independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 19th Jul 2019 10:06am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Faithfully by Journey & Purple Rain similarities
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 04/15/18 7:33am

SSILB

Faithfully by Journey & Purple Rain similarities

I swear there are similarities in these songs. I've loved them both as long as I can remember.

However today, listening, the beginning of Faithfully (piano melody) is similar to the verses in Purple Rain, Purple Rain just hitting the major chord moreso.

Then the power chord in Faithfully with the guitar after the last verse where Steven holds the long note

Then listen to Purple Rain, right before P goes into the HOOOO HOOOO HOO HOO, it is so so similar.

Interchangeably you can hear how certain nuances of both songs have the same feeling and intensity and sound, Piano, guitar riff, and all. Steven in his vocal riff says: OHHH OHHH OH OH, but PRINCE does: HOOOOO HOOOO HOO HOO

I'm not saying this to TAKE ANYTHING AWAY from either song, but the emotion, the chord structure FAITHFULLY more melodic PRINCE staccato and even the guitar riff to a minimal SLIGHT degree have similarities.

I'm just saying.

PS: Prince just got off on it a little bit more than Journey, he kilt it, his bottom was meatier, and then the strings, just brought it home. Ahhhh man

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 04/15/18 7:39am

Silvertongue7

Didn’t Prince ring the guy from Journey to ask for permission to release Purple a Rain for that exact reason?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 04/15/18 7:46am

kingricefan

Yes. If I remember correctly Prince either sent them a copy of the song (which he had originally given to Stevie Nicks for her to record but she gave it back stating that it 'scared' her) or played them his version over the phone and then asked them if he could release it without them giving him trouble because he had realized that the songs were similar in sound and structure.

Silvertongue7 said:

Didn’t Prince ring the guy from Journey to ask for permission to release Purple a Rain for that exact reason?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 04/15/18 8:14am

Lovejunky

avatar

Silvertongue7 said:

Didn’t Prince ring the guy from Journey to ask for permission to release Purple a Rain for that exact reason?

https://www.billboard.com...interviews

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 04/15/18 9:09am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Use the search box. This has been discussed in the last year.

Prince called Jonathan Cain and asked him if he thought "Purple Rain" was too similar to "Faithfully", playing it for him over the phone. Cain said it was fine and that there were no worries.

In reality, the main bits of the verses are identical chord structures and are only a half-step off. Journey's A is Prince's Bb (B flat), Journey's D is Prince's Eb (E flat), etc. The melody is different enough to keep them relatively unique to themselves.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 04/15/18 10:05am

rogifan

TrivialPursuit said:

Use the search box. This has been discussed in the last year.

Prince called Jonathan Cain and asked him if he thought "Purple Rain" was too similar to "Faithfully", playing it for him over the phone. Cain said it was fine and that there were no worries.

In reality, the main bits of the verses are identical chord structures and are only a half-step off. Journey's A is Prince's Bb (B flat), Journey's D is Prince's Eb (E flat), etc. The melody is different enough to keep them relatively unique to themselves.


This is why I prefer the guitar opening to piano opening. Doesn’t sound as close to Journey’s song. Here’s Jonathan Cain & guitarist Neal Schon recalling the conversation with Prince.

https://www.billboard.com...interviews
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 04/15/18 11:27am

cloveringold85

avatar

Yea, we've talked about this here on the Org. There is a YT video with the two songs combined, LOL lol

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 04/15/18 5:12pm

kmama07

kingricefan said:

Yes. If I remember correctly Prince either sent them a copy of the song (which he had originally given to Stevie Nicks for her to record but she gave it back stating that it 'scared' her) or played them his version over the phone and then asked them if he could release it without them giving him trouble because he had realized that the songs were similar in sound and structure.



Silvertongue7 said:


Didn’t Prince ring the guy from Journey to ask for permission to release Purple a Rain for that exact reason?


I am glad Purple Rain wasn't recorded by Stevie Nicks. Ever.
Don't mind her Fleetwood Mac days and appreciate she is talented, however, I'm happy the song is not associated with her in the way Nothing Compares to You is now associated with Sinéad O'Connor.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 04/15/18 6:55pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

cloveringold85 said:

Yea, we've talked about this here on the Org. There is a YT video with the two songs combined, LOL lol


Oh shit.


This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 04/15/18 8:58pm

rdhull

avatar

neutral

c'mon baby, where's ya guts?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 04/17/18 11:34am

cloveringold85

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

cloveringold85 said:

Yea, we've talked about this here on the Org. There is a YT video with the two songs combined, LOL lol


Oh shit.


.

lol

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 04/17/18 11:35am

cloveringold85

avatar

kmama07 said:

kingricefan said:

Yes. If I remember correctly Prince either sent them a copy of the song (which he had originally given to Stevie Nicks for her to record but she gave it back stating that it 'scared' her) or played them his version over the phone and then asked them if he could release it without them giving him trouble because he had realized that the songs were similar in sound and structure.

I am glad Purple Rain wasn't recorded by Stevie Nicks. Ever. Don't mind her Fleetwood Mac days and appreciate she is talented, however, I'm happy the song is not associated with her in the way Nothing Compares to You is now associated with Sinéad O'Connor.

.

I'm glad Stevie never recorded PR; that would have been a travesty!! lol

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 04/17/18 1:54pm

SoulAlive

TrivialPursuit said:

cloveringold85 said:

Yea, we've talked about this here on the Org. There is a YT video with the two songs combined, LOL lol


Oh shit.


hmmm

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 04/17/18 3:57pm

kingricefan

I agree. I just cannot fathom hearing Stevie Nicks chipmunk voice do a rendition of PR.

kmama07 said:

kingricefan said:

Yes. If I remember correctly Prince either sent them a copy of the song (which he had originally given to Stevie Nicks for her to record but she gave it back stating that it 'scared' her) or played them his version over the phone and then asked them if he could release it without them giving him trouble because he had realized that the songs were similar in sound and structure.

I am glad Purple Rain wasn't recorded by Stevie Nicks. Ever. Don't mind her Fleetwood Mac days and appreciate she is talented, however, I'm happy the song is not associated with her in the way Nothing Compares to You is now associated with Sinéad O'Connor.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 04/17/18 8:44pm

Funklov

It sounded the most like Faithfully during his last few performances on the Piano and Mic tour for some reason. To me at least
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Faithfully by Journey & Purple Rain similarities