independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 18th Aug 2017 9:21am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Michael Jackson ~ Heaven Can Wait
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 4 1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/28/17 6:47pm

MickyDolenz

Michael Jackson ~ Heaven Can Wait

It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. If you don’t know your business, you’re in trouble! ~ Johnnie Taylor
Each generation has their music that they fall in love with, that makes it special to them ~ Ralph Tresvant
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/29/17 3:47am

Nick677

Love this song! biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/29/17 4:55am

Scorp

One of the best singles on Invincible
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/29/17 1:06pm

MickyDolenz

Scorp said:

One of the best singles on Invincible

I don't remember this being a single. The only single in the US was You Rock My World. I got Cry as an import, mostly for the B-side. Butterflies got R&B station airplay and there was a remix with Eve, but there was not a single released to buy. I've heard Heaven Can Wait on the Quiet Storm, but not any other time on the radio.

It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. If you don’t know your business, you’re in trouble! ~ Johnnie Taylor
Each generation has their music that they fall in love with, that makes it special to them ~ Ralph Tresvant
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/29/17 1:15pm

SoulAlive

MickyDolenz said:

Scorp said:

One of the best singles on Invincible

I don't remember this being a single. The only single in the US was You Rock My World. I got Cry as an import, mostly for the B-side. Butterflies got R&B station airplay and there was a remix with Eve, but there was not a single released to buy. I've heard Heaven Can Wait on the Quiet Storm, but not any other time on the radio.

yeah,it appears that Sony really screwed up the promotion/singles of this album."Heaven Can Wait" has 'hit single' written all over it,and so does "Whatever Happens".These should have been singles.

.

[Edited 5/29/17 13:15pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/29/17 11:02pm

BreakfastCanWa
itXXX

I love this song, it's so beautiful. It has a very dreamy majestic vibe to it.
I used to listen to this and Break Of Dawn. Two of my faves from Invincible.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/30/17 4:06am

FullLipsDotNos
e

avatar

Love it smile Used to cry to this song a long time ago.

full lips, freckles, and upturned nose
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/30/17 4:30am

Scorp

MickyDolenz said:



Scorp said:


One of the best singles on Invincible

I don't remember this being a single. The only single in the US was You Rock My World. I got Cry as an import, mostly for the B-side. Butterflies got R&B station airplay and there was a remix with Eve, but there was not a single released to buy. I've heard Heaven Can Wait on the Quiet Storm, but not any other time on the radio.




It was a single in the since that it was a recorded song on the album


lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/30/17 8:25am

paisleypark4

avatar

Very loving touching song and emotional. I love how his voice growls and screams on the second verse, you know he wasnt playing!

[Edited 5/30/17 8:30am]

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/30/17 9:26am

MickyDolenz

Scorp said:

It was a single in the since that it was a recorded song on the album lol

Going by that, then Revolution 9 by The Beatles is a single.


It's called show business for a reason. It’s 90% business and 10% show. If you don’t know your business, you’re in trouble! ~ Johnnie Taylor
Each generation has their music that they fall in love with, that makes it special to them ~ Ralph Tresvant
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/30/17 10:45am

MattyJam

avatar

Fantastic song. The whole first half of Invincible from Unbreakable right through to Speechless is solid. One killer track after another. It's the middle of the album that brings the quality down on Invincible.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/30/17 12:00pm

mjscarousal

avatar

I love Michael's sensual and silky vocals. This was one of my favs on Invincible.

Stand, you`ve been sitting much too long, there`s a permanent crease in your right or wrong.~Sly Stone
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/30/17 1:25pm

paisleypark4

avatar

MattyJam said:

Fantastic song. The whole first half of Invincible from Unbreakable right through to Speechless is solid. One killer track after another. It's the middle of the album that brings the quality down on Invincible.

Yeah U Are My life, 2000 Watts Cry could have been left off. The quality of track like this though still make it a worthy purchase and listen along with the others.

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/30/17 2:41pm

FullLipsDotNos
e

avatar

paisleypark4 said:

MattyJam said:

Fantastic song. The whole first half of Invincible from Unbreakable right through to Speechless is solid. One killer track after another. It's the middle of the album that brings the quality down on Invincible.

Yeah U Are My life, 2000 Watts Cry could have been left off. The quality of track like this though still make it a worthy purchase and listen along with the others.

Noo! 2000 Watts is my jam!!

full lips, freckles, and upturned nose
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/30/17 3:26pm

EmmaMcG

FullLipsDotNose said:



paisleypark4 said:




MattyJam said:


Fantastic song. The whole first half of Invincible from Unbreakable right through to Speechless is solid. One killer track after another. It's the middle of the album that brings the quality down on Invincible.




Yeah U Are My life, 2000 Watts Cry could have been left off. The quality of track like this though still make it a worthy purchase and listen along with the others.



Noo! 2000 Watts is my jam!!



Everyone has their own opinions on how to improve Invincible. What songs to leave off or add on. I love the album as it is but it could have been so much better had a little more careful editing taken place.

That said, I also love 2000 Watts. And, indeed, Heaven Can Wait. smile
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/31/17 12:02am

MattyJam

avatar

EmmaMcG said:

FullLipsDotNose said:

Noo! 2000 Watts is my jam!!

Everyone has their own opinions on how to improve Invincible. What songs to leave off or add on. I love the album as it is but it could have been so much better had a little more careful editing taken place. That said, I also love 2000 Watts. And, indeed, Heaven Can Wait. smile

For me, Invincible would've been as good as Dangerous and HIStory with this tracklist:

1. Xscape

2. Heartbreaker

3. Hollywood Tonight

4. Break of Dawn

5. Heaven Can Wait

6. You Rock My World

7. Unbreakable

8. Butterflies

9. Speechless

10. Shout

11. We've Had Enough

12. The Lost Children

13. Threatened

14. Whatever Happens

15. Much Too Soon

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/31/17 12:12am

EmmaMcG

MattyJam said:



EmmaMcG said:


FullLipsDotNose said:


Noo! 2000 Watts is my jam!!



Everyone has their own opinions on how to improve Invincible. What songs to leave off or add on. I love the album as it is but it could have been so much better had a little more careful editing taken place. That said, I also love 2000 Watts. And, indeed, Heaven Can Wait. smile


For me, Invincible would've been as good as Dangerous and HIStory with this tracklist:



1. Xscape


2. Heartbreaker


3. Hollywood Tonight


4. Break of Dawn


5. Heaven Can Wait


6. You Rock My World


7. Unbreakable


8. Butterflies


9. Speechless


10. Shout


11. We've Had Enough


12. The Lost Children


13. Threatened


14. Whatever Happens


15. Much Too Soon



Some nice additions. Add in "Let Me Let Go" and I'd be happy with that.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/31/17 1:37pm

Dilan

EmmaMcG said:

MattyJam said:

For me, Invincible would've been as good as Dangerous and HIStory with this tracklist:

1. Xscape

2. Heartbreaker

3. Hollywood Tonight

4. Break of Dawn

5. Heaven Can Wait

6. You Rock My World

7. Unbreakable

8. Butterflies

9. Speechless

10. Shout

11. We've Had Enough

12. The Lost Children

13. Threatened

14. Whatever Happens

15. Much Too Soon

Some nice additions. Add in "Let Me Let Go" and I'd be happy with that.

thats a jason malachi song, and shout is such a terrible song replace that with can't get your weight off of me

I'm feeling a bit fammy™
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/31/17 2:09pm

Adorecream

avatar

For me a great song and so sincere. I love the growls in the second verse too. So positive compare this all the "Bitch get yo ass ova here" and "Yo yo bitch I love dat pussy" type mackadocious shit in R and B and shithop at the time (Ludacris et al).

.

Also it shows his voice was really at its peak by this time, Michael's smooth adult vocals really worked. Even better is Break of Dawn, that song is Princelike in its majesty.

Where I come from, we don't give a damn, we do whatever we please!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 05/31/17 3:27pm

EmmaMcG

Dilan said:



EmmaMcG said:


MattyJam said:



For me, Invincible would've been as good as Dangerous and HIStory with this tracklist:



1. Xscape


2. Heartbreaker


3. Hollywood Tonight


4. Break of Dawn


5. Heaven Can Wait


6. You Rock My World


7. Unbreakable


8. Butterflies


9. Speechless


10. Shout


11. We've Had Enough


12. The Lost Children


13. Threatened


14. Whatever Happens


15. Much Too Soon



Some nice additions. Add in "Let Me Let Go" and I'd be happy with that.

thats a jason malachi song, and shout is such a terrible song replace that with can't get your weight off of me



I know. It was intended to be a private joke I had with another orger but I mixed them up with MattyJam. D'oh! smile
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 05/31/17 4:35pm

SoulAlive

The slower tracks/ballads are great.The only problem with Invincible is....the uptempo tracks aren't that great.Instead of working with Rodney Jerkins,Michael should have worked with Pharrell on some kickass uptempo jams.Actually,he did work with Pharrell but foolishly rejected the tracks nuts so a great song like "Rock Your Body" was given to Justin Timberlake instead.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 05/31/17 7:49pm

SerpentineWoma
n1

angel

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 05/31/17 10:10pm

bluegangsta

avatar

MattyJam said:

For me, Invincible would've been as good as Dangerous and HIStory with this tracklist:

1. Xscape

2. Heartbreaker

3. Hollywood Tonight

4. Break of Dawn

5. Heaven Can Wait

6. You Rock My World

7. Unbreakable

8. Butterflies

9. Speechless

10. Shout

11. We've Had Enough

12. The Lost Children

13. Threatened

14. Whatever Happens

15. Much Too Soon

Much Too Soon isn't an Invincible outtake.

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 06/01/17 12:01am

Free2BMe

Love,Love this song. Sensual and sexy without being about sex!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 06/01/17 12:07am

MattyJam

avatar

bluegangsta said:



MattyJam said:


For me, Invincible would've been as good as Dangerous and HIStory with this tracklist:



1. Xscape


2. Heartbreaker


3. Hollywood Tonight


4. Break of Dawn


5. Heaven Can Wait


6. You Rock My World


7. Unbreakable


8. Butterflies


9. Speechless


10. Shout


11. We've Had Enough


12. The Lost Children


13. Threatened


14. Whatever Happens


15. Much Too Soon



Much Too Soon isn't an Invincible outtake.



Doesn't mean he couldn't have used it on the album. MJ worked on songs for years before eventually putting them on his albums. Little Susie dated back to 1979 in its original form. Earth Song was originally a Dangerous outtake called What About Us. There's countless examples.
[Edited 6/1/17 0:07am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 06/01/17 12:42am

RODSERLING

MickyDolenz said:

Scorp said:

One of the best singles on Invincible

I don't remember this being a single. The only single in the US was You Rock My World. I got Cry as an import, mostly for the B-side. Butterflies got R&B station airplay and there was a remix with Eve, but there was not a single released to buy. I've heard Heaven Can Wait on the Quiet Storm, but not any other time on the radio.

The song peaked at #72 in the rnb charts, where it stayed for 16 weeks (!).

.

So it's a real single.

YRMW wasn't released neither in the US, simply because the single market was dying.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 06/01/17 1:33am

bluegangsta

avatar

MattyJam said:

bluegangsta said:

Much Too Soon isn't an Invincible outtake.

Doesn't mean he couldn't have used it on the album. MJ worked on songs for years before eventually putting them on his albums. Little Susie dated back to 1979 in its original form. Earth Song was originally a Dangerous outtake called What About Us. There's countless examples. [Edited 6/1/17 0:07am]

Just seemed strange that that was the only outtake on that configuration from another era.

Little Suzie was written in 1979 (a version at least). Otherwise, it's actually from the Dangerous era.

Also, Earth song was originally worked on with "The B-Team" in 1986. Although, that was piano and synths only.

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 06/01/17 2:58am

Adorecream

avatar

MattyJam said:

bluegangsta said:

Much Too Soon isn't an Invincible outtake.

Doesn't mean he couldn't have used it on the album. MJ worked on songs for years before eventually putting them on his albums. Little Susie dated back to 1979 in its original form. Earth Song was originally a Dangerous outtake called What About Us. There's countless examples. [Edited 6/1/17 0:07am]

I like your list, but would lose The Lost Children. Blue Gangsta on the other hand and Xscape would really beef the album. It would just be hot and at the very least if the Estate is lost for ideas for more product, they could put all of those songs on an album called - Michael Jackson the best of the 2000s or the last decade (As some of those songs were cut in 99). Oh and add on "What More Can I give"

Where I come from, we don't give a damn, we do whatever we please!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 06/01/17 3:32am

RODSERLING

SoulAlive said:

MickyDolenz said:

I don't remember this being a single. The only single in the US was You Rock My World. I got Cry as an import, mostly for the B-side. Butterflies got R&B station airplay and there was a remix with Eve, but there was not a single released to buy. I've heard Heaven Can Wait on the Quiet Storm, but not any other time on the radio.

yeah,it appears that Sony really screwed up the promotion/singles of this album."Heaven Can Wait" has 'hit single' written all over it,and so does "Whatever Happens".These should have been singles.

.

[Edited 5/29/17 13:15pm]

It was MJ who volontarily screwed up the promotion of INVINCIBLE, with refusing of appearing in music videos of his own singles, and refusing to tour worldwide.

.

For the 1st single, MJ wanted UNBREAKABLE with a 6 millions dollar music video, but was eventually unable to come with a solid concept. 2 directors were fired, it would have been impossible to release the music video in due time for the release of the album.

.

Sony put a final deadline on MJ and they went instead with YRMW, much more mainstream than UNBREAK, so it saved the album's sales for the first weeks.

.

For the 2nd single, MJ wanted BUTTERFLIES, but Sony wanted CRY. But finally, MJ refused to appear in the music videos of those 2 singles. CRY cost 1 million dollar : what a waste !

The invisibility of MJ in his own music videos made INVINCIBLE impossible to promote.

.

For the 3rd single, Sony Europe went with UNBREAK, but MJ was unable to provide a music video for it. Same thing with HEAVEN CAN WAIT, for Sony America.

.

The most incredible in this sad story, is that neither MJ, nor Sony wanted to release WHATEVER HAPPENS and SPEECHLESS. Too bad, because this would have been hits that people would still remember today, and it would have drawn huge sales for the album.

[Edited 6/1/17 5:21am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 06/01/17 4:31am

JorisE73

MickyDolenz said:

Invincible was such a solid album.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 4 1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Michael Jackson ~ Heaven Can Wait