independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 14th Nov 2019 12:14pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Wishlist: Schedule of The Vault releases 2017-2019
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/23/17 3:29pm

soladeo1

Wishlist: Schedule of The Vault releases 2017-2019

Here it is.

Estate/Warner Bros. take notes..

June '17 - Purple Rain Deluxe
Dec '17 - Piano & Microphone: Live in Melbourne
May '18 - 1999 Deluxe
Sept '18 - The Dream Factory (Original Tracklist Configuration)
Dec '18 - Dirty Mind Deluxe
May '19 - Madrid 2 Chicago
Dec '19 - Controversy Deluxe (Inc. The Second Coming)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/23/17 6:17pm

DarylB

Sign O The Times Deluxe Edition album and movie.It would be great if the people at Criterion Collection would release the movie,domestically!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/23/17 8:18pm

poplife4

Dec 17 - Camille
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/24/17 3:42am

MiceElfAgin

My wishlist would look something like this:

June '17: Purple Rain Deluxe

July '17: everything else

Aug '17: additional recordings discovered since July '17

Sep '17: additional recordings discovered snce Aug '17

etc.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/24/17 5:44am

OperatingTheta
n

avatar

Anything I haven't heard.

A streaming/download service for hardcore fans needs to be established to monetise the post-80s vault. Otherwise, they're going to miss the boat with an ocean of material that the faithful currently have demand for.

I'm concerned we'll never hear much of his later work (Black is the New Black, Phase 3, etc) otherwise.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/24/17 8:13am

databank

avatar

soladeo1 said:

Here it is. Estate/Warner Bros. take notes.. June '17 - Purple Rain Deluxe Dec '17 - Piano & Microphone: Live in Melbourne May '18 - 1999 Deluxe Sept '18 - The Dream Factory (Original Tracklist Configuration) Dec '18 - Dirty Mind Deluxe May '19 - Madrid 2 Chicago Dec '19 - Controversy Deluxe (Inc. The Second Coming)

I'm glad to see there seems to be other people than me interested in hearing Madrid 2 Chicago.

Hopefully, if the title pops-up regularly in wishlists threads, it will get whomever ends-up being in charge's attention in due time.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home

I apologize for every time I offended someone when debates got "heated". Love y'all yes
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/24/17 8:33am

databank

avatar

poplife4 said:

Dec 17 - Camille

With only one unreleased track on it, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

.

The question of what to do with all those early configurations of albums (including Dream Factory's several configurations) is going to be an interesting one. Obviously, we the hardcore want them, but realistically many other people who already own most of the tracks on the released albums won't be willing to spend money on anything but the unreleased or altenate tracks.

.

The hype config #3 still manages to generate in the fandom is a little surprising for me to be honest: we have it on bootleg, though it's probably a fanmade reconstruction, and it's more an early config of SOTT with many solo Prince tracks than the psychedelic group effort we fantasized it would be 25 years ago, when we didn't know the tracklist and believed it contained everything we had on boots from circa 1986.

.

I'm not convinced it would generate much hype if released as such: most professional reviews would probably end-up saying something in the line of "Well, it's cool but disappoitingly similar to SOTT, with some tracks from CB98, Lisa's piano EP and Time Waits For No One scattered in between. A nice release for the most hardcore fan, but you can skip that one if you already own SOTT". This, of course, wouldn't be too good for business.

.

Same with CB86 (which is a much more interesting album IMHO, if only because it's SOTT as it would have been released if not for WB blocking it, but yet doesn't contain so much unreleased material), and I'm not even talking about Camille where some reviewers would probably shout "rip-off".

.

I suppose digital-only releases would be the best compromise for most early albums configs, allowing people to get either some songs or the entire sequencing at their convenience, with maybe a limited physical release (a few thousand copies or so) for the most legendary configs, such as DF3 or CB86?

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home

I apologize for every time I offended someone when debates got "heated". Love y'all yes
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/24/17 8:51am

TwiliteKid

avatar

databank said:

poplife4 said:

Dec 17 - Camille

With only one unreleased track on it, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

.

The question of what to do with all those early configurations of albums (including Dream Factory's several configurations) is going to be an interesting one. Obviously, we the hardcore want them, but realistically many other people who already own most of the tracks on the released albums won't be willing to spend money on anything but the unreleased or altenate tracks.

.

The hype config #3 still manages to generate in the fandom is a little surprising for me to be honest: we have it on bootleg, though it's probably a fanmade reconstruction, and it's more an early config of SOTT with many solo Prince tracks than the psychedelic group effort we fantasized it would be 25 years ago, when we didn't know the tracklist and believed it contained everything we had on boots from circa 1986.

.

I'm not convinced it would generate much hype if released as such: most professional reviews would probably end-up saying something in the line of "Well, it's cool but disappoitingly similar to SOTT, with some tracks from CB98, Lisa's piano EP and Time Waits For No One scattered in between. A nice release for the most hardcore fan, but you can skip that one if you already own SOTT". This, of course, wouldn't be too good for business.

.

Same with CB86 (which is a much more interesting album IMHO, if only because it's SOTT as it would have been released if not for WB blocking it, but yet doesn't contain so much unreleased material), and I'm not even talking about Camille where some reviewers would probably shout "rip-off".

.

I suppose digital-only releases would be the best compromise for most early albums configs, allowing people to get either some songs or the entire sequencing at their convenience, with maybe a limited physical release (a few thousand copies or so) for the most legendary configs, such as DF3 or CB86?

This is spot on. Issuing those configurations would be a waste of release and they would sell poorly.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/24/17 9:00am

MiceElfAgin

TwiliteKid said:

databank said:

With only one unreleased track on it, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

.

The question of what to do with all those early configurations of albums (including Dream Factory's several configurations) is going to be an interesting one. Obviously, we the hardcore want them, but realistically many other people who already own most of the tracks on the released albums won't be willing to spend money on anything but the unreleased or altenate tracks.

.

The hype config #3 still manages to generate in the fandom is a little surprising for me to be honest: we have it on bootleg, though it's probably a fanmade reconstruction, and it's more an early config of SOTT with many solo Prince tracks than the psychedelic group effort we fantasized it would be 25 years ago, when we didn't know the tracklist and believed it contained everything we had on boots from circa 1986.

.

I'm not convinced it would generate much hype if released as such: most professional reviews would probably end-up saying something in the line of "Well, it's cool but disappoitingly similar to SOTT, with some tracks from CB98, Lisa's piano EP and Time Waits For No One scattered in between. A nice release for the most hardcore fan, but you can skip that one if you already own SOTT". This, of course, wouldn't be too good for business.

.

Same with CB86 (which is a much more interesting album IMHO, if only because it's SOTT as it would have been released if not for WB blocking it, but yet doesn't contain so much unreleased material), and I'm not even talking about Camille where some reviewers would probably shout "rip-off".

.

I suppose digital-only releases would be the best compromise for most early albums configs, allowing people to get either some songs or the entire sequencing at their convenience, with maybe a limited physical release (a few thousand copies or so) for the most legendary configs, such as DF3 or CB86?

This is spot on. Issuing those configurations would be a waste of release and they would sell poorly.

.
They wouldn't be a waste and they would sell well if they would come with different outtakes as bonus tracks.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/24/17 9:27am

databank

avatar

TwiliteKid said:

databank said:

With only one unreleased track on it, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

.

The question of what to do with all those early configurations of albums (including Dream Factory's several configurations) is going to be an interesting one. Obviously, we the hardcore want them, but realistically many other people who already own most of the tracks on the released albums won't be willing to spend money on anything but the unreleased or altenate tracks.

.

The hype config #3 still manages to generate in the fandom is a little surprising for me to be honest: we have it on bootleg, though it's probably a fanmade reconstruction, and it's more an early config of SOTT with many solo Prince tracks than the psychedelic group effort we fantasized it would be 25 years ago, when we didn't know the tracklist and believed it contained everything we had on boots from circa 1986.

.

I'm not convinced it would generate much hype if released as such: most professional reviews would probably end-up saying something in the line of "Well, it's cool but disappoitingly similar to SOTT, with some tracks from CB98, Lisa's piano EP and Time Waits For No One scattered in between. A nice release for the most hardcore fan, but you can skip that one if you already own SOTT". This, of course, wouldn't be too good for business.

.

Same with CB86 (which is a much more interesting album IMHO, if only because it's SOTT as it would have been released if not for WB blocking it, but yet doesn't contain so much unreleased material), and I'm not even talking about Camille where some reviewers would probably shout "rip-off".

.

I suppose digital-only releases would be the best compromise for most early albums configs, allowing people to get either some songs or the entire sequencing at their convenience, with maybe a limited physical release (a few thousand copies or so) for the most legendary configs, such as DF3 or CB86?

This is spot on. Issuing those configurations would be a waste of release and they would sell poorly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they would be a waste of release: they are considerably interesting for the most hardcore fans and whomever is interested in studying Prince's music. I'm just saying very few people would be interested: hell, even here you regularly read some people saying there's no way they'll buy an album mostly made of songs they already have on other albums, and this is a fans' board. Therefore, how to release them must be considered thoroughly.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home

I apologize for every time I offended someone when debates got "heated". Love y'all yes
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/24/17 9:36am

databank

avatar

MiceElfAgin said:

TwiliteKid said:

This is spot on. Issuing those configurations would be a waste of release and they would sell poorly.

.
They wouldn't be a waste and they would sell well if they would come with different outtakes as bonus tracks.

They would sell a few thousand copies at most, digital formats included. Which is enough to make some dough, sure, but probably much less than you'd sell with a release made only of outtakes.

.

If I was WB or Universal, my temptation would be to pick all the outtakes from all 3 DF configurations, maybe throw in a few other more Revolution group efforts from 1986, and make a CD or 2 out of it (to be released on their own or alongside SOTT Deluxe). That would obviously sell more than to release SOTT Deluxe, then a year or 2 later try and resell half of SOTT with only a few outtakes under a different title, which is basically what you do if you release DF3 as such.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home

I apologize for every time I offended someone when debates got "heated". Love y'all yes
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/24/17 6:40pm

TwiliteKid

avatar

databank said:



TwiliteKid said:




databank said:



With only one unreleased track on it, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.


.


The question of what to do with all those early configurations of albums (including Dream Factory's several configurations) is going to be an interesting one. Obviously, we the hardcore want them, but realistically many other people who already own most of the tracks on the released albums won't be willing to spend money on anything but the unreleased or altenate tracks.


.


The hype config #3 still manages to generate in the fandom is a little surprising for me to be honest: we have it on bootleg, though it's probably a fanmade reconstruction, and it's more an early config of SOTT with many solo Prince tracks than the psychedelic group effort we fantasized it would be 25 years ago, when we didn't know the tracklist and believed it contained everything we had on boots from circa 1986.


.


I'm not convinced it would generate much hype if released as such: most professional reviews would probably end-up saying something in the line of "Well, it's cool but disappoitingly similar to SOTT, with some tracks from CB98, Lisa's piano EP and Time Waits For No One scattered in between. A nice release for the most hardcore fan, but you can skip that one if you already own SOTT". This, of course, wouldn't be too good for business.


.


Same with CB86 (which is a much more interesting album IMHO, if only because it's SOTT as it would have been released if not for WB blocking it, but yet doesn't contain so much unreleased material), and I'm not even talking about Camille where some reviewers would probably shout "rip-off".


.


I suppose digital-only releases would be the best compromise for most early albums configs, allowing people to get either some songs or the entire sequencing at their convenience, with maybe a limited physical release (a few thousand copies or so) for the most legendary configs, such as DF3 or CB86?



This is spot on. Issuing those configurations would be a waste of release and they would sell poorly.



Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they would be a waste of release: they are considerably interesting for the most hardcore fans and whomever is interested in studying Prince's music. I'm just saying very few people would be interested: hell, even here you regularly read some people saying there's no way they'll buy an album mostly made of songs they already have on other albums, and this is a fans' board. Therefore, how to release them must be considered thoroughly.



That sounds like waste to me! Look at it this way: there are only going to be so many slots for archival Prince material over the next several years. It would be a shame if WB/whoever decided to use one of those slots to put out Crystal Ball, given that only one of those songs is actually unreleased, as the (surely) poor performance of the product would only discourage future releases. We'd be much better off with more expanded reissues and/or a series of outtake collections dedicated to specific eras.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/24/17 6:41pm

TwiliteKid

avatar

databank said:



MiceElfAgin said:




TwiliteKid said:



This is spot on. Issuing those configurations would be a waste of release and they would sell poorly.



.
They wouldn't be a waste and they would sell well if they would come with different outtakes as bonus tracks.



They would sell a few thousand copies at most, digital formats included. Which is enough to make some dough, sure, but probably much less than you'd sell with a release made only of outtakes.


.


If I was WB or Universal, my temptation would be to pick all the outtakes from all 3 DF configurations, maybe throw in a few other more Revolution group efforts from 1986, and make a CD or 2 out of it (to be released on their own or alongside SOTT Deluxe). That would obviously sell more than to release SOTT Deluxe, then a year or 2 later try and resell half of SOTT with only a few outtakes under a different title, which is basically what you do if you release DF3 as such.



Exactly! Fingers crossed this is how things play out.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/25/17 5:41am

Moonbeam

avatar

About as reasonable as I can be with a wishlist is to hope for one release per quarter. I'll try to think of "marquee" items to be released for the holiday season.

June 2017: PR deluxe
September 2017: Piano & Microphone box set (including Paisley Park, Melbourne/Sydney and Atlanta at least)
December 2017: 8/3/83 First Avenue show Blue Ray/DVD/CD plus rehearsal
March 2018: For You deluxe (with demos from 1976-1977)
June 2018: Prince deluxe (plus The Rebels and any live footage/audio they can scrape together)
September 2018: Dirty Mind deluxe (plus outtakes and live footage/audio)
December 2018: 6/7/84 Birthday Show CD with rehearsal, including any video that can be found of the actual show
March 2019: Controversy deluxe (plus Prince version of The Time album/Second Coming DVD/Capitol Theater show on video/CD)
June 2019: 1999 deluxe (including Prince versions of What Time Is It/Vanity 6/3 discs of outtakes/2 DVDs)
September 2019: Purple Rain extras (additional outtakes, Prince versions of Ice Cream Castles/Apollonia 6/The Glamorous Life)
December 2019: 2-disc post-93 compilation
Feel free to join in the Prince Album Poll 2018! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince albums, as decided by you!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/25/17 5:53am

NorthC

soladeo1 said:

Here it is.

Estate/Warner Bros. take notes..

June '17 - Purple Rain Deluxe
Dec '17 - Piano & Microphone: Live in Melbourne
May '18 - 1999 Deluxe
Sept '18 - The Dream Factory (Original Tracklist Configuration)
Dec '18 - Dirty Mind Deluxe
May '19 - Madrid 2 Chicago
Dec '19 - Controversy Deluxe (Inc. The Second Coming)

2 albums a year every year? No way that's gonna happen. And what do you have in mind for Dirty Mind Deluxe?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/25/17 7:06am

soladeo1

NorthC said:

soladeo1 said:
Here it is. Estate/Warner Bros. take notes.. June '17 - Purple Rain Deluxe Dec '17 - Piano & Microphone: Live in Melbourne May '18 - 1999 Deluxe Sept '18 - The Dream Factory (Original Tracklist Configuration) Dec '18 - Dirty Mind Deluxe May '19 - Madrid 2 Chicago Dec '19 - Controversy Deluxe (Inc. The Second Coming)
2 albums a year every year? No way that's gonna happen. And what do you have in mind for Dirty Mind Deluxe?

How does this look?

CD #1 (Original Album Remaster):

Dirty Mind

Uptown

When You Were Mine

Gotta Broken Heart Again

Do It All Night

Sister

Head

Partyup

CD #2 (Unreleased from The Vault):

American Jan

Gotta Stop Messin' About

Lisa

Rough

Bulgaria

Broken

Big Brass Bed

When The Shit Comes Down

Eros

Plastic Love Affair

CD #3: Prince Live, March 22nd, 1982, The Ritz, New York

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/25/17 9:48am

partyup77

The Dirty Mind set looks mighty nice!!

.

For my wishlist, I'd like to see a compilation album of Prince's vocal demos of songs for other artists... The Family, Martika, Sheila E, The Time, Sheena Easton. Would be nice to have those in EX quality and hear some uncirculating gems.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Wishlist: Schedule of The Vault releases 2017-2019