independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 15th Dec 2017 3:19pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Associated artists & people > Afshin Shahidi. Book THREAD disscussion
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #120 posted 11/28/17 3:33pm

FlyOnTheWall

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #121 posted 11/28/17 7:05pm

Mumio

avatar

Thanks for the vid Fly. Afshin Shahidi seems like a very personable man.

Welcome to "the org", Mumio…they can have you, but I'll have your love in the end nod
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #122 posted 12/01/17 11:20am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Yara Shahidi

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #123 posted 12/07/17 10:38am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

5.6.2006

3121 Purple Ticket Party in West Hollywood

1. 3121

2. Lolita

3. Satisfied

4. Black Swet

5. Kiss

6. Joy In Repetition

7. Kiss

8. Don't Stop Till You Get Enough(MJ cover)

9. What Have You Done For Me Lately (Janet cover)

10. Partyman

11. Play That Funk Music...(Wild Cherry cover)

12. Love Rollercoaster (Ohio Players cover)

13. It's Alright (Curtis Mayfield cover)

14. I Want to Take You Higher (Sly & the Family Stone)

15. Purple Rain

16. Let's Go Crazy

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #124 posted 12/10/17 4:14am

anangellooksdo
wn

FlyOnTheWall said:



rogifan said:


purplerabbithole said:

I have mixed feelings about the book. I am glad I bought it. They are great pictures. But the book is small (size wise) and the photos being leaked on line (where they can be enlarged etc) didn't help matters.



Plus, I wasn't crazy about the dream sequences which were longer and more 'intimate' than the actual accounts of P. I sense that it was more of a very respectful working relationship with some nice moments than a "friendship" per see. The stories felt vague at times. I liked the Rembrandt, and seat belt stories. I respect that he was willing to sit through P's preaching and still maintain his own beliefs (seems P understood that as well) . But he referenced P's goofy side but told very few stories that indicate his sense of humor.. I wanted more text and a bigger book. I am glad I bought the book and I thank Afshin. But I wish there was a bit more. The vagueness made me think there wasn't much there in terms of real closeness. Either that or he was holding back a bit. Also, in a way, the book made me sad. Prince just seemed extremely lonely at times. The party pictures were cool but like Chris Rock pointed out when he saw P in St. Bart's--the dude seemed like he was still working to some extent. 3121 promotion while schmoozing. I am sure it was fun, but couldn't he just put the music aside and have a party?





[Edited 10/30/17 20:36pm]


[Edited 10/30/17 21:57pm]



I agree that the text left me wanting more and I didn’t much care for the dream sequences. My guess is the vagueness is because they were so close and he’s respecting the private relationship they had. When Afshin did that short interview with Good Morning America he got emotional and had to wipe away tears.

The dream sequence initially left me confused. I think it would have been better if he had offered some explanation in the Introduction or a special note letting us know what to expect. Really, I think, for the dreams to be fully integrated into the flow of the book, the word "dream" would need to be somewhere in the title or subtitle. That was, in my estimation, an editorial oversight by St. Martin's Press. Having said all that, I still think "Prince: A Private View" is nothing short of a masterpiece.


[Edited 10/31/17 16:47pm]



I wouldn’t call this book a “masterpiece”. I don’t use words like that lightly and reserve them for when it’s really in order to use them.
The photos are close to that but the dreams themselves and the reason they were included is not always clear.
I also would have liked to have seen dates and locations for more of or all of the photos.

However, it was truly a wonderful and appreciated gift to have these photographs shared with me, and I appreciate that very much. Getting to see these photos was a highlight of 2017 for me.
~Paisley Park is in your heart~
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #125 posted 12/10/17 4:19am

anangellooksdo
wn

lion88 said:



Strawberrylova123 said:


rogifan said:
I saw it’s getting mostly 5 star reviews on Amazon. I don’t have mine yet. If you have Steve Parke’s book how would you compare/contrast the two?

I personally liked Afshins book more than Steve's because the pictures are more intimate.


I absolutely agree with your opinion Strawberrylova123. I also like Afshins' book a lot more. And I do like the book of Steve. Afshin captured Prince during intimate moments, also when he did not expect that he was photographed. It results in a much more personal set of photo's. It is more event driven instead of staged. For me it gives a more accurate image of the person and musician Prince that I remember over the last decades than the pictures in the book of Steve Parke.

[Edited 11/3/17 10:51am]



I don’t think Prince would want us comparing the two. They were both beautiful gifts by these 2 photographers.
~Paisley Park is in your heart~
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #126 posted 12/10/17 4:21am

anangellooksdo
wn

laurarichardson said:

FlyOnTheWall said:

Keri Shahidi, the wife of Afshin Shahidi, made this exciting announcement on Facebook today:


TOASTING TO Afshin because he is on the NEW YORK TIMES BEST SELLER LIST!!!!! Thank you to EVERYONE who has supported and purchased his beautiful book. #Prince:APrivateView 1f49c.png💜1f49c.png💜1f49c.png💜1f49c.png💜1f4a5.png💥1f4a5.png💥


Hardcover Nonfiction



[Edited 11/3/17 16:16pm]


This just shows the growing interest in him.


Yes but this shouldn’t be about him or his family. This should be just a gift of love which is about Prince, and about the fans.
~Paisley Park is in your heart~
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #127 posted 12/10/17 5:50am

FlyOnTheWall

anangellooksdown said:

laurarichardson said:
This just shows the growing interest in him.
Yes but this shouldn’t be about him or his family. This should be just a gift of love which is about Prince, and about the fans.

He is the author. He is also the photographer of the wonderful photos of Prince. His family members knew and loved Prince. As such, he and his family have the right to celebrate in any way they see fit.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #128 posted 12/10/17 6:00am

FlyOnTheWall

anangellooksdown said:

FlyOnTheWall said:

The dream sequence initially left me confused. I think it would have been better if he had offered some explanation in the Introduction or a special note letting us know what to expect. Really, I think, for the dreams to be fully integrated into the flow of the book, the word "dream" would need to be somewhere in the title or subtitle. That was, in my estimation, an editorial oversight by St. Martin's Press. Having said all that, I still think "Prince: A Private View" is nothing short of a masterpiece.

[Edited 10/31/17 16:47pm]

I wouldn’t call this book a “masterpiece”. I don’t use words like that lightly and reserve them for when it’s really in order to use them. The photos are close to that but the dreams themselves and the reason they were included is not always clear. I also would have liked to have seen dates and locations for more of or all of the photos. However, it was truly a wonderful and appreciated gift to have these photographs shared with me, and I appreciate that very much. Getting to see these photos was a highlight of 2017 for me.

That's your contrarian opinion, to which you are entitled; however, if you take a moment to peruse the Amazon reviews, you will see that I am not alone in my assessment. Some people need to learn to give credit where it is due. Also, I need to look through my copy again, but I believe that most of the photos do include dates and locations. There is even a Photo Log at the end of the book that lists the photos by date and location.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #129 posted 12/11/17 7:18am

anangellooksdo
wn

FlyOnTheWall said:



anangellooksdown said:


FlyOnTheWall said:


The dream sequence initially left me confused. I think it would have been better if he had offered some explanation in the Introduction or a special note letting us know what to expect. Really, I think, for the dreams to be fully integrated into the flow of the book, the word "dream" would need to be somewhere in the title or subtitle. That was, in my estimation, an editorial oversight by St. Martin's Press. Having said all that, I still think "Prince: A Private View" is nothing short of a masterpiece.



[Edited 10/31/17 16:47pm]



I wouldn’t call this book a “masterpiece”. I don’t use words like that lightly and reserve them for when it’s really in order to use them. The photos are close to that but the dreams themselves and the reason they were included is not always clear. I also would have liked to have seen dates and locations for more of or all of the photos. However, it was truly a wonderful and appreciated gift to have these photographs shared with me, and I appreciate that very much. Getting to see these photos was a highlight of 2017 for me.

That's your contrarian opinion, to which you are entitled; however, if you take a moment to peruse the Amazon reviews, you will see that I am not alone in my assessment. Some people need to learn to give credit where it is due. Also, I need to look through my copy again, but I believe that most of the photos do include dates and locations. There is even a Photo Log at the end of the book that lists the photos by date and location.




Thank you for pointing me to the photo log with locations and dates. I hadn't seen that. Very good!
Now to respond to your other comment, I don't go by what others' reviews or opinions are about books or anything else in life. I make my own assessment. Off-topic and just in general: I am also that way with people. I don't see a person how others see them; I see them how I see them.
~Paisley Park is in your heart~
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #130 posted 12/11/17 9:18am

FlyOnTheWall

anangellooksdown said:

FlyOnTheWall said:

That's your contrarian opinion, to which you are entitled; however, if you take a moment to peruse the Amazon reviews, you will see that I am not alone in my assessment. Some people need to learn to give credit where it is due. Also, I need to look through my copy again, but I believe that most of the photos do include dates and locations. There is even a Photo Log at the end of the book that lists the photos by date and location.

Thank you for pointing me to the photo log with locations and dates. I hadn't seen that. Very good! Now to respond to your other comment, I don't go by what others' reviews or opinions are about books or anything else in life. I make my own assessment. Off-topic and just in general: I am also that way with people. I don't see a person how others see them; I see them how I see them.

That's great. But, rather than countering my own personal assessment with your direct contrarian response, you could have just left a stand-alone comment. That would be a lot less stalker-ish.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #131 posted 12/11/17 9:37am

anangellooksdo
wn

FlyOnTheWall said:



anangellooksdown said:


FlyOnTheWall said:


That's your contrarian opinion, to which you are entitled; however, if you take a moment to peruse the Amazon reviews, you will see that I am not alone in my assessment. Some people need to learn to give credit where it is due. Also, I need to look through my copy again, but I believe that most of the photos do include dates and locations. There is even a Photo Log at the end of the book that lists the photos by date and location.



Thank you for pointing me to the photo log with locations and dates. I hadn't seen that. Very good! Now to respond to your other comment, I don't go by what others' reviews or opinions are about books or anything else in life. I make my own assessment. Off-topic and just in general: I am also that way with people. I don't see a person how others see them; I see them how I see them.

That's great. But, rather than countering my own personal assessment with your direct contrarian response, you could have just left a stand-alone comment. That would be a lot less stalker-ish.



"Stalkerish" -- because everything's about you?
~Paisley Park is in your heart~
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #132 posted 12/11/17 10:32am

FlyOnTheWall

anangellooksdown said:

FlyOnTheWall said:

That's great. But, rather than countering my own personal assessment with your direct contrarian response, you could have just left a stand-alone comment. That would be a lot less stalker-ish.

"Stalkerish" -- because everything's about you?

It is what it is. cop

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #133 posted 12/15/17 11:39am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #134 posted 12/15/17 11:43am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #135 posted 12/15/17 11:51am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Afshin Shahidi and Prince

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the matter with your world
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Associated artists & people > Afshin Shahidi. Book THREAD disscussion