independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 16th Aug 2017 6:47pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > "Purple Rain" remaster coming in June 2017, including two albums of unreleased material and two concert films
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 3 <123
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 04/20/17 3:30am

jazzz

TrivialPursuit said:



Astasheiks said:


Wow, 2 Albums of Unreleased Material!




Bart is right this time. Previously Unreleased can mean many things. If it said "previous unheard outside Paisley Park", I'd be even more interested. People huffed and puffed about 4Ever, with the edits, or different this or that - a lot of those edits and versions were never on CD before. Ergo "previously unreleased" in this format or medium. It's a trick, but once folks kind of look at things without a filter and with an understanding of how record companies manipulate advertising and press releases, true expectations can be brought up.

And we can almost assume that the 12" versions of "Let's Go Crazy", "Erotic City", "I Would Die 4 U", "Another Lonely Christmas", "17 Days" will be on there. They've not necessarily been released on CD format before. The 7" versions have on The Hits/The B-Sides and Ultimate and The Very Best Of and 4Ever. So - all that aside, there is still room, if they fill up the CD, for other stuff to include for the fans. This was in the works in 2014 in the WB deal (where he got his masters back, and WB distributed AOA & PE, and PR deluxe was due to be released too). So, whether WB has enhanced that deal we'll find out.

But if anyone thinks it's going to be 160 minutes of 30 some odd never-before-released-ever-in-the-history-of-the-world-songs, they're going to be gravely disappointed.




Remember the 5 inch cd singles from the late 80s? These contained the long versions of LGC, EC and IWD4U....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 04/20/17 5:05am

darkroman

I think it's fair to say that the purpose of these sort of editions is to bring together common material such as edits and extended versions.

.

On another note, I'd rather the DVDs were left for a DVD project and instead just have audio CDs.

.

It's unrealistic to dream of a 5-disc edition of unreleased tracks, but I'd rather have the Purple Rain era in it's purity and then have a follow-up project that dealt with ancillary material.

.

lol lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 04/20/17 5:33am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

jazzz said:

TrivialPursuit said:


Bart is right this time. Previously Unreleased can mean many things. If it said "previous unheard outside Paisley Park", I'd be even more interested. People huffed and puffed about 4Ever, with the edits, or different this or that - a lot of those edits and versions were never on CD before. Ergo "previously unreleased" in this format or medium. It's a trick, but once folks kind of look at things without a filter and with an understanding of how record companies manipulate advertising and press releases, true expectations can be brought up.

And we can almost assume that the 12" versions of "Let's Go Crazy", "Erotic City", "I Would Die 4 U", "Another Lonely Christmas", "17 Days" will be on there. They've not necessarily been released on CD format before. The 7" versions have on The Hits/The B-Sides and Ultimate and The Very Best Of and 4Ever. So - all that aside, there is still room, if they fill up the CD, for other stuff to include for the fans. This was in the works in 2014 in the WB deal (where he got his masters back, and WB distributed AOA & PE, and PR deluxe was due to be released too). So, whether WB has enhanced that deal we'll find out.

But if anyone thinks it's going to be 160 minutes of 30 some odd never-before-released-ever-in-the-history-of-the-world-songs, they're going to be gravely disappointed.

Remember the 5 inch cd singles from the late 80s? These contained the long versions of LGC, EC and IWD4U....

yeah I think the only 2 to have never been on offical CD are GOD (inst) and ALC (full)

With Love, Honor & Respect for all of you...no matter how I argue or disagree my heart is full of love for you all...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 04/20/17 5:36am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

also remember when they say remastered they likely mean a digital system to clean it up a little and make it a little louder on LOW levels but what they call brickwalled at higher levels... which sounds weird but that is the only way I can describe it...

With Love, Honor & Respect for all of you...no matter how I argue or disagree my heart is full of love for you all...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 04/20/17 7:38am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

leadline said:

We Can Fuck and Wonderful Ass? I mean how do the only two songs with swears in the title wind up on this as the first music most will hear from Prince's vault? It's cause Warner knows his stance on swearing and is flipping him the bird. Their animosity lives on even after he is gone.

.

Are you going to post this juvenile nonsense in every thread?

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 04/20/17 8:31am

embmmusic

One official release missing if you wanted to be REALLY pedantic is Purple Rain (Long Version) from the 12" single - it has an earlier fade out than the album version. It's something I would have included, but I can understand why it isn't.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 04/20/17 9:33am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

embmmusic said:

One official release missing if you wanted to be REALLY pedantic is Purple Rain (Long Version) from the 12" single - it has an earlier fade out than the album version. It's something I would have included, but I can understand why it isn't.

there are 5 or 6 versions of the song that were in some way officially released (not including live versions).

With Love, Honor & Respect for all of you...no matter how I argue or disagree my heart is full of love for you all...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 04/20/17 3:22pm

jdcxc

Who cares about the single edits?

Why waste disc space on these when there is so much more material?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 04/20/17 3:27pm

Ramzoo

avatar

jdcxc said:

Who cares about the single edits? Why waste disc space on these when there is so much more material?

I do....All official release on CD is welcome...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 04/20/17 3:59pm

bluegangsta

avatar

Ramzoo said:

jdcxc said:

Who cares about the single edits? Why waste disc space on these when there is so much more material?

I do....All official release on CD is welcome...

You care about the album version of When Doves Cry that fades out before the best part of the song? Cool. Buy 4ever. Or Ultimate. Or The Very Best of Prince.

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 04/21/17 3:09pm

214

OnlyNDaUsa said:

embmmusic said:

One official release missing if you wanted to be REALLY pedantic is Purple Rain (Long Version) from the 12" single - it has an earlier fade out than the album version. It's something I would have included, but I can understand why it isn't.

there are 5 or 6 versions of the song that were in some way officially released (not including live versions).

Would you mind mention all of them please, i'm not well aware of them.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 04/21/17 3:20pm

ForceofNature

jdcxc said:

Who cares about the single edits? Why waste disc space on these when there is so much more material?

They do have historical significance, these single edits are part of the history of what garnered much radioplay backin the day

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 04/21/17 3:36pm

leadline

RE:CD2

Warner and I have a very different definition of unreleased.

Ah well, very much looking forward to CD3

"You always get the dream that you deserve, from what you value the most" -Prince 2013
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 04/21/17 5:16pm

TrivialPursuit

leadline said:

RE:CD2

Warner and I have a very different definition of unreleased.

Ah well, very much looking forward to CD3


Let's be clear (it was in another thread or somewhere), they are really "unreleased on CD", which is different than "unreleased in the history of the world" type thing. People were miffed about that sorta thing on 4ever, but technically a lot of those edits were never put out on CD, even if they were put out on vinyl before.

It's shitty wordplay by record companies, so it always pays to read those stickers and press releases closely. I don't see the need for all those edits to be released, but hey - can't change it. I'm only disappointed in that "Wednesday" isn't on there. But "Father's Song", both "God" versions, and the longer "Erotic City" etc are good. If this is remastered and beefed up a bit, then even better.

But yeah, "released on this format" vs "released ever" is an easy thing to inadvertently glaze over.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 04/21/17 6:25pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

214 said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

there are 5 or 6 versions of the song that were in some way officially released (not including live versions).

Would you mind mention all of them please, i'm not well aware of them.

Looks like it is 6 here is a link with each one.. some are promos!

http://princevault.com/in...urple_Rain

With Love, Honor & Respect for all of you...no matter how I argue or disagree my heart is full of love for you all...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 3 <123
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > "Purple Rain" remaster coming in June 2017, including two albums of unreleased material and two concert films