independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 16th Oct 2018 3:35am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Mariah Carey is "Restarting" With New Album
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 3 <123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 03/15/18 9:36am

nextedition

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

paisleypark4 said:

She has been doing that with her last couple of singles and got nowhere. Like I showed, I Dont just released last year only went to #35 / #89 on the charts even though it was a good song imo. Her last top ten single was "Beautiful" with Miguel which was the closest to pop. #10 on the charts. This is why she should keep that up. "Eternal (Dance Remix)" also went #1 on the charts for her. the hip hop thing is just not in her favor right now

Mariah is over a certain age, so she's unlikely to get Top 40 airplay, no matter what she does. When was the last time Madonna had a big hit? She still releases records too. Older rappers like Snoop Dogg and Big Boi from OutKast don't get hit records and they came out around the same time as mariah. Snoop has a new album with gospel singers and Sting & Shaggy have a new collabo album. They're not getting pop airplay either, and they were popular in the past. Their hit making days are mostly over. Young people today don't want to listen to their parents or grandparents music. Maybe if Mariah gets on a DJ Khaled song, she'll have a chance on getting a pop hit. Like Paul McCartney got on a song with Rihanna & Kanye West. Mariah would have to be the guest singer rather than someone else guesting on her song.

But it's not just about "young" people. I don't believe Adele sold her 20 million+ albums to only young people.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 03/15/18 9:56am

MickyDolenz

nextedition said:

But it's not just about "young" people. I don't believe Adele sold her 20 million+ albums to only young people.

It is for hit singles on Top 40. Also, Adele is young and so is Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, Rihanna, and Bruno Mars. So it's the same as always, a younger act is more likely to be a big success over an older one. The thing about Adele is that her CDs were sold in a lot of places that don't normally carry them like drug stores, grocery stores, and gas stations. People bought Adele because it was in places that people can see it and buy it. Other artists don't have that. Like in the past, most people bought records in a record store, because it was there in front of them. Not everybody has a computer and not everybody who has one shop online. To buy a CD online or even a download, you have to have a credit card or a gift card. Kids & teens generally don't have that, so they either download for free or just stream. Many adults don't have credit either. In general, younger people don't buy CDs anyway because many don't have anything to play them on. Don't need a CD for a phone or Ipod.

For 75 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 03/15/18 10:46am

StrangeButTrue

avatar

Adele may be a special case but naming each of her releases after her age at the time of recording has also allowed her to "grow up" with a generation.

if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 03/15/18 2:27pm

StrangeButTrue

avatar

Top 5 Non-Heaux Mariah Tracks:

1 - Melt Away (the original version and the smooth jazz version)

2 - Vision of Love

3 - I Still Believe

4 - Stay The Night (kinda ho-ey but a decent track)

5 - We Belong Together

if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 03/16/18 6:47am

paisleypark4

avatar

StrangeButTrue said:

4 - Stay The Night (kinda ho-ey but a decent track)


Oh I love that song. Kanye West produced that one. Those notes she hits when she screams "and you keep on keep on keep on saying!!!" This type of emotion on this entire album is what made Mimi my favorite album of her whole career. It appeared on "Mine Again" "Your Girl" "Circles" and "Fly Like A Bird" the rawness of her voice even at times breaking is what made those songs special.

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 03/16/18 7:44am

Cinny

avatar

MickyDolenz said:

Maybe if Mariah gets on a DJ Khaled song, she'll have a chance on getting a pop hit. Like Paul McCartney got on a song with Rihanna & Kanye West. Mariah would have to be the guest singer rather than someone else guesting on her song.


This is the most viable idea I have ever read on the org, and DJ Khaled would do this for Mimi in a second.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 03/16/18 8:49am

kitbradley

avatar

paisleypark4 said:

StrangeButTrue said:

4 - Stay The Night (kinda ho-ey but a decent track)


Oh I love that song. Kanye West produced that one. Those notes she hits when she screams "and you keep on keep on keep on saying!!!" This type of emotion on this entire album is what made Mimi my favorite album of her whole career. It appeared on "Mine Again" "Your Girl" "Circles" and "Fly Like A Bird" the rawness of her voice even at times breaking is what made those songs special.

I love that track too. Mainly, because she was doing a lot of screaming, something she hadn't done in a while. I remember a few years before when people where complaining about her whispering her way thru songs and the rumors were circulating her voice was pretty much gone, she tried to address it in an interview by saying she just felt she didn't have to scream on every song to get her point across. I was like, "well, yeah Mariah. We were buying those early records because we wanted to hear you scream. that's what made you a superstar! ". lol So, she returned to the screaming on "Emancipation" and her career blew up again. lol

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 03/16/18 11:44am

cloveringold85

avatar

Of couse she can say "I don't give a damn", because she's a Diva! She has nothing more to prove. She don't need the money. lol

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 03/16/18 1:23pm

kitbradley

avatar

cloveringold85 said:

Of couse she can say "I don't give a damn", because she's a Diva! She has nothing more to prove. She don't need the money. lol

I agree. But, it seems like she is always trying to prove something. When I read David Ritz's book on Aretha Franklin where he stated Aretha was never satisfied with just living with her legacy. She always felt she had something to prove. So, instead of sticking with the type of music she does best, she often found herself chasing trends, wanting to keep up with contemporary artists. I feel the same about Mimi.

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 03/16/18 8:12pm

dancerella

MickyDolenz said:



paisleypark4 said:


She has been doing that with her last couple of singles and got nowhere. Like I showed, I Dont just released last year only went to #35 / #89 on the charts even though it was a good song imo. Her last top ten single was "Beautiful" with Miguel which was the closest to pop. #10 on the charts. This is why she should keep that up. "Eternal (Dance Remix)" also went #1 on the charts for her. the hip hop thing is just not in her favor right now



Mariah is over a certain age, so she's unlikely to get Top 40 airplay, no matter what she does. When was the last time Madonna had a big hit? She still releases records too. Older rappers like Snoop Dogg and Big Boi from OutKast don't get hit records and they came out around the same time as mariah. Snoop has a new album with gospel singers and Sting & Shaggy have a new collabo album. They're not getting pop airplay either, and they were popular in the past. Their hit making days are mostly over. Young people today don't want to listen to their parents or grandparents music. Maybe if Mariah gets on a DJ Khaled song, she'll have a chance on getting a pop hit. Like Paul McCartney got on a song with Rihanna & Kanye West. Mariah would have to be the guest singer rather than someone else guesting on her song.





That is so sad:(
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 03/17/18 8:27am

728huey

avatar

Cinny said:



MickyDolenz said:


Maybe if Mariah gets on a DJ Khaled song, she'll have a chance on getting a pop hit. Like Paul McCartney got on a song with Rihanna & Kanye West. Mariah would have to be the guest singer rather than someone else guesting on her song.




This is the most viable idea I have ever read on the org, and DJ Khaled would do this for Mimi in a second.



I'm not sure about that. I could see Mariah doing a heart-rendering serious love ballad with Josh Groban only to have DJ Khaled at the end of screaming "We da best!" And ruining the whole mood of the song.

Plus I can't believe there's a sticky Mariah Carey thread and this is the first comment I've made on this. I must have been away too long.

typing
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 03/17/18 12:30pm

cloveringold85

avatar

kitbradley said:

cloveringold85 said:

Of couse she can say "I don't give a damn", because she's a Diva! She has nothing more to prove. She don't need the money. lol

I agree. But, it seems like she is always trying to prove something. When I read David Ritz's book on Aretha Franklin where he stated Aretha was never satisfied with just living with her legacy. She always felt she had something to prove. So, instead of sticking with the type of music she does best, she often found herself chasing trends, wanting to keep up with contemporary artists. I feel the same about Mimi.

.

Maybe she's trying to stay relevant. Who knows? confused

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 03/18/18 6:16am

lastdecember

avatar

MickyDolenz said:



lastdecember said:


If the first single says "featuring" its over and she is beyond clueless at this point as to what people want from her.



Are you sure about that? Because here's the Top 10 for this week and 6 of the songs are collabos. There's even 3 on the adult R&B chart which is the format Mariah is more likely to get played on today.

Hot 100
1 Drake - God's Plan
2 Ed Sheeran - Perfect
3 Bruno Mars & Cardi B - Finesse
4 Post Malone feat. Ty Dolla $ign - Psycho
5 Bebe Rexha & Florida Georgia Line - Meant To Be
6 Camila Cabello feat. Young Thug - Havana
7 BlocBoy JB feat. Drake - Look Alive
8 Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey - The Middle
9 The Weeknd & Kendrick Lamar - Pray For Me
10 Migos - Stir Fry

Adult R&B
1 SZA feat. Travis Scott - Love Galore
2 Daniel Caesar feat. Kali Uchis - Get You
3 Charlie Wilson - Chills
4 Khalid - Location
5 Bruno Mars - That's What I Like
6 Tank - When We
7 dvsn - Mood
8 Bruno Mars & Cardi B - Finesse
9 MAJOR. - Honest
10 En Vogue - Rockett



News to all, Mariah is pushing 50 let that sink in a moment. Her hit and chart days are over, she’s been releasing collabos and think sink like the titantic, that last one I Don’t did it even chart? The song with Miguel came and went as quick as people caring who Miguel is. So she is aiming for a chart that she can’t make anymore.

"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 03/18/18 6:35am

StrangeButTrue

avatar

I agree to a certain extent, however there at #10 on the Adult R&B chart (where a 50 year old vital, talented diva should conquer) is 90s holdout En Vogue. And Charlie Wilson. Maybe Mariah should start doing nostalgia package festivals to get back in touch with her real audience like those two acts have been for decades versus pretending she is an arena-worthy act.
[Edited 3/18/18 6:35am]
if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 03/18/18 11:49am

cloveringold85

avatar

lastdecember said:

MickyDolenz said:

Are you sure about that? Because here's the Top 10 for this week and 6 of the songs are collabos. There's even 3 on the adult R&B chart which is the format Mariah is more likely to get played on today.

Hot 100
1 Drake - God's Plan
2 Ed Sheeran - Perfect
3 Bruno Mars & Cardi B - Finesse
4 Post Malone feat. Ty Dolla $ign - Psycho
5 Bebe Rexha & Florida Georgia Line - Meant To Be
6 Camila Cabello feat. Young Thug - Havana
7 BlocBoy JB feat. Drake - Look Alive
8 Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey - The Middle
9 The Weeknd & Kendrick Lamar - Pray For Me
10 Migos - Stir Fry

Adult R&B
1 SZA feat. Travis Scott - Love Galore
2 Daniel Caesar feat. Kali Uchis - Get You
3 Charlie Wilson - Chills
4 Khalid - Location
5 Bruno Mars - That's What I Like
6 Tank - When We
7 dvsn - Mood
8 Bruno Mars & Cardi B - Finesse
9 MAJOR. - Honest
10 En Vogue - Rockett

News to all, Mariah is pushing 50 let that sink in a moment. Her hit and chart days are over, she’s been releasing collabos and think sink like the titantic, that last one I Don’t did it even chart? The song with Miguel came and went as quick as people caring who Miguel is. So she is aiming for a chart that she can’t make anymore.

.

Charlie Wilson! cool

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 03/18/18 12:36pm

lastdecember

avatar

StrangeButTrue said:

I agree to a certain extent, however there at #10 on the Adult R&B chart (where a 50 year old vital, talented diva should conquer) is 90s holdout En Vogue. And Charlie Wilson. Maybe Mariah should start doing nostalgia package festivals to get back in touch with her real audience like those two acts have been for decades versus pretending she is an arena-worthy act. [Edited 3/18/18 6:35am]

I cant take ADULT charts seriously because still what is their method and what is actually getting out there. Mariah still can not deal with the fact that she is not IT anymore where as others seem to just adjust. Lets take her seriously diminished vocals now this would not even be a topic if she would just adjust the keys of the songs, does she not know how to do that? Does she not have something assisting her? Isnt Trey Lorenz still in there somewhere, cant he just say "Look your hot people know it, but put the tits away and fix the keys of these songs please, stop using pre recorded vocals cause you always fuck it up" . I sat and listened the other day to Sammy Hagar who is now 70 talk about high notes and just adjust the damn keys in songs, he was saying he has no idea why people dont accept reality. And he actually sounds good and when the key is adjusted you dont sound foolish. So I have been a fan of hers since the beginning but she lost me over a decade ago, these albums all sound the same just white out which guest rapper is on a single and call them the same fucking record. Its cool she wants to throw the sexy image in your face all the time, but so not necessary. I recenlty watched some Demi Lovato footage from her current tour and she is half Mariah's age basically and Mariah is wearing the same type of outfits trying to be sexy in the same way, and its so forced now its almost laughable.


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 03/18/18 10:59pm

SoulAlive

Mariah is one of those artists who makes the same album over and over smile the formula never changes.Half of the songs will feature rappers.There will be a remake of an old song.Several tracks will feature samples,most songs will be midtempo R&B,etc.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 03/19/18 10:57am

cloveringold85

avatar

SoulAlive said:

Mariah is one of those artists who makes the same album over and over smile the formula never changes.Half of the songs will feature rappers.There will be a remake of an old song.Several tracks will feature samples,most songs will be midtempo R&B,etc.

.

Pretty much! lol

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 03/19/18 3:26pm

uPtoWnNY

lastdecember said:

If the first single says "featuring" its over and she is beyond clueless at this point as to what people want from her.

lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 03/19/18 4:59pm

luvsexy4all

SoulAlive said:

Mariah is one of those artists who makes the same album over and over smile the formula never changes.Half of the songs will feature rappers.There will be a remake of an old song.Several tracks will feature samples,most songs will be midtempo R&B,etc.

when people realized she was black ..that was the olnly change

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 03/20/18 8:08am

kitbradley

avatar

luvsexy4all said:

SoulAlive said:

Mariah is one of those artists who makes the same album over and over smile the formula never changes.Half of the songs will feature rappers.There will be a remake of an old song.Several tracks will feature samples,most songs will be midtempo R&B,etc.

when people realized she was black ..that was the olnly change

I don't know what that has to do with anything but she announced she was black with the first album. I'm not sure why she felt the need to explain her ethnicity to anyone. I remember when she was on Video Soul promoting her debut album and Donnie Simpson flat out asked her about her ethnicity. I thought it was a bit uncouth for him to ask but she has never tried to "pass" as they used to say. She has always been proud and willing to discuss her African-American heritage since Day #1 so if anyone didn't realize she was black until later then shame on them. lol

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 03/20/18 9:46am

Cinny

avatar

cloveringold85 said:

SoulAlive said:

Mariah is one of those artists who makes the same album over and over smile the formula never changes.Half of the songs will feature rappers.There will be a remake of an old song.Several tracks will feature samples,most songs will be midtempo R&B,etc.

.

Pretty much! lol


I actually dug out her last album, Me. I Am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse, to see if this was true.

Eighteen songs.

Track three featuring Nas
Track eight featuring Wale
Track twelve featuring Fabolous

That's it for rappers!

Track fifteen featuring Mary J Blige
Track sixteen featuring R.Kelly

But she still has the MPC on too much of this.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 03/20/18 10:15am

StrangeButTrue

avatar

Whenever I hear or read the words "Elusive Chanteuse" my brain goes to Rural Juror.

if it was just a dream, call me a dreamer 2
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 03/20/18 12:35pm

cloveringold85

avatar

kitbradley said:

luvsexy4all said:

when people realized she was black ..that was the olnly change

I don't know what that has to do with anything but she announced she was black with the first album. I'm not sure why she felt the need to explain her ethnicity to anyone. I remember when she was on Video Soul promoting her debut album and Donnie Simpson flat out asked her about her ethnicity. I thought it was a bit uncouth for him to ask but she has never tried to "pass" as they used to say. She has always been proud and willing to discuss her African-American heritage since Day #1 so if anyone didn't realize she was black until later then shame on them. lol

.

Her father is also African-Venezuelan and her Mother is Irish. Her Mother was disowned by her family for marrying a black man.

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 03/23/18 7:47am

Cinny

avatar

uPtoWnNY said:

lastdecember said:

If the first single says "featuring" its over and she is beyond clueless at this point as to what people want from her.

lol


She feels that the "featuring" formula is her legacy, after Fantasy featuring O.D.B. went pop.

I actually liked 2017's "I Don't" featuring YG but I was annoyed by the kick drum. lol

razz

[Edited 3/23/18 7:50am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 03/24/18 2:41pm

Missmusicluver
72

paisleypark4 said:

StrangeButTrue said:

4 - Stay The Night (kinda ho-ey but a decent track)


Oh I love that song. Kanye West produced that one. Those notes she hits when she screams "and you keep on keep on keep on saying!!!" This type of emotion on this entire album is what made Mimi my favorite album of her whole career. It appeared on "Mine Again" "Your Girl" "Circles" and "Fly Like A Bird" the rawness of her voice even at times breaking is what made those songs special.

Me too, one of my faves by Mariah. I hope she gets back to focusing more on her voice like she did in many of her earlier great albums. She shouldn't need to keep on worrying about chasing trends and trying to appeal to mostly a younger audience I think she needs to leave the rappers off of it for a change too. A little bit of it is ok from time to time, I just feel she has done too way too much of it in her later career just to stay relevant. She's got the voice and talent to not have to rely on that.

[Edited 3/24/18 14:43pm]

Love is God, God is love, girls and boys love God above.
RIP Sweet Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 03/31/18 5:49am

paisleypark4

avatar

Missmusicluver72 said:

paisleypark4 said:


Oh I love that song. Kanye West produced that one. Those notes she hits when she screams "and you keep on keep on keep on saying!!!" This type of emotion on this entire album is what made Mimi my favorite album of her whole career. It appeared on "Mine Again" "Your Girl" "Circles" and "Fly Like A Bird" the rawness of her voice even at times breaking is what made those songs special.

Me too, one of my faves by Mariah. I hope she gets back to focusing more on her voice like she did in many of her earlier great albums. She shouldn't need to keep on worrying about chasing trends and trying to appeal to mostly a younger audience I think she needs to leave the rappers off of it for a change too. A little bit of it is ok from time to time, I just feel she has done too way too much of it in her later career just to stay relevant. She's got the voice and talent to not have to rely on that.

[Edited 3/24/18 14:43pm]

Agree. Save it for a special remix but not on a whole album. Although I did like "Nas" on Dedicated where it fit like a glove. However, there is nothing holding her back from doing anything classy or even working with B Slade / Poyser and Jim Wright for a great album

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 03/31/18 7:01pm

whitechocolate
brotha

avatar

Mariah is a LEGEND. She should start DRESSING like a LEGEND. Knock it off with the swimsuits already and I agree, knock it off with the rappers and the "featuring" on her songs. If you're a songwriter who wrote her way to the top since 1990, you don't need 2 feature NOBODY. Fingers crossed for some REALLY LEGENDARY music; maybe even a cover with class like Nancy Wilson's "Guess Who I Saw Today." One of her most proud moments 4 me was "Bliss" from "Rainbow." She needs to work that instrument some more and show all these talentless b*tches how to REALLY sang!

Hungry? Just look in the mirror and get fed up.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 04/04/18 12:13pm

SupaFunkyOrgan
grinderSexy

avatar

Let it be pop pray beg

She should have ditched the rappers a decade ago. disbelief

2010: Healing the Wounds of the Past.... http://prince.org/msg/8/325740
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 04/10/18 11:23am

paisleypark4

avatar

whitechocolatebrotha said:

Mariah is a LEGEND. She should start DRESSING like a LEGEND. Knock it off with the swimsuits already and I agree, knock it off with the rappers and the "featuring" on her songs. If you're a songwriter who wrote her way to the top since 1990, you don't need 2 feature NOBODY. Fingers crossed for some REALLY LEGENDARY music; maybe even a cover with class like Nancy Wilson's "Guess Who I Saw Today." One of her most proud moments 4 me was "Bliss" from "Rainbow." She needs to work that instrument some more and show all these talentless b*tches how to REALLY sang!

I wouldnt mind her hooking with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis for another track like that again. She had three albums with them and still works with Jim Wright

1442745113795

[Edited 4/10/18 11:25am]

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 3 <123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Mariah Carey is "Restarting" With New Album