independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 22nd Sep 2018 10:06pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > Star Trek Part 5
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 06/11/18 2:44pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

kpowers said:

djThunderfunk said:


The first movie is pretty good, even if the premise that Nero changing events in the past created an alternate universe is bullshit... we all know that's now how it works in Star Trek. Maybe that happens in the Marvel Universe, but, in the Star Trek universe when you change something in the past it erases your history. We've seen this over and over again. Other than that, it's a fun movie.

The second one is pretty good for the first 2/3 of the movie, then suffers from some of the shittiest writing in Star Trek history for the final third of the movie.

The third one is just fine.

The casting for McCoy and Scottie are so good, surely you have to give them at least that.

OK the pro's and con of the new movies

Con's

Destroying the timeline, yet everyone seems to still have the same job/ Destroying Vulcan, WTF/ All of the inside of the Enterprise is HORRIBLE, looks like a department store. Benedict Cumberbatch as Kahn was bad casting. Tyler Perry cameo barf barf barf might as well throw in some Kardashians while your at it.

Pro's

The casting of the Kirk, Spock, and McCoy is good. Scotty ehhh, maybe played up to much for laughs. Stargate Atlantis actor Paul McGillion would have been a way better choice. The rest are ok I guess. John Cho being cast as Sulu was no big surprise there. I do like the new character of Keesner.

The Movies

Part 1. Over rated for some reason. Felt like watching Star Trek Nemesis, and people seem to put that movie down.

Part 2. ehhh, trying hard to follow the wrath of Khan and they failed. Once again Benedict Cumberbatch as Kahn was bad casting.

Part 3. People seem to find this movie the least popular of the 3 but I liked it the best. Getting tired of Idris Elba though.

I'm guessing they are planning on making two more movies. I hope in the last movie they restore the timeline, then I'll be a little less harsh on the movies. Honestly what a waisted opprotunity here. Would have been better showing Kirk taking right after Pike. Would only have Kirk, Spock and Scotty in the first movie. Kill off Dr. Piper and introduce Dr. McCoy at the end of part 1. The next movies slowly introduce Sulu and Uhura. Introduce Chekov towards the end but he can't be a bridge officer because Chekov didn't appear in the original series until season 2.

Image result for star trek keenserImage result for star trek dr. piper




All excellent points! Much better than "they don't count". biggrin wink

We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 06/12/18 4:53pm

kpowers

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

kpowers said:

OK the pro's and con of the new movies

Con's

Destroying the timeline, yet everyone seems to still have the same job/ Destroying Vulcan, WTF/ All of the inside of the Enterprise is HORRIBLE, looks like a department store. Benedict Cumberbatch as Kahn was bad casting. Tyler Perry cameo barf barf barf might as well throw in some Kardashians while your at it.

Pro's

The casting of the Kirk, Spock, and McCoy is good. Scotty ehhh, maybe played up to much for laughs. Stargate Atlantis actor Paul McGillion would have been a way better choice. The rest are ok I guess. John Cho being cast as Sulu was no big surprise there. I do like the new character of Keesner.

The Movies

Part 1. Over rated for some reason. Felt like watching Star Trek Nemesis, and people seem to put that movie down.

Part 2. ehhh, trying hard to follow the wrath of Khan and they failed. Once again Benedict Cumberbatch as Kahn was bad casting.

Part 3. People seem to find this movie the least popular of the 3 but I liked it the best. Getting tired of Idris Elba though.

I'm guessing they are planning on making two more movies. I hope in the last movie they restore the timeline, then I'll be a little less harsh on the movies. Honestly what a waisted opprotunity here. Would have been better showing Kirk taking right after Pike. Would only have Kirk, Spock and Scotty in the first movie. Kill off Dr. Piper and introduce Dr. McCoy at the end of part 1. The next movies slowly introduce Sulu and Uhura. Introduce Chekov towards the end but he can't be a bridge officer because Chekov didn't appear in the original series until season 2.

Image result for star trek keenserImage result for star trek dr. piper




All excellent points! Much better than "they don't count". biggrin wink

Well if the time line is not restored then all this does not count. Destroying Gene Roddenberry creation is wrong.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 06/12/18 6:17pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

kpowers said:

djThunderfunk said:


All excellent points! Much better than "they don't count". biggrin wink

Well if the time line is not restored then all this does not count. Destroying Gene Roddenberry creation is wrong.


Well, since they (falsely) claim that Nero's activities created a side universe (which is NOT what happens in Star Trek), I don't see them doing anything to restore the original timeline that they claim still exists.

That is my biggest issue with the new movies. I can get past just about every other nitpick, but since I can prove with many episodes & movies, across every series, that the original timeline was destroyed, I just can't accept that premise.

I just try not to think about it when I watch them.


We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 06/12/18 7:21pm

kpowers

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

kpowers said:

Well if the time line is not restored then all this does not count. Destroying Gene Roddenberry creation is wrong.


Well, since they (falsely) claim that Nero's activities created a side universe (which is NOT what happens in Star Trek), I don't see them doing anything to restore the original timeline that they claim still exists.

That is my biggest issue with the new movies. I can get past just about every other nitpick, but since I can prove with many episodes & movies, across every series, that the original timeline was destroyed, I just can't accept that premise.

I just try not to think about it when I watch them.


Yeah that is why I like part 3, it's like the first "own" story for the new movies

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 06/12/18 7:25pm

kpowers

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

kpowers said:

Well if the time line is not restored then all this does not count. Destroying Gene Roddenberry creation is wrong.


Well, since they (falsely) claim that Nero's activities created a side universe (which is NOT what happens in Star Trek), I don't see them doing anything to restore the original timeline that they claim still exists.

That is my biggest issue with the new movies. I can get past just about every other nitpick, but since I can prove with many episodes & movies, across every series, that the original timeline was destroyed, I just can't accept that premise.

I just try not to think about it when I watch them.


I just have this strange feeling in the last movie it will be. At the end you'll see them on the orignal set and in the unfiroms.

a123f9c2d241cbba18c75a094121acd698a5f6fd.jpg

[Edited 6/12/18 19:57pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 06/19/18 10:47pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

New Trek coming.

Patrick Stewart may be returning for one of several new Star Trek project, which include a Starfleet Academy series, a couple of mini-series (one of which will be about Kahn) and an animated series.

http://www.joblo.com/movi...roject-192



We were HERE, where were you?

4 those that knew the number and didn't call... fk all y'all!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > Star Trek Part 5