independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 20th Jul 2017 11:40pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > *PURPLE RAIN DELUXE* - DISC 4 (SYRACUSE DVD) - Discuss
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #90 posted 07/05/17 6:00pm

PeteSilas

MendesCity said:

So...I know I just said on another thread it was hard to imagine complaining about this release, but finally got to DVD. I'd never seen it, so I'm glad to have done so, but yeah, the quality is absolute garbage. Surely, there are higher quality concert vids from this era?

Also, the middle of this show was a pretentious snooze - made me not feel so bad that I didn't see this tour when I was 13 smile

All that said, it's almost all worth it for those last two numbers. I never thought I'd enjoy another performance of Purple Rain, but that was about as close to a religious experience as I've ever had.

that pretentious shit worked when I was a teenager, when I got to be 19, 20, with a real job, not so much.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #91 posted 07/08/17 3:00pm

mbdtyler

Don't feel like searching through the whole thread, but what's with the poorly mixed "1999" backing vocals towards the end of that song? Who was that, Fink or Bobby Z or someone else? It's so hilariously loud in the mix and it sounds awful lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #92 posted 07/08/17 4:26pm

PeteSilas

mbdtyler said:

Don't feel like searching through the whole thread, but what's with the poorly mixed "1999" backing vocals towards the end of that song? Who was that, Fink or Bobby Z or someone else? It's so hilariously loud in the mix and it sounds awful lol

it was always like that, so it was done live, ya, sounds pretty bad, i think it's mark but it might be fink.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #93 posted 07/09/17 7:29am

Empress

Absolutely great concert, but the quality is pure shit. I'm embarrassed for Prince that it was released with such terrible quality. Prince and the band are awesome, but I think the quality was better on VHS on my ancient vcr. His clothes are sexy and I love his playful side and Purple Rain blew the roof off the place, but let's see properly remastered work in the future. Prince deserves it.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #94 posted 07/09/17 7:48pm

embmmusic

I wonder if that cheeky little kid in the show is still around in the Prince community. Is he on this page?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #95 posted 07/09/17 8:34pm

PeteSilas

embmmusic said:

I wonder if that cheeky little kid in the show is still around in the Prince community. Is he on this page?

i wondered about that too, i doubt he's here, he was probably related to someone in the camp, little fat fuck.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #96 posted 07/11/17 8:03am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

embmmusic said:

I wonder if that cheeky little kid in the show is still around in the Prince community. Is he on this page?

i wonder if that is the same kid mentioned in the 1985 rolling stone interview?

Gemini rising on the 7th day... 21,138
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #97 posted 07/11/17 10:17am

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

I finally popped it in today. I almost turned it right off, as the sound and visuals are such trash. But Prince's performance kept me from doing so. I didn't end up finishing it though.

I wonder if a full concert of that MD show, which the I Would Die 4 U and Baby I'm A Star videos are sourced from, exists, and what kind of state it is in.

"What is life without love? It's hell, Computer Blue!"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #98 posted 07/11/17 10:43am

CAL3

SchlomoThaHomo said:

I finally popped it in today. I almost turned it right off, as the sound and visuals are such trash. But Prince's performance kept me from doing so. I didn't end up finishing it though.

I wonder if a full concert of that MD show, which the I Would Die 4 U and Baby I'm A Star videos are sourced from, exists, and what kind of state it is in.

.

The sound is "trash"? BEG TO DIFFER

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #99 posted 07/11/17 11:16am

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

CAL3 said:

SchlomoThaHomo said:

I finally popped it in today. I almost turned it right off, as the sound and visuals are such trash. But Prince's performance kept me from doing so. I didn't end up finishing it though.

I wonder if a full concert of that MD show, which the I Would Die 4 U and Baby I'm A Star videos are sourced from, exists, and what kind of state it is in.

.

The sound is "trash"? BEG TO DIFFER


Yea. I thought the vocal sounded kind of muddy from the very first word Prince utters, and it didn't get much better from there. To be fair, I haven't played the original in eons, so maybe it sounds better than that. But I'm used to the sound of my SOTT DVD, and it's not even close to that. Even the SOTT VHS sounds better.

"What is life without love? It's hell, Computer Blue!"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #100 posted 07/11/17 2:21pm

PeteSilas

OnlyNDaUsa said:

embmmusic said:

I wonder if that cheeky little kid in the show is still around in the Prince community. Is he on this page?

i wonder if that is the same kid mentioned in the 1985 rolling stone interview?

refresh my memory?

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #101 posted 07/11/17 3:36pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

PeteSilas said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

i wonder if that is the same kid mentioned in the 1985 rolling stone interview?

refresh my memory?

it just mentions a kid waving to him like it was no big thing...

Gemini rising on the 7th day... 21,138
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #102 posted 07/11/17 4:12pm

PeteSilas

OnlyNDaUsa said:

PeteSilas said:

refresh my memory?

it just mentions a kid waving to him like it was no big thing...

i'll have to check the interview.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #103 posted 07/11/17 6:17pm

CAL3

SchlomoThaHomo said:

CAL3 said:

.

The sound is "trash"? BEG TO DIFFER


Yea. I thought the vocal sounded kind of muddy from the very first word Prince utters, and it didn't get much better from there. To be fair, I haven't played the original in eons, so maybe it sounds better than that. But I'm used to the sound of my SOTT DVD, and it's not even close to that. Even the SOTT VHS sounds better.

.

Ah yeah, well compared SOTT sure - which of course wasn't a straightahead "live" recording. Overdubbed, re-recorded, sweetened, etc for theatrical exhibition.

.

But compared to the VHS of Syracuse, I was extremely pleased with the relative clarity and definition of the DVD mix!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #104 posted 07/13/17 3:27am

darkroman

CAL3 said:

SchlomoThaHomo said:


Yea. I thought the vocal sounded kind of muddy from the very first word Prince utters, and it didn't get much better from there. To be fair, I haven't played the original in eons, so maybe it sounds better than that. But I'm used to the sound of my SOTT DVD, and it's not even close to that. Even the SOTT VHS sounds better.

.

Ah yeah, well compared SOTT sure - which of course wasn't a straightahead "live" recording. Overdubbed, re-recorded, sweetened, etc for theatrical exhibition.

.

But compared to the VHS of Syracuse, I was extremely pleased with the relative clarity and definition of the DVD mix!



I totally agree with that! SOTT went through a lot of post production work!

The DVD transfer for Syracuse is fantastic and could have gone to blu ray.

Sadly the 'problems' with the 'quality' are due to the creative choices on the night, some poor technical judgement when setting up cameras and the fact this was a live transmission with only a small delay.

In general, the image issues are caused by blue and red gells, hot flood lights and a rediculous amount of smoke. By combining these 'poor' creative choices we have the resulting poor image quality.

That smoke machine is in hyperdrive! This may be good to create shafts of light for the audience watching, but for filming this is a nightmare!

I've been listening a lot to an audio rip of the DVD and it sounds great - bearing in mind this is mixed live on the fly for a stereo broadcast.

Last weekend I watched (for the first time in years) the welll known lazerdisc rip. The rip is technically great but the image is shockingly bad - but bear in mind lazerdiscs are the same technical spec as VHS.

All-in-all this DVD is great and I hope we get more - such as the Parade birthday concert.


lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > *PURPLE RAIN DELUXE* - DISC 4 (SYRACUSE DVD) - Discuss