independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 21st Sep 2018 7:00pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Pitchfork's top 200 albums of the 80's
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 09/10/18 2:17am

JonnyBoyRebel

Pitchfork's top 200 albums of the 80's

Who would be No.1? MJ? Madonna? U2? REM?

Nope. It is our man with Purple Rain. Plus he has another 3 albums in the top 20 40 list.

These lists are meaningless really because unless they are based on sales numbers, there are no facts that go into making these lists and it is down to the judges personal opinions. But it needs to be said, these lists probably do help with sales of old albums and will surely put once-forgotten artists on the radar of a new generation.

Here is the list.

[Edited 9/10/18 2:18am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 09/10/18 2:47am

CherryMoon57

Wow, that's pretty cool. It would have helped even more if they started the list from the 1st position not the last though. lol

'All generalizations are false, including this one.' Mark Twain
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 09/10/18 2:50am

Lovejunky

avatar

JonnyBoyRebel said:

Who would be No.1? MJ? Madonna? U2? REM?

Nope. It is our man with Purple Rain. Plus he has another 3 albums in the top 20 40 list.

These lists are meaningless really because unless they are based on sales numbers, there are no facts that go into making these lists and it is down to the judges personal opinions. But it needs to be said, these lists probably do help with sales of old albums and will surely put once-forgotten artists on the radar of a new generation.

Here is the list.

[Edited 9/10/18 2:18am]

Dirty Mind # 33

1999 #26

Sign of the Times # 17

for all the People who cant be bothered scrolling through

smile

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 09/10/18 7:18am

ThePanther

avatar

JonnyBoyRebel said:

These lists are meaningless really because unless they are based on sales numbers...


The lists are not based on sales numbers whatsoever. But yes, they're meaningless.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 09/10/18 9:00am

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

A lot of great music on that list. The numbering is irrelevant because there is so much they got right. It all depends on the mood youre in.
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 09/10/18 10:31am

TKO

avatar

Lovejunky said:

JonnyBoyRebel said:

Who would be No.1? MJ? Madonna? U2? REM?

Nope. It is our man with Purple Rain. Plus he has another 3 albums in the top 20 40 list.

These lists are meaningless really because unless they are based on sales numbers, there are no facts that go into making these lists and it is down to the judges personal opinions. But it needs to be said, these lists probably do help with sales of old albums and will surely put once-forgotten artists on the radar of a new generation.

Here is the list.

[Edited 9/10/18 2:18am]

Dirty Mind # 33

1999 #26

Sign of the Times # 17

for all the People who cant be bothered scrolling through

smile

Thanks.

They only missing my fave, Parade.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 09/10/18 12:16pm

luvsexy4all

but what is a Throbbing Gristle?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 09/10/18 11:06pm

JonnyBoyRebel

ThePanther said:

JonnyBoyRebel said:

These lists are meaningless really because unless they are based on sales numbers...


The lists are not based on sales numbers whatsoever. But yes, they're meaningless.

That's what I said.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 09/11/18 1:59pm

mediumdry

TKO said:

Lovejunky said:

Dirty Mind # 33

1999 #26

Sign of the Times # 17

for all the People who cant be bothered scrolling through

smile

Thanks.

They only missing my fave, Parade.

.

or his best album, Around The World In A Day. cool

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 09/12/18 9:38am

khemseraph

Sales really don't mean anything for real. It's all about the impact. It's all about what inspired people to want to go and make music
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 09/12/18 2:50pm

eyewishuheaven

avatar

Interesting. Rolling Stone picked the same four albums when they did their own list back in '89. Purple Rain was #2 though, after London Calling (which pissed me off because LC was technically released in '79).

PRINCE: the only man who could wear high heels and makeup and STILL steal your woman!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 09/12/18 4:54pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

I’m not an MJ fan, though I do like songs on Thriller and Off the Wall, But I cannot deny that Thriller and OTW still sound great today. The production and the quality of the songs are just so good. Time has been very kind to them.
Hats off to MJ and Q
Crooked Donnie. Lock him up!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Pitchfork's top 200 albums of the 80's