independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 20th Oct 2017 2:44pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > How Paisley Park's Archives Director is Telling Prince's Story
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 04/05/17 1:10pm

rogifan

avatar

How Paisley Park's Archives Director is Telling Prince's Story

This is the person who should have been on TV promoting PP and the Celebration event:

http://mspmag.com/arts-an...Lk.twitter
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 04/05/17 1:24pm

PurpleDiamonds
1

Not sure why she was not on tv..the article even mentioned the books that are coming out.
The media has an agenda and the truth and all the positive influences Prince has had is not what they want to tell. The media is all about bringing him down.
I would like to see these stories of the real Prince everywhere!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 04/05/17 1:29pm

rogifan

avatar

PurpleDiamonds1 said:

Not sure why she was not on tv..the article even mentioned the books that are coming out.
The media has an agenda and the truth and all the positive influences Prince has had is not what they want to tell. The media is all about bringing him down.
I would like to see these stories of the real Prince everywhere!

This interview also shows that they are taking proper care of his artifacts and properly cataloging them. This is why the estate hired someone like Graceland; they have experience in this and know what they're doing. Amazing that they've got 7,000 items of clothing to catalogue. The guy seriously must have kept everything. eek
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 04/05/17 1:33pm

laurarichardso
n

rogifan said:

This is the person who should have been on TV promoting PP and the Celebration event:

http://mspmag.com/arts-an...Lk.twitter

-- Thanks for posting this. I love that he sent directions out to his friends so his wishes are being carried out. I hate how the media ignores how focused his was and wants to paint this picture of him that does not fit the actions in his last months. He was working and getting things done and none in the media wants to acknowledge.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 04/05/17 1:38pm

ufoclub

avatar

I hope all of this gets organized and displayed! I wonder if they thought about adding to the grounds with permanent contruction for all this wardrobe and stuff.

Of course it all costs $$$$$

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 04/05/17 1:45pm

TheFreakerFant
astic

avatar

Sounds Reassuring!

[Edited 4/5/17 13:46pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 04/05/17 1:55pm

nelcp777

Sounds like it would be a pretty cool job.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 04/05/17 3:02pm

muleFunk

avatar

Yes there is an agenda present.

I am glad some are seeing this being played out.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 04/05/17 5:07pm

TrivialPursuit

I'm really glad this was put out there. There's been so much debate & craptastic theory about what they're doing at Paisley Park, as if a random fan has a better idea than people who have been doing it for 30 years (Graceland). The fact that we really know they're cataloging items, making a history of it, putting it in a database, and have plans for more should put a lot of fans and their "they should..." unsolicited advice in the STFU zone.

I really enjoyed the article. And like muleFunk said, they clearly have an agenda in everything they are trying to accomplish.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 04/05/17 6:51pm

luvsexy4all

but what about the music?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 04/05/17 9:27pm

rap

TrivialPursuit said:

I'm really glad this was put out there. There's been so much debate & craptastic theory about what they're doing at Paisley Park, as if a random fan has a better idea than people who have been doing it for 30 years (Graceland). The fact that we really know they're cataloging items, making a history of it, putting it in a database, and have plans for more should put a lot of fans and their "they should..." unsolicited advice in the STFU zone.

I really enjoyed the article. And like muleFunk said, they clearly have an agenda in everything they are trying to accomplish.

well said

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 04/05/17 9:28pm

rap

TrivialPursuit said:

I'm really glad this was put out there. There's been so much debate & craptastic theory about what they're doing at Paisley Park, as if a random fan has a better idea than people who have been doing it for 30 years (Graceland). The fact that we really know they're cataloging items, making a history of it, putting it in a database, and have plans for more should put a lot of fans and their "they should..." unsolicited advice in the STFU zone.

I really enjoyed the article. And like muleFunk said, they clearly have an agenda in everything they are trying to accomplish.

well said

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 04/06/17 12:07am

Boydie

Wow - you can really feel how much they care about what they are doing

What I would give for some time with those 121 guitars!!!!!

The new books for April sound interesting - especially the ones on his instruments and fashion
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 04/06/17 1:31am

laurarichardso
n

TrivialPursuit said:

I'm really glad this was put out there. There's been so much debate & craptastic theory about what they're doing at Paisley Park, as if a random fan has a better idea than people who have been doing it for 30 years (Graceland). The fact that we really know they're cataloging items, making a history of it, putting it in a database, and have plans for more should put a lot of fans and their "they should..." unsolicited advice in the STFU zone.

I really enjoyed the article. And like muleFunk said, they clearly have an agenda in everything they are trying to accomplish.


--I thought bringing the Grsceland people was a good idea from the start. If they also put the studio to use like the Stax Musesum does a learning place for young that would be even better. 😊
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 04/06/17 4:20am

MrNelson7

The Egg would be the perfect place for a wardrobe display. There are so many things you could do. Displays by album, decade, tour, events, etc. I would love to see one quintessential outfit from every year lined up so we can see the evolution.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 04/06/17 9:12am

SomeSoldier

It makes for a nice change to read about something related to Prince being handled professionally. Now, let's hope the music is as well...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 04/06/17 9:45am

Ingela

Great article. Sounds like it's all in good hands. I had early reservations, but all have dissolved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 04/06/17 10:02am

Se7en

avatar

My takeaway from this article is that Prince himself knew the value of saving things. He had always envisioned Paisley Park as a museum, it's too bad he didn't get to see it realized.

I also love the idea of a "traveling" Paisley Park display at various museums, etc.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 04/06/17 10:03am

purplepoppy

Good Stuff as usual, thank you. Am awed by the size of his clothing collection. Every ensemble he wore on the Purple Rain and Lovesexy tours, wow. They can run special shows like that and keep people coming back. I haven't really thought about going to Paisley Park much but this is inspiring. Knowing he really did want us to "come visit".

chair rose

Brand new boogie without the hero.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 04/06/17 10:10am

nelcp777

I also thought it was interesting on how Prince's office was kept and that the work Prince was doing on the PR release was there.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 04/06/17 10:12am

Genesia

avatar

MrNelson7 said:

The Egg would be the perfect place for a wardrobe display. There are so many things you could do. Displays by album, decade, tour, events, etc. I would love to see one quintessential outfit from every year lined up so we can see the evolution.


It would be cool - but it may not be feasible. You need a controlled environment for archiving and displaying textiles. All the windows would have to be covered (to prevent light damage) and the building would need to be absolutely tight in terms of temperature and humidity control. It may be prohibitively expensive to bring the Egg up to that standard..

I mean if he did have sex he would break every rule Jehova's have regarding premarital sex so Prince is really just friends with them all anyway.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 04/06/17 11:30am

TrivialPursuit

Genesia said:

It would be cool - but it may not be feasible. You need a controlled environment for archiving and displaying textiles. All the windows would have to be covered (to prevent light damage) and the building would need to be absolutely tight in terms of temperature and humidity control. It may be prohibitively expensive to bring the Egg up to that standard..


I'd agree. There are too many variables with a smaller stand-alone building like that. And in reality, it could be the visit check-in center. The tunnel (if there is one), or an enclosed breezeway would lead to an entrance at Paisley. However, you're not entering the front of the building, a whole new experience could be had by repurposing the floor plan of both. You could also build more parking on that west side to accommodate tour visitors, and keep Paisley's regular parking for business purposes. If the Egg is all one level with high ceilings, there's a lot of opportunity to project things on the ceiling, hang stuff up that might not be as light sensitive but still needs care (props from movies, etc).

All that won't happen, but I would hope that at some point down the line, they use it for something. Even just a gift shop would be ideal. They'd still have to bring it up to code, but there are a lot of things being changed anyway.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 04/06/17 12:11pm

paulludvig

TrivialPursuit said:

Genesia said:

It would be cool - but it may not be feasible. You need a controlled environment for archiving and displaying textiles. All the windows would have to be covered (to prevent light damage) and the building would need to be absolutely tight in terms of temperature and humidity control. It may be prohibitively expensive to bring the Egg up to that standard..


I'd agree. There are too many variables with a smaller stand-alone building like that. And in reality, it could be the visit check-in center. The tunnel (if there is one), or an enclosed breezeway would lead to an entrance at Paisley. However, you're not entering the front of the building, a whole new experience could be had by repurposing the floor plan of both. You could also build more parking on that west side to accommodate tour visitors, and keep Paisley's regular parking for business purposes. If the Egg is all one level with high ceilings, there's a lot of opportunity to project things on the ceiling, hang stuff up that might not be as light sensitive but still needs care (props from movies, etc).

All that won't happen, but I would hope that at some point down the line, they use it for something. Even just a gift shop would be ideal. They'd still have to bring it up to code, but there are a lot of things being changed anyway.

Wasn't the original idea to use The Egg as a restaurant?

The wooh is on the one!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 04/06/17 1:17pm

MrNelson7

Genesia said:

MrNelson7 said:

The Egg would be the perfect place for a wardrobe display. There are so many things you could do. Displays by album, decade, tour, events, etc. I would love to see one quintessential outfit from every year lined up so we can see the evolution.


It would be cool - but it may not be feasible. You need a controlled environment for archiving and displaying textiles. All the windows would have to be covered (to prevent light damage) and the building would need to be absolutely tight in terms of temperature and humidity control. It may be prohibitively expensive to bring the Egg up to that standard..

I understand what you're saying, but textiles are currently on display throughout Paisley and it is definitely not temperature and humidity controlled. Light clearly isn't an issue in the main facility, but everything else is. As for how and where they are storing the archives, who knows?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 04/06/17 1:26pm

Genesia

avatar

MrNelson7 said:

Genesia said:


It would be cool - but it may not be feasible. You need a controlled environment for archiving and displaying textiles. All the windows would have to be covered (to prevent light damage) and the building would need to be absolutely tight in terms of temperature and humidity control. It may be prohibitively expensive to bring the Egg up to that standard..

I understand what you're saying, but textiles are currently on display throughout Paisley and it is definitely not temperature and humidity controlled. Light clearly isn't an issue in the main facility, but everything else is. As for how and where they are storing the archives, who knows?


Of course, it is! It has a thermostat, right? That's temperature control, right there. And I would bet money that, with all the equipment and everything else in that building, they do have climate control of some kind.

My point, however, is that The Egg has none of that.

I mean if he did have sex he would break every rule Jehova's have regarding premarital sex so Prince is really just friends with them all anyway.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 04/06/17 1:29pm

TrivialPursuit

paulludvig said:

Wasn't the original idea to use The Egg as a restaurant?


That's what I always heard.

"Despite everything, no 1 can dictate who u r 2 other people." - Prince |
http://bit.ly/unboxingprince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 04/06/17 2:15pm

purplepoppy

MrNelson7 said:

Genesia said:


It would be cool - but it may not be feasible. You need a controlled environment for archiving and displaying textiles. All the windows would have to be covered (to prevent light damage) and the building would need to be absolutely tight in terms of temperature and humidity control. It may be prohibitively expensive to bring the Egg up to that standard..

I understand what you're saying, but textiles are currently on display throughout Paisley and it is definitely not temperature and humidity controlled. Light clearly isn't an issue in the main facility, but everything else is. As for how and where they are storing the archives, who knows?

It says right in the OP article how they are archiving the clothing.

Brand new boogie without the hero.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 04/06/17 2:39pm

Se7en

avatar

From the article, it sounded like they did NOT want to display everything all at once, but instead cycle stuff in/out (which, from a "longevity" issue, might help everything last longer).

To me, it's sad that the day will come when people will have to "learn" about Prince -- instead of all of us who are still living NOW and to us everything is still fresh.


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 04/06/17 2:49pm

cbarnes3121

MrNelson7 said:

The Egg would be the perfect place for a wardrobe display. There are so many things you could do. Displays by album, decade, tour, events, etc. I would love to see one quintessential outfit from every year lined up so we can see the evolution.

i think the egg would be a good place for the restarunt / place to buy prince items from.i think a better idea than the tent outside

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 04/06/17 2:58pm

RodeoSchro

avatar

God Bless whoever hired this exceptional lady!

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's paladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > How Paisley Park's Archives Director is Telling Prince's Story