independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 20th Jun 2018 3:59am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > Anybody do "cloud" gaming?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/13/18 12:08am

domainator2010

Anybody do "cloud" gaming?

Any of the avid gamers here - I heard about this, just wanna know if any of you guys do it? Is it any good?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/13/18 2:30am

EmmaMcG

I'm not even sure what cloud gaming is but my brother has something called PlayStation Now, which is basically like a streaming service for games. There's no download required so the games don't take up space on his hard drive. I personally don't even like streaming music so that kind of thing is not for me.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/13/18 5:15am

domainator2010

I'm not familiar with consoles - is that for a Playstation, like, the console, or some kind of handheld?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/13/18 6:02am

JorisE73

domainator2010 said:

Any of the avid gamers here - I heard about this, just wanna know if any of you guys do it? Is it any good?


I worked with some guys who tested playing games on Microsofts Azure platform (playing on VM's with massive power) but they said it became pricey fast and your better off buying a decent gaming rig.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/13/18 7:56am

EmmaMcG

domainator2010 said:

I'm not familiar with consoles - is that for a Playstation, like, the console, or some kind of handheld?



It's for the ps4. It works kind of like Netflix, only its for games. He pays a subscription fee and can stream and play a whole load of PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 games for no additional cost and because its a streaming service, it doesn't take up storage space on the PlayStations hard drive.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/13/18 8:06am

domainator2010

Hmm. I'm sorry you guys feel negatively about it - to *me*, it sounds like just the kind of thing the software industry should move to.

Any particular reason you guys feel the way you do?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/13/18 9:51am

EmmaMcG

domainator2010 said:

Hmm. I'm sorry you guys feel negatively about it - to *me*, it sounds like just the kind of thing the software industry should move to.

Any particular reason you guys feel the way you do?



Streaming from the cloud means you don't own the product so in the case of the PlayStation Now service, if Sony decided to shut up shop tomorrow, you're left with nothing and no way to continue using the service. I much prefer the "old fashioned" model of buying something and owning it. I still own my Super Nintendo that I got when I was 4 years old and I still play it to this day, 24 years later. If Nintendo went out of business tomorrow, I'd still own that console and all its games. However, if Sony decides to shut down its PlayStation division, my brother would have nothing because he doesn't own the games he plays, he's just leasing them from Sony until they decide to stop.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/13/18 10:19am

domainator2010

But doesn't this model have benefits too? Maybe the cost would turn out to be less than buying the game outright? And also, if the game is running on <humungous horsepower> at the back end, you could possibly see graphical quality your *own* machine doesn't have the power to give you....?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/13/18 11:45am

EmmaMcG

domainator2010 said:

But doesn't this model have benefits too? Maybe the cost would turn out to be less than buying the game outright? And also, if the game is running on <humungous horsepower> at the back end, you could possibly see graphical quality your *own* machine doesn't have the power to give you....?



In theory, it works out cheaper but that's true with all things. Renting is always cheaper than buying but it would never be my first choice. I've never rented anything where I had the option to buy.

The graphical quality of a game is probably the least important thing. Super Mario 64 looks awful when compared to modern games and yet, it's still a far better game than the latest "ultra realistic" games you can get on high end PCs.

Unfortunately, the whole streaming thing does seem to be the way the industry is heading because its cheaper for the games makers and its also easier for them to monetize their games. As things stand, there are limits to what Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will allow when it comes to games publishers adding in microtransactions that exist solely for the purpose of bleeding their customers dry. But if we ever get to the stage whereby traditional games consoles don't exist, then there is no barrier to prevent certain greedy publishers from providing a barebones game and then charging over the odds for the "complete" experience. When games do end up like this, that's when I'll stop playing them. But at least I'll still have my old Nintendo, which I own, to keep me busy
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/13/18 11:24pm

domainator2010

EmmaMcG said:

But if we ever get to the stage whereby traditional games consoles don't exist,

Ah, but it is in fact for this reason that we're having this conversation! I read this couple of days back:

https://variety.com/2018/...202833926/

Out of curiosity, what kind of net access do you have in Ireland? Is FTTH widespread?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/14/18 12:06am

EmmaMcG

domainator2010 said:



EmmaMcG said:


But if we ever get to the stage whereby traditional games consoles don't exist,


Ah, but it is in fact for this reason that we're having this conversation! I read this couple of days back:



https://variety.com/2018/...202833926/

Out of curiosity, what kind of net access do you have in Ireland? Is FTTH widespread?



Yeah, that Ubisoft guy is probably jumping the gun a bit. It will probably happen at some stage but the next consoles will be launching within the next 2 years and they generally have a 6 year lifespan so he's suggesting that by the year 2026 gaming will move to a streaming model. It definitely won't be that soon. The type of Internet connection needed for that won't be so widespread by them. Maybe by about 2036. I don't think it's an immediate concern for console manufacturers.

But when it does happen, funnily enough it will be your old pals at Microsoft who will benefit most because if most gaming is done on PCs, they're the big winners. Pretty much every division within Sony is losing money apart from the PlayStation division so if there's no more PlayStation, they're pretty much fucked. And Nintendo ONLY have a games division. Although they are reliably old fashioned so I still think they will stick with the home console business model and cater to those who don't want to stream their games.

Internet speeds in Ireland are kind of all over the place. Where I live in Dublin, I get a 1000mb FTTH broadband connection. But its expensive, as everything in Ireland is. But if you go to the west of Ireland, there are places there where the fastest speeds available are 1mb and other places where broadband simply isn't available at all.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/14/18 12:20am

domainator2010

EmmaMcG said:

But when it does happen, funnily enough it will be your old pals at Microsoft who will benefit most because if most gaming is done on PCs, they're the big winners.


You tryin to be *funny* or something? biggrin
Most gaming, if shifted to "cloud", will NOT be done on PCs - that was the entire *point* of the article!! You could be playing on a little Android *phone*, if need be....

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/14/18 12:32am

EmmaMcG

domainator2010 said:



EmmaMcG said:


But when it does happen, funnily enough it will be your old pals at Microsoft who will benefit most because if most gaming is done on PCs, they're the big winners.


You tryin to be *funny* or something? biggrin
Most gaming, if shifted to "cloud", will NOT be done on PCs - that was the entire *point* of the article!! You could be playing on a little Android *phone*, if need be....



Yes :-D

But most people don't want to play on tiny phone screens. That's why they buy big 4k HDR TVs. Imagine playing a game like The Witcher 3 on a phone screen. It would lose its sense of magic. Of course, smart TVs are ten-a-penny nowadays so people could just use those to stream but that's assuming that the average person knows how to use all but their TV's basic functions. And I can tell you they don't. Take my fiancé as an example. Very intelligent man. Masters degree in finance and economics. He's also a walking calculator. When I was in hospital he logged in to my org account to let people know how I was. It took him about half an hour just to log in and then a further hour to figure out how to post a reply to the thread I had started. In the end he had to call my brother and ask him how to do it. Not everyone is comfortable with technology. People generally don't like change.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/14/18 12:49am

domainator2010

Ah here in India, a TON of people have Android phones - that's where the market is. Most people here are too poor to afford 4K HDR TVs.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/14/18 12:53am

JorisE73

domainator2010 said:

EmmaMcG said:

But when it does happen, funnily enough it will be your old pals at Microsoft who will benefit most because if most gaming is done on PCs, they're the big winners.


You tryin to be *funny* or something? biggrin
Most gaming, if shifted to "cloud", will NOT be done on PCs - that was the entire *point* of the article!! You could be playing on a little Android *phone*, if need be....


But the backend could still be Azure -> Microsoft.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 06/14/18 1:51am

domainator2010

JorisE73 said:

domainator2010 said:


You tryin to be *funny* or something? biggrin
Most gaming, if shifted to "cloud", will NOT be done on PCs - that was the entire *point* of the article!! You could be playing on a little Android *phone*, if need be....


But the backend could still be Azure -> Microsoft.

Yes, it could. *I*, personally, have no idea what "Azure" is, I've just heard the name, and that it's something to do with "cloud".

Are you a programmer, Joris?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 06/14/18 3:38am

EmmaMcG

domainator2010 said:

Ah here in India, a TON of people have Android phones - that's where the market is. Most people here are too poor to afford 4K HDR TVs.



Yeah everyone here has smart phones too but nobody wants to play games on them. Unless they're those shitty mobile games like Angry Birds or whatever. But they don't count.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 06/14/18 4:11am

JorisE73

domainator2010 said:

JorisE73 said:


But the backend could still be Azure -> Microsoft.

Yes, it could. *I*, personally, have no idea what "Azure" is, I've just heard the name, and that it's something to do with "cloud".

Are you a programmer, Joris?


No, I'm an Infra Engineer. I use Azure for creating cloud based infrastructures.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 06/14/18 10:16am

domainator2010

So - what exactly IS "cloud" then? YOU can probably explain it better to us than most...? smile

I had once installed, or tried to install... XEN, yeeeeears ago. Is Azure Microsoft's version of that?? (You can take this to orgnote if you want.)

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 06/15/18 6:19am

SuperFurryAnim
al

avatar

I tried to but really suck at gaming. I like the concept but just not good enough a Jedi.

You better Watch Out! I'm a WAR MACHINE!
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 06/18/18 4:38am

domainator2010

JorisE73 said:


No, I'm an Infra Engineer. I use Azure for creating cloud based infrastructures.

Hello! Are u there?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 06/20/18 2:01am

JorisE73

domainator2010 said:

JorisE73 said:


No, I'm an Infra Engineer. I use Azure for creating cloud based infrastructures.

Hello! Are u there?



Explaining Azure is too much of a hassle, just read what it is, it is used for and the capabilities.
Learn things like PAAS, SAAS, IAAS etc.

https://azure.microsoft.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/...soft_Azure
http://flickstiq.com/micr...g-tutorial

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > Anybody do "cloud" gaming?