independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 27th Apr 2017 1:37pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Rate all Beatles albums out of 10...
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 04/08/17 5:56pm

fortuneandsere
ndipity

avatar

Rate all Beatles albums out of 10...



Please Please Me - 7


With the Beatles - 6


A Hard Day's Night - 8


The Beatles for Sale - 7


Help! - 7


Rubber Soul - 8


Revolver - 10


Sgt. Pepper - 10


Magical Mystery Tour - 9


The White Album - 9


Abbey Road - 7


Let It Be - 9



"Musically way ahead of any of us" - Elton John on P

"I am a dyed-in-the-wool Englishman!" - Mozart (EU hater)


If most of the vault is like 'OLD FRIENDS 4 SALE' (8/10) prepare to be amazed, if it's more like NPG CLUB albums then don't expect much
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 04/08/17 7:27pm

mynameisnotsus
an



Please Please Me - 8



With the Beatles - 7



A Hard Day's Night - 9



The Beatles for Sale - 7



Help! - 8



Rubber Soul - 9



Revolver - 10



Sgt. Pepper - 9



Magical Mystery Tour - 8



The White Album - 9



Abbey Road - 10



Let It Be - 9




 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 04/08/17 9:26pm

gandorb

Meet the Beatles - 9 (My first album - I was 6 -I would have given it a 10 back then)

The 2nd Album - 7

Hard Day's Night - 9

Something New -8

Beatles 65 - 9

Beatles 6 - 8

Rubber Soul - 10

Revolver - 9

Sgt Pepper 9 (10 when it was released - it sounds a little dated now)

Magical Mystery Tour - 9

The White Album - 10

Abby Road - 10 (one of the best albums EVER)

Let it Be - 7 (great title song though)

[Edited 4/8/17 21:45pm]

[Edited 4/9/17 5:44am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 04/09/17 6:52am

nd33

Please Please Me - 8
With the Beatles - 7
A Hard Day's Night - 9
Beatles for Sale - 7
Help! - 8
Rubber Soul - 9
Revolver - 10
Sgt. Pepper - 10
Magical Mystery Tour - 9
The White Album - 9
Abbey Road - 10
Let It Be - 9


The White album probably has as many (or more) great songs as the ones I rated 10, but because it's a double album, the ratio of great songs to the rest is not as good as the 10's.
Music, sweet music, I wish I could caress and...kiss, kiss...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 04/09/17 11:30am

datdude

So i am Beatles illiterate but the way ppl rave abt them, you'd think every album was an 11...that is all
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 04/09/17 3:44pm

Adorecream

avatar

Please Please me - 6 (Their early stuff was just 2 minute pop) I actually like Love me do more than please please me.

With the Beatles - 8 (Better the music is a lot catchier, still pop but great pop)

A Hard days night - N/A have not heard all of it, about the same as above from what I have.

Beatles for sale - 9 This is where they get really good, the music is deeper and well written

Help! - 7 A slight mistep back into frothy pop. Yesterday is incredible though

Rubber Soul - 10 Pure perfection, the experimental tracks, the sitars and the influence of Harrison moves everything up. The songwriting is a lot of fun

Revolver 10 - Actually my favourite Beatles album, this is truly a work of art!

Sgt Pepper 10 - This is really great too, 1967 was just the psychedelic sound and the Beatles were at the front, the reinvention in 4 short years is why we all consider them geniuses.

Magical Mystery Tour -7 Not so crazy about this, I think they were a bit burned out after 3 perfect albums, it is entertaining though.

The Beatles (White album) - 9½ Back to form, this is really good and first rate stuff, but still not quite on the level of their late 1965 - early 1967 golden period.

Abbey Road - 9 More classic late Beatles, great songs and a real nice feel.

Let it Be - 9 for a break up album this is superb, very much a Beatles lovesexy as none of the Beatles would reach these heights again (John and George nearly, but Paul and Ringo - no)

Sign o the Times - 30 years old this month.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 04/09/17 4:52pm

Dasein


Please Please Me - 5


With the Beatles - 6


A Hard Day's Night - 6


The Beatles for Sale - 6


Help! - 7


Rubber Soul - 9


Revolver - 10


Sgt. Pepper - 9


Magical Mystery Tour - 8


The White Album - 10


Abbey Road - 10


Let It Be - 9



 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 04/09/17 4:56pm

Dasein

datdude said:

So i am Beatles illiterate but the way ppl rave abt them, you'd think every album was an 11...that is all


They didn't figure things out artistically until Rubber Soul. After that, it was over for everybody
else.

Today, if you listen to a pop album as one cohesive artistic statement made by a recording artist(s)
with a batch of songs that purport themselves as having a unifying theme, and it was produced
and written and performed by the recording artists themselves with not too much outside influence
from beyond their inner camp, you're enjoying the legacy of The Beatles.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 04/09/17 5:58pm

214

Please Please Me - 7
With the Beatles - 7
A Hard Day's Night - 8
Beatles for Sale - 8
Help! - 8
Rubber Soul - 9
Revolver - 10
Sgt. Pepper - 9
Magical Mystery Tour - 8
The White Album - 9
Abbey Road - 8
Let It Be - 7

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 04/10/17 8:40am

paisleypark4

avatar

From the albums I have:


Please Please Me - 8 a pleasant surpirise how much I loved this album. Found it on vinyl for 10.00


Help! - 8 This one as well..basically a classic, I have the US Soundtrack version and the UK release


Rubber Soul - 7 1/2 nice but I heard some of the latter albums before this and ruined my experience. its good but didnt pull me in like the next couple albums. I keep giving it chances.


Revolver - 10 CLASSIC


Sgt. Pepper - 10 CLASSIC


Magical Mystery Tour - 9 Just as good but short


The White Album - 8 Good but you can tell they were all over the place and not really as a band...there is a seperation you can feel and hear...but the songs were still great


Abbey Road - 8 Great album and going into more of a rock vibe, less experiemental and more focused on songwriting


Ill buy the rest someday



Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 04/10/17 9:55am

Poplife88

avatar

Please Please Me: 7

With The Beatles: 7

A Hard Days Night: 8

Beatles for Sale: 8

Help!: 9

Rubber Soul: 10

Revolver: 10

Sgt Pepper: 10

Magical Mystery Tour: 8

White Album: 10

Abbey Road: 10

Let It Be: 8

We're gonna need a bigger boat
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 04/10/17 7:30pm

datdude

Dasein said:

datdude said:

So i am Beatles illiterate but the way ppl rave abt them, you'd think every album was an 11...that is all


They didn't figure things out artistically until Rubber Soul. After that, it was over for everybody
else.

Today, if you listen to a pop album as one cohesive artistic statement made by a recording artist(s)
with a batch of songs that purport themselves as having a unifying theme, and it was produced
and written and performed by the recording artists themselves with not too much outside influence
from beyond their inner camp, you're enjoying the legacy of The Beatles.

that is good to know. it still doesn't compel me to LISTEN to a whole song/album by them (i've only heard parts of random songs here and there). what i've heard sounds soulless and i don't like their voices, soooo....i'll continue to look at them as what i perceive to be an overrated curiosity from afar

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 04/11/17 12:50pm

Dasein

datdude said:

Dasein said:


They didn't figure things out artistically until Rubber Soul. After that, it was over for everybody
else.

Today, if you listen to a pop album as one cohesive artistic statement made by a recording artist(s)
with a batch of songs that purport themselves as having a unifying theme, and it was produced
and written and performed by the recording artists themselves with not too much outside influence
from beyond their inner camp, you're enjoying the legacy of The Beatles.

that is good to know. it still doesn't compel me to LISTEN to a whole song/album by them (i've only heard parts of random songs here and there). what i've heard sounds soulless and i don't like their voices, soooo....i'll continue to look at them as what i perceive to be an overrated curiosity from afar


Oh, I get where you're coming from:

When I first started getting serious about music composition, I avoided The Beatles because
of their hype; at the time, it was certainly insufferable. But the more I studied and learned
about pop songwriting and album production, the more I realized these dudes were on a whole
'nuva level. Paul McCartney is the perfect pop musician; he has no flaws, just like Prince and
Stevie Wonder.

I'm sad to say it, but in 2017, The Beatles are an acquired taste.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 04/11/17 5:13pm

fortuneandsere
ndipity

avatar

You know when a band is good when some of their best songs don't even make the albums. Case in point... Day Tripper, We Can Work It Out, I Feel Fine, Paperback Writer!

"Musically way ahead of any of us" - Elton John on P

"I am a dyed-in-the-wool Englishman!" - Mozart (EU hater)


If most of the vault is like 'OLD FRIENDS 4 SALE' (8/10) prepare to be amazed, if it's more like NPG CLUB albums then don't expect much
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 04/11/17 5:18pm

RJOrion

Please Please Me - 6
With the Beatles - 6

A Hard Day's Night - 8

The Beatles for Sale - 6

Help! - 8

Rubber Soul - 10

Revolver - 9

Sgt. Pepper - 7

Magical Mystery Tour - 9

The White Album - 8

Abbey Road - 8

Let It Be - 10

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 04/11/17 6:31pm

UncleJam

avatar

I only like they're heavily drug influenced stuff, so...

-

Sgt Pepper - 8

Magical Mystery Tour - 8

White Album - 10 (Side 1 and 2...or disc 1 of the CD...quite possibly the greatest sequence EVER IMHO)

Abbey Road - 9

Let It Be - 8

Make it so, Number One...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 04/12/17 1:50am

Adorecream

avatar

UncleJam said:

I only like they're heavily drug influenced stuff, so...

-

Sgt Pepper - 8

Magical Mystery Tour - 8

White Album - 10 (Side 1 and 2...or disc 1 of the CD...quite possibly the greatest sequence EVER IMHO)

Abbey Road - 9

Let It Be - 8

In that case you should include Help!, Rubber Soul and Revolver as by that stage they were on dope at least and I am sure Harrison dropped his first acid sometime around the middle of 66. As John Lennon said himself, by the time they got their OBE in mid 1965, it was joints for breakfast and they were apparently getting smoked up in the Buckingham Palace toilets.

.

Even before the mid 60s, they were all drinking like fishes and smoking like chimneys, McCartney's greenie and vegan days were long off in the future.

Sign o the Times - 30 years old this month.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 04/12/17 2:13am

mynameisnotsus
an

fortuneandserendipity said:

You know when a band is good when some of their best songs don't even make the albums. Case in point... Day Tripper, We Can Work It Out, I Feel Fine, Paperback Writer!



Strawberry Fields Forever, Hey Jude...so many great songs
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 04/12/17 6:56am

Poplife88

avatar

fortuneandserendipity said:

You know when a band is good when some of their best songs don't even make the albums. Case in point... Day Tripper, We Can Work It Out, I Feel Fine, Paperback Writer!

Right?? I was going to list Past Masters and give it a 10 as its def one of my faves...but didn't cause thats a collection of the singles.

We're gonna need a bigger boat
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 04/12/17 7:04am

RicoN

avatar

Dasein said:


Please Please Me - 5


With the Beatles - 6


A Hard Day's Night - 6


The Beatles for Sale - 6


Help! - 7


Rubber Soul - 9


Revolver - 10


Sgt. Pepper - 9


Magical Mystery Tour - 8


The White Album - 10


Abbey Road - 10


Let It Be - 9





I think along the same lines. hight give a hard day's night a 7 though and let it be an 8.

Yes, I've probably made a spelling mistake, but I can't be arsed to go back and correc tit.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 04/12/17 7:46am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Abbey Road 7?? That's a masterpiece.

"2freaky is a complete stud." DJ
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 04/12/17 1:05pm

214

Adorecream said:

UncleJam said:

I only like they're heavily drug influenced stuff, so...

-

Sgt Pepper - 8

Magical Mystery Tour - 8

White Album - 10 (Side 1 and 2...or disc 1 of the CD...quite possibly the greatest sequence EVER IMHO)

Abbey Road - 9

Let It Be - 8

In that case you should include Help!, Rubber Soul and Revolver as by that stage they were on dope at least and I am sure Harrison dropped his first acid sometime around the middle of 66. As John Lennon said himself, by the time they got their OBE in mid 1965, it was joints for breakfast and they were apparently getting smoked up in the Buckingham Palace toilets.

.

Even before the mid 60s, they were all drinking like fishes and smoking like chimneys, McCartney's greenie and vegan days were long off in the future.

Exactly

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 04/12/17 2:28pm

sexton

avatar

Please Please Me - 7


With the Beatles - 6


A Hard Day's Night - 8


The Beatles for Sale - 6


Help! - 7


Rubber Soul - 9


Revolver - 10


Sgt. Pepper - 10


Magical Mystery Tour - 10


The White Album - 9


Abbey Road - 9


Let It Be - 8

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 04/12/17 3:07pm

paisleypark4

avatar

datdude said:

Dasein said:


They didn't figure things out artistically until Rubber Soul. After that, it was over for everybody
else.

Today, if you listen to a pop album as one cohesive artistic statement made by a recording artist(s)
with a batch of songs that purport themselves as having a unifying theme, and it was produced
and written and performed by the recording artists themselves with not too much outside influence
from beyond their inner camp, you're enjoying the legacy of The Beatles.

that is good to know. it still doesn't compel me to LISTEN to a whole song/album by them (i've only heard parts of random songs here and there). what i've heard sounds soulless and i don't like their voices, soooo....i'll continue to look at them as what i perceive to be an overrated curiosity from afar

I was right where you are. Avoided them totally until i heard "Taxman" and I had to know where that song came from and what was behind it...Seriously..Revolver is a very well done, classic masterpiece. For it's time, it sounded like nothing else. no one in those days was putting sounds of India and drug induced spirituality in pop music. One of my favs from Revolver...beautiful and sad.

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 04/12/17 3:26pm

fortuneandsere
ndipity

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

Abbey Road 7?? That's a masterpiece.

Abbey Road always fares well in US polls. I've seen it rated top 10 all time, I'm just not sure why! For me it's a clusterfuck of an album. There's great music but also a lot I don't like. The snob in me says if the Beatles had been classically trained it would been edited down and come out a lot better. But hey, George Martin was producer so maybe I'm wrong, or maybe Martin wasn't 'executive producer' as such - So the Beatles decided what to include?


Revolver and Sgt. Pepper both achieved their lofty ambition. The Beatles' last recording was Abbey Road and the ideas occasionally sound too high for their station, in total contrast to Let It Be which is the Beatles pared down and not trying too hard, but sounding better for it. IMO

"Musically way ahead of any of us" - Elton John on P

"I am a dyed-in-the-wool Englishman!" - Mozart (EU hater)


If most of the vault is like 'OLD FRIENDS 4 SALE' (8/10) prepare to be amazed, if it's more like NPG CLUB albums then don't expect much
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 04/12/17 7:54pm

Moonbeam

avatar

Revolver: 2.2
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band: 2.0
Abbey Road: 2.9

Feel free to join in the Prince Song Poll 2016! Let'a celebrate his legacy by counting down the most beloved Prince songs, as decided by you!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 04/13/17 4:34am

Dasein

paisleypark4 said:

datdude said:

that is good to know. it still doesn't compel me to LISTEN to a whole song/album by them (i've only heard parts of random songs here and there). what i've heard sounds soulless and i don't like their voices, soooo....i'll continue to look at them as what i perceive to be an overrated curiosity from afar

I was right where you are. Avoided them totally until i heard "Taxman" and I had to know where that song came from and what was behind it...Seriously..Revolver is a very well done, classic masterpiece. For it's time, it sounded like nothing else. no one in those days was putting sounds of India and drug induced spirituality in pop music. One of my favs from Revolver...beautiful and sad.


I've never seen this before!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 04/13/17 6:01am

ThePanther

avatar

10 -- Please Please Me

8.5 -- With The Beatles

8.5 -- A Hard Day's Night

9 -- Beatles For Sale

9.5 -- Help!

9.5 -- Rubber Soul

9 -- Revolver

9 -- Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

9.5 -- The Beatles (white album)

9 -- Let It Be (Let It Be...Naked would be 9.5 or maybe 10)

10 -- Abbey Road


(I don't consider Magical Mystery Tour an album.)

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 04/13/17 11:32am

SoulAlive

fortuneandserendipity said:

2freaky4church1 said:

Abbey Road 7?? That's a masterpiece.

Abbey Road always fares well in US polls. I've seen it rated top 10 all time, I'm just not sure why! For me it's a clusterfuck of an album. There's great music but also a lot I don't like.

Abbey Road is my favorite Beatles album music it's a true masterpiece

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 04/13/17 12:20pm

214

paisleypark4 said:

datdude said:

that is good to know. it still doesn't compel me to LISTEN to a whole song/album by them (i've only heard parts of random songs here and there). what i've heard sounds soulless and i don't like their voices, soooo....i'll continue to look at them as what i perceive to be an overrated curiosity from afar

I was right where you are. Avoided them totally until i heard "Taxman" and I had to know where that song came from and what was behind it...Seriously..Revolver is a very well done, classic masterpiece. For it's time, it sounded like nothing else. no one in those days was putting sounds of India and drug induced spirituality in pop music. One of my favs from Revolver...beautiful and sad.

My favorite song of this album, and one of my top three from The Beatles. Beautiful,touching masterpiece.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Rate all Beatles albums out of 10...