independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 12th Nov 2018 9:41pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Can You Listen to "Way Back Home" and not cry?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 07/06/18 7:07am

nvrmnd17

Silvertongue7 said:

I can. But it’s an amazing song (and I wish he had released it free from affirmation speech and with Affirmation 2 as an instrumental coda)

Was just listening to it this morning and wishing I could get versions of both of those songs without the nonsense voice over.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 07/09/18 9:03pm

Nonamesfan

Yes, but not to Comeback

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 07/10/18 3:15am

PURPLEIZED3121

not since Josh virtually admitted on twitter that it's Princes' heartbeat via ultrasound that is used on the track....it was a hard listen before I found out...impossible to listen to it now without tears.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 07/10/18 3:44am

daibhi

From "No Country for Old Men" (author:Cormac McCarthy)

"Had dreams… Two of ’em. Both had my father in ’em. It’s peculiar. I’m older now then he ever was by twenty years. So, in a sense, he’s the younger man. Anyway, the first one I don’t remember too well but, it was about meetin’ him in town somewheres and he give me some money. I think I lost it. The second one, it was like we was both back in older times and I was on horseback goin’ through the mountains of a night. Goin’ through this pass in the mountains. It was cold and there was snow on the ground and he rode past me and kept on goin’. Never said nothin’ goin’ by – just rode on past. And he had his blanket wrapped around him and his head down. When he rode past, I seen he was carryin’ fire in a horn the way people used to do, and I-I could see the horn from the light inside of it – about the color of the moon. And in the dream I knew that he was goin’ on ahead and he was fixin’ to make a fire somewhere out there in all that dark and all that cold. And I knew that whenever I got there, he’d be there. And then I woke up."


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 07/10/18 3:56am

TheFman

Sure i can, it's not THAT bad lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 07/10/18 4:04am

sonshine

avatar

It gets me choked up, but it always has, even prior to his death. I was so excited with that record. It felt new and fresh and real and raw with the whole Mr Nelson thing. It felt like a new chapter was unfolding. And I was so intrigued all over again. Like i hadn't since the first time I saw him on MTV in the LRC video soooo many years ago love
It's a hurtful place, the world, in and of itself. We don't need to add to it. We all need one another. ~ PRN
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 07/10/18 4:50am

bonatoc

avatar

sonshine said:

It gets me choked up, but it always has, even prior to his death.
I was so excited with that record.

It felt new and fresh and real and raw with the whole Mr Nelson thing.
It felt like a new chapter was unfolding. And I was so intrigued all over again.
Like i hadn't since the first time I saw him on MTV in the LRC video soooo many years ago

love


Same here.

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 07/10/18 9:36am

madison

with his passing ...

I really dont listen to his music anymore .....

the prince " thrill " is gone

tombstone

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 07/10/18 10:17am

TKO

avatar

I can

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 07/10/18 11:49am

PeteSilas

bonatoc said:

sonshine said:

It gets me choked up, but it always has, even prior to his death.
I was so excited with that record.

It felt new and fresh and real and raw with the whole Mr Nelson thing.
It felt like a new chapter was unfolding. And I was so intrigued all over again.
Like i hadn't since the first time I saw him on MTV in the LRC video soooo many years ago

love


Same here.

that's what i told my best friend, who is a fan but hasn't kept up like me. that there are a couple songs on aoa that are about as good as anything he ever did.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 07/10/18 11:52am

PeteSilas

PURPLEIZED3121 said:

not since Josh virtually admitted on twitter that it's Princes' heartbeat via ultrasound that is used on the track....it was a hard listen before I found out...impossible to listen to it now without tears.

so the talk of it being his dead son's was not true?

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 07/10/18 12:02pm

anangellooksdo
wn

Yes. I have been able to listen to it now without crying, but I still have a deep feeling of missing him and awe that he’s been passed for this long.

A year and a half ago I couldn’t imagine where we’d all be now, how this would all feel. There’s something about it that’s harder, his absence for so long now.

But the initial grieving seems past.

Does anyone see that we have in part grieved our own losses during this? That this has mirrored that?
~Paisley Park is in your heart~
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 07/10/18 12:08pm

PeteSilas

anangellooksdown said:

Yes. I have been able to listen to it now without crying, but I still have a deep feeling of missing him and awe that he’s been passed for this long. A year and a half ago I couldn’t imagine where we’d all be now, how this would all feel. There’s something about it that’s harder, his absence for so long now. But the initial grieving seems past. Does anyone see that we have in part grieved our own losses during this? That this has mirrored that?

sorry to say but i loved the song before he died and if prince ever sang a song i could relate to, this was it. I feel the same, i could die anytime and it'd be ok, so I don't totally feel bad for the man, i don't understand totally, but the man was tired of the world, tired of people, tired of people's bullshit, probably moreso than any drug issue.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 07/10/18 2:07pm

anangellooksdo
wn

PeteSilas said:



anangellooksdown said:


Yes. I have been able to listen to it now without crying, but I still have a deep feeling of missing him and awe that he’s been passed for this long. A year and a half ago I couldn’t imagine where we’d all be now, how this would all feel. There’s something about it that’s harder, his absence for so long now. But the initial grieving seems past. Does anyone see that we have in part grieved our own losses during this? That this has mirrored that?

sorry to say but i loved the song before he died and if prince ever sang a song i could relate to, this was it. I feel the same, i could die anytime and it'd be ok, so I don't totally feel bad for the man, i don't understand totally, but the man was tired of the world, tired of people, tired of people's bullshit, probably moreso than any drug issue.



I feel he was just tired. He had given all he could, attributed to and backed other musicians, helped people spiritually, lived a good full life, had secured his legacy, had people who loved him and had loved lots of people.
His body was worn out and I think the prospect of living with chronic pain was a heavy, complicated burden.
I don’t think he was ok with leaving then though just because other people suck.
He could choose frequently who was around him, and although I feel he was somewhat pained by our society’s impending personal problems, I don’t k ow that that would be cause for him to be sick of living.
Prince didn’t have to face a lot of the same bullshit we do, although he did have some in those last years.
[Edited 7/10/18 14:08pm]
~Paisley Park is in your heart~
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 07/10/18 2:16pm

PeteSilas

anangellooksdown said:

PeteSilas said:

sorry to say but i loved the song before he died and if prince ever sang a song i could relate to, this was it. I feel the same, i could die anytime and it'd be ok, so I don't totally feel bad for the man, i don't understand totally, but the man was tired of the world, tired of people, tired of people's bullshit, probably moreso than any drug issue.

I feel he was just tired. He had given all he could, attributed to and backed other musicians, helped people spiritually, lived a good full life, had secured his legacy, had people who loved him and had loved lots of people. His body was worn out and I think the prospect of living with chronic pain was a heavy, complicated burden. I don’t think he was ok with leaving then though just because other people suck. He could choose frequently who was around him, and although I feel he was somewhat pained by our society’s impending personal problems, I don’t k ow that that would be cause for him to be sick of living. Prince didn’t have to face a lot of the same bullshit we do, although he did have some in those last years. [Edited 7/10/18 14:08pm]

well, he said himself that he didn't believe in the world anymore, he was already done by that point. As I've said, it's not just the bad things, it could even be the good things, how many bubbleheaded beauties can you bang before it just becomes more dull than masturbation? How many things can you buy that haven't already bought? I really think Breakdown and WBH are his goodbyes, his apologies too. Pain? I don't know, maybe, I just don't know but I think it was only one factor. We aren't in these peoples heads, just looke at bourdain and robin williams, no telling what's going on underneath all the smiles and the everything is great image.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 07/10/18 4:37pm

scratch

avatar

Yes, I can.

But I still can't listen to 'All My Dreams' or 'Love Thy Will Be Done' without tearing up.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 07/10/18 4:42pm

anangellooksdo
wn

PeteSilas said:



anangellooksdown said:


PeteSilas said:


sorry to say but i loved the song before he died and if prince ever sang a song i could relate to, this was it. I feel the same, i could die anytime and it'd be ok, so I don't totally feel bad for the man, i don't understand totally, but the man was tired of the world, tired of people, tired of people's bullshit, probably moreso than any drug issue.



I feel he was just tired. He had given all he could, attributed to and backed other musicians, helped people spiritually, lived a good full life, had secured his legacy, had people who loved him and had loved lots of people. His body was worn out and I think the prospect of living with chronic pain was a heavy, complicated burden. I don’t think he was ok with leaving then though just because other people suck. He could choose frequently who was around him, and although I feel he was somewhat pained by our society’s impending personal problems, I don’t k ow that that would be cause for him to be sick of living. Prince didn’t have to face a lot of the same bullshit we do, although he did have some in those last years. [Edited 7/10/18 14:08pm]

well, he said himself that he didn't believe in the world anymore, he was already done by that point. As I've said, it's not just the bad things, it could even be the good things, how many bubbleheaded beauties can you bang before it just becomes more dull than masturbation? How many things can you buy that haven't already bought? I really think Breakdown and WBH are his goodbyes, his apologies too. Pain? I don't know, maybe, I just don't know but I think it was only one factor. We aren't in these peoples heads, just looke at bourdain and robin williams, no telling what's going on underneath all the smiles and the everything is great image.



When did he say that, Pete?
I’d like to see it in context if you can pull up the quote and any other pertinent information. Simply because I’m always curious about how he felt.
Thanks.
~Paisley Park is in your heart~
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 07/10/18 5:17pm

PeteSilas

anangellooksdown said:

PeteSilas said:

well, he said himself that he didn't believe in the world anymore, he was already done by that point. As I've said, it's not just the bad things, it could even be the good things, how many bubbleheaded beauties can you bang before it just becomes more dull than masturbation? How many things can you buy that haven't already bought? I really think Breakdown and WBH are his goodbyes, his apologies too. Pain? I don't know, maybe, I just don't know but I think it was only one factor. We aren't in these peoples heads, just looke at bourdain and robin williams, no telling what's going on underneath all the smiles and the everything is great image.

When did he say that, Pete? I’d like to see it in context if you can pull up the quote and any other pertinent information. Simply because I’m always curious about how he felt. Thanks.

one of the later concerts, maybe atlanta or oakland, someone help me.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 07/10/18 6:47pm

pinkcashmere23

PeteSilas said:

anangellooksdown said:

PeteSilas said: When did he say that, Pete? I’d like to see it in context if you can pull up the quote and any other pertinent information. Simply because I’m always curious about how he felt. Thanks.

one of the later concerts, maybe atlanta or oakland, someone help me.

I just listened to the show in Atlanta and he said it before he played Waiting In Vain. He said that there was so much "instability" in the world that he didn't believe in it anymore but also that he believed that everyone could get along.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 07/10/18 7:10pm

PeteSilas

pinkcashmere23 said:

PeteSilas said:

one of the later concerts, maybe atlanta or oakland, someone help me.

I just listened to the show in Atlanta and he said it before he played Waiting In Vain. He said that there was so much "instability" in the world that he didn't believe in it anymore but also that he believed that everyone could get along.

ya, he said it, thanks.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 07/10/18 7:18pm

coldasice

I wonder if the heartbeat sample is the same as Sex in The Summer or Maybe his own?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 07/10/18 7:40pm

pinkcashmere23

PeteSilas said:

pinkcashmere23 said:

I just listened to the show in Atlanta and he said it before he played Waiting In Vain. He said that there was so much "instability" in the world that he didn't believe in it anymore but also that he believed that everyone could get along.

ya, he said it, thanks.

You're welcome

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 07/11/18 9:15pm

Krystalkisses

avatar

pinkcashmere23 said:



PeteSilas said:




anangellooksdown said:


PeteSilas said: When did he say that, Pete? I’d like to see it in context if you can pull up the quote and any other pertinent information. Simply because I’m always curious about how he felt. Thanks.

one of the later concerts, maybe atlanta or oakland, someone help me.



I just listened to the show in Atlanta and he said it before he played Waiting In Vain. He said that there was so much "instability" in the world that he didn't believe in it anymore but also that he believed that everyone could get along.



Interesting song choice.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 07/12/18 5:22am

PURPLEIZED3121

PeteSilas said:

PURPLEIZED3121 said:

not since Josh virtually admitted on twitter that it's Princes' heartbeat via ultrasound that is used on the track....it was a hard listen before I found out...impossible to listen to it now without tears.

so the talk of it being his dead son's was not true?

check out Josh's twitter thread.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 07/28/18 9:58pm

Tilikum1983

No
Tilikum1983
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 07/30/18 4:53pm

CherryMoon57

Yes. For some reason, the song never really moved me like 'Come Back', 'Purple Rain', 'SISIA' or 'Empty Room' have done since he has passed. If PR or SISIA come on the radio, it feels very sad. What's strange though is that a song I never really liked before: 'The Most Beautiful Girl In The World' now moves me as it reminds me of his passion for love and women in general. He had a beautiful spirit and a unique way of communicating love to others through his songs.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 07/30/18 10:49pm

SkipperLove

God, I so agree. I like Susan but she speaks in broad generalities about Prince based on her limited time with him. I think her heart is in the right place and I value her opinions but people need to look beyond her.

Personal songs in my opinion are the following..

  • Way Back Home (sometimes it does make me cry)
  • Avalanche
  • Comeback
  • The Truth
  • Don't Play Me
  • Breakdown (I teared up listening to that one recently)
  • June
  • Pearls before the Swine
  • Strange Relationship
  • Beautiful Strange
  • Future Soul Song
  • Time (that line about chasing a woman half his age..LOL)
  • My Computer
  • Old Friends for Sale
  • Let's have a baby
  • Case of u (I know he didn't write but I suspect he related a great deal with the line about living in a box of paints)
  • There is lonely (I know it was written for a film but I suspect that he related to it)
  • Anna Waiting
  • Lady Cab Driver (not literally something that probably happened but his line "This is for why I wasn't born like my brother, handsome and tall" and his talking about using sex to drive his demons away.
  • Reflection
  • Anna Stesia
  • pop life
  • Empty Room
  • Strange Way of saying I love you
  • Billy Jack Bitch (its odd that in the same song that he calls a female journalist a bitch, he also wants to talk to her and win her over.)
  • Love (his divorce song in my opinion)
  • Call my name
  • She loves me for me
  • I Hate U (totally in his "feels" in that one)

PeteSilas said:

jjam said:

The best thing he did in over 20 years and it always felt like, for once, Prince was opening up his heart and being honest and confessional lyrically.

Wish there was a version of it without the voiceover part in the intro.

susan rogers suspected that he wanted to erase the song wally simply because he was emotionally naked, i think it's true but.., i think there are a handful of his songs that are amongst my personal faves where he is emotionally naked, no pretense, no cares about how people are gonna take things. One is old friends for sale (again, unreleased for about ten years) avalanche (obscurely released) and Way Back Home.

[Edited 7/30/18 22:53pm]

[Edited 7/30/18 23:46pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 07/30/18 11:23pm

SkipperLove

I kind of agree. I also think he is trying to find solace in letting go. In other words, Prince finding the silver lining even when he was depressed. Its like he was saying, the pain will end soon so I will let it happen. I will let the chips fall where they may, use drugs if needs be (to find calm and sleep) and look forward to my afterlife. In the movie 13 reasons Why, when the girl decides to commit suicide, there is a day before she does it in which she reaches a contentment/almost happiness because she has accepted her fate and for a brief instant it actually briefly makes her appreciative of the people she loves because she knows she will be saying goodbye soon.. Also, it reminds me a bit of the scene in the Crucible when John Proctor decides not to sign the confession (knowing it will lead to his hanging), he literally lets out a sigh of relief after he tears up the confession (even though a few moments prior he was torn and fearful of his death.)

Krystalkisses said:

I can listen to it without crying. But it makes me feel incredibly sad. I think it is the saddest song he EVER did. You can just feel this person just feels like they are not long for this world. The isolation and alienation in the song is palpable and he just feels like he is trying to convay that normal things, life patterns , experiences , that most people find peace in , it alludes him and he almost feels like a freak and accepts he will never feel comfortable here. sad Very sad song. [Edited 7/1/18 11:52am]

[Edited 7/30/18 23:25pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 07/30/18 11:34pm

SkipperLove

I don't think he was a misanthrope. I think he wished the best for everyone and liked most people but I think he struggled at understanding people.. Free Urself was also released that year (free yourself and save a place for me..). I just think his time was up and he was a bit depressed about his place in the world due to his age, his odd personal life, his physical pain, his confusion and conflicted feelings. I think this song is about a depressed, confused and overwhelmed man who struggled to completely connect with others finding solace in his imagination (dreams) the notion of an afterlife (one he accepted years ago) and by embracing his uniqueness. He also seems to be saying that he feels more alive /"woke" while dreaming than when is actually awake.

pinkcashmere23 said:

PeteSilas said:

one of the later concerts, maybe atlanta or oakland, someone help me.

I just listened to the show in Atlanta and he said it before he played Waiting In Vain. He said that there was so much "instability" in the world that he didn't believe in it anymore but also that he believed that everyone could get along.

[Edited 7/30/18 23:38pm]

[Edited 7/30/18 23:43pm]

[Edited 7/30/18 23:49pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Can You Listen to "Way Back Home" and not cry?