independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 23rd Nov 2017 2:58am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > George Michael - New(ish) Box Set Release
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 10/11/17 4:19pm

TrivialPursuit

George Michael - New(ish) Box Set Release

Coming October 20, GM's Listen With Prejudice Vol 1 coupled with MTV Unplugged in one box set. You can preorder on Amazon.

Disc 1
1. Praying For Time
2. Freedom! '90
3. They Won't Go When I Go
4. Something To Save
5. Cowboys And Angels
6. Waiting For That Day
7. Mother's Pride
8. Heal The Pain
9. Soul Free
10. Waiting (Reprise)

Disc 2
1. Freedom! '90
2. Fastlove
3. I Can't Make You Love Me
4. Father Figure
5. You Have Been Loved
6. Everything She Wants
7. Strangest Thing
8. Older
9. Star People
10. Praying For Time
11. George Michael featuring Nile Rodgers - Fantasy

Disc 3
1. Soul Free (Special Radio Edit)
2. Freedom '90 (Back To Reality Mix)
3. Freedom '90 (Back To Reality Mix Edit)
4. Fantasy
5. Freedom '90 (Edit)
6. Cowboys & Angels
7. If You Were My Woman
8. Too Funky (Single Edit)
9. Crazy Man Dance
10. Do You Really Want To Know
11. Happy
12. Too Funky (Extended)
13. Too Jazzy (Happy Mix)
14. Fantasy '98
15. George Michael with Paul McCartney Heal The Pain
16. George Michael with Astrid Gilberto Desafinado

Disc 4
1. The Southbank Show 1990
2. Freedom! '90 promo
3. Praying For Time promo
4. Freedom 90 MTV 10th Anniversary




"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 10/11/17 5:05pm

PennyPurple

avatar

Can't wait. I'll put it on my Christmas list for the kids to get me. biggrin


It's not taking his Estate long to get things out.

[Edited 10/11/17 17:09pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 10/11/17 6:56pm

TrivialPursuit

PennyPurple said:

Can't wait. I'll put it on my Christmas list for the kids to get me. biggrin


It's not taking his Estate long to get things out.


I feel like him, Bowie, and MJ had estates that were well set up and are machines when it comes to separating business from personal. Prince's estate is the exact opposite.

The Unplugged CD is a long time coming, really.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 10/11/17 8:35pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Sticky thumbs up!

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 10/11/17 11:21pm

iveivan

PennyPurple said:

Can't wait. I'll put it on my Christmas list for the kids to get me. biggrin



It's not taking his Estate long to get things out.

[Edited 10/11/17 17:09pm]


This release was scheduled before GM died and was actually delayed several times, most recently following his death.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 10/12/17 4:32am

PennyPurple

avatar

iveivan said:

PennyPurple said:

Can't wait. I'll put it on my Christmas list for the kids to get me. biggrin


It's not taking his Estate long to get things out.

[Edited 10/11/17 17:09pm]

This release was scheduled before GM died and was actually delayed several times, most recently following his death.

I'm just happy its being released.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 10/12/17 10:19am

lastdecember

avatar

Again I know we are clammoring for PRINCE stuff everytime someone deceased releases something, but this was a release due A LONG time ago, was delayed actually because of his death. In Prince's Case we are all going nuts for Vault stuff and that is not really an open matter not because of his "personal and family" it is because of him and how he kept things, where he kept things, did he finish things what did things sound like, who played on these tracks etc....I mean there is still stuff that Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury and Queen did together that still has not seen the light of day and probably never will. So if you are holding out for more PRINCE stuff especially vault stuff, it is a long time coming if ever.


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 10/12/17 2:26pm

thedoorkeeper

Has Too Funky(extended) been previously available?
Never heard that.Kool.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 10/12/17 5:33pm

TrivialPursuit

thedoorkeeper said:

Has Too Funky(extended) been previously available? Never heard that.Kool.


Yes, on a UK & US single. More than one each.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 10/13/17 8:26am

EmmaMcG

Even though I've already got everything included here I'll still likely buy it. Still crossing my fingers for an official Trojan Souls release though.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 10/13/17 12:29pm

TrivialPursuit

EmmaMcG said:

Even though I've already got everything included here I'll still likely buy it. Still crossing my fingers for an official Trojan Souls release though.


Don't. Even. Tease. That.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 10/13/17 3:26pm

EmmaMcG

TrivialPursuit said:



EmmaMcG said:


Even though I've already got everything included here I'll still likely buy it. Still crossing my fingers for an official Trojan Souls release though.


Don't. Even. Tease. That.



It will definitely happen eventually. Didn't his family say that they wanted his fans to hear his music? So it would only make sense to release something as sought after as Trojan Souls. I'm not sure if the song he did with Wendy Melvoin was ever complete but from the bit of it that I've heard it sounds like it would be a great, funky song.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 10/13/17 9:29pm

nextedition

avatar

Disc 3 looks really good, i dont have the red, hot and album anymore and love Happy and Do you really..
Jazz mix of too funky is really cool too.

Funny fantasy was never a single but comes back on so many complications and remuxes. Love that song.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 10/14/17 3:31pm

CynicKill

lastdecember said:

Again I know we are clammoring for PRINCE stuff everytime someone deceased releases something, but this was a release due A LONG time ago, was delayed actually because of his death. In Prince's Case we are all going nuts for Vault stuff and that is not really an open matter not because of his "personal and family" it is because of him and how he kept things, where he kept things, did he finish things what did things sound like, who played on these tracks etc....I mean there is still stuff that Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury and Queen did together that still has not seen the light of day and probably never will. So if you are holding out for more PRINCE stuff especially vault stuff, it is a long time coming if ever.

>

All I'm really asking for is a proper release of the last shows.

That should be a no-brainer for whoever's in charge.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 10/16/17 10:36pm

TrivialPursuit

Has anyone seen Freedom on Channel 4? I downloaded it earlier. It aired Monday night across the pond and hit the torrents soon after. He was almost done with the film when he passed. So it's not some Reelz-esque exposé and gossipy thing. It's from him directly. It quickly covers his early years and immediately gets to him wrapping up the Faith era and how he doubted if he'd ever do this again.

New interviews with Liam Gallagher, Mary J. Blige, Mark Ronson, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, James Cordon, Tracey Emin, and more are included. They recut the Listen Without Prejudice record and literally handed it to the other singers etc. to play a song and talk about the music. Without commercials, it's 91 minutes long. There is some archive footage (a 90s MTV interview before Unplugged, etc.) but the voiceovers and interviews are all new.

Prince and GM are still, by far, the two biggest names we lost last year and the ones I miss the most.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 10/17/17 12:20am

EmmaMcG

TrivialPursuit said:

Has anyone seen Freedom on Channel 4? I downloaded it earlier. It aired Monday night across the pond and hit the torrents soon after. He was almost done with the film when he passed. So it's not some Reelz-esque exposé and gossipy thing. It's from him directly. It quickly covers his early years and immediately gets to him wrapping up the Faith era and how he doubted if he'd ever do this again.

New interviews with Liam Gallagher, Mary J. Blige, Mark Ronson, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, James Cordon, Tracey Emin, and more are included. They recut the Listen Without Prejudice record and literally handed it to the other singers etc. to play a song and talk about the music. Without commercials, it's 91 minutes long. There is some archive footage (a 90s MTV interview before Unplugged, etc.) but the voiceovers and interviews are all new.

Prince and GM are still, by far, the two biggest names we lost last year and the ones I miss the most.



Yeah I watched it the other night. It's good. I normally don't watch these sorts of documentaries but I think this one was done really well. It gave a good insight into the meaning behind some of his songs and if you didn't already think his performance at the Freddie Mercury tribute was impressive, knowing what he was feeling at the time and what would have been playing on his mind makes it even more impressive. Not only that but the parts where it focuses on his war with Sony should be of particular interest to a lot of Prince fans seeing as both artists had similar grievances with record labels. There's even a brief Prince cameo too.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 10/17/17 4:02am

anc282

Feels good to hear THIS ONE AGAIN!!!

One of the best damn cuts on the album.

PUT THIS THANG ON REPEAT. cool

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 10/17/17 2:52pm

TrivialPursuit

EmmaMcG said:


Yeah I watched it the other night. It's good. I normally don't watch these sorts of documentaries but I think this one was done really well. It gave a good insight into the meaning behind some of his songs and if you didn't already think his performance at the Freddie Mercury tribute was impressive, knowing what he was feeling at the time and what would have been playing on his mind makes it even more impressive. Not only that but the parts where it focuses on his war with Sony should be of particular interest to a lot of Prince fans seeing as both artists had similar grievances with record labels. There's even a brief Prince cameo too.


I was drawn to it because he had a full control over it. There was another behind the scenes docu when LWPV1 came out back then. I have it somewhere. But this one was pretty good, too. A good retrospective looking back on the album after twenty-five years.

The Mercury tribute and the story behind what was going on really hit hard. It seems like so much piled on him at once. Older certainly was an answer to all that, and even he said he was the best he could ever have been during Older. You could really feel his journey through Anselmo to Older.

It was nice to see a Prince snip in there. Their grievances were different. GM wanted his contract nullified saying he felt Sony was getting the bulk of his money and was treating him like a work-for-hire. He felt it was stifling to his creativity. Prince wanted to own his music, period. It certainly didn't stifle his creativity because the mid-90s were some of his most creative, prolific, and best output since a decade prior. GM shut down, Prince plowed through. They both made strong 'slave' references but, for me, the similarities ended there.

Overall I dug it a lot. I'll watch it again. Man, I miss him so much.

PS I really would like to see a similar one about Older. The coming out of the darkness, meeting Kenny, his mom dying, the bathroom incident (briefly) and being forced out of the closet in a bigger way (although he said Older was basically him coming out anyway). The estate seems to have a great handle on things and maybe David Austin will head up an Older project in the future.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 10/17/17 3:29pm

anc282

He may've said that "Older" was him coming out, but even on "Listen Without Prejudice" he drops a lot of hints about his sexuality, especially in songs like: "Heal The Pain," "Freedom '90," "Something To Save," even "Mother's Pride." Back in 2004, he said that "Cowboys & Angels" was about a love triangle he was involved in where he was attracted to another man but he couldn't have him. So, IMO "Listen Without Prejudice" is also him coming out, just not as directly.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 10/17/17 3:52pm

TrivialPursuit

anc282 said:

He may've said that "Older" was him coming out, but even on "Listen Without Prejudice" he drops a lot of hints about his sexuality, especially in songs like: "Heal The Pain," "Freedom '90," "Something To Save," even "Mother's Pride." Back in 2004, he said that "Cowboys & Angels" was about a love triangle he was involved in where he was attracted to another man but he couldn't have him. So, IMO "Listen Without Prejudice" is also him coming out, just not as directly.


Totally with ya on that. When you hide so much and you're on edge all the time about people finding out, etc., eventually that wall starts to crumble. You let little things out.


Wasn't "Fantasy" about an older gent (banker?) he was messing with?

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 10/17/17 3:57pm

anc282

TrivialPursuit said:

anc282 said:

He may've said that "Older" was him coming out, but even on "Listen Without Prejudice" he drops a lot of hints about his sexuality, especially in songs like: "Heal The Pain," "Freedom '90," "Something To Save," even "Mother's Pride." Back in 2004, he said that "Cowboys & Angels" was about a love triangle he was involved in where he was attracted to another man but he couldn't have him. So, IMO "Listen Without Prejudice" is also him coming out, just not as directly.


Totally with ya on that. When you hide so much and you're on edge all the time about people finding out, etc., eventually that wall starts to crumble. You let little things out.


Wasn't "Fantasy" about an older gent (banker?) he was messing with?

I think that was "Fastlove," actually.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 10/17/17 5:39pm

thesexofit

avatar

Interesting that the new doc mentioned the then current controversy about "Faith" winning a few American music awards in the rnb catagory. I knew Dionne Warrick had a problem, but Gladys Knight did too it seemed. The fact George still mentioned it meant it obviously hurt him pretty bad back then.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 10/17/17 8:33pm

thedoorkeeper

TrivialPursuit said:



Prince and GM are still, by far, the two biggest names we lost last year and the ones I miss the most.


Two biggest stars FROM THE EIGHTIES!
One name:
David Bowie
[Edited 10/17/17 20:38pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 10/17/17 8:49pm

TrivialPursuit

thedoorkeeper said:

TrivialPursuit said:



Prince and GM are still, by far, the two biggest names we lost last year and the ones I miss the most.

Two biggest stars FROM THE EIGHTIES! One name: David Bowie


Yeah, I don't want to minimize Bowie's passing. He and GM bookended the year of death, as I've called it. I only connected with Bowie a bit more in later years by listening to his early discography. I fully appreciate everything about him. But as far as those who influenced my joy and pain and were on the soundtrack of my life, GM & prince were two of those.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 10/18/17 5:01am

anc282

This documentary just goes to show, in fact it really emphasises the fact that you never really know what's going on behind that curtain when you go and see a concert. It may look like the artist is up there having a great time, but in reality that may not necessarily be the case. And it wasn't just George Michael who complained about feeling lonely after he got back to his home or hotel room. I've read biographies on Simply Red, Rick James & Rod Stewart and all of those artists have said it about themselves as well.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 10/19/17 6:28pm

bluegangsta

avatar

I had a quick scan though it one my way to work this morning, here are a few thoughts;

- Overall the mastering is pretty good, certainly not as offensive and many others nowadays. With that said, the new version of Fantasy stands out significantly, in terms of volume.


- The MTV performance is a different mix than what was broadcasted. I don't think it's better, but everything is more balanced. It features song introductions that were originally cut out.


- I Can't Make You Love Me is a completely different performance than the broadcast and most definitely inferior. Which is a huge shame.


- As far as the other bonus tracks go, some are essential to any music collection, some are not. No one needs the "Special Edit" of Soul Free.

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 10/19/17 6:48pm

TrivialPursuit

bluegangsta said:

I had a quick scan though it one my way to work this morning, here are a few thoughts;

- Overall the mastering is pretty good, certainly not as offensive and many others nowadays. With that said, the new version of Fantasy stands out significantly, in terms of volume.


- The MTV performance is a different mix than what was broadcasted. I don't think it's better, but everything is more balanced. It features song introductions that were originally cut out.


- I Can't Make You Love Me is a completely different performance than the broadcast and most definitely inferior. Which is a huge shame.




Wasn't ICMYLM re-recorded or the video was a dress rehearsal? Something like that, I think. I might be wrong but it seems there's a mental note about that specifically that I'm having with it.

For everyone, it did leak tonight on torrents. MP3s only so far that I'm seeing.

A closer listen on headphones will be a better judge overall for me with the set. I'm going to Target or Best Buy tomorrow to get it.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 10/19/17 9:37pm

Latin

Check out this article published by Super Deluxe Edition entitled "George Michael’s last interview to be broadcast in full on BBC Radio 2":

http://www.superdeluxeedi...c-radio-2/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 10/19/17 9:41pm

Latin

Check out this review published by Super Deluxe Edition of the new George Michael documentary. The article is entitled "Review: George Michael / Freedom":

http://www.superdeluxeedi...l-freedom/
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 10/19/17 10:41pm

PennyPurple

avatar

Latin said:

Check out this review published by Super Deluxe Edition of the new George Michael documentary. The article is entitled "Review: George Michael / Freedom": http://www.superdeluxeedi...l-freedom/

Thanks Latin!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > George Michael - New(ish) Box Set Release