independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 18th Nov 2017 9:15pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Associated artists & people > Morris Hayes’ Amazing 20-Year Journey With Prince
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 08/07/17 5:16pm

laurarichardso
n

Only on the middle part of part 2 but listen to what he had to say about what Prince said about Clive and they rest of those butts in the industry really got me. The part about him maybe winding up in a pool for saying it😥. It is going to take a while for me to listen to all of this.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 08/08/17 2:24am

Vashtix

laurarichardson said:

Only on the middle part of part 2 but listen to what he had to say about what Prince said about Clive and they rest of those butts in the industry really got me. The part about him maybe winding up in a pool for saying it😥. It is going to take a while for me to listen to all of this.

nod The stuff he said about that is chilling at this time.

.

I enjoyed that Morris never tried to say he was the one who created over Prince's genius. I never felt he wanted created for what Prince incorporated in music from his influence be it lyrics, or beats etc.

He understood/understands who the genius was.

.

I took so much from what he said about Prince. He respected Prince not to discuss Prince and the wimmen. He kept it about Prince the man, the Mozart, the music.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 08/08/17 10:47am

anangellooksdo
wn

Wrong thread
[Edited 8/8/17 10:48am]
~Paisley Park is in your heart~
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 09/04/17 6:03am

PURPLEIZED3121

really felt his hurt with Prince's paranoia re being recorded in the car. A real shame that P would pull that comment on MH.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 09/04/17 11:16am

Lovejunky

avatar

PURPLEIZED3121 said:

really felt his hurt with Prince's paranoia re being recorded in the car. A real shame that P would pull that comment on MH.

I dont think P meant to hurt, i think that mistrust had become reflexsive..

Most people wanted a Piece of him, he would have been constantly on Guard...

I agree...must have Hurt Morris a lot after so many years of association.

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 09/04/17 11:32am

purplerabbitho
le

paranoia is a mental illness in my opinion, it goes beyond weariness or being on guard.. I hope MOrris was able to eventually see that the issue lied with Prince , not himself.

Paranoia may have been what ultimately killed Prince (being unable to trust the very people who would have willingly helped you.)

I think had Prince survived his addiction and been forced to seek treatment, his paranoia would have inevitably been treated as well. Maybe, he could have been able to find the balance between reasonable weariness and self protection and unhealthy paranoia and fear.

Sad really.

Lovejunky said:

PURPLEIZED3121 said:

really felt his hurt with Prince's paranoia re being recorded in the car. A real shame that P would pull that comment on MH.

I dont think P meant to hurt, i think that mistrust had become reflexsive..

Most people wanted a Piece of him, he would have been constantly on Guard...

I agree...must have Hurt Morris a lot after so many years of association.

[Edited 9/4/17 11:34am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 09/08/17 4:57am

laurarichardso
n

PURPLEIZED3121 said:

really felt his hurt with Prince's paranoia re being recorded in the car. A real shame that P would pull that comment on MH.

Sorry some reporter used a recording of a Prince inteview from the Dirty Mind period and had it pressed into a record and you could buy it in the stores. Prince himself said people stole stuff from him and we have seen numerous riding the purple gravey train since he died. Unfortunatly, he trusted people too much so he was not paranoid enough.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 09/08/17 4:59am

laurarichardso
n

He was going to a rehab the next day so he was going to get treatment. Once again he had a 65k line item on his inventory sheet for medical expenses so I think we need to stop assuming he never had medical treatement because he some treatment for something.

People stole from him and people are using him now beyond the grave. He was paranoid because he was too trusting and people took advantage.

purplerabbithole said:

paranoia is a mental illness in my opinion, it goes beyond weariness or being on guard.. I hope MOrris was able to eventually see that the issue lied with Prince , not himself.

Paranoia may have been what ultimately killed Prince (being unable to trust the very people who would have willingly helped you.)

I think had Prince survived his addiction and been forced to seek treatment, his paranoia would have inevitably been treated as well. Maybe, he could have been able to find the balance between reasonable weariness and self protection and unhealthy paranoia and fear.

Sad really.

Lovejunky said:

I dont think P meant to hurt, i think that mistrust had become reflexsive..

Most people wanted a Piece of him, he would have been constantly on Guard...

I agree...must have Hurt Morris a lot after so many years of association.

[Edited 9/4/17 11:34am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 09/08/17 10:43am

ISaidLifeIsJus
tAGame

avatar

Just to clarify we dont know if P knew his associates called the doctor in California or whether P agreed to pain management treatment.

Also, it wasnt rehab per se because this clinic is not in-patient treatment.

And to you purplerabbithole.....no one ever said paranoia is what ultimately killed P, and that he would have been treated for paranoia as well. Did you pull that one out of your hat?

laurarichardson said:

He was going to a rehab the next day so he was going to get treatment. Once again he had a 65k line item on his inventory sheet for medical expenses so I think we need to stop assuming he never had medical treatement because he some treatment for something.

People stole from him and people are using him now beyond the grave. He was paranoid because he was too trusting and people took advantage.

purplerabbithole said:

paranoia is a mental illness in my opinion, it goes beyond weariness or being on guard.. I hope MOrris was able to eventually see that the issue lied with Prince , not himself.

Paranoia may have been what ultimately killed Prince (being unable to trust the very people who would have willingly helped you.)

I think had Prince survived his addiction and been forced to seek treatment, his paranoia would have inevitably been treated as well. Maybe, he could have been able to find the balance between reasonable weariness and self protection and unhealthy paranoia and fear.

Sad really.

[Edited 9/4/17 11:34am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 09/08/17 10:54am

laurarichardso
n

But we know that Dr. K son came to the PP to talk to Prince. We also know that clinic handles alternatives to joint pain treatment and that Dr. S said he was treating Prince for joint issues.

Dr. S has no background in addiction management and now works at a clinic that works with senior patients and joint issues.

So Prince was getting medical treatment.

ISaidLifeIsJustAGame said:

Just to clarify we dont know if P knew his associates called the doctor in California or whether P agreed to pain management treatment.

Also, it wasnt rehab per se because this clinic is not in-patient treatment.

And to you purplerabbithole.....no one ever said paranoia is what ultimately killed P, and that he would have been treated for paranoia as well. Did you pull that one out of your hat?

laurarichardson said:

He was going to a rehab the next day so he was going to get treatment. Once again he had a 65k line item on his inventory sheet for medical expenses so I think we need to stop assuming he never had medical treatement because he some treatment for something.

People stole from him and people are using him now beyond the grave. He was paranoid because he was too trusting and people took advantage.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 09/09/17 5:51am

purplerabbitho
le

I said paranoia "may have been" what killed him. I assumed that any drug treatment would include therapy as well because emotional/psychological issues are often connected to dependency (thus the reason I stated that drug rehab would probably have to address the fact that not trusting doctors in the past might have contributed to his problems)

Its a theory. After all, he seemed to have issues with doctors as far back as Mayte's pregnancy and before his death, he was taking black market pills and couldn't even trust doctors not to reveal who he was (thus, Kirk Johnson's name on prescriptions.) Had Prince just trusted doctors to treat his issues, he might not have turned to dangerous black market pills. Had Prince not been worried that the world would have found out about his addictions, he might have trusted people around him to help him.

Other indications of possible paranoia-- he, at times, believed in some ridiculous anti-government conspiracy theories. Chaka Khan said that Prince had become more humane and warm (presumably amongst his friends) but also more paranoid (her word "paranoid") Maya Washington told a story about him having a bit of a hostile anxiety attack over his dry cleaning being bar-coded. Prince's trust issues and control issues could be construed as being connected to paranoia as well.. Prince having some emotional and mental issues wouldnt make me respect him less.

Prince being weary and self-protected because people are deceptive in his world and steal his stuff is one thing..but I do think that reasonable weariness turned into paranoia. Plus, what's the worse that can happen if his stuff was stolen or his songs were bootlegged? His OTT reaction to his videos being on youtube was much more detrimental to his career and his finances than just leaving it alone ever would have been.

I also believe everything CHick Huntsberry said in that tabloid years ago (about P being an insomniac and living in fear) . He phrased it harshly and with hyperbole but it was probably pretty close to the truth and I think he loved and worried about Prince. People did steal stuff from Prince and deceive him etc but his paranoia was still over the top. An employee of 20 years with no prior record of ripping you off is someone you should be able to trust. I do sympathize with Prince. In his shoes, I can understand his worry. After all, he did receive death threats and when he first became famous, people didn't know what to make of him and were acting crazy around him, but I do think fame did eventually take its psychological toll and was starting to take its toll as early as the 80's. The way he would keep his distance (no eye contact, talking through his assistents) mighe have partly been a way to create a cool, aloof mystery but I also think it served another purpose--to keep away people who might take advantage of him.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying P was a raging lunatic. Most of the time, he probably just did his music and farted around with musicians and his lady friends. But he did have his issues.

Also come on, I don't buy that Clive Davis would have had Prince killed. What was his waiting for? Clive and Prince worked together in 1999.

Another slightly related thought. I remember reading ALan Leeds state that he found it ironic that

Prince would get irritated that people were staring at him -- all the while, Prince is wearing high heels, makeup and extravagent clothes. But I would challenge Alan in one respect-- wouldn't people be staring at prince without those things anyway. After all, he was a 5'1" to 5'2" inch man with a baby face who was now extremely famous. Maybe Prince would rather people stare at him for things he could control (like makeup, musical prowess, stage antics etc) than things he couldn't control (like height and natural appearance) . Maybe, Prince knew he would be stared at no matter what and was just plain tired of it. In other words, being unique and standing out takes it toll.

ISaidLifeIsJustAGame said:

Just to clarify we dont know if P knew his associates called the doctor in California or whether P agreed to pain management treatment.

Also, it wasnt rehab per se because this clinic is not in-patient treatment.

And to you purplerabbithole.....no one ever said paranoia is what ultimately killed P, and that he would have been treated for paranoia as well. Did you pull that one out of your hat?

laurarichardson said:

He was going to a rehab the next day so he was going to get treatment. Once again he had a 65k line item on his inventory sheet for medical expenses so I think we need to stop assuming he never had medical treatement because he some treatment for something.

People stole from him and people are using him now beyond the grave. He was paranoid because he was too trusting and people took advantage.

[Edited 9/9/17 6:25am]

[Edited 9/9/17 6:27am]

[Edited 9/9/17 6:31am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 09/11/17 4:50am

laurarichardso
n

Do you realize that a famous person cannot go around letting the entire world know about their health issues? . Promotors take out insurance on performers if word got out that Prince had health issues or was dependent on maintence drugs maybe promotors would not have wanted to work with him. His issues could have had a direct effect on his ability to make a living since most of his income came from live performances and we saw a big reduction in those performances in the last decade of his life

I also think anyone famous that goes around broadcasting their personal problems to the world in a moron. You simple keep some sembelance of a private life to maintain your sanity.

I always thought he was smart to have a private life away from the spotlight having the entire world knowing about his health issues would not have solved his problems unless the entire world knows the solution to joint pain.

He was not as paranoid as you are making him out to be he knew what people were capable of just take a look at what is going on right now. Some morons stole an old checkbook and some kept notes written on scrap paper. He had people around him trying to bleed him dry and they are still doing it.

Now you have family members and some bank trying to break contracts he had because those contracts are not finacially viable for the family members and greedy attorneys that stand to make millions if they can break them.

We already found out that they cannot break the WB contract so now they are working on breaching the Tidal contract at the risk of a long drawn out lawsuit just to run up a legal bill and keep P's music on streaming services he did not even want them on in the first place.

Please do not say a will would have prevented this from happening as Prince had contracts and parties are still trying to go against his wishes and I am sure a will with his wishes would have be contested just like the contracts are being broken.

He sould have given every single penney he had away. If he was paranoid it had nothing to do with mental illness and more to do with the leeches around him.

purplerabbithole said:

I said paranoia "may have been" what killed him. I assumed that any drug treatment would include therapy as well because emotional/psychological issues are often connected to dependency (thus the reason I stated that drug rehab would probably have to address the fact that not trusting doctors in the past might have contributed to his problems)

Its a theory. After all, he seemed to have issues with doctors as far back as Mayte's pregnancy and before his death, he was taking black market pills and couldn't even trust doctors not to reveal who he was (thus, Kirk Johnson's name on prescriptions.) Had Prince just trusted doctors to treat his issues, he might not have turned to dangerous black market pills. Had Prince not been worried that the world would have found out about his addictions, he might have trusted people around him to help him.

Other indications of possible paranoia-- he, at times, believed in some ridiculous anti-government conspiracy theories. Chaka Khan said that Prince had become more humane and warm (presumably amongst his friends) but also more paranoid (her word "paranoid") Maya Washington told a story about him having a bit of a hostile anxiety attack over his dry cleaning being bar-coded. Prince's trust issues and control issues could be construed as being connected to paranoia as well.. Prince having some emotional and mental issues wouldnt make me respect him less.

Prince being weary and self-protected because people are deceptive in his world and steal his stuff is one thing..but I do think that reasonable weariness turned into paranoia. Plus, what's the worse that can happen if his stuff was stolen or his songs were bootlegged? His OTT reaction to his videos being on youtube was much more detrimental to his career and his finances than just leaving it alone ever would have been.

I also believe everything CHick Huntsberry said in that tabloid years ago (about P being an insomniac and living in fear) . He phrased it harshly and with hyperbole but it was probably pretty close to the truth and I think he loved and worried about Prince. People did steal stuff from Prince and deceive him etc but his paranoia was still over the top. An employee of 20 years with no prior record of ripping you off is someone you should be able to trust. I do sympathize with Prince. In his shoes, I can understand his worry. After all, he did receive death threats and when he first became famous, people didn't know what to make of him and were acting crazy around him, but I do think fame did eventually take its psychological toll and was starting to take its toll as early as the 80's. The way he would keep his distance (no eye contact, talking through his assistents) mighe have partly been a way to create a cool, aloof mystery but I also think it served another purpose--to keep away people who might take advantage of him.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying P was a raging lunatic. Most of the time, he probably just did his music and farted around with musicians and his lady friends. But he did have his issues.

Also come on, I don't buy that Clive Davis would have had Prince killed. What was his waiting for? Clive and Prince worked together in 1999.

Another slightly related thought. I remember reading ALan Leeds state that he found it ironic that

Prince would get irritated that people were staring at him -- all the while, Prince is wearing high heels, makeup and extravagent clothes. But I would challenge Alan in one respect-- wouldn't people be staring at prince without those things anyway. After all, he was a 5'1" to 5'2" inch man with a baby face who was now extremely famous. Maybe Prince would rather people stare at him for things he could control (like makeup, musical prowess, stage antics etc) than things he couldn't control (like height and natural appearance) . Maybe, Prince knew he would be stared at no matter what and was just plain tired of it. In other words, being unique and standing out takes it toll.

ISaidLifeIsJustAGame said:

Just to clarify we dont know if P knew his associates called the doctor in California or whether P agreed to pain management treatment.

Also, it wasnt rehab per se because this clinic is not in-patient treatment.

And to you purplerabbithole.....no one ever said paranoia is what ultimately killed P, and that he would have been treated for paranoia as well. Did you pull that one out of your hat?

[Edited 9/9/17 6:25am]

[Edited 9/9/17 6:27am]

[Edited 9/9/17 6:31am]

[Edited 9/11/17 4:59am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 09/17/17 7:50am

gingerwildwood

A nice interview with MH. He seems to have repeated himself on a few things but he has always been sincere. I thought it was weird that he called Kiran Sharma- she was fired and out of the loop just like he was. And Prince had only puppet managers after the 80s so she probably couldn't have known much either.
If it's magic, then why can't it be everlasting.....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Associated artists & people > Morris Hayes’ Amazing 20-Year Journey With Prince