independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 26th Jun 2017 1:54am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince Estate Don't Even THINK About Releasing New Music ...Producer Loses in Court
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 3 <123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 04/20/17 1:47pm

clairew1975

I'm not sure if it will happen but apparently the single "Deliverance" may end up back on streaming sites as it was uploaded before the judge ruling.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/prince-deliverance-ep-blocked-by-restraining-order-w477868

I have to agree with the Estate's statement though:

"During his unparalleled career, Prince worked with many sound engineers, including Mr. Boxill," the statement said. "Like the other engineers that had the opportunity to work with Prince, Mr. Boxill signed an agreement, under which he agreed (1) all recordings that he worked on with Prince would remain Prince’s sole and exclusive property; (2) he would not use any recordings or property in any way whatsoever; and (3) he would return any such recordings or property to Prince immediately upon request.

"Mr. Boxill did not comply with his agreement," the statement continued. "Instead, Mr. Boxill maintained copies of certain tracks, waited until after Prince’s tragic death, and is now attempting to release tracks without the authorization of the Estate and in violation of the agreement and applicable law."

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 04/20/17 5:59pm

luvsexy4all

did ya eva think this is just "prince" marketing??? look ho much attention this isa getting....

[Edited 4/20/17 18:25pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 04/20/17 6:02pm

luvsexy4all

what a joke ..like it was gonna make money off physical CDs...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 04/20/17 6:25pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

UPDATE: Title Track of Prince’s ‘Deliverance’ EP Back On Sale Despite Court Order

LOS ANGELES - MARCH 19:  Musician Prince performs onstage at the 36th Annual NAACP Image Awards at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion on March 19, 2005 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

Prince performs onstage at the 36th Annual NAACP Image Awards at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion on March 19, 2005 in Los Angeles, California.

*The title track of Prince’s “Deliverance” EP, the lone song made available on iTunes and Apple Music earlier this week from the album’s six planned for release Friday, has once again been made available for sale despite a court order shutting down sales of the entire album. The song, however, remains off of all streaming service.

As previously reported, a United States District Court judge in Minnesota granted a temporary restraining order to the estate of Prince against the planned release of “Deliverance,” which Prince recorded between 2006 and 2008.


The title track became available on iTunes and Apple Music Tuesday night along with a press release promising “new undiscovered Prince recordings” to be released Friday (April 21), the one-year anniversary of the musician’s death.

That same night, Prince’s estate sued George Ian Boxill, the project’s co-producer, claiming Boxill was “unauthorized” to release the music.


“The Estate is taking immediate legal actions to prevent Mr. Boxill’s continuing violations of his agreement and the rights of the Estate and its partners in Prince’s recordings,” the estate said on Wednesday before the ruling. “Any dissemination of the recordings and underlying music compositions, or fixation of the same in any audiovisual work or otherwise, is unauthorized and in violation of the Estate’s rights to the master recordings and musical compositions.”

On Wednesday night, a judge agreed with the estate, writing that Boxill “shall not publish or otherwise disseminate any unreleased recordings that comprise the work of Prince Rogers Nelson that are alleged to be within the scope of the Confidentiality Agreement between Boxill and Paisley Park Enterprises.” The ruling also forced Boxill to immediately deliver all of the recordings to the estate.

David Staley, co-founder of RMA, the Vancouver, Washington record label behind the EP, says that because the title track “Deliverance” was commercially released prior to the temporary restraining order, it is exempt from the ban.

“I was pleased by the ruling last night, which in a nutshell indicated everything that has been released up to the time of the judge’s ruling, late evening April 19th, can be and should be enjoyed by the fans,” Staley tells Rolling Stone. “This includes the ‘Deliverance’ single and all other released works. My team and I are excited for the ‘Deliverance’ single to be available again to Prince’s loyal fans. I, like Ian, feel ‘Deliverance’ is a very timely song and believe it will bring comfort to many in these trying times.”


The restraining order is set to expire on May 3rd, with a hearing planned before then to determine the next course of action.

nothing's forbidden... and nothing's taboo.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 04/21/17 10:09am

Laydown

the_vault_might_never_see_the_light_of_day.To_me_im_not_too_concerned.Anyone_releasing_Prince_music_other_than_Prince_wont_be_the_same_anyway.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 04/21/17 10:27am

feeluupp

THE WHOLE EP IS UP NOW ON TIDAL, AND FOR SALE AS WELL...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 04/21/17 11:10am

laurarichardso
n

feeluupp said:

THE WHOLE EP IS UP NOW ON TIDAL, AND FOR SALE AS WELL...

They are defying a federal judge and are shaky ground. Copyright Infringement is not a joke.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 04/21/17 11:22am

feeluupp

laurarichardson said:

feeluupp said:

THE WHOLE EP IS UP NOW ON TIDAL, AND FOR SALE AS WELL...

They are defying a federal judge and are shaky ground. Copyright Infringement is not a joke.

Another judge ok'ed the release until May something... Im confused... This is confusing... This is PRINCE. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 04/21/17 12:42pm

Ingela

laurarichardson said:

feeluupp said:

THE WHOLE EP IS UP NOW ON TIDAL, AND FOR SALE AS WELL...

They are defying a federal judge and are shaky ground. Copyright Infringement is not a joke.


[Bait snip - luv4u]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 04/21/17 12:59pm

laurarichardso
n

Ingela said:

laurarichardson said:

They are defying a federal judge and are shaky ground. Copyright Infringement is not a joke.


[Bait snip - luv4u]

May sanity is in question because I know the law. Wow you need to go and think about that one.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 04/21/17 1:31pm

Vannormal

avatar

Songs are OK, as expected realy.

Not all that impressive, but it's always nice to hear new Prince material though. smile

-

'Deliverance' is a nice gospel track. But we already have better gospel tracks by Prince.

And, it's ending is strange and too short imho. Lyricaly, typical Prince...

-

'I Am' is a short rocker and kicks off with P's voice pitched up quite a lot. But, the song has a sparse production and seems somehow a bit too slow. Heavily guitar driven, bit of a boring solo, imho.

-

'Touch Me' is nothing new. A two chord balad, that ends too quick with an uninspiring guitar solo, imho.

-

'Sunrise Sunset' is a love balad. Dry production. a bit of a small opera-ish track like '3 chains o gold', but less impressive. Clocks in at 1:13 !! (imho...)

-

'No 1 Else' promises with a good start, but quickly bores. Actually this is 'Sunrise Sunset' part II. (imho?) wink

-

'I AM' extended, 3:50, yep, this is the extended version. Just an extra verse and bridge, fades out ???

-

Nothing special, nothing shocking, nothing new. No new 'sound'. Nothing worth the fuzz.

Peace.

“My body reeks with lust, I will rape you if i must.”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 04/21/17 1:37pm

Ingela

laurarichardson said:

Ingela said:


[Bait snip - luv4u]

May sanity is in question because I know the law. Wow you need to go and think about that one.

You do know that people ar allowed to go to court and challenge laws right?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 04/21/17 2:40pm

laurarichardso
n

Ingela said:



laurarichardson said:




Ingela said:




[Bait snip - luv4u]



May sanity is in question because I know the law. Wow you need to go and think about that one.




You do know that people ar allowed to go to court and challenge laws right?


Yes,but that has not occurred or I see nothing in the media saying the court order was lifted. They are just ignoring it but the will be stopped. Can't believe fans are okay with this guy stealing this material which obviously Prince could not put out because this dude had all this time.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 04/21/17 2:47pm

Ingela

laurarichardson said:

Ingela said:

You do know that people ar allowed to go to court and challenge laws right?

Yes,but that has not occurred or I see nothing in the media saying the court order was lifted. They are just ignoring it but the will be stopped. Can't believe fans are okay with this guy stealing this material which obviously Prince could not put out because this dude had all this time.


Why do you care so much?

Sure it may be stopped. Most likely.

But I could care less. Glad the man put it together and shared it with all of us.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 04/21/17 3:02pm

laurarichardso
n

Ingela said:



laurarichardson said:


Ingela said:



You do know that people ar allowed to go to court and challenge laws right?



Yes,but that has not occurred or I see nothing in the media saying the court order was lifted. They are just ignoring it but the will be stopped. Can't believe fans are okay with this guy stealing this material which obviously Prince could not put out because this dude had all this time.


Why do you care so much?

Sure it may be stopped. Most likely.



But I could care less. Glad the man put it together and shared it with all of us.


Because it wrong to profit off of someone else's work. Sometimes things are just wrong.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 04/21/17 4:53pm

thedance

avatar

^ hey Laura R.,



I wonder why you would rather see all money is going in the pockets of Prince's estate..??

personally, I wanna see as much product from the vaults released as possible, I care zero about this "estate"!

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 04/21/17 5:23pm

kmama07

rogifan said:

And this shocks absolutely no one.

Haha! Exactly! Sure didn't take long,eh?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 04/21/17 5:29pm

kmama07

laurarichardson said:

Ingela said:



laurarichardson said:


Ingela said:



You do know that people ar allowed to go to court and challenge laws right?



Yes,but that has not occurred or I see nothing in the media saying the court order was lifted. They are just ignoring it but the will be stopped. Can't believe fans are okay with this guy stealing this material which obviously Prince could not put out because this dude had all this time.


Why do you care so much?

Sure it may be stopped. Most likely.



But I could care less. Glad the man put it together and shared it with all of us.


Because it wrong to profit off of someone else's work. Sometimes things are just wrong.

I'm torn! I absolutely want to hear everything and was eager to listen to this yesterday (and did). However, I do get Laura's point (and admittedly, we haven't always agreed). Prince specifically spoke to her point many times including during the last interview he did with Arsenio Hall.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 04/21/17 6:38pm

Ingela

laurarichardson said:

Ingela said:


Why do you care so much?

Sure it may be stopped. Most likely.

But I could care less. Glad the man put it together and shared it with all of us.

Because it wrong to profit off of someone else's work. Sometimes things are just wrong.

It's not like the family earned it either. Ian actually did the work and wasn't paid. Let's get real here.

Bu i do get they have the money and rights to stop it. But it's not like they earned isht.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 04/22/17 12:01am

jaypotton

Ingela said:



laurarichardson said:


Ingela said:



You do know that people ar allowed to go to court and challenge laws right?



Yes,but that has not occurred or I see nothing in the media saying the court order was lifted. They are just ignoring it but the will be stopped. Can't believe fans are okay with this guy stealing this material which obviously Prince could not put out because this dude had all this time.


Why do you care so much?

Sure it may be stopped. Most likely.



But I could care less. Glad the man put it together and shared it with all of us.



And yet on another thread you are saying other people should not be finishing off Prince's work? That is EXACTLY what Ian Boxill has done and given himself a co-producer credit for it and trying to earn from it...something he DOES NOT OWN THE COPYRIGHT FOR.

Will repeat what I said again on other threads on is subject...

If Prince were alive he would receive royalties on music he has written and performed. Now that he is dead the recipients of those royalties are his estate.

So...will the estate receive any royalties from the Ian Boxill released Deliverance EP.

The answer is clearly NO so that makes this unofficial and an attempt to cash in.

Now if Ian Boxill had released this for FREE for fans to share then as others have said...that would be very cool of him!

The issue is "show me the money" regardless of anyone's personal opinion about Prince's heirs and the way the estate are handling anything, it is theirs to handle and nobody else's!
[Edited 4/22/17 0:02am]
'I loved him then, I love him now and will love him eternally. He's with our son now.' Mayte 21st April 2016 = the saddest quote I have ever read! RIP Prince and thanks for everything.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 04/22/17 12:12am

jaypotton

mano said:

If Prince's estate would get busy preparing and releasing all the Prince music they have, this kind of stuff wouldn't have such a huge market. People want Prince music! There is tons of it! Release it!



I think our impatience as fans is understandable but we need to give the Estate a break! Prince not leaving a Will has caused all sorts of crap for sorting out. The estate has to be organised and creditors and debtors formally acknowledged. Assets have to be thoroughly catalogued.

Formal mechanisms for control and sharing of proceeds need to be agreed.

And it did look like the estate was ready to start releasing with the 2014 WBR contract (exclusive rights to release all pre 1996 material inc vault) in place and the Feb 2017 Universal contract (exclusive rights to release all material since 1996 inc vault).

The Deliverance tracks would have fallen under the Universal contract.

Edited because of bloody autocorrect ggrrrrr
[Edited 4/22/17 0:20am]
'I loved him then, I love him now and will love him eternally. He's with our son now.' Mayte 21st April 2016 = the saddest quote I have ever read! RIP Prince and thanks for everything.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 04/22/17 12:15am

jaypotton

luvsexy4all said:

what a joke ..like it was gonna make money off physical CDs...



Seriously eek people need to understand that this was tantamount to stealing by Ian Boxill. He does not own the copyright to several Prince songs and does not have the RIGHTS to release them.

Regardless of how much money it would or would not generate for the estate, only the estate has the rights to release Prince's music!

It really is that simple! There is no grey area here.

What Ian Boxill should have done if he genuinely wanted to give a gift to Prince fans was release this for free!
'I loved him then, I love him now and will love him eternally. He's with our son now.' Mayte 21st April 2016 = the saddest quote I have ever read! RIP Prince and thanks for everything.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 04/22/17 12:18am

jaypotton

kmama07 said:

laurarichardson said:


Because it wrong to profit off of someone else's work. Sometimes things are just wrong.

I'm torn! I absolutely want to hear everything and was eager to listen to this yesterday (and did). However, I do get Laura's point (and admittedly, we haven't always agreed). Prince specifically spoke to her point many times including during the last interview he did with Arsenio Hall.


Well it is quite easy to get hold of this for FREE now...just saying!
'I loved him then, I love him now and will love him eternally. He's with our son now.' Mayte 21st April 2016 = the saddest quote I have ever read! RIP Prince and thanks for everything.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 04/22/17 2:12am

thedance

avatar

purplethunder3121 said:

UPDATE: Title Track of Prince’s ‘Deliverance’ EP Back On Sale Despite Court Order

LOS ANGELES - MARCH 19:  Musician Prince performs onstage at the 36th Annual NAACP Image Awards at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion on March 19, 2005 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

Prince performs onstage at the 36th Annual NAACP Image Awards at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion on March 19, 2005 in Los Angeles, California.

*The title track of Prince’s “Deliverance” EP, the lone song made available on iTunes and Apple Music earlier this week from the album’s six planned for release Friday, has once again been made available for sale despite a court order shutting down sales of the entire album. The song, however, remains off of all streaming service.

As previously reported, a United States District Court judge in Minnesota granted a temporary restraining order to the estate of Prince against the planned release of “Deliverance,” which Prince recorded between 2006 and 2008.


The title track became available on iTunes and Apple Music Tuesday night along with a press release promising “new undiscovered Prince recordings” to be released Friday (April 21), the one-year anniversary of the musician’s death.

That same night, Prince’s estate sued George Ian Boxill, the project’s co-producer, claiming Boxill was “unauthorized” to release the music.


“The Estate is taking immediate legal actions to prevent Mr. Boxill’s continuing violations of his agreement and the rights of the Estate and its partners in Prince’s recordings,” the estate said on Wednesday before the ruling. “Any dissemination of the recordings and underlying music compositions, or fixation of the same in any audiovisual work or otherwise, is unauthorized and in violation of the Estate’s rights to the master recordings and musical compositions.”

On Wednesday night, a judge agreed with the estate, writing that Boxill “shall not publish or otherwise disseminate any unreleased recordings that comprise the work of Prince Rogers Nelson that are alleged to be within the scope of the Confidentiality Agreement between Boxill and Paisley Park Enterprises.” The ruling also forced Boxill to immediately deliver all of the recordings to the estate.

David Staley, co-founder of RMA, the Vancouver, Washington record label behind the EP, says that because the title track “Deliverance” was commercially released prior to the temporary restraining order, it is exempt from the ban.

“I was pleased by the ruling last night, which in a nutshell indicated everything that has been released up to the time of the judge’s ruling, late evening April 19th, can be and should be enjoyed by the fans,” Staley tells Rolling Stone. “This includes the ‘Deliverance’ single and all other released works. My team and I are excited for the ‘Deliverance’ single to be available again to Prince’s loyal fans. I, like Ian, feel ‘Deliverance’ is a very timely song and believe it will bring comfort to many in these trying times.”


The restraining order is set to expire on May 3rd, with a hearing planned before then to determine the next course of action.

eek cool cool cool cool cool

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 04/23/17 7:55am

AnnaSantana

Ingela said:

laurarichardson said:

Ingela said: Yes,but that has not occurred or I see nothing in the media saying the court order was lifted. They are just ignoring it but the will be stopped. Can't believe fans are okay with this guy stealing this material which obviously Prince could not put out because this dude had all this time.


Why do you care so much?

Sure it may be stopped. Most likely.

But I could care less. Glad the man put it together and shared it with all of us.

Me too. I got my copy.

Just fun....nothing ethereal.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 04/23/17 8:09am

Ingela

Ingela said:



laurarichardson said:




feeluupp said:


THE WHOLE EP IS UP NOW ON TIDAL, AND FOR SALE AS WELL...



They are defying a federal judge and are shaky ground. Copyright Infringement is not a joke.





[Bait snip - luv4u]


Bait snip Wtf?

What I said, let me repost is you must be questioning your sanity because there is a legal system that allows for people to challenge something. Actually it's insanity it to believe people and a court system doesn't exist for people to challenge.

[Flame snip - luv4u]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 04/23/17 9:16am

luvsexy4all

thedance said:

^ hey Laura R.,



I wonder why you would rather see all money is going in the pockets of Prince's estate..??

personally, I wanna see as much product from the vaults released as possible, I care zero about this "estate"!

but if the estate goes belly up ..what then??? unfortunately they r needed to insure future releases

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 04/24/17 1:36am

TheEnglishGent

avatar

luvsexy4all said:

thedance said:

^ hey Laura R.,



I wonder why you would rather see all money is going in the pockets of Prince's estate..??

personally, I wanna see as much product from the vaults released as possible, I care zero about this "estate"!

but if the estate goes belly up ..what then??? unfortunately they r needed to insure future releases

Then assets would be auctioned and the highest bidder could release stuff.

RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 04/24/17 8:03am

MiceElfAgin

jaypotton said:

What Ian Boxill should have done if he genuinely wanted to give a gift to Prince fans was release this for free!

.
Copyright infringement is copyright infringement regardless of taking any money or not.

.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 04/24/17 11:10am

luvsexy4all

everyone got it free ....so who cares

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 3 <123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince Estate Don't Even THINK About Releasing New Music ...Producer Loses in Court