independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 17th Feb 2019 6:53pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > 10 years later: Thoroughly revised and updated Ultimate Come, Gold, etc. articles!
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 02/10/19 9:52am

SadAntenna

This is clearly a high-water mark of the Prince community output. Outstanding work!

Such a joy to read through, and the only thing to complain about, is why I can't read about the other 35 years of Prince recordings wink

It reminds me of Per Nilsens work. What ever happened to him?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 02/10/19 10:37am

VioletWaiting

your time on this project is much appreciated. good reading for me to explore thisweek

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 02/11/19 1:51am

scififilmnerd

avatar

SadAntenna said:

This is clearly a high-water mark of the Prince community output. Outstanding work!

Such a joy to read through, and the only thing to complain about, is why I can't read about the other 35 years of Prince recordings wink

It reminds me of Per Nilsens work. What ever happened to him?

Thank you. If my blog left you wanting more, then that's a good thing. Maybe one day I might just expand it with articles on the prince album, the Carmen Electra album and The NPG: Goldnigga - those would fit under the Prince Vs WB headline, so who knows...? hmmm I've certainly thought about it, but it's not in the near future. biggrin

Meanwhile I updated my blog with a few additional quotes from prince's 1997 Musician interview - nothing too spectacular. He compares Chaos And Disorder to The Black Album, talks a bit about In This Bed I Scream and such. Also added an additional quote about The Dawn from Minnesota Monthly. biggrin

I loved Per Nilsens book. It's a must-read book for every Prince fan. I had the pleasure of briefly meeting him when The Nude Tour hit Sweden. Back then he was involved with Uptown Magazine. I loved that mag. I don't know what he's up to now. confused

[Edited 2/11/19 6:35am]

rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 02/13/19 8:41am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

Hmmm, was looking for something completely different and encountered a small article from Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad from Wednesday 19 July 1995, written by Hans-Maarten Post. He mentions an interview he had with Sonny T. in Amsterdam on Monday 17 July, in which Sonny claims that Prince and Warners had made nice, and that TGE would be released via Warners in September.

.

Now I'm wondering when the news about TGE being released was revealed publicly, considering Sonny seems to refer to the May meeting you mention.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 02/14/19 3:08am

scififilmnerd

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

Hmmm, was looking for something completely different and encountered a small article from Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad from Wednesday 19 July 1995, written by Hans-Maarten Post. He mentions an interview he had with Sonny T. in Amsterdam on Monday 17 July, in which Sonny claims that Prince and Warners had made nice, and that TGE would be released via Warners in September.

.

Now I'm wondering when the news about TGE being released was revealed publicly, considering Sonny seems to refer to the May meeting you mention.

Well, I'm not sure exactly when the release date was announced, but it was printed on the cover for The Versace Experience, so it must have been made by 8 July - before the Sonny T. interview you mention. smile

rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 02/14/19 3:22am

scififilmnerd

avatar

I used to go to Prince In Print for prince interviews and reviews of his albums, but when I wanted to link to the site in the Sources section of my blog, I discovered that access to the site was now blocked by a pop-up that cannot be closed and which one does NOT want to click on. omfg

So I linked to Prince Interview Archive instead and noticed some interviews there that I hadn't seen on Prince In Print, so I have only just now finished reading all the 1994-2006 interviews on Prince Interview Archive. That's why there have been minor additions made to my blog since publication. wink

The last things I added were prince talking about Chaos And Disorder being recorded in a week, the lack of promotion for the Letitgo single and him mentioning that the song Gold was the best song, he'd ever recorded. I also found a more detailed quote about the blueprint for Emancipation and deleted the old quote about that. biggrin

But now I'm wondering - with Prince In Print gone - where would I go to find reviews about the Prince And The New Power Generation: prince album if I decide to write about that album? hmmm

[Edited 2/14/19 3:24am]

rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 02/14/19 3:36am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

scififilmnerd said:

I used to go to Prince In Print for prince interviews and reviews of his albums, but when I wanted to link to the site in the Sources section of my blog, I discovered that access to the site was now blocked by a pop-up that cannot be closed and which one does NOT want to click on. omfg

So I linked to Prince Interview Archive instead and noticed some interviews there that I hadn't seen on Prince In Print, so I have only just now finished reading all the 1994-2006 interviews on Prince Interview Archive. That's why there have been minor additions made to my blog since publication. wink

The last things I added were prince talking about Chaos And Disorder being recorded in a week, the lack of promotion for the Letitgo single and him mentioning that the song Gold was the best song, he'd ever recorded. I also found a more detailed quote about the blueprint for Emancipation and deleted the old quote about that. biggrin

But now I'm wondering - with Prince In Print gone - where would I go to find reviews about the Prince And The New Power Generation: prince album if I decide to write about that album? hmmm

[Edited 2/14/19 3:24am]

.

Try older archived versions @ https://web.archive.org/w...ripod.com/ .

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 02/14/19 3:57am

thievesinthete
mple

Thanks so much for all your amazing work, scifi! 1993-96 is my favorite period and your articles have been nothing short of a gift from on high. I have returned to them many times over the years, and will undoubtedly be doing so again now that they've been updated. I'll echo some of the other members here in asking for an updated chronology at the end of each article. The blog posts (amazing as they are) feel a bit incomplete without them. Peace and be wild!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 02/14/19 4:29am

databank

avatar

scififilmnerd said:

I used to go to Prince In Print for prince interviews and reviews of his albums, but when I wanted to link to the site in the Sources section of my blog, I discovered that access to the site was now blocked by a pop-up that cannot be closed and which one does NOT want to click on. omfg

So I linked to Prince Interview Archive instead and noticed some interviews there that I hadn't seen on Prince In Print, so I have only just now finished reading all the 1994-2006 interviews on Prince Interview Archive. That's why there have been minor additions made to my blog since publication. wink

The last things I added were prince talking about Chaos And Disorder being recorded in a week, the lack of promotion for the Letitgo single and him mentioning that the song Gold was the best song, he'd ever recorded. I also found a more detailed quote about the blueprint for Emancipation and deleted the old quote about that. biggrin

But now I'm wondering - with Prince In Print gone - where would I go to find reviews about the Prince And The New Power Generation: prince album if I decide to write about that album? hmmm

[Edited 2/14/19 3:24am]

I still haven't gotten around reading it all in detail but skimming thru it I have 2 questions:

.

I'm a bit confused about the two Same December videos. You say Prince shot a new video in 1996 but Princevault says it has the same length as the one on YT and only has "slightly different images". Hell, I didn't even know that it had been released to TV at the time (Pvault is ambiguous as to whether it has, but I haven't checked the Vault book)... Do you have both versions? How are they different?

.

You make no mention of the alleged original 1993/12/06 limited release of the Undertaker video, is it on purpose?

It's mentioned in the Vault book but not on Princevault, and for years I doubted its existence because despite a thousand copies made according to the Vault, I couldn't find a single copy ever sold online, nor anyone on the Org to admit they had it. However, after many queries, an orger finally claimed to have a copy of it, said they had never watched it (it was obviously not purchased in 93 but later, I assume anyone who would have ordered it in 93 would have watched it) but that the label on the cassette said 36 minutes, which seems to corroborate the fact that it was entirely similar to the audio version, which IIRC is also what the Vault says. Unfortunately this Orger didn't post a picture so they could have made it up (or it could be a NPG Store copy), but at the time whomever it was seemed sincere.

To make things more complicated there is also a circulating digital version of it credited to the Symbol (not Prince) in the opening and ending credits, that features the Marcil footage but maintains most of the original audio version including Dolphin, and no one can tell where this intermediate version comes from (it could also be the NPG Store version).

So the evidence in favor of its existence is the Vault mention (Uptown usually knew their shit), the exact release date being available (where could it come from?) and this one person who claimed to have a copy.

The evidence against it is the fact that Princevault apparently do not acknowledge its existence and that save this one Orger, it seems there isn't a person in the world who has it or knows someone who does.

And if it exists we aren't entirely sure if it's the audio version or early Marcil edit.

After much debate, I had finally decided to put it on my website (with a note explaining the context and the confusion around its existence), but I still have strong doubts.

What's your take on this?

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 02/14/19 6:28am

Thibaut

Very interesting article. I`d say a bit too subjective though.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 02/14/19 7:30am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

databank said:

You make no mention of the alleged original 1993/12/06 limited release of the Undertaker video, is it on purpose?

It's mentioned in the Vault book but not on Princevault, and for years I doubted its existence because despite a thousand copies made according to the Vault, I couldn't find a single copy ever sold online, nor anyone on the Org to admit they had it. However, after many queries, an orger finally claimed to have a copy of it, said they had never watched it (it was obviously not purchased in 93 but later, I assume anyone who would have ordered it in 93 would have watched it) but that the label on the cassette said 36 minutes, which seems to corroborate the fact that it was entirely similar to the audio version, which IIRC is also what the Vault says. Unfortunately this Orger didn't post a picture so they could have made it up (or it could be a NPG Store copy), but at the time whomever it was seemed sincere.

To make things more complicated there is also a circulating digital version of it credited to the Symbol (not Prince) in the opening and ending credits, that features the Marcil footage but maintains most of the original audio version including Dolphin, and no one can tell where this intermediate version comes from (it could also be the NPG Store version).

So the evidence in favor of its existence is the Vault mention (Uptown usually knew their shit), the exact release date being available (where could it come from?) and this one person who claimed to have a copy.

The evidence against it is the fact that Princevault apparently do not acknowledge its existence and that save this one Orger, it seems there isn't a person in the world who has it or knows someone who does.

And if it exists we aren't entirely sure if it's the audio version or early Marcil edit.

After much debate, I had finally decided to put it on my website (with a note explaining the context and the confusion around its existence), but I still have strong doubts.

What's your take on this?

.

FYI: https://web.archive.org/w...taker.html .

.

On October 8th 1993, the NPG store invited visitors to view a new concert film, directed by Parris Patton. Less than 50 fans got the chance to see the film (presented by "Bootleg Videos") wich features General Hospital (US TV series) actress Vanessa Marcill, "The Paisley Park Power Trio" (Prince, Michael B and Sonny T), and Steve, as the receptionist. After the showing, questionares were given out and the attendants were asked of their opinions and if they would buy it if it was released as a video. Obvious a success, on December 6th, the NPG store began taking orders for Prince's home video The Undertaker,. The video was a limited edition of 1000 copies at $50 each. Word about this spread very quickly with no promotion at all and the videos sold out at once. More and more demands came by the fans, so The Undertaker were officially released by Warner Music Vision in the UK on March 6th 1994 and later in March in the rest of Europe and Japan, on both VHS and Laser Disc, with art direction and design by B, J.C. Munson and C. Hermes.

.

Wondering if there was reports of this in The prince Family newsletter at the time. Also, you'd expect this original version to be widely bootlegged if it was significantly different.

.

BTW did you see this: https://recordmecca.com/i...master-cd/ ?

.

[Edited 2/14/19 7:44am]

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 02/15/19 7:28am

scififilmnerd

avatar

databank said:

I'm a bit confused about the two Same December videos. You say Prince shot a new video in 1996 but Princevault says it has the same length as the one on YT and only has "slightly different images". Hell, I didn't even know that it had been released to TV at the time (Pvault is ambiguous as to whether it has, but I haven't checked the Vault book)... Do you have both versions? How are they different?



I wrote that there are two versions of the video because that's what I read in Uptown Presents Days of Wild. I have only seen the latter which was shown on TV in 1996. I always assumed the first version was just the performance of the song and then the second version had the dramatic footage with the record industry man added because The NPG had been disbanded by then. I will change it from "new video" to "new version of the video" as soon as possible.wink
[Edited 2/15/19 14:58pm]
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 02/15/19 8:21am

scififilmnerd

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:



databank said:



You make no mention of the alleged original 1993/12/06 limited release of the Undertaker video, is it on purpose?



.


FYI: https://web.archive.org/w...taker.html .


.



On October 8th 1993, the NPG store invited visitors to view a new concert film, directed by Parris Patton. Less than 50 fans got the chance to see the film (presented by "Bootleg Videos") wich features General Hospital (US TV series) actress Vanessa Marcill, "The Paisley Park Power Trio" (Prince, Michael B and Sonny T), and Steve, as the receptionist. After the showing, questionares were given out and the attendants were asked of their opinions and if they would buy it if it was released as a video. Obvious a success, on December 6th, the NPG store began taking orders for Prince's home video The Undertaker,. The video was a limited edition of 1000 copies at $50 each. Word about this spread very quickly with no promotion at all and the videos sold out at once. More and more demands came by the fans, so The Undertaker were officially released by Warner Music Vision in the UK on March 6th 1994 and later in March in the rest of Europe and Japan, on both VHS and Laser Disc, with art direction and design by B, J.C. Munson and C. Hermes.




I didn't know there had been a limited release prior to the official one. Thanks for the information, Bart. I'll add it to my blog as soon as possible. smile
[Edited 2/15/19 8:29am]
rainbow woot! FREE THE 29 MAY 1993 COME CONFIGURATION! woot! rainbow
rainbow woot! FREE THE 1994 CHAOS AND DISORDER CONFIGURATION woot! rainbow
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 02/15/19 8:35am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

scififilmnerd said:

BartVanHemelen said:

I didn't know there had been a limited release prior to the official one. Thanks for the information, Bart. I'll add it to my blog as soon as possible. smile [Edited 2/15/19 8:29am]

.

I don't know if this story is true, though. I can't recall ever having heard of this, but then it was 25+ years ago so I might have forgotten.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 02/16/19 10:02am

Rzeplica

avatar

I had both versions of "The Same December" on vhs long ago. Same video, but one was missing the cgi graphics. I'm pretty sure that was the only difference, but it's been forever
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 02/17/19 2:25am

databank

avatar

Rzeplica said:

I had both versions of "The Same December" on vhs long ago. Same video, but one was missing the cgi graphics. I'm pretty sure that was the only difference, but it's been forever

That would explain it. So the one on YT is the June 1996 version aired on TV?

Was the original ever aired? Was your copy from TV or a bootleg?

Thx hug

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 02/17/19 2:52am

databank

avatar

scififilmnerd said:

BartVanHemelen said:

I didn't know there had been a limited release prior to the official one. Thanks for the information, Bart. I'll add it to my blog as soon as possible. smile [Edited 2/15/19 8:29am]

Thx Bart, you're always useful when it comes to digging old websites biggrin

Scifi my problem is the same as Bart's: IDK whether the story is true. For one thing they date the WB release 1994 instead of 1995, but let's assume it's a mere typo and they know their shit. What of the rest?

.

I did some more detective work and I could trace the original text about NPG STore taking orders and the video being "sold out at once" in Uptown#12, in the "Crucial" brief news. Then going back to Uptown #11, they briefly describe the film and mention the 10/08 public showing, and guess what it clearly describes the Vanessa Marcil scenes, so whatever was shown and/or sold in late 1993 was the bootleg version on the Ultimate Undertaker bootleg and cannot possibly have been 36 mn since the film versions are about 40mn long.

.

What does it say about that one and only person who claimed to have it and that it was labeled "36 mn"? Either what they had was genuine mislabeled based on the audio version's length, or it was a bootleg, or they were lying. I can't tell which it is.

.

So admitting it was really sold, I'll have to correct my entry to make it reflect the bootleg video, which makes the 36 mn audio version still entirely unreleased to this day in either format.

.

Regardless, 1000 copies is a lot and whomever purchased them must have known they had a collector's item in their hand. So I keep asking the question: where are those 1000 cassettes, where are the pictures, where are the owners, where are the eBay auctions?

.

Regardless, I'll still take Uptown Magazine's word until proven wrong (which could be the case if Pvault's omission is on purpose and not accidental, I'll have to ask them eventually), so Scififilmnerd I think it's worth mentioning in your article, but I suggest you take the same precautions I did and mention the fact that there's a bit of a mystery around this release wink

.

Hopefully someone will read this and come-up with more info.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > 10 years later: Thoroughly revised and updated Ultimate Come, Gold, etc. articles!