independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 29th Mar 2017 8:15am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Why did Janet leave John Mcclain/A&M?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 03/15/17 11:23pm

zebz

Why did Janet leave John Mcclain/A&M?

I heard rumors that John wanted Janet to record a Control 2/disrecord against her family!?! Not sure about this. Janet's image under his tutlage is probably my favorite ever. Not that janet. and velvet rope aren't great.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/16/17 1:13am

SoulAlive

After Control,he was telling Janet that she should call her next album Scandal and that the songs should focus on all the Jackson family scandals disbelief nuts Needless to say,Janet was pissed and refused to do an album like that.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 03/16/17 5:23am

Scorp

SoulAlive said:

After Control,he was telling Janet that she should call her next album Scandal and that the songs should focus on all the Jackson family scandals disbelief nuts Needless to say,Janet was pissed and refused to do an album like that.

this should show how much opportunists was trying to do everything possible to exploit that family to the tilt......the Jacksons have been picked and prodded on for decades......

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 03/16/17 7:33am

getxxxx

avatar

Her deal was up after RN1814.
Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 03/16/17 10:06am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

getxxxx said:

Her deal was up after RN1814.


That's a simplistic answer, though. Her deal was probably for five albums, which RN1814 would have completed that. She had huge success with the last two of that deal, and A&M could have negotiated with her for a much larger new deal. However, if the Scandal story is true, then I'd have left too. Even if they waved $40M under her nose or whatever, to stay around people that want to rip you apart for a dollar is self-harm, IMO. You just don't keep that sort of nonsense around you. You sell your soul for a few bucks, and in the end it's negative energy, compromise, and just bad mojo.

If there were already rumblings of her leaving A&M after RN1814 promotion wrapped up, then Virgin was probably already in her ear (as were other labels possibly) to get her to sign. Her deal with Virgin was a lucrative one. Even post Superbowl, Virgin worked to promote Damita Jo and 20 Y.O. and they both went to #2. Her first non-#1 since Dream Street. (Not saying much because those first two records were so generic anyway.)

It's a bit disappointing to hear the Scandal thing about McClain. It's obvious he was blinded by the green of his paycheck and milking acts like Janet Jackson into padding his own pockets. And he's just stupid. Why would you even ask someone to do that? That's some LaToya bullshit (albeit under Jack Gordon's control), not Janet. I'm glad Janet had the sensibility to say no to that. Hell, she should have written a song about his perpetratin' ass.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 03/16/17 1:00pm

lowkey

not only did he want her to do an album trashing her family he didnt wanna pay jam and lewis what they asked for. janet had actually started recording with another producer but she wasnt feeling the direction. clarence avant had to get involved in order for the 3 of them to get backin the studio. even though john was still in charge of a&r he wasnt as involved with the RN project as he was with control.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 03/16/17 1:39pm

bluegangsta

avatar

What's the source on this whole Scandle thing?

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 03/16/17 2:28pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

bluegangsta said:

What's the source on this whole Scandal thing?


I would like to see an article on it or something.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 03/16/17 2:37pm

SoulAlive

I remember seeing an MTV News segment on Janet and they mentioned the Scandal project.This was back in 1988,if I'm not mistaken.They also mentioned that A&M was having some sort of disagreement with Jam and Lewis.Apparently,Jam and Lewis wanted more money than A&M was willing to spend.It's hard to believe that,after the huge success of Control,there would be any issues surrounding how much money Jam and Lewis should receive.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 03/16/17 3:06pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

SoulAlive said:

I remember seeing an MTV News segment on Janet and they mentioned the Scandal project. This was back in 1988, if I'm not mistaken. They also mentioned that A&M was having some sort of disagreement with Jam and Lewis. Apparently,Jam and Lewis wanted more money than A&M was willing to spend. It's hard to believe that, after the huge success of Control, there would be any issues surrounding how much money Jam and Lewis should receive.


They probably saw it as a fluke. It seems like they were "well okay, you had one hit album, let's not overthink ourselves here". I'd be like, "Bitch, I was in The Time. Give me my money!" haha

Of course, she wasn't exactly a one-hit wonder after half her damn record gets into the top 10 and/or goes to #1, as did the album. Shit, you couldn't get away from her in 1986/7 if you tried. While they had hits before, it was certainly a new precedence set with Control, and just how much producers put into a record with an artist.

We gotta find that video.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 03/16/17 4:06pm

paisleypark4

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

getxxxx said:

Her deal was up after RN1814.


That's a simplistic answer, though. Her deal was probably for five albums, which RN1814 would have completed that. She had huge success with the last two of that deal, and A&M could have negotiated with her for a much larger new deal. However, if the Scandal story is true, then I'd have left too. Even if they waved $40M under her nose or whatever, to stay around people that want to rip you apart for a dollar is self-harm, IMO. You just don't keep that sort of nonsense around you. You sell your soul for a few bucks, and in the end it's negative energy, compromise, and just bad mojo.

If there were already rumblings of her leaving A&M after RN1814 promotion wrapped up, then Virgin was probably already in her ear (as were other labels possibly) to get her to sign. Her deal with Virgin was a lucrative one. Even post Superbowl, Virgin worked to promote Damita Jo and 20 Y.O. and they both went to #2. Her first non-#1 since Dream Street. (Not saying much because those first two records were so generic anyway.)

It's a bit disappointing to hear the Scandal thing about McClain. It's obvious he was blinded by the green of his paycheck and milking acts like Janet Jackson into padding his own pockets. And he's just stupid. Why would you even ask someone to do that? That's some LaToya bullshit (albeit under Jack Gordon's control), not Janet. I'm glad Janet had the sensibility to say no to that. Hell, she should have written a song about his perpetratin' ass.

Right. he must have had his dick hard after he heard "You Need Me" and had all types of thoughts. It was in her best interest financially anyway to leave A&M. However I wonder if that is why they have YET to do any 20th anniversary / 25th anniversary marketing at all for any of the Janet albums under their label.

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 03/16/17 4:59pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

paisleypark4 said:

Right. he must have had his dick hard after he heard "You Need Me" and had all types of thoughts. It was in her best interest financially anyway to leave A&M. However I wonder if that is why they have YET to do any 20th anniversary / 25th anniversary marketing at all for any of the Janet albums under their label.


I've wondered about that. It'd be rather spiteful all this time later to purposely ignore the opportunity for that reason. However, A&M is gone now. It's Universal Music, so there's no reason they can't pull it out and have Jam & Lewis spruce it up. Frankly, with Janet going on baby break, it would have been a great time to get it together.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 03/16/17 6:15pm

bluegangsta

avatar

paisleypark4 said:

TrivialPursuit said:


That's a simplistic answer, though. Her deal was probably for five albums, which RN1814 would have completed that. She had huge success with the last two of that deal, and A&M could have negotiated with her for a much larger new deal. However, if the Scandal story is true, then I'd have left too. Even if they waved $40M under her nose or whatever, to stay around people that want to rip you apart for a dollar is self-harm, IMO. You just don't keep that sort of nonsense around you. You sell your soul for a few bucks, and in the end it's negative energy, compromise, and just bad mojo.

If there were already rumblings of her leaving A&M after RN1814 promotion wrapped up, then Virgin was probably already in her ear (as were other labels possibly) to get her to sign. Her deal with Virgin was a lucrative one. Even post Superbowl, Virgin worked to promote Damita Jo and 20 Y.O. and they both went to #2. Her first non-#1 since Dream Street. (Not saying much because those first two records were so generic anyway.)

It's a bit disappointing to hear the Scandal thing about McClain. It's obvious he was blinded by the green of his paycheck and milking acts like Janet Jackson into padding his own pockets. And he's just stupid. Why would you even ask someone to do that? That's some LaToya bullshit (albeit under Jack Gordon's control), not Janet. I'm glad Janet had the sensibility to say no to that. Hell, she should have written a song about his perpetratin' ass.

Right. he must have had his dick hard after he heard "You Need Me" and had all types of thoughts. It was in her best interest financially anyway to leave A&M. However I wonder if that is why they have YET to do any 20th anniversary / 25th anniversary marketing at all for any of the Janet albums under their label.

Given that there has been no real confirmations of the events that took place, perhaps you could reserve your salacious character assasinations?

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 03/16/17 6:56pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

bluegangsta said:

paisleypark4 said:

Right. he must have had his dick hard after he heard "You Need Me" and had all types of thoughts. It was in her best interest financially anyway to leave A&M. However I wonder if that is why they have YET to do any 20th anniversary / 25th anniversary marketing at all for any of the Janet albums under their label.

Given that there has been no real confirmations of the events that took place, perhaps you could reserve your salacious character assasinations?


And "You Need Me" was about Joseph. It's the closest "scandal" song they were gonna get.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 03/16/17 10:55pm

lowkey

bluegangsta said:

What's the source on this whole Scandle thing?

jimmy jam has talked about this, also a book on janet called 'out of the madness' goes into details about her relationship with john, however they hint at the jacksons having a problem with how close john was getting to their little sister since he grew up with them, the book insinuated his intentions wasnt just business.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 03/17/17 12:46am

SoulAlive

ironically,John McClain is now one of the co-executor of Michael Jackson's will and estate.If you'll recall,a few years ago,the Jackson clan (including Janet) tried to accuse John of being a shady character who should not be in control of MJ's will (they said it it was a forged,fake will).

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 03/17/17 7:15am

BlackCat1985

avatar

SoulAlive said:

ironically,John McClain is now one of the co-executor of Michael Jackson's will and estate.If you'll recall,a few years ago,the Jackson clan (including Janet) tried to accuse John of being a shady character who should not be in control of MJ's will (they said it it was a forged,fake will).



That is the main reason I side with Janet and the others against the estate. John wanted her to trash her family mainly Michael. And now this man is controlling his estate. I would be pissed!!! She knows him probably better than anybody....
BlackCat1985
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 03/17/17 9:17am

paisleypark4

avatar

bluegangsta said:

paisleypark4 said:

Right. he must have had his dick hard after he heard "You Need Me" and had all types of thoughts. It was in her best interest financially anyway to leave A&M. However I wonder if that is why they have YET to do any 20th anniversary / 25th anniversary marketing at all for any of the Janet albums under their label.

Given that there has been no real confirmations of the events that took place, perhaps you could reserve your salacious character assasinations?

Oh you wanna wait till I talk about "You Need Me" to say that lol.

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 03/17/17 2:22pm

getxxxx

avatar

Her A&M deal was for 5 lps. Design of A Decade completed her A&M years.
Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 03/17/17 2:23pm

getxxxx

avatar

And Scandal became Cherrelles Affair.
Nick Ashford was someone I greatly admired, had the honor of knowing, and was the real-life inspiration for Cowboy Curtis' hair. RIP Nick. - Pee Wee Herman
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 03/17/17 3:28pm

paisleypark4

avatar

getxxxx said:

And Scandal became Cherrelles Affair.

I thought Affair was released before Rythm Nation? Am I wrong?

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 03/17/17 7:34pm

kitbradley

avatar

paisleypark4 said:

getxxxx said:

And Scandal became Cherrelles Affair.

I thought Affair was released before Rythm Nation? Am I wrong?

"Affair" was released in 1988. "RN" was 1989.

"It's not nice to fuck with K.B.! All you haters will see!" - Kitbradley
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 03/17/17 8:20pm

Goddess4Real

avatar

You Need Me is a brilliant B/side nod music

Keep Calm & Listen To Prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 03/17/17 10:02pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Goddess4Real said:

You Need Me is a brilliant B/side nod music


It's "Miss You Much"'s sibling.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 03/18/17 4:05am

BlackCat1985

avatar

Goddess4Real said:

You Need Me is a brilliant B/side nod music




Although Janet says she wasn't talking about Joe..... Home girl was definitely talking about Joe.
BlackCat1985
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 03/18/17 8:29am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

BlackCat1985 said:


Although Janet says she wasn't talking about Joe..... Home girl was definitely talking about Joe.


And I'm sure I heard her say it was about Joe, in interviews, etc.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 03/18/17 8:49am

BlackCat1985

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:



BlackCat1985 said:



Although Janet says she wasn't talking about Joe..... Home girl was definitely talking about Joe.


And I'm sure I heard her say it was about Joe, in interviews, etc.



I have never read/seen that interview. Do you a link? I'd like to read what else she had to say.
BlackCat1985
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 03/18/17 9:09am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

BlackCat1985 said:

TrivialPursuit said:


And I'm sure I heard her say it was about Joe, in interviews, etc.

I have never read/seen that interview. Do you a link? I'd like to read what else she had to say.


Hon, the interview was way before the internet. So I've no idea if that's online or not. Y'all know there was a world before the internetz, right? lol

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 03/18/17 12:45pm

lowkey

paisleypark4 said:

getxxxx said:

And Scandal became Cherrelles Affair.

I thought Affair was released before Rythm Nation? Am I wrong?

plus jimmy and terry never worked on an album called scandal, she started working with another producer.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 03/18/17 2:54pm

bboy87

avatar

lowkey said:

paisleypark4 said:

I thought Affair was released before Rythm Nation? Am I wrong?

plus jimmy and terry never worked on an album called scandal, she started working with another producer.

It was Bryan Loren. He came on board in '88 but then Jam and Lewis came back on board

"We may deify or demonize them but not ignore them. And we call them genius, because they are the people who change the world."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Music: Non-Prince > Why did Janet leave John Mcclain/A&M?