independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 11th Dec 2017 7:09am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > General Discussion > Antisocial Woman Pretends to Be Blind for 28 Years So She Wouldn’t Have to Greet People
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/07/17 11:57am

morningsong

avatar

Antisocial Woman Pretends to Be Blind for 28 Years So She Wouldn’t Have to Greet People

http://www.odditycentral....eople.html


28 years ago, Carmen Jiménez, from Madrid, Spain, became completely blind due to a serious eye injury. At least that’s what she told everyone, including her own family, because she was tired of having to say “hello” to people she didn’t actually want to greet.


News of Carmen’s mind-blowing deceit went viral on Latino news sites in both Europe and South America, but I am not at all convinced it is legit. It’s downright preposterous to believe that someone could fake blindness for so long without anyone noticing. Plus, doesn’t the Government test people before offering them financial aid for blindness? There is also no real proof that Carmen Jiménez actually exists, just the article from Hay Noticia, which was later picked up by other news outlets. I’d really be surprised if it turns out to be true, but if it does, this will probably be the craziest thing anyone has ever done.
“Do I dare Disturb the universe?”
― T.S. Eliot

“Only by acceptance of the past, can you alter it”
― T.S. Eliot
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/07/17 3:56pm

XxAxX

avatar

giggle masterful. i've known one or two older people who pretended to be hard of hearing so as not to have to respond to requests and such. also, to hear what people were saying when they thought no one could hear.... lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/07/17 5:04pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

I know ASL pretty well and may or may not occasionally use that to avoid interacting with people when I don't want to. If they assume I'm deaf, that's on them.
Murica: at least it's not Sudan.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/07/17 6:27pm

luvsexy4all

she sounds like my soul mate

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/07/17 6:44pm

Hudson

avatar

Horsefeathers said:

I know ASL pretty well and may or may not occasionally use that to avoid interacting with people when I don't want to. If they assume I'm deaf, that's on them.


I've tried that. People still scream "YOU CAN'T SAY HI?!?" at me.

Have yourself a merry little Christmas

It may be your last

Next year we may all be living in the past
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/07/17 7:05pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

Hudson said:



Horsefeathers said:


I know ASL pretty well and may or may not occasionally use that to avoid interacting with people when I don't want to. If they assume I'm deaf, that's on them.


I've tried that. People still scream "YOU CAN'T SAY HI?!?" at me.



My cousin who was raised alongside me as a sibling is deaf. People are ridiculous. They would often talk REALLY LOUDLY and REALLY SLOWLY and right up in his face, and my cousin would always sign furiously, "I just can't hear you; I'm not stupid. You're stupid!" Love me some him. :lol:

Most of the time in casual encounters, signing gets me off the hook because it's awkward for most people in casual contact who don't sign to be caught off guard, and there isn't enough of a relationship to bother trying. Most will smile awkwardly, avert eyes, and do their best to avoid any further contact. Except that rare bird who learned the alphabet in elementary school and now wants to attempt to slooooowly and paaaaainfully spell out something.

*20 minutes of interpretive dance and finger contorting* = HI
Murica: at least it's not Sudan.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/07/17 7:09pm

morningsong

avatar

Horsefeathers said:

Hudson said:


I've tried that. People still scream "YOU CAN'T SAY HI?!?" at me.

My cousin who was raised alongside me as a sibling is deaf. People are ridiculous. They would often talk REALLY LOUDLY and REALLY SLOWLY and right up in his face, and my cousin would always sign furiously, "I just can't hear you; I'm not stupid. You're stupid!" Love me some him. lol Most of the time in casual encounters, signing gets me off the hook because it's awkward for most people in casual contact who don't sign to be caught off guard, and there isn't enough of a relationship to bother trying. Most will smile awkwardly, avert eyes, and do their best to avoid any further contact. Except that rare bird who learned the alphabet in elementary school and now wants to attempt to sloooooooowly and paaaaaaaainfully spell out something. *20 minutes of interpretive dance and finger contorting* = HI



boxed that would be me




“Do I dare Disturb the universe?”
― T.S. Eliot

“Only by acceptance of the past, can you alter it”
― T.S. Eliot
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/07/17 7:27pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

Lol for what it's worth, I would politely wait and respond even if the goal was originally to get you to go away. I'm kind of a terrible person for faking it to begin with. lol
Murica: at least it's not Sudan.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/08/17 2:13pm

XxAxX

avatar

Horsefeathers said:

I know ASL pretty well and may or may not occasionally use that to avoid interacting with people when I don't want to. If they assume I'm deaf, that's on them.



on rare occasions i've pretended not to be able to hear someone. usually a stranger with a bad vibe or a stranger who is angry and trying to suck me in to their drama somehow.... society has no recourse when one person simply refuses to interact... smile i never do that to friends or family though

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/08/17 2:39pm

TD3

avatar

morningsong said:

http://www.odditycentral....eople.html 28 years ago, Carmen Jiménez, from Madrid, Spain, became completely blind due to a serious eye injury. At least that’s what she told everyone, including her own family, because she was tired of having to say “hello” to people she didn’t actually want to greet. News of Carmen’s mind-blowing deceit went viral on Latino news sites in both Europe and South America, but I am not at all convinced it is legit. It’s downright preposterous to believe that someone could fake blindness for so long without anyone noticing. Plus, doesn’t the Government test people before offering them financial aid for blindness? There is also no real proof that Carmen Jiménez actually exists, just the article from Hay Noticia, which was later picked up by other news outlets. I’d really be surprised if it turns out to be true, but if it does, this will probably be the craziest thing anyone has ever done.

Some people don't won't to be bothered.

I don't know too many women who don't have

stories about their personal space being violated...

by men, especially. I can understand if this happened,

why she facked blindness.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/08/17 4:59pm

Horsefeathers

avatar

XxAxX said:



Horsefeathers said:


I know ASL pretty well and may or may not occasionally use that to avoid interacting with people when I don't want to. If they assume I'm deaf, that's on them.



on rare occasions i've pretended not to be able to hear someone. usually a stranger with a bad vibe or a stranger who is angry and trying to suck me in to their drama somehow.... society has no recourse when one person simply refuses to interact... smile i never do that to friends or family though



Yes! Especially with women. Women who don't engage in conversation with even "Friendly" Strangers are often harassed as being rude, as if "Friendly" Strangers are in some way entitled to our time and attention, much less the Angry Ranter who feels entitled to an audience.
Murica: at least it's not Sudan.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/09/17 2:47am

Chancellor

avatar

What is in Madrid's drinking water? I just read an article about Madrid Officials Banning Manspreading on public transportation...Guys cannot spread their Legs on Buses/trains the entire Summer....People in New York would riot...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/09/17 3:05am

Guitarhero

avatar

So leaving room for my meat and two veg is manspreading. Ok i will try and put them in my pocket and feel uncomfortable razz Am always considerate when it comes to people's spaces be it a woman or a man and i like my own space too.

[Edited 6/9/17 3:08am]

Love and miss you so much Julita xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx heart Rest in Peace. I'm heartbroken bheart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/09/17 11:43am

morningsong

avatar

TD3 said:

morningsong said:

http://www.odditycentral....eople.html 28 years ago, Carmen Jiménez, from Madrid, Spain, became completely blind due to a serious eye injury. At least that’s what she told everyone, including her own family, because she was tired of having to say “hello” to people she didn’t actually want to greet. News of Carmen’s mind-blowing deceit went viral on Latino news sites in both Europe and South America, but I am not at all convinced it is legit. It’s downright preposterous to believe that someone could fake blindness for so long without anyone noticing. Plus, doesn’t the Government test people before offering them financial aid for blindness? There is also no real proof that Carmen Jiménez actually exists, just the article from Hay Noticia, which was later picked up by other news outlets. I’d really be surprised if it turns out to be true, but if it does, this will probably be the craziest thing anyone has ever done.

Some people don't won't to be bothered.

I don't know too many women who don't have

stories about their personal space being violated...

by men, especially. I can understand if this happened,

why she facked blindness.


I get not wanting to be bothered sometimes but everyday for 28 years is a serious commitment.

“Do I dare Disturb the universe?”
― T.S. Eliot

“Only by acceptance of the past, can you alter it”
― T.S. Eliot
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/09/17 2:38pm

XxAxX

avatar

Horsefeathers said:

XxAxX said:



on rare occasions i've pretended not to be able to hear someone. usually a stranger with a bad vibe or a stranger who is angry and trying to suck me in to their drama somehow.... society has no recourse when one person simply refuses to interact... smile i never do that to friends or family though

Yes! Especially with women. Women who don't engage in conversation with even "Friendly" Strangers are often harassed as being rude, as if "Friendly" Strangers are in some way entitled to our time and attention, much less the Angry Ranter who feels entitled to an audience.



precisely. one of those no-win situations. like that Jerry Seinfeld/Kesha hug thing lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/18/17 1:49pm

Android

I wouldn't call her antisocial, just a bit on the shy side. What I do on rare occasion is to pretend to be a foreigner, who doesn't speak the language.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/18/17 5:00pm

morningsong

avatar

This thread is still alive?

It's been debunked.


The hoax originated with the satirical Spanish website Hay Noticia, the tagline of which translates to "Don't believe everything on the internet." According to the satirical story, a 57-year-old woman named Carmen Jiménez faked being blind for almost three decades because she didn't like small talk. "I was tired of seeing people and stopping to say hello. I've never been very social, and pretending to be blind has avoided many social commitments," the fictitious Jiménez is quoted as saying.



It sure would take a lot of discipline though.

“Do I dare Disturb the universe?”
― T.S. Eliot

“Only by acceptance of the past, can you alter it”
― T.S. Eliot
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > General Discussion > Antisocial Woman Pretends to Be Blind for 28 Years So She Wouldn’t Have to Greet People