independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 13th Dec 2017 1:05am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Politics & Religion > The Ignored Privilege...living in the modern world
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/27/17 10:49am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

The Ignored Privilege...living in the modern world

Taken from a comment on another topic:

Most people in the world do not have access to things like clean running water in the home. Many do not have access to electricity. Many live in very substandard homes. Many lack regular access to the internet.

So it safe to say that the vast majority of those that read this live in great privilege and are much better off than most people.

That is not to say many do not have problems. But on a global perspective, we are among the privileged and in reality quite well off.

And I am thankful that I am. It is not to say I am glad others have it bad. I am however glad and thankful that I have it as good as it I do.

Again that is not to say anyone should be happy with their lot in life...

"I was raped by the Arkansas AG who then becomes Governor & President..." Juanita Broaddrick
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/27/17 10:59am

purplethunder3
121

avatar

Tell that to the thousands of Americans who do not have a roof over their heads and food to eat, much less access to running water and the internet.

Find strength in that which remains...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/27/17 11:13am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

purplethunder3121 said:

Tell that to the thousands of Americans who do not have a roof over their heads and food to eat, much less access to running water and the internet.

yeah, that is true and I said it was most people here have it better than most other people. But few even think about it. Few just take it for granted.

It is like "whitr privilege" which I am sure it exists but it can be difficlt to recognize. Just like this privilege is not easy to see. But it seems clear than most people have things far worse than nearly all of us here on the Org.

"I was raped by the Arkansas AG who then becomes Governor & President..." Juanita Broaddrick
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/27/17 11:47am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

You never compare first world conditions to others. You compare first world to first world. We are the richest country by far, we have more inequality than any other first world democracy. Compare us to Norway and Sweden not Vietnam or Africa. False choice from our false choice master, Only-false-choices 4 Amerikkka

DJ is da man
"2freaky is very down." 2Elijah.
"2freaky convinced me to join Antifa: OnlyNDA
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/27/17 12:06pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

A polished turd is still a turd.
Murica: at least it's not Sudan.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/27/17 12:12pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:



purplethunder3121 said:


Tell that to the thousands of Americans who do not have a roof over their heads and food to eat, much less access to running water and the internet.





yeah, that is true and I said it was most people here have it better than most other people. But few even think about it. Few just take it for granted.

It is like "whitr privilege" which I am sure it exists but it can be difficlt to recognize. Just like this privilege is not easy to see. But it seems clear than most people have things far worse than nearly all of us here on the Org.



No, that is not what you said at all.
Murica: at least it's not Sudan.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/27/17 12:12pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

You never compare first world conditions to others.

I was not all that clear do you dissagree that you have it way better most others in the world?


You compare first world to first world.

Again i was not clear but i was talking globaly

We are the richest country by far,

are we?

we have more inequality than any other first world democracy.

Do we? but you know the gap is way laeger in most if not non-"democratic" nations.


Compare us to Norway and Sweden not Vietnam or Africa.

Norway and Sweden and the US and UK and Japan and the EU and others have in much better than Vietnam...Africa is Not a country... I am shocked you did not know that.... Or North Korea...


False choice from our false choice master, Only-false-choices 4 Amerikkka

there was NO choice offered just facts.

"I was raped by the Arkansas AG who then becomes Governor & President..." Juanita Broaddrick
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/27/17 12:13pm

2elijah

avatar

purplethunder3121 said:

Tell that to the thousands of Americans who do not have a roof over their heads and food to eat, much less access to running water and the internet.


Exactly. Although people all the world live in different economic situations, we should not be fooled that there is no poverty right here in this country. Not everyone has the means to obtain the much, needed resources to live comfortably.
[Edited 5/27/17 12:14pm]
'Trump voters got Hoodwinked by Trump' popcorn coke
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/27/17 12:15pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

2elijah said:

purplethunder3121 said:

Tell that to the thousands of Americans who do not have a roof over their heads and food to eat, much less access to running water and the internet.

Exactly. Although people all the world live in different economic situations, we should not be fooled that there is no poverty right here in this country. Not everyone has the means to obtain the much, needed resources to live comfortably.

who said there was not poverty or at least relative poverty but on a global level many of the poor here are still much better off than many others

"I was raped by the Arkansas AG who then becomes Governor & President..." Juanita Broaddrick
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/27/17 12:18pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

"I am going to just keep pounding these square pegs at these round holes until the corners eventually wear off and they fall through, and that'll prove I'm right."
Murica: at least it's not Sudan.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/27/17 12:19pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:



2elijah said:


purplethunder3121 said:

Tell that to the thousands of Americans who do not have a roof over their heads and food to eat, much less access to running water and the internet.



Exactly. Although people all the world live in different economic situations, we should not be fooled that there is no poverty right here in this country. Not everyone has the means to obtain the much, needed resources to live comfortably.


who said there was not poverty or at least relative poverty but on a global level many of the poor here are still much better off than many others




You categorically in all caps emphasized ALL OF US. Which is not anywhere close to the more nuanced argument you are attempting to make here.
Murica: at least it's not Sudan.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/27/17 12:33pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

Horsefeathers said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

who said there was not poverty or at least relative poverty but on a global level many of the poor here are still much better off than many others

You categorically in all caps emphasized ALL OF US. Which is not anywhere close to the more nuanced argument you are attempting to make here.

yeah, I softened it a bit. do you deny you live a privileged life when viewed on a global scale?

"I was raped by the Arkansas AG who then becomes Governor & President..." Juanita Broaddrick
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/27/17 12:36pm

2elijah

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:



purplethunder3121 said:


Tell that to the thousands of Americans who do not have a roof over their heads and food to eat, much less access to running water and the internet.





yeah, that is true and I said it was most people here have it better than most other people. But few even think about it. Few just take it for granted.

It is like "whitr privilege" which I am sure it exists but it can be difficlt to recognize. Just like this privilege is not easy to see. But it seems clear than most people have things far worse than nearly all of us here on the Org.


White privilege is a 'race-based privilege'. It has nothing to with poverty, because poor whites, are still granted that privilege, based on their race, by the preferential, humane, fair treatment, that white privilege affords them. Also many among their racial group, use that type of belief, (many subconsciously) to determine how they value and treat many non-whites, in this

So don't get 'White privilege', confused with comparing the lack of resources/lifestyles and economic situations of people living in other countries vs the resources/lifestyles of Americans.
'Trump voters got Hoodwinked by Trump' popcorn coke
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/27/17 12:38pm

2elijah

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:



Horsefeathers said:


OnlyNDaUsa said:



who said there was not poverty or at least relative poverty but on a global level many of the poor here are still much better off than many others



You categorically in all caps emphasized ALL OF US. Which is not anywhere close to the more nuanced argument you are attempting to make here.



yeah, I softened it a bit. do you deny you live a privileged life when viewed on a global scale?


I think many non-Americans believe, that Americans have it much better economically and educationally, than their country, and the reason why many want to come to this country.
'Trump voters got Hoodwinked by Trump' popcorn coke
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/27/17 12:48pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

2elijah said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

yeah, I softened it a bit. do you deny you live a privileged life when viewed on a global scale?

I think many non-Americans believe, that Americans have it much better economically and educationally, than their country, and the reason why many want to come to this country.

yeah seems likely.. not many people are saying "I think I want to move to the Sudan"

"I was raped by the Arkansas AG who then becomes Governor & President..." Juanita Broaddrick
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/27/17 1:25pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:



Horsefeathers said:


OnlyNDaUsa said:



who said there was not poverty or at least relative poverty but on a global level many of the poor here are still much better off than many others



You categorically in all caps emphasized ALL OF US. Which is not anywhere close to the more nuanced argument you are attempting to make here.



yeah, I softened it a bit. do you deny you live a privileged life when viewed on a global scale?





You haven't softened anything. You're making a completely different point than the one you originally made which was that ALL OF US are living in privilege just by living in the US.

I may be the wrong one to ask about how much better it is in the US, what with the cigarette burn scars on my body including genitals, poorly healed broken bones from early abuse, and my history as a homeless and hungry sex slave starting in infancy. I was a skilled sex worker by age five. Lol at food and clean water being my biggest concerns. But yeah, I'm so much more grateful that it happened here than elsewhere on the globe because that would have been really bad. Your blithe social commentary fails with me, and you're not going to pigeonhole me into some completely walked back irrelevant non point. "You would agree that water is wet, though, yes?" You just keep flinging shit at the wall until something sticks. None of it has anything to do with the original point you tried to make.

Now you want to make the broader point that the US is generally better off than a lot of other places. No shit, Sherlock. But that's completely different from your original point that ALL OF US are better off for being here.
[Edited 5/27/17 13:33pm]
Murica: at least it's not Sudan.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/27/17 1:35pm

Pokeno4Money

avatar

purplethunder3121 said:

Tell that to the thousands of Americans who do not have a roof over their heads and food to eat, much less access to running water and the internet.


565,000 homeless last year sad

"As a team, we have chosen to stand and interlock arms in unity. We honor those who have fought for the freedom we cherish. And we stand to ensure the riches and freedom and the security of justice for all people." --- Doug Baldwin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/27/17 1:51pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

The cherry on top of that whole shit cupcake was calling other people ignorant and dishonest for not buying that load of manure. The ability to remain so confident in the assertion that others about whom you know nothing and who do not share your perspective are lacking in integrity and honesty--- that is some world class out of touch privilege right there.
Murica: at least it's not Sudan.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/27/17 1:57pm

Pokeno4Money

avatar

I think what he was trying to say is that America as a country has it a lot better than many other third world countries. I don't think he was trying to disrespect Americans who are less fortunate.

"As a team, we have chosen to stand and interlock arms in unity. We honor those who have fought for the freedom we cherish. And we stand to ensure the riches and freedom and the security of justice for all people." --- Doug Baldwin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 05/27/17 2:11pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

Pokeno4Money said:

I think what he was trying to say is that America as a country has it a lot better than many other third world countries. I don't think he was trying to disrespect Americans who are less fortunate.



But that's not what he said. And then he doubled down on individuals by demanding that those individuals as individuals acknowledge that they were personally better off. And then further doubled down on those individuals by explicitly calling them dishonest, ignorant, and lacking integrity for not doing so. His posts were not ambiguous and unclear at all, and as much as I internally roll my eyes and look the other way when people play the, "no, no, you're just misinterpreting me; what I really meant was..." card as they attempt to reframe their argument, he chose specific words and emphasized them for complete clarity about what he meant. Had he not personally vilified those who did not share his ALL OF YOU view that is now apparently not his view, I suspect the broader view of "things could be a lot worse elsewhere" would have gone down a lot better.
Murica: at least it's not Sudan.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 05/27/17 2:13pm

Pokeno4Money

avatar

Horsefeathers said:

Pokeno4Money said:

I think what he was trying to say is that America as a country has it a lot better than many other third world countries. I don't think he was trying to disrespect Americans who are less fortunate.

But that's not what he said. And then he doubled down on individuals by demanding that those individuals as individuals acknowledge that they were personally better off. And then further doubled down on those individuals by explicitly calling them dishonest, ignorant, and lacking integrity for not doing so. His posts were not ambiguous and unclear at all, and as much as I internally roll my eyes and look the other way when people play the, "no, no, you're just misinterpreting me; what I really meant was..." card as they attempt to reframe their argument, he chose specific words and emphasized them for complete clarity about what he meant. Had he not personally vilified those who did not share his ALL OF YOU view that is now apparently not his view, I suspect the broader view of "things could be a lot worse elsewhere" would have gone down a lot better.


I didn't get that from the original post, but I also didn't read everything else that was written ... so I'll bow out of this one. lurking

"As a team, we have chosen to stand and interlock arms in unity. We honor those who have fought for the freedom we cherish. And we stand to ensure the riches and freedom and the security of justice for all people." --- Doug Baldwin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 05/27/17 2:19pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

Pokeno4Money said:



Horsefeathers said:


Pokeno4Money said:

I think what he was trying to say is that America as a country has it a lot better than many other third world countries. I don't think he was trying to disrespect Americans who are less fortunate.



But that's not what he said. And then he doubled down on individuals by demanding that those individuals as individuals acknowledge that they were personally better off. And then further doubled down on those individuals by explicitly calling them dishonest, ignorant, and lacking integrity for not doing so. His posts were not ambiguous and unclear at all, and as much as I internally roll my eyes and look the other way when people play the, "no, no, you're just misinterpreting me; what I really meant was..." card as they attempt to reframe their argument, he chose specific words and emphasized them for complete clarity about what he meant. Had he not personally vilified those who did not share his ALL OF YOU view that is now apparently not his view, I suspect the broader view of "things could be a lot worse elsewhere" would have gone down a lot better.


I didn't get that from the original post, but I also didn't read everything else that was written ... so I'll bow out of this one. lurking



The original post is carried over from another thread (which he referenced in the original post) wherein he did indeed say all of those things.

This thread was an attempt to polish a turd.
Murica: at least it's not Sudan.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 05/27/17 2:24pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

But if his only point is to start an entirely unrelated thread (even though he related them in the OP) to say that some places are generally worse off than the US, well, then to that I still say no shit, Sherlock or Captain Obvious. It's like Sherlock and Captain Obvious had a baby. With a degree in turd polishing.

OMG Sean Spicer, is that you?
Murica: at least it's not Sudan.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 05/27/17 2:27pm

Pokeno4Money

avatar

Horsefeathers said:

But if his only point is to start an entirely unrelated thread (even though he related them in the OP) to say that some places are generally worse off than the US, well, then to that I still say no shit, Sherlock or Captain Obvious. It's like Sherlock and Captain Obvious had a baby. With a degree in turd polishing. OMG Sean Spicer, is that you?


"As a team, we have chosen to stand and interlock arms in unity. We honor those who have fought for the freedom we cherish. And we stand to ensure the riches and freedom and the security of justice for all people." --- Doug Baldwin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 05/27/17 3:49pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

the point is we have it good. if you have access and time to post here and whine and gripe and troll me over this then you are privileged.

"I was raped by the Arkansas AG who then becomes Governor & President..." Juanita Broaddrick
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 05/27/17 3:56pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

Horsefeathers said:

Pokeno4Money said:

I think what he was trying to say is that America as a country has it a lot better than many other third world countries. I don't think he was trying to disrespect Americans who are less fortunate.

But that's not what he said. And then he doubled down on individuals by demanding that those individuals as individuals acknowledge that they were personally better off. And then further doubled down on those individuals by explicitly calling them dishonest, ignorant, and lacking integrity for not doing so. His posts were not ambiguous and unclear at all, and as much as I internally roll my eyes and look the other way when people play the, "no, no, you're just misinterpreting me; what I really meant was..." card as they attempt to reframe their argument, he chose specific words and emphasized them for complete clarity about what he meant. Had he not personally vilified those who did not share his ALL OF YOU view that is now apparently not his view, I suspect the broader view of "things could be a lot worse elsewhere" would have gone down a lot better.

it is a mess and a thought in a work in progress and was meant to just be a bit of graduated for how well we have it... the funny part is as you said it was obvious...yet you did not seem to get it...

"I was raped by the Arkansas AG who then becomes Governor & President..." Juanita Broaddrick
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 05/27/17 4:05pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

I am doing quite well now, thanks.

The fact that you feel trolled speaks to your incessant persecution complex. You whine constantly about being picked on and maligned and often demand apologies for such, and yet you spin and whirl and fling insults like Mardi Gras beads.

Still, the point you led off with was not at all what you're saying now. Two entirely different points, not any softening of positions. Walking it back doesn't change it. You keep defending your original point by saying that's not what you meant. You can't have it both ways. Don't flatter yourself into thinking that people who disagree just don't understand.
Murica: at least it's not Sudan.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 05/27/17 4:17pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

Or maybe I was too generous with the benefit of doubt in thinking that no one here is stupid enough to create what is essentially a "water is wet" thread.

But ok, yes, there are worse places. Water is also wet. Goodness gracious, bless your heart.

The original and apparently completely unrelated (even though you referenced them in the op of this thread) comments about ALL OF US having it better are still complete poppycock, though.
Murica: at least it's not Sudan.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 05/27/17 4:26pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

Let's also not forget the context of the original conversation in which those ridiculous categoric comments were made-- fairness in life. ALL OF US would have it so much worse if life were fair. The point you made and which you're frantically trying to fan away like a fart in church.

Context:

You:

all this talk about fairness... i got to say I am glad life is not fair as ALL OF US...each and every SINGLE one of us here would have a Much Harder Life

[Edited 5/27/17 16:27pm]
Murica: at least it's not Sudan.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 05/27/17 8:10pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:

Taken from a comment on another topic:

Most people in the world do not have access to things like clean running water in the home. Many do not have access to electricity. Many live in very substandard homes. Many lack regular access to the internet.

So it safe to say that the vast majority of those that read this live in great privilege and are much better off than most people.

That is not to say many do not have problems. But on a global perspective, we are among the privileged and in reality quite well off.

And I am thankful that I am. It is not to say I am glad others have it bad. I am however glad and thankful that I have it as good as it I do.

Again that is not to say anyone should be happy with their lot in life...




I was wondering when you'd walk it back. Good for you!

But I do agree that humanity has never had it so good. Including developing nations. That's not to say there is not horrifying things and inequality happening. But far less than in any time in history. I sincerely believe we have been living in a golden age. Even if you are not wealthy, there is access to good and services like never before.

It could/should get better, or the bubble could burst.

I will say that here in the US, if they repeal Obamacare and personal bankruptcy goes back up and inequity gets worse, there will be pitchforks aiming for people like you.

"Let them eat cake!"
Facebook is for losers.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Politics & Religion > The Ignored Privilege...living in the modern world