's NIght rather than Help (much better movie) and to see the original Manchurian Candidate ASAP.

His books are hit and miss..some a bit conservative politically, some religious but not too crazy, some kooky but harmless, some a bit more paranoid than I would like, some progressive (black feminism and Jon Stewart) some funny (inponderables and the Jon Stewart sound amusing), some historical and about the industry and some profoundly moving (Rilke..) He was curious man but I think he could have used some direction. . I would have recommended some novels and poetry books if I could have especially if he was interested in black feminist writers (Toni Morrison for example).

Asenath said:

Don't you love it though?!!

really, why do you say that? other than suggesting poetry, what type of direction? To NOT read certain material?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 04/29/18 5:44pm

Asenath

TheGloved1 said:

This is kinda direspectful to be going through his stuff though..I'm not getting on anybody but If I died I wouldn't want people picking through my things.

I never thought of it that way. I guess I was being selfish because I was glad to see the list. I have wondered about Prince, the person, and it really seemed like in interviews people around him really could/didn't reveal much about him. It's like they really didn't KNOW him. So seeing what he read, listened to and watched gives a glimpse into him as a person. And honestly after his medical stuff was released and all that went with it, this stuff is tame in comparison.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 04/29/18 5:57pm

purplerabbitho
le

I don't mean he should not read anything. I mean he should not only read certain material. I would offer him books to expand on topics he is reading but with various interpretations and from different mediums..(civil rights and feminist books aren't just non-fiction.) . Or like his Lincoln book--not all Lincoln scholars believe like Bennett (and they aren't writing hagiographies either). Also, to read stuff that contradicts or offers differing interpretations from those in the more fear-mongering of the conspiracy books. Balance and differing takes on a topic so that critical thinking can truely be accomplished.

Asenath said:

purplerabbithole said:

Oh, yeah. I now know what I would have talked to Prince about if I ever got to meet him--movies. I am a massive movie geek and have seen most of the movies in that list. And believe it or not, but one of the movies in my top ten is Doctor Strangelove. I literally let out an audible "yes" when I saw that one in his. I would have recommend him to see a Hard Day's NIght rather than Help (much better movie) and to see the original Manchurian Candidate ASAP.

His books are hit and miss..some a bit conservative politically, some religious but not too crazy, some kooky but harmless, some a bit more paranoid than I would like, some progressive (black feminism and Jon Stewart) some funny (inponderables and the Jon Stewart sound amusing), some historical and about the industry and some profoundly moving (Rilke..) He was curious man but I think he could have used some direction. . I would have recommended some novels and poetry books if I could have especially if he was interested in black feminist writers (Toni Morrison for example).

really, why do you say that? other than suggesting poetry, what type of direction? To NOT read certain material?

[Edited 4/29/18 17:59pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 04/29/18 6:08pm

Asenath

Ok, I was getting ready to be all snobby and judgmental about Rain by VC Andrews; but after further research, the story does sound kind of interesting.... but still VC Andrews? Could it possibly be something of Mayte's that he forgot to burn? (sorry, i couldn't stop myself)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 04/29/18 6:10pm

Asenath

purplerabbithole said:

I don't mean he should not read anything. I mean he should not only read certain material. I would offer him books to expand on topics he is reading but with various interpretations and from different mediums..(civil rights and feminist books aren't just non-fiction.) . Or like his Lincoln book--not all Lincoln scholars believe like Bennett (and they aren't writing hagiographies either). Also, to read stuff that contradicts or offers differing interpretations from those in the more fear-mongering of the conspiracy books. Balance and differing takes on a topic so that critical thinking can truely be accomplished.

Asenath said:

really, why do you say that? other than suggesting poetry, what type of direction? To NOT read certain material?

[Edited 4/29/18 17:59pm]

got it, cool!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 04/29/18 6:41pm

Asenath

poppys said:

SanDiegoFunkDaddy said:

He bought the remastered Talking Book by Stevie Wonder at Electric Fetus days before he died

+ these 5

1) Stevie Wonder,
"Talking Book"

2) Chambers Brothers, "The Time Has Come"

3) Joni Mitchell, "Hejira"

4) Swan Silvertones, "Inspirational Gospel Classics"

5) Missing Persons, "The Best Of Missing Persons"

6) Santana, "Santana IV"

I wasn't familar with Swan Silvertones and did some research... only on the first song, but this is absolutely true from the all music website:

The Swan Silvertones are a premier gospel group and one of the great music experiences awaiting anyone who has never heard them. If you are not a fan of gospel music or "religious" music of any kind, don't let that fact deter you from having this unique listening experience. This is pure music at the highest level.

Listen to the guitar: If you believe your God is dead, try mine. If it weren't for the lyrics, would not believe I was listening to "gospel".

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #84 posted 04/29/18 7:27pm

poppys

Asenath said:

poppys said:

+ these 5

1) Stevie Wonder,
"Talking Book"

2) Chambers Brothers, "The Time Has Come"

3) Joni Mitchell, "Hejira"

4) Swan Silvertones, "Inspirational Gospel Classics"

5) Missing Persons, "The Best Of Missing Persons"

6) Santana, "Santana IV"

I wasn't familar with Swan Silvertones and did some research... only on the first song, but this is absolutely true from the all music website:

The Swan Silvertones are a premier gospel group and one of the great music experiences awaiting anyone who has never heard them. If you are not a fan of gospel music or "religious" music of any kind, don't let that fact deter you from having this unique listening experience. This is pure music at the highest level.

Listen to the guitar: If you believe your God is dead, try mine. If it weren't for the lyrics, would not believe I was listening to "gospel".


Yeah, was suprised I had 5 out of those 6 albums at one time or another. Just got rid of almost all my vinyl when I moved again. Still couldn't part with my gospel, especially The Swan Silvertones. The Electrifying Crown Seekers were at Jazz fest today, they are amazing. Also The Zion Harmonizers, never miss a chance to see them.

"if you can't clap on the one, then don't clap at all"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #85 posted 04/30/18 2:14am

leerix

Thanks for the Rebecca update, I'll add it next time I'll update the list, smile

About the Twilight Zone, I'm guessing it's the series -not the 1983 movie based on the series- because the dvd has an "8" on it. But the entire collection can't be seen anywhere - the Soul Train collection has its box, though.

Remember also he referenced the series in 2015, "...if he doesn’t like a question, he strikes up with the theme from The Twilight Zone and shakes his head."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/nov/12/prince-interview-paisley-park-studios-minneapolis

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #86 posted 05/01/18 10:41am

Marco81

Another Welcome 2 america CD can be seen in the garage, next to a copy of ONA live aftershow. This w2A copy is dated 10/8/2010
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #87 posted 05/01/18 1:15pm

kindofblue

This is surprising: I just spotted the old "Crucial" boot in a Picture (DSC_106.JPG in folder 5-10-2016).

What is even more surprising is that it isn't the original bootleg release, but a cd-r with a handwritten tracklist, and i think it is in Prince's own handwriting. But the picture is a little blurry so I'm not 100 % sure about that. So Prince had a bootleg of a Prince bootleg?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #88 posted 05/01/18 9:15pm

CandaceS

avatar

leerix said:

Thanks for the Rebecca update, I'll add it next time I'll update the list, smile


Don't miss the two posts I made after "Rebecca"...I found some other books for you to add. smile

"I would say that Prince's top thirty percent is great. Of that thirty percent, I'll bet the public has heard twenty percent of it." - Susan Rogers, "Hunting for Prince's Vault", BBC, 2015
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #89 posted 05/01/18 9:36pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

leerix said:

Thanks for the Rebecca update, I'll add it next time I'll update the list, smile

About the Twilight Zone, I'm guessing it's the series -not the 1983 movie based on the series- because the dvd has an "8" on it. But the entire collection can't be seen anywhere - the Soul Train collection has its box, though.

Remember also he referenced the series in 2015, "...if he doesn’t like a question, he strikes up with the theme from The Twilight Zone and shakes his head."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/nov/12/prince-interview-paisley-park-studios-minneapolis

Related image

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Albums, books and dvds found at Paisley