independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 21st Oct 2017 7:32pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > Why are people so uncomfortable talking about race?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 8 of 11 « First<234567891011>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #210 posted 06/18/17 7:40pm

PeteSilas

elijah, i'm a half-breed athabascan native of alaska, my father may have been born only 30 years after our tribe met the first white man so it's a lot to go from stone age, tribal folks to who I am today, I do my best.

[Edited 6/18/17 19:40pm]

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #211 posted 06/18/17 7:42pm

2elijah

avatar

'Trump voters got Hoodwinked by Trump' popcorn coke
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #212 posted 06/18/17 7:43pm

2elijah

avatar

PeteSilas said:

elijah, i'm a half-breed athabascan native of alaska, my father may have been born only 30 years after our tribe met the first white man so it's a lot to go from stone age, tribal folks to who I am today, I do my best.

[Edited 6/18/17 19:40pm]


Wow, thanks for sharing. This may the first I've heard of that group.
'Trump voters got Hoodwinked by Trump' popcorn coke
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #213 posted 06/18/17 8:01pm

LBrent

214 said:

I hope someday the story changes so drastically that we non-whites and blacks become the slave owners, and whites our slaves, that's what i would call justice.

2elijah said:
That's not a good solution for justice.

Right? Ain't nobody tryna own no damned White slaves...That's what caused non-White slavery.

Europeans brought Irish and lower class British "indentured servants" to the US first...Problem was, the indentured servants being White could run away, upgrade their accents, make money and eventually move away from where they were serving...

So the Europeans decided to get slaves who could be easily recognized if they escaped...Africans were perfect for this purpose because they were from far away but didn't speak English and their skin colour was different from Whites so they could'nt blend into the White community if they escaped...Also, Africa and other non-White countries routinely engaged in slavery, but it was different type of slavery, more like indentured servitude...

Europeans decided that by working within the African slave trade system that already existed, but buying the slaves and transporting them to the US and Caribbean US controlled countries, they would be able to keep the African slaves indefinitely instead of the way indentured servitude works which frees the servant after the debt is paid...By never having to free African slaves, plus creating a narrative that had society believing Africans to be less than human, slaves could be bred, sold, and worked without pay in White businesses (plantations).

Imagine owning a business where you had workers who feared you, the law supported your abuse of them and your never had to pay them...Think how profitable that would be.

So White owners made money through their businesses, through the sale of slave, through inherting what rightfully belonged to slaves, and the law supported their behaviour...until the civil war...

After the Civil War, when the laws didn't support slave labour, White slave owners went bankrupt in droves...

I once saw a bumper sticker, while driving through the South on a trip, with a raised black fist that said, "Ya shoulda picked your own damned cotton!"

Quite apropos, no?

Due in large part to these events, the prevailing opinion of many non-Whites is that Whites are weak, greedy, have a tendency and inate feeling of entitlement towards using more than their fair share of available resources including those that belong to others who are non-White, and being lazy and always looking for a non-White to do all the work while Whites take a larger portion of both the profits and credit for than they deserve...and while they consider non-Whites to be inferior, they seek to imitate their fashion, cilture, entertainment, etc ad nauseum.

confused

An interesting movie showing Blacks and Whites in reversed modern-day social roles is White Man's Burden with Harry Belafonte and John Travolta.

Also a movie from the 70s called The Watermelon Man starring now deceased comedian/actor Godfrey Cambridge.

[Edited 6/18/17 20:07pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #214 posted 06/18/17 10:42pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

PeteSilas said:

djThunderfunk said:


Was he not "proudly black" in 94 when he did "Race"?

he went back and forth in the 90's, so, i'd say no.


Nonsense. Race was recorded Nov 91-May 93, Black MF In The House was recorded in 92.

He was "proudly black". And he was not "naive like a teenage white girl".

I'm gonna keep on seeing us all as one race. Don't care if that makes me naive or is percieved as a racist idealogy. It's not. It's the opposite.

By the way, "Why are people so uncomfortable talking about race?" Maybe cause of stuff like this.
Just sayin'...


We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #215 posted 06/18/17 10:48pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

214 said:

I hope someday the story changes so drastically that we non-whites and blacks become the slave owners, and whites our slaves, that's what i would call justice.


Like say, the Barbary slave trade? https://en.wikipedia.org/...lave_trade

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #216 posted 06/19/17 12:07am

PeteSilas

2elijah said:

This is for PeterSilas: http://www.smithsonianmag...-73824867/

great article, i'm reminded of many things reading it, how most of the tribes the world over really, had a system of belief that tied in with the natural world, the talking to trees thing was something a lot of Indians did. It's crazy how there were 3 mill in the islands, the scientists (like i said they lie) estimate that there were only a million or two in the north american hemisphere, well, if there were 3 mill sprinkled in various islands, there were probably a lot more on the mainland, just one reason i don't trust the scientists. Also, I'm a huge boxing fan, I am aware that puerto rican fighters often boast of their taino or boriqua heritage, it's great to know they have that pride and that small island, probably has more champions for the population than any other nation on earth, I've never seen more fighting spirit than I have out of puerto rican boxers, just inhumanly tough, whatever happened there, it has bred a very strong peoples.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #217 posted 06/19/17 12:51am

PeteSilas

djThunderfunk said:

PeteSilas said:

he went back and forth in the 90's, so, i'd say no.


Nonsense. Race was recorded Nov 91-May 93, Black MF In The House was recorded in 92.

He was "proudly black". And he was not "naive like a teenage white girl".

I'm gonna keep on seeing us all as one race. Don't care if that makes me naive or is percieved as a racist idealogy. It's not. It's the opposite.

By the way, "Why are people so uncomfortable talking about race?" Maybe cause of stuff like this.
Just sayin'...


i didn't call prince a teenage white girl, he did run from his roots in the 80's, i think he had some ambivalent lyrics in the 90's too, that was all over after the wb war I think, which brought him out of his spell for good. anyway, by the time he died, that am i black or white bull was in the past for him, his allegiance was with his people without a doubt, and go check, after he died, we had some debates about that too. some white fans said he was brainwashed because he wasn't the guy who wrote "black,white puerto rican, everybody just a freakin'" and the like.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #218 posted 06/19/17 4:22am

Guitarhero

avatar


As a straight white man i have been told many times i can't talk about it and i should shut up. Fair enough i think. I believe in everyone but will still be told to shut up. I admit i feel uncomfortable talking about it because i will never know what it is like to be none white. Plus being called white boy or white devil or white straight men are the problem all time does make me feel like i should not say anything. I love everyone that will never change. We as white people should listen more.

Love and miss you so much Julita xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx heart Rest in Peace. I'm heartbroken bheart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #219 posted 06/19/17 4:38am

2elijah

avatar

LBrent said:



214 said:

I hope someday the story changes so drastically that we non-whites and blacks become the slave owners, and whites our slaves, that's what i would call justice.




2elijah said:

That's not a good solution for justice.

Right? Ain't nobody tryna own no damned White slaves...That's what caused non-White slavery.



Europeans brought Irish and lower class British "indentured servants" to the US first...Problem was, the indentured servants being White could run away, upgrade their accents, make money and eventually move away from where they were serving...



So the Europeans decided to get slaves who could be easily recognized if they escaped...Africans were perfect for this purpose because they were from far away but didn't speak English and their skin colour was different from Whites so they could'nt blend into the White community if they escaped...Also, Africa and other non-White countries routinely engaged in slavery, but it was different type of slavery, more like indentured servitude...



Europeans decided that by working within the African slave trade system that already existed, but buying the slaves and transporting them to the US and Caribbean US controlled countries, they would be able to keep the African slaves indefinitely instead of the way indentured servitude works which frees the servant after the debt is paid...By never having to free African slaves, plus creating a narrative that had society believing Africans to be less than human, slaves could be bred, sold, and worked without pay in White businesses (plantations).



Imagine owning a business where you had workers who feared you, the law supported your abuse of them and your never had to pay them...Think how profitable that would be.



So White owners made money through their businesses, through the sale of slave, through inherting what rightfully belonged to slaves, and the law supported their behaviour...until the civil war...



After the Civil War, when the laws didn't support slave labour, White slave owners went bankrupt in droves...



I once saw a bumper sticker, while driving through the South on a trip, with a raised black fist that said, "Ya shoulda picked your own damned cotton!"



Quite apropos, no?



Due in large part to these events, the prevailing opinion of many non-Whites is that Whites are weak, greedy, have a tendency and inate feeling of entitlement towards using more than their fair share of available resources including those that belong to others who are non-White, and being lazy and always looking for a non-White to do all the work while Whites take a larger portion of both the profits and credit for than they deserve...and while they consider non-Whites to be inferior, they seek to imitate their fashion, cilture, entertainment, etc ad nauseum.



confused



An interesting movie showing Blacks and Whites in reversed modern-day social roles is White Man's Burden with Harry Belafonte and John Travolta.



Also a movie from the 70s called The Watermelon Man starring now deceased comedian/actor Godfrey Cambridge.


[Edited 6/18/17 20:07pm]


Yes, slavery has been around since the beginning of humans. All groups enslaved one another, and other groups. Some took it way too far. The issue with slavery in America, is post-slavery and the so-called 'free Blacks' still suffered/and had to endure racial discrimination with Jim Crow, Black codes and segregation laws, and many faced domestic terrorism against their communities. Sadly, even when Blacks lived within their own communities during segregation, they still had to deal with the effects of racial hatred, physical attacks, lynching, etc., and the lies of ignorant, white supremacy ideology infested in the minds of many in the White community.

And...still in 2017, dealing with the upgraded, slavery system in America.. the prison industrial system, since after the civil war. America is still highly dependent on slavery in its upgraded fashion, but institutionalized racism never really went away. We see this in law enforcement, the court/justice system, educational institutions, etc., just to name a few, and the modern-day mistreatment of Blacks and other people of color, by many, not all, within law enforcement, is a testament that in 2017, racist and stereotype views, is sill a major and serious problem in the roots of American society.

The sad irony of it all this, is that slavery and the system of racism, is what built the foundation and wealth of America, from the blood, sweat tears of the enslaved.. for free.
[Edited 6/19/17 5:10am]
'Trump voters got Hoodwinked by Trump' popcorn coke
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #220 posted 06/19/17 5:15am

2elijah

avatar

PeteSilas said:



2elijah said:


This is for PeterSilas: http://www.smithsonianmag...-73824867/

great article, i'm reminded of many things reading it, how most of the tribes the world over really, had a system of belief that tied in with the natural world, the talking to trees thing was something a lot of Indians did. It's crazy how there were 3 mill in the islands, the scientists (like i said they lie) estimate that there were only a million or two in the north american hemisphere, well, if there were 3 mill sprinkled in various islands, there were probably a lot more on the mainland, just one reason i don't trust the scientists. Also, I'm a huge boxing fan, I am aware that puerto rican fighters often boast of their taino or boriqua heritage, it's great to know they have that pride and that small island, probably has more champions for the population than any other nation on earth, I've never seen more fighting spirit than I have out of puerto rican boxers, just inhumanly tough, whatever happened there, it has bred a very strong peoples.



Yes, the Tainos were a branch from the Arawak tribe.. The same lie was told about the Arawaks being extinct, shortly after Columbus visited some of those islands. Truth is many escaped to the mountains, and survived there for a while. Also, the lies about the Carib Amerindians being cannibals was total bs. But that's another story. These Amerindian groups that inhabited the Caribbean, are rarely discussed in the classrooms, in detail, other than when Columbus is mentioned arriving there, but the horror stories of what Columbus and his men did, when they arrived, are watered down or just not mentioned in the history books at all.
[Edited 6/19/17 5:21am]
'Trump voters got Hoodwinked by Trump' popcorn coke
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #221 posted 06/19/17 5:49am

LBrent

Guitarhero said:


As a straight white man i have been told many times i can't talk about it and i should shut up. Fair enough i think. I believe in everyone but will still be told to shut up. I admit i feel uncomfortable talking about it because i will never know what it is like to be none white. Plus being called white boy or white devil or white straight men are the problem all time does make me feel like i should not say anything. I love everyone that will never change. We as white people should listen more.

If you wanna talk about it then you should...absolutely...But ya gotta be emotionally prepared for the salty crap first, hon.

Each conversation helps in some small way, but the pent up hostility is there...Sometimes it'll start off with you as a "target" and it'll sound like when lovers argue and the one partner is like "ALL men are insensitive douches and NEVER put the toilet seat down!"...But eventually, as folks who have felt their side hasn't been heard turns into "OK, you put the toilet seat down and put out the garbage and bathe the kids without me asking, but MOST men don't."

And the more you can hang in there and listen it'll turn into "Ok, not all men do that, but many do"...Racial discussion is similar...But lotsa folks only hear blame and feel guilt and their emotions get in the way a bit so they start defending "themselves" instead of letting the person who feels wronged talk and get it all out and just LISTEN and try to digest their messages of pain...cuz as painful as it is to hear, it's just as painful to tell the story.

Nobody who feels wronged hates EVERYBODY on the opposing side...It just feels that way to them due to their frustration...when they start to feel heard that feeling starts to slip away.

If racial discussion is important to you, hang in there, but gird your loins cuz it ain't a cakewalk...but it does get better...Honest.

hug

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #222 posted 06/19/17 6:10am

2elijah

avatar

LBrent said:

A pivotal scene in the movie The Color Purple happens when a prestigious White woman approaches Sophia, played by Oprah Winfrey.



The White woman smiles warmly and says "Your children are so clean. Would you like to come work for me as my maid?"



This White woman smiles warmmly like she has just delivered a compliment, but Sophia say, "Hell no."



Sophia's prideful refusal is so shocking that the White woman looks stunned and other Whites who overheard are insulted and the scene escalates to them all yelling obscenities at Sophia cuz how dare she not accept the mayor's wife's generous offer!



Replace Sophia with any White woman you choose and replace the White woman with a non-White...Would that EVER happen with those roles reversed?



Why did a White woman feel that it was ok to approach a complete stranger to say that?


[Edited 6/17/17 22:18pm]




I remember that scene. That's kind of like in the same vein as when a white mail person rings your doorbell, and ask if you are the housekeeper. That happened to my mother when she moved to Florida for a while, and bought a house there. A White Fed Ex delivery guy, approached her door, saw a Black woman open the door, and asked "Are you the maid?" My mother said "No, I'm the owner of the house." He immediately saw her as 'the help.'
'Trump voters got Hoodwinked by Trump' popcorn coke
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #223 posted 06/19/17 6:14am

LBrent

2elijah said:

LBrent said:

Right? Ain't nobody tryna own no damned White slaves...That's what caused non-White slavery.

Europeans brought Irish and lower class British "indentured servants" to the US first...Problem was, the indentured servants being White could run away, upgrade their accents, make money and eventually move away from where they were serving...

So the Europeans decided to get slaves who could be easily recognized if they escaped...Africans were perfect for this purpose because they were from far away but didn't speak English and their skin colour was different from Whites so they could'nt blend into the White community if they escaped...Also, Africa and other non-White countries routinely engaged in slavery, but it was different type of slavery, more like indentured servitude...

Europeans decided that by working within the African slave trade system that already existed, but buying the slaves and transporting them to the US and Caribbean US controlled countries, they would be able to keep the African slaves indefinitely instead of the way indentured servitude works which frees the servant after the debt is paid...By never having to free African slaves, plus creating a narrative that had society believing Africans to be less than human, slaves could be bred, sold, and worked without pay in White businesses (plantations).

Imagine owning a business where you had workers who feared you, the law supported your abuse of them and your never had to pay them...Think how profitable that would be.

So White owners made money through their businesses, through the sale of slave, through inherting what rightfully belonged to slaves, and the law supported their behaviour...until the civil war...

After the Civil War, when the laws didn't support slave labour, White slave owners went bankrupt in droves...

I once saw a bumper sticker, while driving through the South on a trip, with a raised black fist that said, "Ya shoulda picked your own damned cotton!"

Quite apropos, no?

Due in large part to these events, the prevailing opinion of many non-Whites is that Whites are weak, greedy, have a tendency and inate feeling of entitlement towards using more than their fair share of available resources including those that belong to others who are non-White, and being lazy and always looking for a non-White to do all the work while Whites take a larger portion of both the profits and credit for than they deserve...and while they consider non-Whites to be inferior, they seek to imitate their fashion, cilture, entertainment, etc ad nauseum.

confused

An interesting movie showing Blacks and Whites in reversed modern-day social roles is White Man's Burden with Harry Belafonte and John Travolta.

Also a movie from the 70s called The Watermelon Man starring now deceased comedian/actor Godfrey Cambridge.

[Edited 6/18/17 20:07pm]

Yes, slavery has been around since the beginning of humans. All groups enslaved one another, and other groups. Some took it way too far. The issue with slavery in America, is post-slavery and the so-called 'free Blacks' still suffered/and had to endure racial discrimination with Jim Crow, Black codes and segregation laws, and many faced domestic terrorism against their communities. Sadly, even when Blacks lived within their own communities during segregation, they still had to deal with the effects of racial hatred, physical attacks, lynching, etc., and the lies of ignorant, white supremacy ideology infested in the minds of many in the White community. And...still in 2017, dealing with the upgraded, slavery system in America.. the prison industrial system, since after the civil war. America is still highly dependent on slavery in its upgraded fashion, but institutionalized racism never really went away. We see this in law enforcement, the court/justice system, educational institutions, etc., just to name a few, and the modern-day mistreatment of Blacks and other people of color, by many, not all, within law enforcement, is a testament that in 2017, racist and stereotype views, is sill a major and serious problem in the roots of American society. The sad irony of it all this, is that slavery and the system of racism, is what built the foundation and wealth of America, from the blood, sweat tears of the enslaved.. for free. [Edited 6/19/17 5:10am]

And adding to what you said, while people from Latin America and Mexico had been silently making their way into the US in trickles, they were sorta a "hidden slave set" who were often undocumented but that made them exploitable...the would be put to work invisibly, ofyen in White households tending children and cleaning etc and worked HARD, but they would be afraid to complain because of not having legal documents...many White employers knew the workers were undocumented and used that as a way to control the workers by either promises of "getting them papers" or threats of "calling the immigration authorities to have them deported" as a way keep hispanic undocumented workers in line.

And while they were foreigners in the US, they often struggled with language obstacles...When I grew up in the 60s, children were prohibited from speaking anything but English in school...there were no bilingual classes...so again, as with African slaves, Hispanics were controlled by not be able to understand the language...the difference was Africans were prohibited their language even during "private" time and the mix of captives often were from different tribes with different native languages...in the case of Hispanics, they could continue speaking their language amongst themselves with no law against it.

Also, due to Hispanics decending from the European Spaniards who originally conquered their countries ages ago, they had lighter skin and hair that was similar to the White standard of beauty so there was a certain acceptance from that...this is similar to the difference between the way an African American has been mixed and the "pure" look of an African directly from Africa.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #224 posted 06/19/17 6:21am

SuperFurryAnim
al

avatar

MODERN DAY SLAVERY

"Ya see, me and the Lord have an understanding."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #225 posted 06/19/17 6:25am

LBrent

2elijah said:

LBrent said:

A pivotal scene in the movie The Color Purple happens when a prestigious White woman approaches Sophia, played by Oprah Winfrey.

The White woman smiles warmly and says "Your children are so clean. Would you like to come work for me as my maid?"

This White woman smiles warmmly like she has just delivered a compliment, but Sophia say, "Hell no."

Sophia's prideful refusal is so shocking that the White woman looks stunned and other Whites who overheard are insulted and the scene escalates to them all yelling obscenities at Sophia cuz how dare she not accept the mayor's wife's generous offer!

Replace Sophia with any White woman you choose and replace the White woman with a non-White...Would that EVER happen with those roles reversed?

Why did a White woman feel that it was ok to approach a complete stranger to say that?

[Edited 6/17/17 22:18pm]

I remember that scene. That's kind of like in the same vein as when a white mail person rings your doorbell, and ask if you are the housekeeper. That happened to my mother when she moved to Florida for a while, and bought a house there. A White Fed Ex delivery guy, approached her door, saw a Black woman open the door, and asked "Are you the maid?" My mother said "No, I'm the owner of the house." He immediately saw her as 'the help.'

Lawd...

My high yalla azz gets it too...My kids are all butterscotch complected, my husband was extremely "Wesley Snipes" complected...

And we'd have the kids in a restaurant, 5 lil well dressed kids aged 6, 3 1/2 and 1...and invariably an elderly White woman would stop to pay what I'm sure was a compliment in her mind..."Oh, my...are they all yours??? They're so WELL BEHAVED!" eek

That's not a compliment. It's an upscale restaurant. They're SUPPOSED to be well behaved. WTaF???

Like when somebody said colin Powell was "well spoken". eek He's an educated government official...shouldn't being well spoken be a given???

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #226 posted 06/19/17 6:29am

2elijah

avatar

SuperFurryAnimal said:

MODERN DAY SLAVERY


Oh that's called 'institutional racism.' Check the prison system in America, that's just one of the upgraded, modern-day slavery systems, since after the civil war.
'Trump voters got Hoodwinked by Trump' popcorn coke
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #227 posted 06/19/17 6:35am

SuperFurryAnim
al

avatar

2elijah said:

SuperFurryAnimal said:

MODERN DAY SLAVERY

Oh that's called 'institutional racism.' Check the prison system in America, that's just one of the upgraded, modern-day slavery systems, since after the civil war.

Asians and hispanics suffer the most from MODERN DAY SLAVERY.

"Ya see, me and the Lord have an understanding."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #228 posted 06/19/17 6:40am

2elijah

avatar

LBrent said:



2elijah said:


LBrent said:

A pivotal scene in the movie The Color Purple happens when a prestigious White woman approaches Sophia, played by Oprah Winfrey.



The White woman smiles warmly and says "Your children are so clean. Would you like to come work for me as my maid?"



This White woman smiles warmmly like she has just delivered a compliment, but Sophia say, "Hell no."



Sophia's prideful refusal is so shocking that the White woman looks stunned and other Whites who overheard are insulted and the scene escalates to them all yelling obscenities at Sophia cuz how dare she not accept the mayor's wife's generous offer!



Replace Sophia with any White woman you choose and replace the White woman with a non-White...Would that EVER happen with those roles reversed?



Why did a White woman feel that it was ok to approach a complete stranger to say that?



[Edited 6/17/17 22:18pm]



I remember that scene. That's kind of like in the same vein as when a white mail person rings your doorbell, and ask if you are the housekeeper. That happened to my mother when she moved to Florida for a while, and bought a house there. A White Fed Ex delivery guy, approached her door, saw a Black woman open the door, and asked "Are you the maid?" My mother said "No, I'm the owner of the house." He immediately saw her as 'the help.'

Lawd...



My high yalla azz gets it too...My kids are all butterscotch complected, my husband was extremely "Wesley Snipes" complected...



And we'd have the kids in a restaurant, 5 lil well dressed kids aged 6, 3 1/2 and 1...and invariably an elderly White woman would stop to pay what I'm sure was a compliment in her mind..."Oh, my...are they all yours??? They're so WELL BEHAVED!" eek



That's not a compliment. It's an upscale restaurant. They're SUPPOSED to be well behaved. WTaF???



Like when somebody said colin Powell was "well spoken". eek He's an educated government official...shouldn't being well spoken be a given???



Lol, yep, those are the kinds of stereotyped assumptions many persons of color have to deal with often, and yet stay strong. Your story, reminds me of years ago, when I took my 2 young nieces to work for family day. A white co-worker saw me and said, "It must be hard raising two kids alone." I responded, "They are not my children, they are my nieces." She was embarrassed. Lol. I'm sure she meant no harm, but she immediately assumed that I was a single mother, with two kids, without asking first if they were my children. Lol. I just walked away, shook my head and quietly laughed it off.
'Trump voters got Hoodwinked by Trump' popcorn coke
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #229 posted 06/19/17 6:42am

2elijah

avatar

SuperFurryAnimal said:



2elijah said:


SuperFurryAnimal said:

MODERN DAY SLAVERY



Oh that's called 'institutional racism.' Check the prison system in America, that's just one of the upgraded, modern-day slavery systems, since after the civil war.


Asians and hispanics suffer the most from MODERN DAY SLAVERY.


And how would you know that? I'm not going to let you throw this thread off track. You've been trying to do that, and others have been ignoring your comments. I will do the same. Enjoy your day.
'Trump voters got Hoodwinked by Trump' popcorn coke
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #230 posted 06/19/17 6:43am

LBrent

2elijah said:

SuperFurryAnimal said:

MODERN DAY SLAVERY

Oh that's called 'institutional racism.' Check the prison system in America, that's just one of the upgraded, modern-day slavery systems, since after the civil war.

True...But I meant the idea of employing undocumented workers, paying them less than minimum wage and there being the unspoken threat that if they complain they'll be deported.

Remember the White elected official who got in trouble cuz it was discovered that her household staff was undocumented?...And it was eek I had NO idea!

This has been happening in NY on Long Island a bit with East Indian/Pakistani wealthy folks bringing over young girls from their country and basically keeping them as slaves to care for the children and cook and clean and keeping them locked in the house to the point that the few incidents when these girls have escaped, the neighbours had never seen them before...and they'd been there for several YEARS!

Same thing happens in NYC...

But again, there's slavery of a sort in India, but the way these "Indians" were doing this isn't consistant with that type of indentured servitude...This has a different moral code.

Indentured servants have a debt to be paid and become "slaves" to repay the debt, then are free to go on with their lives...Indentured servitude is even in the Bible as a way to pay off debt...But this wasn't that...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #231 posted 06/19/17 6:44am

SuperFurryAnim
al

avatar

If America can end poverty problem I believe it would help solve some of the prison problem. Why does Hollywood glamorize gangsta culture in film and music?

"Ya see, me and the Lord have an understanding."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #232 posted 06/19/17 6:53am

SuperFurryAnim
al

avatar

LBrent said:

2elijah said:

SuperFurryAnimal said: Oh that's called 'institutional racism.' Check the prison system in America, that's just one of the upgraded, modern-day slavery systems, since after the civil war.

True...But I meant the idea of employing undocumented workers, paying them less than minimum wage and there being the unspoken threat that if they complain they'll be deported.

Remember the White elected official who got in trouble cuz it was discovered that her household staff was undocumented?...And it was eek I had NO idea!

This has been happening in NY on Long Island a bit with East Indian/Pakistani wealthy folks bringing over young girls from their country and basically keeping them as slaves to care for the children and cook and clean and keeping them locked in the house to the point that the few incidents when these girls have escaped, the neighbours had never seen them before...and they'd been there for several YEARS!

Same thing happens in NYC...

But again, there's slavery of a sort in India, but the way these "Indians" were doing this isn't consistant with that type of indentured servitude...This has a different moral code.

Indentured servants have a debt to be paid and become "slaves" to repay the debt, then are free to go on with their lives...Indentured servitude is even in the Bible as a way to pay off debt...But this wasn't that...

Documenting the undocumented would solve some of those issues. Welfare and the prison system do not feel like slavery but are also a massive problem. I think a small percentage of undocumented would be deported and majority of these hispanics and latinos would intigrate and be successful if given chance.

"Ya see, me and the Lord have an understanding."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #233 posted 06/19/17 6:54am

2elijah

avatar

LBrent said:



2elijah said:


SuperFurryAnimal said:

MODERN DAY SLAVERY



Oh that's called 'institutional racism.' Check the prison system in America, that's just one of the upgraded, modern-day slavery systems, since after the civil war.


True...But I meant the idea of employing undocumented workers, paying them less than minimum wage and there being the unspoken threat that if they complain they'll be deported.



Remember the White elected official who got in trouble cuz it was discovered that her household staff was undocumented?...And it was eek I had NO idea!



This has been happening in NY on Long Island a bit with East Indian/Pakistani wealthy folks bringing over young girls from their country and basically keeping them as slaves to care for the children and cook and clean and keeping them locked in the house to the point that the few incidents when these girls have escaped, the neighbours had never seen them before...and they'd been there for several YEARS!



Same thing happens in NYC...



But again, there's slavery of a sort in India, but the way these "Indians" were doing this isn't consistant with that type of indentured servitude...This has a different moral code.



Indentured servants have a debt to be paid and become "slaves" to repay the debt, then are free to go on with their lives...Indentured servitude is even in the Bible as a way to pay off debt...But this wasn't that...


Yes I remember that. I saw a movie on Netflix, can't remember the name, but believe this was in the UK, and it was an Indian (East Indian) family that hired her, where an African woman was hired as a domestic worker, and she was beatened and kept hostage, by the woman who hired her, until she finally found a way to reach an outsider who reported the family, and the lady was released.
'Trump voters got Hoodwinked by Trump' popcorn coke
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #234 posted 06/19/17 6:54am

LBrent

2elijah said:

SuperFurryAnimal said:

Asians and hispanics suffer the most from MODERN DAY SLAVERY.

And how would you know that? I'm not going to let you throw this thread off track. You've been trying to do that, and others have been ignoring your comments. I will do the same. Enjoy your day.

They suffer from racism...all non-Whites do...but the levels vary, depending on how "acceptable" Whites find them...

There was a time when Italians coming into NYC and through Ellis Island had their long vowelled names shortenened by officials to sound more like British surnames...and Italians, often being swarthy/olive complected weren't hired...and Irish were considered lower class so they weren't hired...which makes sense when you remember that Ireland was Great Britain's n*ggers long before slavery in the US.

The word n*gger was a British word that meant lazy. If you were "niggardly" you were a lazy person of ANY race, but since at that time Great Britain was primarily White Anglo-Saxons, that's who they referred to...The British used that word...It wasn't made FOR African slaves, it was simply USED on them.

If folks don't like it's use simply because of African slavery in the US, dig deeper...it's use far pre-dates US slavery and was used by Whites ON other Whites.

History will eff up the common narrative every time. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #235 posted 06/19/17 7:03am

LBrent

SuperFurryAnimal said:

If America can end poverty problem I believe it would help solve some of the prison problem. Why does Hollywood glamorize gangsta culture in film and music?

Poverty won't ever end anywhere in the world.

Know why? Cuz poverty is big business.

With no poor people the world won't work...There'd be no pool of workers to gratefully do the jobs no one wants to do.

Send all the Mexicans back to Mexico...Now, who's cooking, doing dangerous underpaid construction work, doing all the damned landscaping, watching entitled rich kids, cleaning the house (and sleeping with Arnold Schwartzenegger, but I digress)...and wtf is gonna fight in all these damned wars...and I don't mean from the safety of an office, I mean ON the actual battlefield like my Dad in WW2???

The reality is, without the poor the rich would be lost...so they must remain...and they will.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #236 posted 06/19/17 7:10am

SuperFurryAnim
al

avatar

LBrent said:

SuperFurryAnimal said:

If America can end poverty problem I believe it would help solve some of the prison problem. Why does Hollywood glamorize gangsta culture in film and music?

Poverty won't ever end anywhere in the world.

Know why? Cuz poverty is big business.

With no poor people the world won't work...There'd be no pool of workers to gratefully do the jobs no one wants to do.

Send all the Mexicans back to Mexico...Now, who's cooking, doing dangerous underpaid construction work, doing all the damned landscaping, watching entitled rich kids, cleaning the house (and sleeping with Arnold Schwartzenegger, but I digress)...and wtf is gonna fight in all these damned wars...and I don't mean from the safety of an office, I mean ON the actual battlefield like my Dad in WW2???

The reality is, without the poor the rich would be lost...so they must remain...and they will.

KNOWLEDGE IS KEY. EDUCATE YOURSELF.

"Ya see, me and the Lord have an understanding."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #237 posted 06/19/17 7:39am

2elijah

avatar

LBrent said:



2elijah said:


SuperFurryAnimal said:



Asians and hispanics suffer the most from MODERN DAY SLAVERY.



And how would you know that? I'm not going to let you throw this thread off track. You've been trying to do that, and others have been ignoring your comments. I will do the same. Enjoy your day.


They suffer from racism...all non-Whites do...but the levels vary, depending on how "acceptable" Whites find them...



There was a time when Italians coming into NYC and through Ellis Island had their long vowelled names shortenened by officials to sound more like British surnames...and Italians, often being swarthy/olive complected weren't hired...and Irish were considered lower class so they weren't hired...which makes sense when you remember that Ireland was Great Britain's n*ggers long before slavery in the US.



The word n*gger was a British word that meant lazy. If you were "niggardly" you were a lazy person of ANY race, but since at that time Great Britain was primarily White Anglo-Saxons, that's who they referred to...The British used that word...It wasn't made FOR African slaves, it was simply USED on them.



If folks don't like it's use simply because of African slavery in the US, dig deeper...it's use far pre-dates US slavery and was used by Whites ON other Whites.



History will eff up the common narrative every time. lol


Yes, I'm pretty much aware about the effects of slavery in America and all over the world, including the mistreatment of legal and illegal immigrants. I've been around for a long time.
'Trump voters got Hoodwinked by Trump' popcorn coke
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #238 posted 06/19/17 7:42am

2elijah

avatar

liljojo said:



PeteSilas said:


that's wierd, i thought priests couldn't have kids.



liljojo said:




IDK about that part! I was once told by priest "my daughter likes you and by the grace of my prayers I hope your handsome ass die" neutral and 4yrs Later he told me "I wish you would have married my daughter"

Side note: Love your icon by the way






Pete tell that to the Priest in Miami, FL

It's 6 priests down here with SEVERAL baby mama's and that's the 6 I know about so there are more. Plus that scandal with the boys being molested once again it was I think 18 or 19 with some more in CUBA and colombia in that melt down.

Everybody have a demonic side as humans. That's why it's hard for me to believe in nothing else but the heavenly father. It's tithes free and judgemental free. These worldly religions is just not for me and atheism is just silly.


That's a shame. They justify their crimes with the Bible and the cloth.
[Edited 6/19/17 7:43am]
'Trump voters got Hoodwinked by Trump' popcorn coke
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #239 posted 06/19/17 7:47am

LBrent

SuperFurryAnimal said:

LBrent said:

Poverty won't ever end anywhere in the world.

Know why? Cuz poverty is big business.

With no poor people the world won't work...There'd be no pool of workers to gratefully do the jobs no one wants to do.

Send all the Mexicans back to Mexico...Now, who's cooking, doing dangerous underpaid construction work, doing all the damned landscaping, watching entitled rich kids, cleaning the house (and sleeping with Arnold Schwartzenegger, but I digress)...and wtf is gonna fight in all these damned wars...and I don't mean from the safety of an office, I mean ON the actual battlefield like my Dad in WW2???

The reality is, without the poor the rich would be lost...so they must remain...and they will.

KNOWLEDGE IS KEY. EDUCATE YOURSELF.

ABSOLUTELY

So lemme go email that to all the poor folks...without homes...and without compturs...and without food...

When I saw that it reminded me of a scene I saw of a rich woman walikng past homeless people and saying, "Why would they live in a box when they could live in a nice apartment???"

At first I was like "Is this stoopit c*nt serious???"

Then I realized that in her world people had the luxury to CHOOSE where they lived and she assumed that these boxdwellers were CHOOSING that .

It boggles the mind in the same way that Bill Gates donated BILLIONS to educated poor children by buying them books...nice thought...But the reality is that those children wouldn't be able to concentrate on learning and reading because when your belly is empty and growling you aren't tryna learn...and your brain isn't functioning after malnourish,emt...

So the first step to education is filling bellies so brains function...

Interesting fact: healthier food choices are more expensive in densely populated non-White areas...and although typically the store is staffed by folks who look like the demographic they are set in, the actual food store corporations are owned by Whites.

Hmmmmmmm

[Edited 6/19/17 8:32am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 8 of 11 « First<234567891011>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > Why are people so uncomfortable talking about race?