independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 10th Dec 2017 9:59pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > A New example of lowly exploitation of P's image.... How the Princh Stole Christmas
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 12/05/17 11:02am

2045RadicalMat
tZ

A New example of lowly exploitation of P's image.... How the Princh Stole Christmas

ClientFile(311542)

In OTHER sad news


Looks like some other theater group has taken to exploiting Mr. Nelson with some corny crap.

Haven't seen the show, but noticed that it was not mentioned here on the ORG. I passed by a sign of it in NoHo, and was going to post...but you know....all that mumbo jumbo... host site etc.

though I hate to support this, I'm also putting a link for research purposes

Can't the estate stop this? or does it fall under fair usage with "parody"?

https://www.broadwayworld...S-20171010

[Edited 12/5/17 11:22am]

"Damn Dolores, pick another subject, please...introduce the carpet to something other than your knees...."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 12/05/17 11:14am

Mumio

avatar

omg shake censored

Welcome to "the org", Mumio…they can have you, but I'll have your love in the end nod
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 12/05/17 11:46am

antonb

I think it looks kind of cool. Each to there own I guess. Just abit of fun!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 12/05/17 12:03pm

Genesia

avatar

I mean if he did have sex he would break every rule Jehova's have regarding premarital sex so Prince is really just friends with them all anyway.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 12/05/17 12:15pm

bashraka

It's corny and unfortunately without Prince's lawsuit happy trigger finger to stop things like this, crass exploitation like this will continue from here on out.

3121 #1 THIS YEAR
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 12/05/17 12:24pm

PennyPurple

avatar

mad We can always flood the phone lines and tell them to stop this.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 12/05/17 1:13pm

HatrinaHaterwi
tz

avatar

"Something...do not compute." disbelief
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 12/05/17 1:35pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Just no

Edmonton, AB - canada

Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 12/05/17 2:34pm

Mumio

avatar

HatrinaHaterwitz said:



love Riri is just gorgeous!!!!! Love this!

Welcome to "the org", Mumio…they can have you, but I'll have your love in the end nod
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 12/05/17 2:47pm

luvsexy4all

this IS bad..but some people think a NPS is good?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 12/05/17 2:55pm

2045RadicalMat
tZ

luvsexy4all said:

this IS bad..but some people think a NPS is good?

NPS???

that's not in my acronym dictionary other than New Power Soul


I dunno... I'm almost sure this is a cheap misuse of the guy, and posited in a derogatory caricature way.... somethin for the masses/dumb-asses who consume such stuff irregardless of any knowledge of the man.

It bothers me.

I'm still on my Dr. Pepper boycott (One man boycott)...for their timely mock-Prince miniature guy with the "Sweet voice"...

I sent my emails and letters too.

As it is... I'm however many years into no Dr. Pepper/Squirt/7-Up purchases.... despite Dr Pepper being a favorite of mine. That was just in bad taste and so soon.

"Damn Dolores, pick another subject, please...introduce the carpet to something other than your knees...."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 12/05/17 3:28pm

cloveringold85

avatar

I love the Grinch, but Oh God No!! That don't even look like Prince, and what's with that stubby nose??

I love that Rihanna giphy, LOL lol

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 12/05/17 4:33pm

Bighead

2045RadicalMattZ said:



luvsexy4all said:


this IS bad..but some people think a NPS is good?



NPS???

that's not in my acronym dictionary other than New Power Soul


I dunno... I'm almost sure this is a cheap misuse of the guy, and posited in a derogatory caricature way.... somethin for the masses/dumb-asses who consume such stuff irregardless of any knowledge of the man.

It bothers me.

I'm still on my Dr. Pepper boycott (One man boycott)...for their timely mock-Prince miniature guy with the "Sweet voice"...

I sent my emails and letters too.

As it is... I'm however many years into no Dr. Pepper/Squirt/7-Up purchases.... despite Dr Pepper being a favorite of mine. That was just in bad taste and so soon.




Lil' Sweet is the Shit! He's cool as hell.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 12/05/17 5:34pm

Adorecream

2045RadicalMattZ said:

ClientFile(311542)

In OTHER sad news



What the hell? That shit just looks so wrong.

[Edited 12/5/17 17:36pm]

Prince - Love4oneanother
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 12/05/17 5:53pm

laurarichardso
n

PennyPurple said:

mad We can always flood the phone lines and tell them to stop this.

I will forward it on Comerica did stop some stupid play in England a few months ago so I am sure they can stop this as well.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 12/05/17 6:04pm

PennyPurple

avatar

laurarichardson said:

PennyPurple said:

mad We can always flood the phone lines and tell them to stop this.

I will forward it on Comerica did stop some stupid play in England a few months ago so I am sure they can stop this as well.

I hope they can stop it.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 12/05/17 7:40pm

2045RadicalMat
tZ

Bighead said:

2045RadicalMattZ said:



luvsexy4all said:


this IS bad..but some people think a NPS is good?



NPS???

that's not in my acronym dictionary other than New Power Soul


I dunno... I'm almost sure this is a cheap misuse of the guy, and posited in a derogatory caricature way.... somethin for the masses/dumb-asses who consume such stuff irregardless of any knowledge of the man.

It bothers me.

I'm still on my Dr. Pepper boycott (One man boycott)...for their timely mock-Prince miniature guy with the "Sweet voice"...

I sent my emails and letters too.

As it is... I'm however many years into no Dr. Pepper/Squirt/7-Up purchases.... despite Dr Pepper being a favorite of mine. That was just in bad taste and so soon.

Lil'Sweet is the Shit! He's cool as hell

Well. As someone else above said; to each their own.

As a Prince supporter and fan I was offended by that character. It's like they immediately thought of MOCKING HIM since he was now dead. The time frame made me sick, they couldn't show him any respect and instead went to parody him like someone who was a hack or something. ...like Madonna.


It's not a tribute if it 's a complete oversight of the man's works and efforts.

Just my opinion. I got angry when i first saw that stupid Lil Sweet Prince joke

[Edited 12/5/17 20:09pm]
[Edited 12/5/17 20:11pm]
"Damn Dolores, pick another subject, please...introduce the carpet to something other than your knees...."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 12/05/17 7:55pm

thedance

avatar

Satan-Claws



Does any of u remember Prince's e-mail letter from back then about how awful the Christmas time is.... eek



This is a sad chapter imo, because I love christmas time.....

Not that I understood much in that press release/ the letter, whatever it was. eek

Prince 4Ever. heart
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 12/05/17 10:02pm

benni

2045RadicalMattZ said:

Bighead said:
Lil'Sweet is the Shit! He's cool as hell
Well. As someone else above said; to each their own. As a Prince supporter and fan I was offended by that character. It's like they immediately thought of MOCKING HIM since he was now dead. The time frame made me sick, they couldn't show him any respect and instead went to parody him like someone who was a hack or something. ...like Madonna. It's not a tribute if it 's a complete oversight of the man's works and efforts. Just my opinion. I got angry when i first saw that stupid Lil Sweet Prince joke [Edited 12/5/17 20:09pm] [Edited 12/5/17 20:11pm]


Lil Sweet was out long before Prince passed. Or is there something I'm missing that happened after he passed? I think Lil Sweet was on the scene in 2015 and there was an article where people were wondering if Prince would sue, but he never did.

Clinical social work is a healthcare profession based on theories & methods of prevention & treatment in providing mental-health/healthcare services, with special focus on behavioral & bio-psychosocial problems & disorders. Have U hugged an LMSW 2day?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 12/05/17 10:38pm

2045RadicalMat
tZ

benni said:



2045RadicalMattZ said:


Bighead said:
Lil'Sweet is the Shit! He's cool as hell

Well. As someone else above said; to each their own. As a Prince supporter and fan I was offended by that character. It's like they immediately thought of MOCKING HIM since he was now dead. The time frame made me sick, they couldn't show him any respect and instead went to parody him like someone who was a hack or something. ...like Madonna. It's not a tribute if it 's a complete oversight of the man's works and efforts. Just my opinion. I got angry when i first saw that stupid Lil Sweet Prince joke [Edited 12/5/17 20:09pm] [Edited 12/5/17 20:11pm]


Lil Sweet was out long before Prince passed. Or is there something I'm missing that happened after he passed? I think Lil Sweet was on the scene in 2015 and there was an article where people were wondering if Prince would sue, but he never did.


R U 4 REAL?

Did that really happen? EYE never heard of little sweet until Prince's passing.

Maybe I'm in the wrong. Maybe i can drink dr pepper again with only SLIGHT disgust
"Damn Dolores, pick another subject, please...introduce the carpet to something other than your knees...."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 12/06/17 12:11am

jcurley

I don't know anything about lil sweet? But I think this is the opposite of direspectful.
I feel like I've had to defend prince my whole life and forget he's actually really famous. Things like this remind you he's enough in the public consciousness to manipulate his image.

For the last 10 yrs and more I've felt like a member of some esoteric group. This reminds me he's enough of the mainstream to joke about. They're using his music in an entertaining way and I'm sure it's coz the production team love it. Cool.

It's stuff like this not Paisley which will keep Prince alive. When he can become literally an icon and symbol. Exactly like Elvis. He's respected but is so much bigger than musical critique you can even jest with his image. Like Santa etc
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 12/06/17 2:18am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

Or you lot could inform yourself and learn that parody doesn't require anyone's permission.

.

Or were you upset when he was parodied on SNL?

.

When he was parodied in a Scary Movie?

.

Etc etc etc.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 12/06/17 2:33am

2045RadicalMat
tZ

BartVanHemelen said:

Or you lot could inform yourself and learn that parody doesn't require anyone's permission.

.

Or were you upset when he was parodied on SNL?

.

When he was parodied in a Scary Movie?

.

Etc etc etc.

Yes, that was stipulated in my question above... fair use rights stemming from parody....


but to what extentI'm uncertain. fair use only cover so much. If a profit is to be generated from something, then it enters a differing category where consent is usually required by a living person or entity to use the LIKENESS of an icon.

this is DIRECTLY part of their PRESENTATION and is FEATURED on their PLATFORM...which with my brief research umpteen years ago means that it would require estate approval regardless of whehter music is used or not.

I wish there were a cool lawyer on the org who would share currently upheld rulings on such matters. Precedent is also a huge part of law. Some decisions mitigate others... and vice versa...I was sounding off a little asking WHETHER this qualifies as fair use...because i think it does not

"Damn Dolores, pick another subject, please...introduce the carpet to something other than your knees...."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 12/06/17 4:29am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

2045RadicalMattZ said:


but to what extentI'm uncertain. fair use only cover so much. If a profit is to be generated from something, then it enters a differing category where consent is usually required by a living person or entity to use the LIKENESS of an icon.

.

Do you think SNL asked permission? Or Scary Movie? Or are those not for-profit enterprises?

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 12/06/17 5:35am

benni

2045RadicalMattZ said:

benni said:


Lil Sweet was out long before Prince passed. Or is there something I'm missing that happened after he passed? I think Lil Sweet was on the scene in 2015 and there was an article where people were wondering if Prince would sue, but he never did.

R U 4 REAL? Did that really happen? EYE never heard of little sweet until Prince's passing. Maybe I'm in the wrong. Maybe i can drink dr pepper again with only SLIGHT disgust


It looks like the commercials with Lil Sweet started around March 2015. If you look at the date on this article, it's from 3/27/15.


http://www.foxnews.com/en...-diet.html

Clinical social work is a healthcare profession based on theories & methods of prevention & treatment in providing mental-health/healthcare services, with special focus on behavioral & bio-psychosocial problems & disorders. Have U hugged an LMSW 2day?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 12/06/17 9:19am

TrivialPursuit

2045RadicalMattZ said:

Looks like some other theater group has taken to exploiting Mr. Nelson with some corny crap.



Parody and satire are protected under the law. I see nothing wrong with it.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 12/06/17 9:35am

2045RadicalMat
tZ

BartVanHemelen said:

2045RadicalMattZ said:


but to what extentI'm uncertain. fair use only cover so much. If a profit is to be generated from something, then it enters a differing category where consent is usually required by a living person or entity to use the LIKENESS of an icon.

.

Do you think SNL asked permission? Or Scary Movie? Or are those not for-profit enterprises?

They're not FULLY dedicated works using the visage of Prince. Those are "bits"... not the full promotional content which would generate attention, merchandise, sales, etc.

Being that it's not technically his name, and not technically an image of him, I was inquiring. But alas, no lawyers here.

"Damn Dolores, pick another subject, please...introduce the carpet to something other than your knees...."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 12/06/17 11:07am

darkroman

Erm... it doesn't even look anything like Prince!!!


lol lol lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 12/06/17 11:19am

morningsong

avatar

HatrinaHaterwitz said:



I Agree. But this made me laugh so hard.

“Do I dare Disturb the universe?”
― T.S. Eliot

“Only by acceptance of the past, can you alter it”
― T.S. Eliot
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 12/06/17 12:07pm

XxAxX

avatar

tacky idea, IMO. its like sixth grade humor and without regard for his surviving kin
[Edited 12/6/17 12:07pm]
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > A New example of lowly exploitation of P's image.... How the Princh Stole Christmas