independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 29th May 2017 4:17am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Glen Campbell Can’t Play Guitar Anymore Due To Alzheimer’s
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 03/20/17 7:06am

HuMpThAnG

avatar

Glen Campbell Can’t Play Guitar Anymore Due To Alzheimer’s

Glen Campbell’s Alzheimer’s disease has robbed the legendary musician of his ability to play guitar.

The 80-year-old “Rhinestone Cowboy” singer was diagnosed in 2011 and continued touring until 2014, when he was moved into a long-term care facility.

His wife, Kim, still visits almost every day.

Campbell’s lost most of his language, Kim told The Tennessean, and doesn’t understand many words either.

He can play air guitar, but can’t handle the strings on an actual instrument.

And he tries to sing, Kim said.

The lyrics come out as gibberish.

While Campbell is likely in the last stages of Alzheimer’s, his wife is hoping to reach other people in similar situations to her own.

"I want to let people know that there's hope out there. There's help out there. They don't have to do this alone," she told The Tennessean. “They can’t do it alone. It will take you down.”

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/21/17 5:43pm

TonyVanDam

No surprise here. Even Glen knew this could happen, hence why he retired after the farewell tour in 2015[?].

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 03/23/17 3:38pm

PeteSilas

HuMpThAnG said:

Glen Campbell’s Alzheimer’s disease has robbed the legendary musician of his ability to play guitar.

The 80-year-old “Rhinestone Cowboy” singer was diagnosed in 2011 and continued touring until 2014, when he was moved into a long-term care facility.

His wife, Kim, still visits almost every day.

Campbell’s lost most of his language, Kim told The Tennessean, and doesn’t understand many words either.

He can play air guitar, but can’t handle the strings on an actual instrument.

And he tries to sing, Kim said.

The lyrics come out as gibberish.

While Campbell is likely in the last stages of Alzheimer’s, his wife is hoping to reach other people in similar situations to her own.

"I want to let people know that there's hope out there. There's help out there. They don't have to do this alone," she told The Tennessean. “They can’t do it alone. It will take you down.”

that's sad as hell, i just watched a docu on the wrecking crew of which he was a part, he's voluble in that documentary, no indication alzheimers was on the way.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 03/26/17 3:59pm

DiminutiveRock
er

avatar

PeteSilas said:

HuMpThAnG said:

Glen Campbell’s Alzheimer’s disease has robbed the legendary musician of his ability to play guitar.

The 80-year-old “Rhinestone Cowboy” singer was diagnosed in 2011 and continued touring until 2014, when he was moved into a long-term care facility.

His wife, Kim, still visits almost every day.

Campbell’s lost most of his language, Kim told The Tennessean, and doesn’t understand many words either.

He can play air guitar, but can’t handle the strings on an actual instrument.

And he tries to sing, Kim said.

The lyrics come out as gibberish.

While Campbell is likely in the last stages of Alzheimer’s, his wife is hoping to reach other people in similar situations to her own.

"I want to let people know that there's hope out there. There's help out there. They don't have to do this alone," she told The Tennessean. “They can’t do it alone. It will take you down.”

that's sad as hell, i just watched a docu on the wrecking crew of which he was a part, he's voluble in that documentary, no indication alzheimers was on the way.

Is that doc on Netflix?

"When you have people who don't know about science standing in denial of it and rising to power - that is a recipe for the complete dismantling of our informed democracy" - Neil de Grasse Tyson
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 03/26/17 4:25pm

PeteSilas

DiminutiveRocker said:

PeteSilas said:

that's sad as hell, i just watched a docu on the wrecking crew of which he was a part, he's voluble in that documentary, no indication alzheimers was on the way.

Is that doc on Netflix?

i don't know, i bought the deluxe dvd. it looks like it was made over quite a span of years, the release date on the dvd is 2015 but some of the interviews look to go back 20 years or so, the son of one of them produced it as a tribute to his dead father.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 03/26/17 5:13pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

DiminutiveRocker said:

PeteSilas said:

that's sad as hell, i just watched a docu on the wrecking crew of which he was a part, he's voluble in that documentary, no indication alzheimers was on the way.

Is that doc on Netflix?

Yep.

Rent Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me on DVD

Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me

2014 PG Rated PG1hr 44m
rated 4.3 stars
4.3

When country music giant Glen Campbell was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease in 2011, he chose to make his condition public. He then began his farewell tour -- a remarkable musical journey chronicled in this affecting documentary

Rent DVDs for only $4.99 a month.

nothing's forbidden... and nothing's taboo.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Glen Campbell Can’t Play Guitar Anymore Due To Alzheimer’s